• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQfHhR0WO4s

Just announced via the Hostess competition stream (KSON won, if your interested). Gaiden news incoming for sure, maybe RGG8 as well. As always, have low expectations, dont "Sony Showcase" it, but hopefully this is the beginning of proper Gaiden news, leading to gameplay, release date, mini game inclusions etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweet. Hopefully we finally get Gaiden news.
And major congrats to Kson. A literal dream come true for her.

I legit have no idea who KSON is, but this seems to be a big deal seeing as I could find plenty of KSON news and no one excited about the Summer stream lol.
Popular content creator and streamer. VTuber. Proud RGG fangirl.
She was born in America and bilingual. Giving her immense reach.

OP
OP
shadowman16

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Sweet. Hopefully we finally get Gaiden news.
And major congrats to Kson. A literal dream come true for her.

Popular content creator and streamer. VTuber. Proud RGG fangirl.
She was born in America and bilingual. Giving her immense reach.
Ah ok. Well that's really awesome, very happy for her. And yeah we are 100% seeing Gaiden next month. I imagine it'll be the focus.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Explains why there wasn't any Gaiden news at the PS Showcase. Excited to see more. There's stuff about Yakuza 8 I'd love confirmed so hopefully there'll be a tease of that game as well.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Hyped, I want to see more of Gaiden please.

Also, seems like it really meant a lot for the winner from what I'm reading. Congrats to them!

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Expecting September/October for Gaiden, but wonder if we'll get a date for 8 as well.

Oct 25, 2017
We miiiiight also get something at Summer Games Fest as Sega's gonna be there, it's only 8 days before the summit and Ishin was revealed at a State of Play last year just before the previous summit.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Hell yeah, I just started Kiwami the other day so I got time before I can play it. I also kinda expected Kson to win, she's super passionate about the games.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
AHHH congrats to Kson, wonder if she'll do the dub too, seems like a no-brainer.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they will have any new game announcement or just focus on already announced 7 Gaiden and 8.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
If you're thinking of Judgment 3, I doubt that will be anytime soon and they will want to promote Gaiden and 8 before that gets announced. Probably a long way off anyway.
yeah I wasn't really expecting judgment anytime soon. More of wondering any more possible remasters/remakes, or other brand collaboration like they did with Hokuto or something.

TriGen

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited to check it out. Would love to finally see some Gaiden, anything else will be a nice bonus.

Also, good for KSON, it's nice to see a huge fan win. I genuinely think the first Vtuber clip I ever saw was her (as Kiryu Coco) reacting to LAD as I always get recommended RGG related videos on YT but had never watched a Vtuber.

Alex de Souza

Jul 14, 2022
The best showcase is back! I can't wait to see more of Like a Dragon Gaiden, my most anticipated game of this year. Hopefully we'll also get another look at Like a Dragon 8 and more.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to KSON! She's brilliantly entertaining in both her current Vtuber account and as Coco. This must be so good for her to achieve :)

Excited to see other news on the series too, it's one of gaming's greats.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
finally we can get a date for Like A Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name and decided to get back Into the world of the Yakuza because he can never have enough and LaD8

OP
OP
shadowman16

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Im doubting we'll get much in the way of brand new reveals here. No Judgment 3, no other game... not even another remaster/remake or whatever. What Im thinking:

Gaiden gets the lion share of attention. Brand new story trailer, maybe the gameplay trailer as well - combat, city, mini games etc. as well as conformation on some of the main cast. We'll see a gameplay demo on stream with them showing the game off a bit. What'll then follow is a steady stream of news over the next few months including maybe TGS depending on the game's release date.

8 might get an updated release window (as in, which quarter of 2024 it launches) and hopefully a teaser trailer and MAYBE a confirmation of the city they are using. But Im guessing like when Ishin was released, they wont focus on 8 until Gaiden is out there. 8 may well turn up at TGS though depending on its release date.

These are purely my guesses though.

To have fun, some wild hopes/dreams (yume)
Kenzan gets a PS3 port that only increases the FPS, res, and QoL tweaks so that side stories cant be missed, premium adventure carries across everything, trophy list, and turtle feeding can be done over and over, rather than the 1 minute wait between feedings. It'll be called "Shadowman16 Edition" to highlight how this is purely for me alone ;)

1&2 HD get ports to modern hardware. Only changes made are the pre rendered cutscenes are now rendered in higher resolution.

Dead Souls gets a hilariously high budget remake. After its astounding success all other games in the series are now zombie games, causing Capcom to resurrect Dead Rising.

Akiyama finally gets his own spotlight game (sad that this feels as unlikely as the joke suggestions above ;( )

RGG Online gets a final story chapter which concludes Ichiban's story, and revels that the mysterios "X" is actually just Arakawa Masumi to no ones surprise.

All previous remasters and remakes get patches that improve performance on modern consoles, fix the weird issues with some mini games, and changes Kiwami 2's and 6's combat to that of the style switcher mod. I'll still find something to complain about.

And last but not least. Actual ports to the Switch...

Wonder if Gaiden is still going to hit this year
Like considering we are getting this event - RGGS tend to only start amping up the news on their next game when its fairly immenent to release. Another poster suggested this could potentially launch in September, Im thinking that could well happen.

But really its hard to predict. RGGS have no one specific period they use to release games, its been all over the shop over the years. Could be November for all I know! (though that feels too crowded for l'il ol' RGG)

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
wait, I didn't know about that Hostess competition lol, congratulations to KSON

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If you're thinking of Judgment 3, I doubt that will be anytime soon and they will want to promote Gaiden and 8 before that gets announced. Probably a long way off anyway.

Yeah, I would love to see Judgment 3, but considering they only JUST managed to lock down their issues with Johnny's last year, I have to imagine it's nowhere ready to show off yet. They may not even have a script finalized yet. But GOD I'm ready for more Team Yagami. Honestly I'm more interested in that than I am in Gaiden.

If Gaiden is a Lost Judgment-ized version of Kiryu in terms of brawler mechanics though, I'll be very pleased. Dragon Engine Kiryu fucking sucks to control and I NEED that level of Yagami responsiveness added into the big boy.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
No one thinking about a new IP, or Judgment 3 teaser? Maybe I'm being too greedy...

They really don't have the resources to launch another sub-franchise. Judgment 3 is definitely not ready to show considering how recently they were able to resolve their issues with Johnny's, so I don't expect a teaser of that until after one of their current projects launches.

The only "surprise" announcement I could think of would be some kind of Kiwami version of one of the currently "lost" RGG games (Kenzan or Dead Souls), and I'm not 100% certain how well Ishin Kiwami did so they may not see the value in doing another one of those remaster/remakes.

roguebubble

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 8, 2018
We miiiiight also get something at Summer Games Fest as Sega's gonna be there, it's only 8 days before the summit and Ishin was revealed at a State of Play last year just before the previous summit.
That or the Xbox showcase since Yakuza on Gamepass has been a big deal for them and would want to continue that (especially if the rumours of Persona 3 remake at the xbox show are true then it would mean sega is already there)

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
RGG have a new IP in development so maybe a tease of that if they have anything else to show.

They're really productive as a Studio, but I doubt that's out of concept phase yet and in in full production phase or it's being made with a smaller team for now, since they have 2 relatively large games out in Gaiden and 8 (unless they staffed up, I guess?)

Akiyama finally gets his own spotlight game (sad that this feels as unlikely as the joke suggestions above ;( )

I do wonder if they ever considered it at any stage and if they did, if the mechanics from Judgment were things they considered for his own spin off at any point.

Yeah, I would love to see Judgment 3, but considering they only JUST managed to lock down their issues with Johnny's last year, I have to imagine it's nowhere ready to show off yet. They may not even have a script finalized yet. But GOD I'm ready for more Team Yagami. Honestly I'm more interested in that than I am in Gaiden.

If Gaiden is a Lost Judgment-ized version of Kiryu in terms of brawler mechanics though, I'll be very pleased. Dragon Engine Kiryu fucking sucks to control and I NEED that level of Yagami responsiveness added into the big boy.

They're always tweaking and putting their QoL improvements into each iteration of games, so I'd hope so. If they can improve on some of the floatiness of the movement that I feel with their Dragon Engine games (holding stick one way, sometimes faces in contradiction to direction I pushed) then that would be great.

yeah I wasn't really expecting judgment anytime soon. More of wondering any more possible remasters/remakes, or other brand collaboration like they did with Hokuto or something.

I hope we get some ports/remasters too like for the OG first two from PS2, the PSP games and Kenzan remake but those are unlikely sadly, as for reasons we've heard before, OG 1 & 2 since they "Kiwami'd" them, Kenzan due to problematic elements of the storyline, sales figures not being good enough for them to justify them etc. I'd take any licensed games from them again on the new Engine with all the gameplay improvements they've not gotten under their belts. There's many anime/manga series they could do justice.