JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Our Brita pitcher bit the dust last month and we've unfortunately been using bottled water for our needs. I've been looking at RO, but a little concerned on the waste. Anyone with experience on this filtration or have any recommendations?

Sep 20, 2020
I don't have one but have/am in the middle of researching it for our home. If you have hard water, you'll need a water softener system to get the most out of RO water.

As random as this is, go to homebrewtalk.com and talk to buckeye_hydro over there (www.buckeyehydro.com). He comes highly recommended as an RO water resource.

My two cents and probably way more than you're looking for lol.

Method

Oct 25, 2017
We've had a reverse osmosis system for 5 years now. Love it. Water tastes really fresh and we use ours daily. Save a lot vs. Brita filters and way less work (to fill and hand pour the brita water). You do need to replace filters every year or so depending on which one you get.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've used it. One quick note is that it will remove fluoride from the water (regular carbon filters like Brita won't), so this is something you might want to keep in mind if you have young kids, as that could affect the amount of systemic fluoride they get for teeth development.

Another drawback is that, if you connect it to your fridge's water line, it will reduce your dispenser's pour rate and your ice maker's fill rate.

Otherwise, it's pretty nice. It removes pretty much everything.

Oct 27, 2017
What water system are you in? Almost every metro in the US has water that is safe to drink.

If you have hard water or if it's cloudy, it's perfectly safe but people may not like the taste/color/aesthetics of it. For that, the best thing to do is probably a water softener. RO systems are extremely wasteful and high energy so if you're not using it to get rid of any contaminants that actually affect your health, then I would recommend not getting one.

OP
OP

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What water system are you in? Almost every metro in the US has water that is safe to drink.

If you have hard water or if it's cloudy, it's perfectly safe but people may not like the taste/color/aesthetics of it. For that, the best thing to do is probably a water softener. RO systems are extremely wasteful and high energy if you're not using it to get rid of any contaminants that actually affect your health, then I would recommend not getting one.
US. Chicago area. The upgrade is more for taste concern than health. We can certainly look into a water softener.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only if you are on well water or something

I have one (under sink, not whole home) and it works well enough but I'm not sure it's worth it. RO actually kind of ruins the taste of water so then you need an additional stage to add minerals back in, so the whole thing is kind of silly if you have decent water to begin with

Banini

Nov 1, 2017
I've been looking for a water filtering system too... there's so much choices out there that I get overwhelmed. What do you think about the brand hydroviv? Do you think it's a gimmick?