Oct 25, 2017
MC - 83

Collider - 100
Its greatest rewards are the strength of its perspective, the depth of its humanity, and the risky creative swings it takes to create an entirely new story that also feels right at home in the world of Watchmen."

IndieWire - 100
"The series' scope is astonishing given its subject matter, and even more so given its relentless entertainment value. Through six episodes, "Watchmen" has already provided a bounty of intelligent theories to study and debate, but it's designed to be one helluva good time, as well."

TV Guide - 90
"The book gives anyone attempting to follow it up a richly realized world on which to build, but it's the ways in which this new series diverges from the source material that makes it so compelling."

THR - 90
"Relentlessly entertaining, odd and creative... Watchmen is a tour-de-force, no doubt, but there's a landing that definitely needs to be stuck."

Variety - 50
"To tackle the meanness and violence of history in a truly serious way — with superheroes or with mere magnificently brave mortals telling the story — demands a focus "Watchmen" simply lacks, and attempts to make up for with a tone of increasing dudgeon. What "Watchmen" sets out to do, taking the opportunity of an artwork perceived as unadaptable and writing a whole new story, is admirable. But both that original artwork and, more crucially, this story deserve better."

Last edited:

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
thank god this is good, the trailers have been terrible and some of the plot details were very....out there.

but I've mostly been giving Lindelof the benefit of the doubt on this one because of how good the leftovers is

bic

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, Damon Lindelof is involved with this? Isn't his track record pretty mixed, at best?

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
i'm glad Lindelof is developing a new story around the world as opposed to a straight adaptation. makes me more excited to see this since we already have the Snyder movie which is almost entirely 1:1 (regardless on one's opinion about its performances or direction etc.)

normally lindelof gives me pause but I fucking loved Leftovers for the most part

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was skeptical, especially since season one of The Boys did the Watchmen thing so well, but I'll definitely check it out.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
oh fuck didn't know Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross were scoring this, all their film work lately has been pretty similar but I still love the atmosphere it builds

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm cautiously optimistic. I know everyone raves about The Leftovers but I couldn't get past the first season.

As someone who is very familiar with Watchmen-I wonder how "Viewer friendly" this will be with new audiences. My wife has never read Watchmen and she saw the movie once over 10 years ago and remembers nothing about it.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
I'm into adaptions that take themes and concepts from the source then mix them all up into something completely different.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
But I thought he went to another galaxy or something?

At the end of Watchmen Doctor Manhattan states he's leaving to go somewhere else and that's how it ends.

Canonically, he travels to the DC Universe, but that's only a recent development. The original max-series by Alan Moore was intended to be a closed end story.

Oct 25, 2017
I love alt-history world-building in TV shows, but it is far rarer than it should be. This show takes place in a world where reparations were paid, Superman exists but lives on Mars and keeps to himself these days, and the world unified in terror after a failed alient attack 30 years earlier. And Robert Redford has been president for 20 years. How can I not be in?

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
Damon Lindelof experienced a mega transformation for season 2 of the leftovers, out of nowhere he became a mediocre/pretty good showrunner to an all time great showrunner