patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-best-places-to-work-in-the-uk-games-industry

The winners of the second Gamesindustry.biz Best Places To Work Awards (UK) have been revealed.

The Best Places To Work in the UK video games industry are:

Creative Assembly, Criterion, Double Eleven, Frontier, Ghost Games UK, Hutch Games, Lockwood Publishing, Lucid Games, Mojiworks, NaturalMotion, Playground Games, PlayStation London Studio, Rocksteady, Sega Hardlight, Space Ape Games, Studio Gobo, Unity, Ustwo and Wish Studios.

All of these companies scored over the threshold required to win one of our coveted Best Places badges.

At the event, Gamesindustry.biz also revealed the winners of our special categories. The winners were:

The Corporate Social Responsibility Award - in partnership with GamesAid (For companies that support charities and the wider games business)

Winner: Jagex

The Health and Wellbeing Award (For companies who support their staff's physical and mental welfare)

Winner: Rocksteady

The Diversity Award (For companies that encourage a diverse workforce in games)

Winner: Mojiworks

The Best Small Company (The highest scoring company under 50 employees)

Winner: Ustwo games

The Best Mid-Sized Company (The highest scoring company under 175 employees)

Winner: Criterion

The Best Large Company (The highest scoring company over 175 employees)

Winner: Creative Assembly

The UK's Best Boss

Winner: Veronique Lallier, Hi-Rez Studios

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I didn't know creative assembly were so big.

Pity none of those many employees are making an Alien Isolation sequel.

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
Are Lockwood the PS3 Home guys who run Avakin for phones and tablets now? Good to see that they're apparently a good employer. I still miss Home but Avakin is a decent attempt at a spiritual successor.

Hiraeth

Mar 16, 2018
London, UK
Know a few people who went on to work at Creative Assembly after university, heard it was pretty good there. Know a couple others who went to Rockstar North but never heard anything about that place, but it does have a reputation for being tough.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
I... I had no idea Rocksteady was a UK studio. I can't beleive I didn't know that. I guess I just always assumed that since they were affiliated with WB they were stateside. This actually makes what they were able to accomplish with the setting for the Arkham games that much more impressive.

I am surprised to see some of the UK studios that are known to not engage in crunch aren't represented in the list. I wonder what excluded some of the ones that are absent.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Companies sign up to be be part of this. It doesn't assess every studio, just the ones who apply to be considered.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
From what I understand from friends who have worked for Rockstar they are a terrible place to work for. I thought this was common knowledge? They are atrocious with crunch. My friend was working 12+ hour days a lot.

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting stuff. Media Molecule seems like a notable omission. Not only do they have a no crunch ethos but they also opened a second studio to allow for some employees a closer office and thus a shorter distance into work.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
When it comes to studios that are missing, this thing is presumably self-selecting as it says less than 75 companies took part. You'd think most big companies would sign up but, working in an indie studio of around twenty people I certainly wasn't asked. It was also sponsored by Playground Games which seems... at the very least a conflict of interest though I've never heard anything to suggest that Playground isn't a great place to work.

Oct 27, 2017
When it comes to studios that are missing, this thing is presumably self-selecting as it says less than 75 companies took part. You'd think most big companies would sign up but, working in an indie studio of around twenty people I certainly wasn't asked. It was also sponsored by Playground Games which seems... at the very least a conflict of interest though I've never heard anything to suggest that Playground isn't a great place to work.

Wow, really?! MS working overtime to generate goodwill for its new developer. At least they didn't win in any individual categories.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018

Sony London studios won an award lol
Also:
The Best Places To Work Awards are judged by a dual survey system, including a company questionnaire (worth 25% of the final score) and an employee survey (worth 75% of the final score). The threshold for winners varies depending on company size, but broadly businesses needed to score over 85% to receive a badge. Almost 75 UK companies took part in this year's awards.