Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Apple (AAPL.O) has offered to let rivals access its tap-and-go mobile payments systems used for mobile wallets, three people familiar with the matter said, a move that could settle EU antitrust charges and stave off a possible hefty fine.

The EU competition enforcer last year charged Apple with curbing rivals' access to its tap-and-go technology, Near-Field Communication (NFC), making it difficult for them to develop rival services on Apple devices.

It said this benefited Apple Pay, Apple's own mobile wallet solution on iPhones and iPads, and pointed to the company's significant market power in the market for smart mobile devices and dominance in mobile wallet markets.

The European Commission is likely to seek feedback next month from rivals and customers before deciding whether to accept Apple's offer, the people said.

They said the timing of the market test and whether it will go ahead could still change.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is good. and I'm a big Apple fan. These tech companies have been ignored for too long. Probably too little too late at this time.

I'd love Amazon retail and AWS split--by legal force. I'd love Youtube spun off from Google. Instagram to be spun off from Meta, etc.

These companies are way too powerful.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
this is so bad, why can't my whole life be owned by apple with zero competitors to them???

/s

This is really good

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
EU is making moves holy moly, let's go! :D

YawZah

Oct 30, 2017
Would this only be for financial services or could you potentially have say a travel card use Apple's NFC? Some really interesting possibilities.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the fines would actually be bad for them, then? It's almost like fining these companies more than pocket change can be beneficial.

Fossora

Jun 14, 2023
This is good. and I'm a big Apple fan. These tech companies have been ignored for too long. Probably too little too late at this time.

I'd love Amazon retail and AWS split--by legal force. I'd love Youtube spun off from Google. Instagram to be spun off from Meta, etc.

Isn't YouTube struggling to be profitable? If it were split from Google/Alphabet I dread to think how they'd make it work financially without making the site (somehow) even worse. Then again I'm not totally sure how these things usually work.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I think a significant portion of Apple users prefer to have all the apps from the App Store, all their credit cards in Apple Pay, etc. I am one of them. I hope that can continue.
Why would it not continue? You would still have the option to use Apple Pay like you want to. This just gives those that don't want to use Apple Pay more options. On Android you can pick which app you want use and ignore all the other ones. I would assume it would be implemented similarly.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I fear some Apple users will have a breakdown and might start burning EU flags.
/jk

This is good.
A lot of banking apps offer NFC payment, and that isn't an option on IPhone.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't YouTube struggling to be profitable? If it were split from Google/Alphabet I dread to think how they'd make it work financially without making the site (somehow) even worse. Then again I'm not totally sure how these things usually work.
It's not struggling at all.

www.theverge.com

YouTube is a $15 billion-a-year business, Google reveals for the first time

Turns out YouTube is a big moneymaker for Google.

Moreover, it's not about the financials. Alphabet controls most of Search advertising and also online video advertising with Youtube. That's just ridiculous.

Yeah, there's TikTok coming up, but that's not a long form format. Youtube remains unchallenged.

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Make it a subscription service maybe? I mean it offers more video content than even Netflix, all for free.

Building an entire video platform off of ads was always going to be shaky ground.

Fossora

Jun 14, 2023
It's not struggling at all.

www.theverge.com

YouTube is a $15 billion-a-year business, Google reveals for the first time

Turns out YouTube is a big moneymaker for Google.

Moreover, it's not about the financials. Alphabet controls most of Search advertising and also online video advertising with Youtube. That's just ridiculous.

Yeah, there's TikTok coming up, but that's not a long form format. Youtube remains unchallenged.

I don't see anything here about how much it costs to run the platform unless I'm missing it. I know it wasn't profitable for years because the cost of storing & serving that much video is monumental, and I didn't see anything recently suggesting it's profitable as of yet either.

YouTube 100% remains untouched for long form factor content, but that's only because of the reasons outlined above. There's probably less than a dozen companies in the world that can provide unlimited video storage & streaming for free, & Google is one of them.

Make it a subscription service maybe? I mean it offers more video content than even Netflix, all for free.

Building an entire video platform off of ads was always going to be shaky ground.

It feels somewhat inevitable that there will be more of a push for paid subscribers. We're already seeing it a bit with the penny pinching from adblock users.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm convinced a significant portion of people would fork over their entire lives to Apple if it was possible. They wouldn't even think twice about it.
Please tell me you just copy-pasted some random Youtube comment v_v
Android doesn't so it would be a really stupid move if they did. And I'm not sure they can tbh
Yeah i think something like that has like 0,0001% chances of happening, but i'm curious to know if it's even possible

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see anything here about how much it costs to run the platform unless I'm missing it. I know it wasn't profitable for years because the cost of storing & serving that much video is monumental, and I didn't see anything recently suggesting it's profitable as of yet either.

YouTube 100% remains untouched for long form factor content, but that's only because of the reasons outlined above. There's probably less than a dozen companies in the world that can provide unlimited video storage & streaming for free, & Google is one of them.

It feels somewhat inevitable that there will be more of a push for paid subscribers. We're already seeing it a bit with the penny pinching from adblock users.
Your argument is missing the market power of Youtube. No idea why you're focused on operating costs here. Who cares? Google has two powerful entities that control a big chunk of the internet.

Amazon Retail was a lost leader for decades, yet had massive market power. It's basically subsidized by AWS. Should Amazon remain intact?

Moreover, Amazon used that market power to undercut others via Amazon Basics. Yet, again, Amazon Retail operated at loss for decades. Again, your argument misses this based on profitability as a metric. That's not the only thing considered in anti-trust law.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Why would it not continue?
Well, as an example, if developers can opt out of the App Store in favor of alternate stores with lower rates and keeping users CC information themselves as opposed to letting Apple handle it, that could create a wild west situation where some apps are only available in certain stores. I certainly do not want that. I know Tinder did that to skirt Googles fees once on Android.

Then again, theoretically that would encourage Apple to lower their rates. But, I don't think Apple is exactly the company in the habit of lowering prices.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Well, as an example, if developers can opt out of the App Store in favor of alternate stores with lower rates and keeping users CC information themselves as opposed to letting Apple handle it, that could create a wild west situation where some apps are only available in certain stores. I certainly do not not want. I know Tinder did that to skirt Googles fees once on Android.

Then again, theoretically that would encourage Apple to lower their rates. But, I don't think Apple is exactly the company in the habit of lowering prices.
I don't think this should be a concern at all. Like I said Apple's competitor already does this and it is nothing like this. You just choose which payment app you want to us, authorize your card with your bank and keep it moving.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019

The whole concept of YT, and other big 'free' media platforms like Twitch, is just kinda wack when looking at the big picture.

Building a big media platform off of ads is shaky ground, but at the same time it only has content because it is free and therefor provides reach. It's not sustainable.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm convinced a significant portion of people would fork over their entire lives to Apple if it was possible. They wouldn't even think twice about it.
To be fair, you can say that about a lot of soulless monopolies these days. People have already shown that they are willing to give up their privacy and safety for the sake of convenience.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I think a significant portion of Apple users prefer to have all the apps from the App Store, all their credit cards in Apple Pay, etc. I am one of them. I hope that can continue.
You don't have to not get things from the appstore if you don't want to. Anything that would be there, will still be there.

You just now have the option to get things elsewhere if it wouldn't have been on the appstore

Most people on Android get things from the Google Play Store, but I can also load an app that isn't there if I wanted to... I usually don't but the option is nice to have when I do.

Last edited:

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I kinda get that (aside from finding it strange not to want to install your banks app) but the way Apple goes around doing this is clearly taking advantage of their marketshare in smartphones to gain marketshare in payment processing and that's obviously not gonna be allowed.

As you said most people just want to use Apple Pay so in practice I don't think a whole lot will change.

Fossora

Jun 14, 2023
Your argument is missing the market power of Youtube. No idea why you're focused on operating costs here. Who cares? Google has two powerful entities that control a big chunk of the internet.

Amazon Retail was a lost leader for decades, yet had massive market power. It's basically subsidized by AWS. Should Amazon remain intact?

Moreover, Amazon used that market power to undercut others via Amazon Basics. Yet, again, Amazon Retail operated at loss for decades. Again, your argument misses this based on profitability as a metric. That's not the only thing considered in anti-trust law.

Well if YouTube in isolation costs more to run than it brings in then it being sectioned off from the funding of Alphabet/Google is probably going to turn the platform into a worse experience for everyone involved, which is my primary concern (though not the primary concern of an anti-trust hearing as you rightly point out). Personally, I'd rather have Alphabet control a bit too much while having YouTube remain as-is than have a YouTube desperately chasing profitability as its own thing.

Amazon retail replaced a perfectly functional system with something more convenient while YouTube created something grander than everything that came before it. I'd personally rather live in a world without Amazon retail in general, since starting a Rube Goldberg machine of human misery for same day delivery of some tat that's not really needed just feels so horrific to me.

I'm 100% coming at this from a user of a service POV rather than that of an anti-trust POV, where again, you're absolutely right to point out Alphabet/Amazon control way too much of the internet. I just don't want YouTube getting any worse.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Well if YouTube in isolation costs more to run than it brings in then it being sectioned off from the funding of Alphabet/Google is probably going to turn the platform into a worse experience for everyone involved, which is my primary concern (though not the primary concern of an anti-trust hearing as you rightly point out). Personally, I'd rather have Alphabet control a bit too much while having YouTube remain as-is than have a YouTube desperately chasing profitability as its own thing.

Amazon retail replaced a perfectly functional system with something more convenient while YouTube created something grander than everything that came before it. I'd personally rather live in a world without Amazon retail in general, since starting a Rube Goldberg machine of human misery for same day delivery of some tat that's not really needed just feels so horrific to me.

I'm 100% coming at this from a user of a service POV rather than that of an anti-trust POV, where again, you're absolutely right to point out Alphabet/Amazon control way too much of the internet. I just don't want YouTube getting any worse.
Sounds like you want a public utility then. If online video provides a benefit like you said and market conditions can't sustain it, that's what public utilities or non profits are for.

I think it can survive on its own.

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You underestimate how valuable your shopping habits and payment information are, and how much financial institutions and retailers would like to harvest that data. Forcing you to use their app allows that.

Well, like I said the solution Apple created for this was never going to stay because of how inherently anti-competitive it is. Apple created a solution for this problem which guaranteed them a market share in payment processing because you have no choice on iOS. I'm not saying that it is not an issue but Apple's solution is bad.

The reason I think not much will change in practice is because the cat's out of the bag already. People already prefer Apple Pay and unless some bank proves that ditching Apple Pay won't lose them customers. No bank probably will.

(I do have to wonder why you are using a bank who is selling your data but I guess all US banks might do that)

Last edited:

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
This will be great for non-financial applications like transportation or identification

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
You underestimate how valuable your shopping habits and payment information are, and how much financial institutions and retailers would like to harvest that data. Forcing you to use their app allows that.
Well, yeah, that's why Apple wanted use their position in the market to force everyone to use their app.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands

Word, should have happened long ago. It's just wild how big these tech companies are allowed to get when Apple is already considerably larger than Standard Oil was at the time.