Oct 25, 2017
Metacritic scores:
For All Mankind - 72
Dickinson - 66
See - 47

The Morning Show - 60

--------------------------------------
AVClub gave "See" starring Momoa a C- - https://tv.avclub.com/jason-momoa-and-some-gorgeous-scenery-cant-elevate-see-1839335555

THR on "The Morning Show"
After a brutally dull pilot and a meandering second episode, there are distinct hints in the third hour of a more satisfying and confident The Morning Show, one that actually gets value out of leading ladies Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon. But did the behemoths at Apple really get into the crowded original TV marketplace to become the latest perpetrator of "It eventually gets better!" patience-testing?

IndieWire gave "The Morning Show" a C-:
Apple's first drama — from an amalgamation of writers and producers including creator Jay Carson, showrunner Kerry Ehrin, and writer/executive producer Michael Ellenberg — has the opposite problem: It trusts its story without knowing what it's trying to say. All the pretty people in the world can't keep you hooked when the purpose is this muddled, and hoo boy, is it hard to figure out what "The Morning Show" wants to accomplish, or even who we're meant to care about.

Sepinwall gives The Morning Show 2.5/5 stars.

Last edited:

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
I mean...not surprising?
It literally took both Amazon and Netflix years to get a critically acclaimed bonafide hit.

Apple has too much money....it's only a matter of time.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I love the idea of Apple paying huge sums of money for inferior products. Finally getting a taste of their own medicine.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably check some of the stuff out, because, in theory, I supposedly got a free year of the service when I bought my phone (still have no idea how I get it though!), but yikes at the reviews.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
That's rough to hear. I was looking forward to Morning Show -- could've been an interesting take on a crazy industry (like Succession).

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Im still pretty interested in seeing for all mankind tho but the rest didnt particularly interest me

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
And done. Meanwhile. AT&T stock are at a 2 year year high based on expectations that HBO Max will have 50 million subs by 2025.

Warner Media Day is tomorrow.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone remotely connected to anything in town has heard about how shit these all are for at least a year. I'm really surprised Apple didn't try to fix this somehow/is actually launching with this crop of shows and expecting people to sub.

It's like DOA. But Apple has a massive reserve of money, so I'm sure they'll keep throwing it at this endeavor for at least a little while.

Spoilers: the rest of their shows coming down the line are no better..

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I am not surprised they're not great to be honest, but I was hoping See would be pretty good. Commercials galore for it recently when I'm watching sports. I had no hopes for this service when the article came out last year about the censorship/editing that was going to happen.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
The massive posters for Dickinson in Times Square do not make it look like a comedy.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean...not surprising?
It literally took both Amazon and Netflix years to get a critically acclaimed bonafide hit.

That's not true at all. On Netflix, House of Cards was well received from the start. Bloodline was also well received in its first season and was an early show.

For Amazon, Bosch and Mozart in the Jungle were also both well received in the early days.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Jason Momoa was here in the UK last week promoting See and two of the interviews I saw were about how much money they had spent on it. That seemed like a good barometer of the shows narrative quality...

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
None of them looked very good in trailers / previews. I get it for free so I'll watch some of the mediocreness but I'd have been surprised if they hit it out of the park early even with money and big names.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I mean...not surprising?

Transparent was released in 2014 and started winning awards left and right. Netflix really hit it out of the park very early as well. It's true though that this doesn't necessarily reflect much beyond some growing pains, but I don't think your characterization is especially accurate.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I love how the biggest show they are promoting is so far the biggest negatively reviewed one.
fVRRdub.gif

This shit won't last 5 years.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Apple should have just bought Netflix.
But if anything, Apple have got the money to keep throwing at this until they get shows that are critically acclaimed. It's just a matter of time.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone remotely connected to anything in town has heard about how shit these all are for at least a year. I'm really surprised Apple didn't try to fix this somehow/is actually launching with this crop of shows and expecting people to sub.

It's like DOA. But Apple has a massive reserve of money, so I'm sure they'll keep throwing it at this endeavor for at least a little while.

Why are they so bad? Not paying up for adequate creative talent behind the scenes?

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017

I would assume the quality of their shows and reception is part of the reason it's free for the first year if you but an apple product. Problemis after a year they need a reason to keep people when HBO max, Disney+ and Netflix

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I mean...not surprising?

That's not true. Netflix Originals started with House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, and Amazon Prime Originals had Bosch, The Man in the High Castle, , Mozart in the Jungle and Transparent within a year of launch.