• Biome 3

Votes: 283 15.6%
  • Biome 4

Votes: 53 2.9%
  • Biome 5

Votes: 115 6.3%
  • Biome 6

Votes: 51 2.8%
  • I have beaten the game/Playing on NG+!

Votes: 881 48.6%

• Total voters

Donos

Nov 15, 2017

Free update. March 22

Returnal™: Ascension adds Co-op Mode, allowing you to share your entire journey* through the shifting labyrinth of Atropos with another player.**

This update also adds The Tower of Sisyphus – accessible as long as you've unlocked the Icarian Grapnel.* It's an ascending gauntlet of increasingly dangerous phases, with each containing twenty floors. Upon entry, eliminate all the enemies on each floor and secure your passage to the next one up. Just be ready for what you might encounter within…

Shieeeeeeet.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I started a fresh run today and quickly realized that this game has not lost any of its fascination although I had beaten it so many times. The movement, gunplay, atmosphere, music, sound design: absolutely outstanding. It´s melancholic and vicious, haunting and soothing. You`re not the one consuming it, it`s consuming you.
And I still believe Phrike is the toughest boss; that fucking witch nearly killed me again.

Last edited:

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Tower mode sounds too damn good. I hope the patch also includes some stealth rebalancing for the survey log appearance rates, I had to give up on the platinum at launch because of that RNG.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I started playing this again to get my bearings back for the update. Fuck this game is so so so good. Also, I found freaking scout log 9 in the first biome which was eluding me for so freaking long. So now I'm kinda thinking I go for the Platinum. It still seems kinda daunting but this particular scout log was holding me back from even attempting it.

BobSaac2

Jan 6, 2021
I wish they would implement a way, so you can be more likely to find certain Artifacts. Playing with the Overload Bolts completely changes the game. It's probably going to be an absolute must for deep runs in the endless mode.

Every time I'm starting a new run, I'll spend at least a few minutes getting to the shop ASAP, and just re-starting the run if there's not a single cool Artifact (Overload Bolts and Recharging Overload are the best ones).

y0shizawa

May 3, 2021
I've finally picked this game up, and have been enjoying the gameplay by itself. But does anyone have a link to an article / video that explains the mechanic properly & how to anticipate / read the random environments?

So far I've not progressed beyond the first Biome because I'll either get quite far then hit a wall with progressing to a new area (after I've unlocked travelling); or I'll really quickly stumble across a mini boss (?) who will stomp me because I'm underpowered as its so early in a run

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
I've finally picked this game up, and have been enjoying the gameplay by itself. But does anyone have a link to an article / video that explains the mechanic properly & how to anticipate / read the random environments?

So far I've not progressed beyond the first Biome because I'll either get quite far then hit a wall with progressing to a new area (after I've unlocked travelling); or I'll really quickly stumble across a mini boss (?) who will stomp me because I'm underpowered as its so early in a run
Rectangular doors (on the map) are the main path. Triangular doors are side paths that ultimately lead to dead ends. Big golden doors are challenge rooms (1 per biome). Red doors are the boss (1 per biome).

I think that's the only information you get on what's coming up.

y0shizawa

May 3, 2021
Rectangular doors (on the map) are the main path. Triangular doors are side paths that ultimately lead to dead ends. Big golden doors are challenge rooms (1 per biome). Red doors are the boss (1 per biome).

I think that's the only information you get on what's coming up.

Thank you so much — that's really clear!

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
It's happening.

returnal-contents.jpg

Via BlipBlop

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
I've been hard at work at 100%'ing the Databank. It's just as crazy and gruesome as it sounds. You have to collect around 1700 unique artifacts to theoretically hit 100% on all of them... the problem is when you have 100% on most artifacts but one is stuck at like 5% completion lol (looking at you Music Box...) and others sit at like 30%. I've completed every hostile databank entry to full, and have 4 weapon traits left to hit to level 3, with two of them halfway done. Still have a lot left in terms of artifact hunting, will probably spam biomes 1 and 2 for best results once I finish all of the traits.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I've been hard at work at 100%'ing the Databank. It's just as crazy and gruesome as it sounds. You have to collect around 1700 unique artifacts to theoretically hit 100% on all of them... the problem is when you have 100% on most artifacts but one is stuck at like 5% completion lol (looking at you Music Box...) and others sit at like 30%. I've completed every hostile databank entry to full, and have 4 weapon traits left to hit to level 3, with two of them halfway done. Still have a lot left in terms of artifact hunting, will probably spam biomes 1 and 2 for best results once I finish all of the traits.

Oh, man, I did this. I'm at 65% on the music box, everything else is complete.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
So close!! Good luck.

Also is it just me or do Music Boxes not spawn in locked containers? They only ever seem to come from fabricators and coffer containers

Best places are the bio 6 coffers or randomiser fabs, iirc. Sometimes behind fake walls in bio 1. I hope there's a better drop rate after this DLC as it's annoyed me for a while.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017

Should be releasing in three and half days according to PS game sizes.

Oh, we already had a date? Totally missed that.

J_Macgrady

Oct 25, 2017
The update convinced me to go for the platinum. Almost done with the collectibles in the first biome. Gonna be a little annoying having to go through the game a bunch because of RNG with the items, but the game is very fun so it shouldn't be too bad. Plus, I don't have to do boss battles anymore so that's good. Gonna take my time with it as I have other games to play, but it's gonna happen sometime this year.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
I think I'm going to hold on the databank completion. Realized that there are 16(?) bugged entries and even after completing the databank you don't have a nice and even grid to screenshot and show off :( ah well, new update soon!

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm going to hold on the databank completion. Realized that there are 16(?) bugged entries and even after completing the databank you don't have a nice and even grid to screenshot and show off :( ah well, new update soon!

What do you mean by it being bugged? I've got about 24 grid entries that aren't filled even though I'm at 💯 for everything except the music box.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
What do you mean by it being bugged? I've got about 24 grid entries that aren't filled even though I'm at 💯 for everything except the music box.

Looking on Reddit there are people that have gotten 100% but for some reason the databank isn't fully cleared for them. Might be something hidden like checking the xenoglyphs multiple times.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Bad news, hopped in for a bit for the first time since launch and.. I suck at this game again.

This tower is about to wreck my shit ✌️

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017

Just bought it. Bargain! Thanks for the tip.

Will go great with this record that I picked up back when I was first obsessed with the game. You may recognize it... It's actually kind of interesting. The texture they used is from a 7" single of just Don't Fear the Reaper, but then they put it on a full-size 12" record in the house in the game.
KRrrrmH.jpg

Last edited:

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, made it to phase 3 on my first run. It's so fucking good!
Me too. Made it about halfway through phase 3 before I just couldn't overcome my second permanent malfunction.

So awesome. And they added story stuff!

Also, two things I learned:

1 - Nullification spheres definitely don't work on the permanent malfunctions. Even the one you can buy from a fabricator. I stupidly bought one and... yeah, that was a waste of money.

why did I buy one? because

2 - The permanent malfunction of 'hostiles return fire on hit' is absolutely brutal. I got that one after beating the boss the second time and... it's terrible. Having even easy enemies return fire on every hit is bad. Having harder enemies return fire on every hit is really bad.

Is it possible to dodge the permanent malfunctions that the boss shoots when it dies? I tried to dash through and no dice, seems it's just guaranteed to give you one each time.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I really enjoyed what I´ve played of the new content so far. With the Tower they somewhat fixed my biggest complaints about the main game: low replayability and lack of challenge.
The lore stuff is more interesting than I thought and the new story sequences are quite haunting, imo. The leveldesign is surprisingly good, I´m glad they didn`t just make some simple arenas to fight in, but created what basically are areas that would fit in the main game.
I can see myself playing this regulary. So far I made it to 3-20, got the boss down to 10% health or so and died. :-/

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Co-op is so freaking great. I'm so happy they added this!!

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
The soundtrack is up for pre-order on Milan Records (US)

milan-records.myshopify.com

Bobby Krlic - Returnal (Original Soundtrack) - Vinyl LP

Returnal is a roguelike psychological third-person shooter developed by Housemarque and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment. Set in a futuristic universe, the game follows Selene, a cosmic explorer and pilot, who lands on the planet Atropos in search of a mysterious signal. The situation...

Last edited:

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I played a bit of Tower, 2 runs. Impressions

The levels are great
Fighting unique mixes of enemies is fantastic
Restored the feeling of fear and tension that the main game used to give me before I mastered it

Only negatives are that runs take a while (my second run, only to mid phase 3, was quite a while) and I worry that they could start to feel samey. But for what is free content to a game that's already provided incredible value, I have no real complaint.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Tower is more of the same for me. I enjoy the game's core but outside of the boss fights it still doesn't feel it delivers that much on bullet hell, presumably because one of my other gripes which is that the majority of the time I take damage is because of something I couldn't see either because it was off screen or because the tell was obscured by VFX. It's fun, but I just find the game hard to love.