Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I think adding saves would hurt the game experience. If you save before a boss, then upload your save to the cloud, then die on the boss, you can start again right before the boss by downloading your save. This is the reason saving mid-run is not an option. All of sudden you could just keep fighting bosses over and over until you win. The game is good because of how intense the boss fights are. Knowing you can just save scum and be right back at the boss in a minute vs 45 minutes takes away the intensity of these fights in my opinion.

I have no idea who is putting together multi-hour runs and losing their progress in rest mode. Like how can any run take that long?? I'm only on biome 3 but all of my runs are around 45 minutes or less and I scour every item and every alternate path on the way to a boss.
1. People are just asking for a save-upon-exit option like Hades and other roguelites offer. The save deletes itself when you start the game back up.

2. if other players do find a way to save scum then like, that's their choice. Doesn't affect my experience.

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
I think adding saves would hurt the game experience. If you save before a boss, then upload your save to the cloud, then die on the boss, you can start again right before the boss by downloading your save. This is the reason saving mid-run is not an option. All of sudden you could just keep fighting bosses over and over until you win. The game is good because of how intense the boss fights are. Knowing you can just save scum and be right back at the boss in a minute vs 45 minutes takes away the intensity of these fights in my opinion.

I have no idea who is putting together multi-hour runs and losing their progress in rest mode. Like how can any run take that long?? I'm only on biome 3 but all of my runs are around 45 minutes or less and I scour every item and every alternate path on the way to a boss.
Didn't hurt Hades. Some of us share systems with others.

Also, if someone is that determined to cheat, why should it bother you? You're not affected.

The4thJeazy

May 14, 2020
I like the additional haptics additions. I'm gonna keep working on the platinum over the weekend to see if I can get it before the update. Only 4 more research trophies dammit!

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
They are adding a save feature so obviously the devs don't agree with you.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
Scout Log 9 drop chance was the hardest enemy of the game by far

Nice to see it will be easier to find

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
I think a save and quit feature would be nice at the start of a biome. Now that I've played through all the acts, I feel completely unstoppable, and the idea of adding a "save anywhere" option seems completely unnecessary, but having some option would be nice for people that share a PS5 and so on.

Also, the game definitely gets easier the more you play, and not because of your skill improving, but because of additional artifacts being unlocked. The more you unlock, the more likely they are to be available in those 75 coin random generators, or chests for that matter. Gets to the point where you are destroying artifacts you don't like because you have so many. So, even if you suck, as long as you keep unlocking artifacts, it'll get easier and easier.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017

most of this can be chalked up to "who gives a shit??"
honestly why do I care if someone wants to do that to beat a boss fight? I just want to be able to play the game simultaneous with other shit, instead it's staying in the backlog since ratchet is out

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017

didn't even know you could do this. Figure there'd be a way around it. The way I see it, that save would be single use and not impact the game experience in any way. Like rest state, except reliable.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
kinda think for the folks complaining about not having a auto save system and haven't played the game are kinda not understanding how the game is structured.

gonna put in spoilers some design aspects of the game

a) no, you dont have to start from the very beggining through out the game. after you beat biome 3, you start from biome 4 each run
b) there's short cuts. once you beat a boss, you can go to the next biome. so for example, when i beat the game, the run took like 30-40 mins to complete

just throwing that out there to make things a little more clear about how it's actually not that big of a deal saving mid runs. but yeah, sure, the game could use them anyway

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I'm still on the original version with the USB keyboard cheat.

Question, (I have digital version) if I delete the game and redownload....with is be the newest patched version or would I have to download the newest patch after competing the download? I think PS3 worked this way. Don't recall what PS4 did.

OP
OP
Neuromancer

Neuromancer

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
They said they're looking into it but nothing is confirmed. That said, I do think they'll do it but it'll take more time.

Newsletter Axios quotes marketing bigwig Mikael Haveri as saying that the firm's "looking into improving the game's limited save system [but hasn't] decided on the best approach to take".
www.pushsquare.com

Returnal's Save System Still Being Investigated, New Content in the Works

Housemarque still not sure on best approach to save issues

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
This almost makes me want to return just to go for the platinum. It's such a remarkably good game that I feel like going back even though I've exhausted the stuff I normally go to a game for. The gameplay is just perfect.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Love the game, but not having a mid run save was a stupid design choice. Though they have said they are looking into one…

Since I've beaten all 3 acts this update interests me since it's what I needed to hear to try for the platinum.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Ok I'll wait for this patch to complete my platinum... I may already have it. lol

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MASSIVE kuds to anyone to platted this before the patch, I'm more tempted now with the upcoming changes. Fuck the RNG trophiwho

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Haha maybe I'll actually try to get the platinum trophy now. I was horrified to hear how many hours people were spending on it.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Been waiting for this. I have minor clean up in Biomes 2 and 3 for the platinum, but crashes and save corruptions made me put the game down 2 weeks ago. I wanna get the Returnal plat squared away before I really dive into Ratchet and FFVII Intergrade…and ME3, and Guilty Gear Strive, and Virtua Fighter 5 US.

My PS5 is an embarrassment of riches right now.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Was hoping this was the patch that added saves, ah well. Definitely want to play it eventually but willing to wait a few more months.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
I don't think they're arrogant, I think they just didn't realize the problems this would cause people. I have no doubt they're working on it but it's going to be a while, the game came out about a month ago so give it some time.
I don't think that's even remotely possible.

You mean to tell me not a single person in the studio has a family?
Kids that share a console?
Plays more than 1 title at a time?
Has auto-updates on?
Has enough gaming time for the length of runs in this game?

This is 1000% arrogance.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
1. People are just asking for a save-upon-exit option like Hades and other roguelites offer. The save deletes itself when you start the game back up.

2. if other players do find a way to save scum then like, that's their choice. Doesn't affect my experience.
Didn't hurt Hades. Some of us share systems with others.

Also, if someone is that determined to cheat, why should it bother you? You're not affected.
most of this can be chalked up to "who gives a shit??"
honestly why do I care if someone wants to do that to beat a boss fight? I just want to be able to play the game simultaneous with other shit, instead it's staying in the backlog since ratchet is out
Thats cool if the devs want to add a save mode. Doesn't bother me either way. Just offering an explanation as to why they omitted it. I still would like to know who is putting together multi hour runs though.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely into these balance updates. Too many runs just feel too unforgiving and the time investment to make "progress" can be maddening.

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought Valhalla and Ratchet so I don't see myself going back to Returnal at the moment, but this is very cool. Hopefully we'll see the save function and some new content in the near future now that the game is (hopefully) getting more stable. I think that'll be when I jump back in.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
Not everyone has the time to finish a game in one sitting... they need to add saves ASAP.

You don't need to finish the game in one sitting though.

After each level the games saves that as a "checkpoint" so you don't have to replay levels.

The issue is some levels take quite a bit of time.

I don't disagree with you since a lot of people are probably holding off due to missing the ability to save mid run. However, based on other HM games I've played I truly don't think any save system is on the way anytime soon.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

Has auto-updates on?

This is 1000% arrogance.

They make arcade style games so this kind of stuff is their pedigree to an extent. To them stuff like no mid run save is not a surprising choice. I'd say they probably weren't expecting this to some extent.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Nice patch! Some really good news for platinum trophy hunters in there.

I was interested in picking this up- but what was the big "saving" issue people were having? Should I wait on this?

I wouldn't wait. Returnal is really something special. The gameplay is in a class by itself and I hope some other developers are taking notes: this is how a third-person, high-mobility shooter should be done.

What's missing is "save and quit", you can't save the game mid-run. But, it's really not a big deal: a full, successful act I or act II run takes two hours at most. The majority of your runs are going to be much shorter on average.

No such announcement has been made. Housemarque is currently "looking into it".

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Couldn't care less about saves, I like the risk element of how it's set up currently but GIMME MY GODDAMNED TROPHIES. Thx.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017

Has auto-updates on?

This is 1000% arrogance.

I think it is less arrogance and just a more archaic way of looking at games. They specialize in arcade games. Returnal is, to me, an arcade game at its core. You need to have at least one hour of time set aside if you're going to play it. (Most arcade games can be completed in about an hour). You can definitely clear a single biome in one hour, which unlocks the shortcut to the next biome. Arcade games are hard. You die in them all the time. But, simply playing the game is supposed to be fun. If you die, so what? If the gameplay is super tight and fun, that's the reason why you're playing, not stat progression.

That's a pretty old way to look at games, though. I can see most people thinking it is dumb and it isn't "respecting their time", which I get, but I also respect developers that basically say, well, maybe the game isn't for you, which is also fine.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Excellent update, will jump in Monday to clean up some trophies.

This is a rogue game, not an adventure RPG.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Just add saves already, I'd love to continue playing the game but I'm just not into getting frustrated as fuck while gaming.