• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Warhawk at 54 right above Helldivers 1 warms my heart. I am positive that a Warhawk 2 made by a good team with the same passion as Arrowhead would do great numbers! Obviously with day 1 release on PC as well.

I don't even want to look out for Starhawk...

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda shocking how badly Kill Strain bombed, Sony really just shat that one out. I think more people heard about its servers shutting down than heard about it launching

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It would be a good idea to update the title or OP and explicitly say that this is just digital because a lot of folks are misunderstanding.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
the revenue for some of the smaller games is shockingly low. Barely scratching $1M is rough for the production values of some of these higher end indie-style releases.

Kinda puts into perspective why Sony moved away from backing those sorts of games.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Days Gone made more money than Uncharted 4 but nah, let's not greenlight a sequel. Idiots!
Again, just digital. Uncharted 4 was at 18.6m console copies sold at the start of 2022 (so 15.5m+ physical copies unaccounted for in these numbers), while Days Gone was at 7.3m (4.5m+ physical - still very successful; the reason a sequel isn't happening is because Bend wanted to do a new IP instead).
Tokyo Jungle in top 90 in both revenue and download? :O
Digital only release outside of Japan explains it.

Last edited:

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So from the 2022 sales leak, TLOU2 had a digital % of 41. Assuming this is real and if the % stayed the same for the next year and a half, it would put it around 15.6m sold as of June 2023. If we do the same calculation for both skus of Ghost of Tsushima, it would be around 11.1m. Though we also have to consider them coming out at the peak of covid times so it's possible the digital % decreased since then and they've possibly sold more
That's an amazing number for both games. For Ghost of Tsushima as a new IP and for The Last of Us 2 as one of the most divisive games of these years with worst leaks of all time.
Also TLoU2's number is even higher now because of PS5 version. And soon we'll have PC version too.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
This data puts to bed the notion that people aren't interested in emulated classics, Crash Bandicoot sitting with over 8 million in revenue.

Even the recent PS4/PS5 releases sitting at reasonably healthy numbers considering they are both on subscription and free to past purchases.

The list seems short though, only 500 titles across all platforms since the PS3 era have made sales on PSN?

Edit- ah, only Sony games.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Driveclub in the top 40, not bad. Also DC is a game from 2014, digital downloads was not as popular then.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Gotta' say, it's disappointing that Soul Sacrifice never got a sequel. Possibly the most profitable major Vita release considering they got Delta out of it as well.

Kinda shocking how badly Kill Strain bombed, Sony really just shat that one out. I think more people heard about its servers shutting down than heard about it launching
Is there only the one listing for Kill Strain at the bottom? That one is missing data for sure given how it lists zero downloads for two regions. Still completely terrible performance but yeah.

Last edited:

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
Screenshot of the Excel sheet
43RSfVJ.png

Removed weekly revenue and weekly download charts and sorted by total revenue.

1-33
5O7Jw50.png
*16 Weekly revenue & total download as per the first image.

JhOnNY_HD

Dec 13, 2020
Warhawk at 54 right above Helldivers 1 warms my heart. I am positive that a Warhawk 2 made by a good team with the same passion as Arrowhead would do great numbers! Obviously with day 1 release on PC as well.

I don't even want to look out for Starhawk...

Yeah Good times with warhawk. A battlefield first party option but they F.. with starhawk.

Killzone 2 Warhawk and M.A.G. very fresh multi alternative beside the cod formula.

Data shows pretty clear the small games or experiments are a waste of money for playstation.

Forget the puppeeter times or even a new portable console

carl_sandland

May 31, 2019
someone remind me again what "Days gone" had to sell to get a sequel? wow.
really nice to see Nioh and Nioh2 doing so well.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
for those interested in the total numbers, updated to March 2023, here they are:
www.installbaseforum.com

Sales numbers for every PS4 and PS5 era PlayStation first party games have been leaked

transcription by @Welfare All games that appear in this OP Platform Title [PS4] Bloodborne [PC] Days Gone [PS4] Days Gone [PS4] Death Stranding [PS5] Death Stranding Director's Cut [PS5] Demon's Souls [PS4] Detroit: Become Human [PS4] DRIVECLUB [PS4] Ghost of Tsushima...

there was a thread on resetera too, but the image is broken

if a game cost $200m to make and we use that tlou2 revenue at $243m so sony only profit like 40m after some year? thats a thin profit margin
as you can see, Spiderman net sales are above $800m

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Does this excel list contains Steam data?

Days Gone had 2 years of sales on Steam before summer 2023 data cutoff.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Damn, PS making digital bank.

Some of these games I wouldn't have guessed did so good digitally.
Commercial flops aren't much for PS in the digital era.

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ape Escape 1 is embarrassingly low at #343. Shameful performance by the PS userbase.

You couldn't buy it as a "classic" on the US PSN store during the PS3/Vita/PS4 eras, it was only made available recently and I assume most people who played it did so via PSNow.

In addition to On the Loose 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ara63

Nov 21, 2023
I think this shows what a huge gap there is between Spider-Man, God of War, Last of Us and maybe Horizon and Tsushima, and every other Sony IP. No wonder they'd focus more on their top blockbuster IPs if that's how well they perform.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
This paints such a grim picture of the PS3 era. Terrible figures for so many games, even those that were digital only.

The Crash Bandicoot PS1 classic outsold nearly every PS3, PSP and Vita game.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
Considering those digital numbers for Everybody's Golf PS4, I wouldn't surprised if it sold over a million. Sucks that they stopped working with Clap Hanz on this series

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think this shows what a huge gap there is between Spider-Man, God of War, Last of Us and maybe Horizon and Tsushima, and every other Sony IP. No wonder they'd focus more on their top blockbuster IPs if that's how well they perform.
They're more games than ever yet humans seem to be gravitating towards fewer games if the US NPDs of last year is any indication.

Holy shit, I'm one of the 235 people who bought Echoshift.

Sir Lucan

Dec 19, 2023
I'll never understand why they abandoned Days Gone the way they did. Brought them a lot of revenue and sales, despite pretty much abandoning the game in terms of marketing after it came out because it didn't become a critic's darling.

For a studio that was making handheld games before, it was a very good first effort. A sequel would have done very well.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Yet even then, that's still much better than I would've expected to be the case given Sony's disregard for the franchise and the negativity surrounding discussions of its commercial appeal around here (I went in at maximum pessimism and started from the bottom of the chart when looking for Gravity Rush).

OP
OP
Red Kong XIX

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
This paints such a grim picture of the PS3 era. Terrible figures for so many games, even those that were digital only.
Not really. PS3 was still a very physical dominated era. I personally still bought everything on disk, while today I'm all digital. The only digital games I bought back then were the games that were only available on PSN, like PAIN (#85).

MrTomato

Jan 20, 2022
I'll never understand why they abandoned Days Gone the way they did. Brought them a lot of revenue and sales, despite pretty much abandoning the game in terms of marketing after it came out because it didn't become a critic's darling.

For a studio that was making handheld games before, it was a very good first effort. A sequel would have done very well.
It's pretty simple.
Critical reception was middling at best and if you look at the other list of the Insomniac breach, the average price at which DG sold was pretty low.
And that's not surprising, as I remember the game already being sold in the store for 30 bucks after 2 months. And that never happens this quickly with most 1st party games.
And the game took 7+ years of development and also had problematic studio leadership.

Bloodborne had a similar issue (minus the critical reception and dev time, which were great). Souls games were not nearly as popular when that game came out. It sold most of its copies at 20-30 bucks (probably the GOTY edition).
So while revenue might look fine for both games, profit margins were probably very low.

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

It even ends on a wild cliffhanger

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Digital only, but PSVR2 comes bundled with it for the most part and these sales aren't counting those vouchers (iirc PSVR2 sold over 600k units so it couldn't possibly be counting the vouchers).
I think so, but the hardware bundle that included the game was a digital code which presumably isn't included in these figures.

Thanks. That's always the issue on seeing numbers without context, can't know if something like downloads LTD number include bundles, or just separate purchases.