• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
TikTok owner ByteDance would prefer to shut down its loss-making app rather than sell it if the Chinese company exhausts all legal options to fight legislation to ban the platform from app stores in the U.S., four sources said.

The algorithms TikTok relies on for its operations are deemed core to ByteDance's overall operations, which would make a sale of the app with algorithms highly unlikely, said the sources close to the parent.

TikTok accounts for a small share of ByteDance's total revenues and daily active users, so the parent would rather have the app shut down in the U.S. in a worst case scenario than sell it to a potential American buyer, they said.

ByteDance does not publicly disclose its financial performance or the financial details of any of its units. The company continues to make most of its money in China, mainly from its other apps such as Douyin, the Chinese equivalent of TikTok, separate sources have said.

The U.S. accounted for about 25% of TikTok's overall revenues last year, said a separate source with direct knowledge.

ByteDance's 2023 revenues rose to nearly $120 billion in 2023 from $80 billion in 2022, said two of the four sources. TikTok's daily active users in the U.S. also make up just about 5% of ByteDance's DAUs worldwide, said one of the sources.
TikTok shares the same core algorithms with ByteDance domestic apps like short video platform Douyin, three of the sources said. Its algorithms are considered better than ByteDance rivals such as Tencent and Xiaohongshu, said one of them.

It would be impossible to divest TikTok with its algorithms as their intellectual property licence is registered under ByteDance in China and thus difficult to disentangle from the parent company, said the sources.

Moreover, separating the algorithms from TikTok's U.S. assets would be an extremely complicated procedure and ByteDance is unlikely to consider that option, the sources added.

China indicated it would be likely to reject a forced divestment of the TikTok app during a U.S. congressional hearing in March last year.

"China will firmly oppose it (the forced sale of TikTok)," said a spokeswoman for the Ministry of Commerce at a news conference in Beijing in late March 2023.

"The sale or divestiture of TikTok involves technology export and must go through administrative licensing procedures in accordance with Chinese laws and regulations."

China in 2020 unveiled the Export Control Law and the final text extended the definition of "controlled items" from prior drafts. According to state media, the amendment ensures that the exports of algorithms, source codes and similar data are subject to an approval process.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I assume Biden's gonna have a bad time at the election if it's actually shutdown and if he gets blamed for this?

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
A few key bullet points to address some unconvincing arguments I saw in the other thread, in the hope it might convince some of the opponents of the ban that a Tik tok divest order is actually warranted for the USA:

• China's authoritarian control over TikTok and the potential national security risks outweigh any purported benefits of the app as a tool for left-wing organizing.

• China's National Intelligence Law requires organizations to "support, assist and cooperate with the state intelligence work." The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) also embeds officials within major companies to influence decisions.

• The notion that ByteDance could refuse directives from Xi Jinping's regime is naive at best.

• The Chinese government is currently carrying out a horrific genocide against Uyghur Muslims, with over a million detained in concentration camps. They cannot be trusted

• China has already demonstrated its willingness to censor and manipulate TikTok content globally, as reported by the Washington Post in 2019.

• Even if direct censorship has abated, China can use TikTok's algorithms to promote or suppress certain content, shaping the information users see without their knowledge.

• China is already using these manipulation techniques in disinformation campaigns targeting Taiwan on Twitter and YouTube, as found by a recent study from the Australian Strategic Policy Institute. These efforts were not as unsophisticated as some people in the other thread claim. And even if they were, people learn. The PRC will learn.

• ByteDance has already used TikTok to spy on journalists, demonstrating the real-world consequences

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
This has been pretty much the common wisdom, yeah.

I assume Biden's gonna have a bad time at the election if it's actually shutdown and if he gets blamed for this?

He'll be blamed for it as long as the legal fight goes on too.

Any benefits of using TikTok for progressive activism are dwarfed by the long-term risks of allowing China to surveil Americans, harvest their data, and manipulate their political discourse.

No idea why that should worry me more than my state government surveilling me on American apps and taking my data. My state government tried to steal trans kids from their parents and wants all the records of women seeking abortion elsewhere.

They are a far more immediate threat to me than China.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
A few key bullet points to address some unconvincing arguments I saw in the other thread, in the hope it might convince some of the opponents of the ban that a Tik tok divest order is actually warranted for the USA:

• China's authoritarian control over TikTok and the potential national security risks outweigh any purported benefits of the app as a tool for left-wing organizing.

• China's National Intelligence Law requires organizations to "support, assist and cooperate with the state intelligence work." The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) also embeds officials within major companies to influence decisions.

• The notion that ByteDance could refuse directives from Xi Jinping's regime is naive at best.

• The Chinese government is currently carrying out a horrific genocide against Uyghur Muslims, with over a million detained in concentration camps. They cannot be trusted

• China has already demonstrated its willingness to censor and manipulate TikTok content globally, as reported by the Washington Post in 2019.

• Even if direct censorship has abated, China can use TikTok's algorithms to promote or suppress certain content, shaping the information users see without their knowledge.

• China is already using these manipulation techniques in disinformation campaigns targeting Taiwan on Twitter and YouTube, as found by a recent study from the Australian Strategic Policy Institute.

• Any benefits of using TikTok for progressive activism are dwarfed by the long-term risks of allowing China to surveil Americans, harvest their data, and manipulate their political discourse.

• There are plenty of alternative social media platforms progressives can use to organize that don't pose the same national security threats as TikTok.

• ByteDance has already used TikTok to spy on journalists, demonstrating the real-world consequences
The US does pretty much the same things with our social media networks. How quickly we forget. Your point about genocide also rings hollow considering the US' stance on the genocide in Palestine.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Id say that's too optimistic, If the owners of Tik Tok were smart they'd just pull the plug on US access days before the election and just blame it on Biden.

I'd be surprised if they didn't have an ad to that effect before the elections.

The US does pretty much the same things with our social media networks. How quickly we forget. Your point about genocide also rings hollow considering the US' stance on the genocide in Palestine.

This.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Oh well.

• China is already using these manipulation techniques in disinformation campaigns targeting Taiwan on Twitter and YouTube, as found by a recent study from the Australian Strategic Policy Institute. These efforts were not as unsophisticated as some people in the other thread claim. And even if they were, people learn. The PRC will learn.

Great post.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Whoever decided on that deadline for TikTok was smart, being after the election. Which means it's either our problem, but people have already voted us in again, or it's their problem.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017

I feel like some of these points are very debatable.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
This has been pretty much the common wisdom, yeah.

No idea why that should worry me more than my state government surveilling me on American apps and taking my data. My state government tried to steal trans kids from their parents and wants all the records of women seeking abortion elsewhere.

They are a far more immediate threat to me than China.

But...but...but...

That's EXACTLY why it should worry you!!! China would boost that evil moron who tries to steal trans kids from their parents and outlaws abortion! This is not outlandish! Putin did it! And not for ideological reasons. The play is to boost the extreme right and find wedge issues that increase divisiveness and polarization to fuck up the country internally and paralyze it with division. Poison all rational discourse.

Did you see how many months Johnson delayed the Ukraine aid? Did you see how a majority of the GOP voted AGAINST it? Utter insanity! Do we want more of this ? More extreme right stooges everywhere?

Of course not.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017

And in the other thread, some kept saying I was wrong for believing this will impact Biden's numbers. This definitely will impact his voting numbers in November. Will it prevent him from being President? I doubt it exclusively will, but it will really hurt the vote from the 30 and under crowd. It doesn't matter that the outcome won't happen for a year or two, as people will remain pissed over this.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

And yet none of these are considered a problem for Biden's campaign team, who said they will continue to use it.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
Replace "Chinese government" with "American government" and "Uyghur Muslims" with "Palestinians" and this sentence would still be correct.

Also, I do not trust any, especially Google and Facebook, social media platforms and if you believe that the US government is any hair better than the Chinese, then you should get your head out of your ass.

(I don't have a TikTok account nor use the app by the way)

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
But...but...but...

That's EXACTLY why it should worry you!!! China would boost that evil moron who tries to steal trans kids from their parents and outlaws abortion! This is not outlandish! Putin did it! The play is to boost the extreme right and increase divisiveness and polarization to fuck up the country internally and paralyze it with division. Poison all rational discourse.

Did you see how many months Johnson delayed the Ukraine aid? Did you see how a majority of the GOP voted AGAINST it? Utter insanity! Do we want more of this ? More extreme right stooges everywhere?

Of course not.

X is already pushing LibsofTikTok and my garbage government. Why would that make me afraid of China when American companies are the ones actively doing it right now? There's no hypothetical. It's literally happening. China doesn't have to push anything when Elon is doing it himself.

I did see it. You mean the GOP who are far more active and pushed by the algorithm on the American platform called X?

X is far more of a threat to folks' immediate lives. And further than that, my state government is far more of a threat than the Chinese government.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
I feel like some of these points are very debatable.
All but a couple are.
And like, the US government and the companies that pay it want to be in control of our narratives to a far greater degree than TikTok currently is. Simple as. To boot, it's not immediately harmful for China to know I'm pro-Palestine but it's rapidly becoming dangerous for the US government to know so.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Duh.

The bill is an outright ban. Do they think we're stupid? Yes.

Also, I like TikTok. It's my favorite social media. But I'm an internet OG. Platforms come and go. It is what it is.

I honestly think those vested in TikTok should diversify honestly. Life moves on. It's sucks.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Id say that's too optimistic, If the owners of Tik Tok were smart they'd just pull the plug on US access days before the election and just blame it on Biden.

I doubt the masses know about the complexities of shutting down US access to Tik Tok
I don't think that is smart considering how much of their business is in the US. Ads will almost definitely happen though.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
And in the other thread, some kept saying I was wrong for believing this will impact Biden's numbers. This definitely will impact his voting numbers in November. Will it prevent him from being President? I doubt it exclusively will, but it will really hurt the vote from the 30 and under crowd. It doesn't matter that the outcome won't happen for a year or two, as people will remain pissed over this.

The way I see it, Biden needs every vote he can get. Trump got over 74 million votes last election. I'm not a doomer in any sense, but I just legitimately don't see this ending well for Biden at all, whether it's in litigation hell or not by November. I think him signing a bill that could lead to the platform being banned is enough to piss people off.

I would absolutely love being wrong though (and hope I am)

Foot

Mar 10, 2019

Terrible post.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Then it's a good thing China banned them.
Yeah and hey maybe America should ban them too instead of just TikTok! But Biden is still going to promote his campaign there and all other social media so lol

I don't think that is smart considering how much of their business is in the US. Ads will almost definitely happen though.
This very thread is about how little ByteDance makes off of TikTok in the US, unless you mean the company's other business in the US?

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Replace "Chinese government" with "American government" and "Uyghur Muslims" with "Palestinians" and this sentence would still be correct.

Also, I do not trust any, especially Google and Facebook, social media platforms and if you believe that the US government is any hair better than the Chinese, then you should get your head out of your ass.

US government is better than the Chinese. Anyone who doesn't believe that has serious problems.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017

But the other bad platforms aren't banned! /s

One less vector is good and hopefully they all get regulated /smashed along the way. Would prefer none (which is ironic as I post on a message board) but will take what I can get

And I can't believe it has to be said, but yes, even being able to post such a thing as US Government Bad is an indicator that our government is better than theirs. Come on y'all, that's outrageous. I would not want you to go there and try a mirroring act.

Vena

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Normal people do not pay attention to this stuff. If nothing happens, they will not care. It's understood that voters have goldfish memories and unless something impacts them directly, they don't really care.

People are upset after the fact in stuff, not before because most people just don't have the bandwidth to care about this stuff. You're looking at it from an extremely online and plugged in perspective, not your average person. You also cannot really foment long running anger if nothing happens.

The discussion about the tiktok ban as was first passed earlier lasted about a week before everyone forgot about it and discussion moved on because nothing happened.

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
X is already pushing LibsofTikTok and my garbage government. Why would that make me afraid of China when American companies are the ones actively doing it right now? There's no hypothetical. It's literally happening. China doesn't have to push anything when Elon is doing it himself.

I did see it. You mean the GOP who are far more active and pushed by the algorithm on the American platform called X?

X is far more of a threat to folks' immediate lives. And further than that, my state government is far more of a threat than the Chinese government.

I have to admit I can't take the "Evil countries puppeteer their platforms inn the shadows to create divide by propping up the right wing and we cannot allow that to happen because we thrive on Rational Discourse" seriously when Elon Musk was just a few days ago calling for the impeachment of a Brazilian Supreme Court judge, questioning the appointment of another and actively organizing every step of the way with Bolsonaro's aides.

US government is better than the Chinese. Anyone who doesn't believe that has serious problems.

Both are genocidal overgrown tumors on which the current balance of power hinges and it's impossible to argue one is better than the other.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
a lot of 'but what about america tho' going on in here and im not really sure why

Because I think we should protect everyone's data and worry about immediate dangers to the population rather than worrying about China.

A ban of a single platform is short sighted and doesn't solve the real problems.

I have to admit I can't take the "Evil countries puppeteer their platforms inn the shadows to create divide by propping up the right wing and we cannot allow that to happen because we thrive on Rational Discourse" seriously when Elon Musk was just a few days ago calling for the impeachment of a Brazilian Supreme Court judge, questioning the appointment of another and actively organizing every step of the way with Bolsonaro's aides.

Exactly. Elon is already meddling in politics here and abroad but it's China that I'm supposed to be the most worried about?

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm speaking as a whole and the numbers I've seen indicate quite a large revenue stream in the US.
Oh, I agree on that. It is definitely a lot of money.

But the other bad platforms aren't banned! /s

One less vector is good and hopefully they all get regulated /smashed along the way. Would prefer none (which is ironic as I post on a message board) but will take what I can get
But we know they won't. They haven't yet despite the massive damage they've done and will continue to do. Russia uses these sites and we haven't seen nearly the same level of care by our government.

And yeah it's because Russia doesn't have direct fingers in these apps, but that doesn't make them any less affected by them. They buy our data from these apps or just pull it from all of the major data leaks, then use it to spread misinformation and propaganda. All these apps got were slaps on the hand over the years. Menial fines they would make back in a day.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
What's funny is that the US doesn't even have an internet privacy law in place. Some states due, but that's not enough.

So instead of crafting one, to safeguard the data of all Americans(LOL) from Meta, Google, etc, they ban TikTok.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Going to be hilariously awkward and hypocritical if Biden's campaign is gonna promote on TikTok still if he hasn't already.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America

Please don't resort to whataboutism. It's not a defense as you well know.

if you believe that the US government is any hair better than the Chinese

I guess it depends how much you value individual freedom, free press and democracy. If you value them highly, then the USA is better at providing that.

then you should get your head out of your ass.

Where does all this confidence come from? Have you lived for a long time in both countries and thought up a detailed analysis of their pros and cons?

I will admit I've only been to China once, and I quite enjoyed it. The friendliest, smartest, funniest and coolest people you can imagine. The most awe-inspiring culture and history on the planet. Ridiculously varied and amazing food. Great tech. The list goes on.

With that said, I did not enjoy the PRC's censorship and the "Great" firewall and I instantly needed to use a VPN to digitally breathe again.

It was not an issue as a tourist, but I am opinionated and demanding and I would not want to live in a dictatorship. I've already lived most of my life in one, and I like freedom of speech. It's fucking nice. Look how opinionated I am about USA politics. It's nuts 😆.

Immigrants who come from dictatorships (and people who still live in them) know what I'm talking about.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
The main reasons this is happening is
- Their competitors have struggled to compete, so lobbied the government to ban the competition instead.
- Yellow peril-esque rhetoric about China's influence over it being a massive threat despite the social media apps that have proven track records on being a danger all being US owned/run.

If they actually cared about the things the claim to care about they'd have passed legislation that strengthened data protection practices. They could have even done this in a way that effectively banned Tiktok anyway while also restricting their competitors. But they didn't do that because that's not what this is about.

Jan 20, 2022

US-based social medias being just as bad as Chinese-based social medias isn't really an argument against banning Chinese social medias. If anything, we should continue the witch-hunt and go after Facebook/Instagram next

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What's funny is that the US doesn't even have an internet privacy law in place. Some states due, but that's not enough.

So instead of crafting one, to safeguard the data of all American (LOL), they ban TikTok.
Exactly! If they were really concerned with our data and it getting into the hands of foreign adversaries, this would be the clear solution.

Going to be hilariously awkward and hypocritical if Biden's campaign is gonna promote on TikTok still if he hasn't already.
He is!

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Welp. Just ad everyone expected. Might as well enjoy it while the case goes through the court system

So instead of crafting one, to safeguard the data of all Americans(LOL) from Meta, Google, etc, they ban TikTok.
American social media lobbyists: lol

Status
Not open for further replies.