Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The TLJ fans here had, despite railing against anyone else doing it for years, created this headcanon where a Rian Johnson-directed Episode IX wouldn't have had Rey and Ben fall in love because he's a better director than that, among other things.

This comment from the man himself confirms that actually, no, they were wrong and their deity Rian Johnson probably would've made a movie equally as bad as Abrams did because the trilogy was doomed from the start.

Ben always being on the path to redemption, Rey always inevitably falling in love with him... Ben was never going to be the Big Bad of the trilogy, despite the fact TLJ fans insisted for years that's what the movie was setting up and Abrams "ruined".

Which also means the extremely toxic, degrading and repulsive pairing of Rey and Ben was always going to be a thing. That's what happens when you let men write a trilogy with a lead character that's a woman, after all - it stops being about what she should want and becomes about fulfilling the male fantasy.

Personally I don't think Rey needed to get with anyone but, if she did, I'd have had her fall in love with Finn. Y'know, the guy that never gave up on her and wasn't a homicidal maniac that tortured, abused and manipulated her.
Shoulda been Finn

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Because you acknowledge it was obvious but are only mad now that he confirmed the obvious
I'm not mad because it was confirmed, I always disliked that aspect of TLJ in regards to this. In fact I'm pretty sure I've had a discussion with you in regards to my dislike of those aspects. All this has done has removed any shadow of doubt.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
What an odd statement. This is entire thread is based on hypotheticals.
That's not an odd statement.

It's completely pointless to say "yeh, but what if?" to make what we actually have seem worse than it is.

What we literally see in TLJ is a complex relationship, with an extremely intimate exchange, and Rey realizing Kylo is too far gone sand turning her back on him

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I admire what Rian was trying to do with Kylo and Rey's relationship, but the kiss in TRoS did not feel earned. It would have if the first and third movies had built on the relationship arc consistently. Sadly, the trilogy is all over the place in many areas, but particularly so when it comes to character relationships.

Any sequel SW thread on ERA is guaranteed to get hundreds of posts. Hell there have been such threads where the OP was literally a single sentence and it still got to 10 or more pages. People really want to care about these characters and they deserve to be written better.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
What an odd statement. This is entire thread is based on hypotheticals.

This whole thread is based on people all but declaring that Rian would have put those two together as an actual couple if he had wrote IX

When it's just him seemingly saying the obvious, in TLJ there was a romantic element in the mind connection where both were trying turn the other.

That romantic element is outright rejected by the end. So this thread is based of rien... rien Johnson

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
You don't need to be someone special to be a Jedi...but you do need Force powers to date each other.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
That's not an odd statement.

It's completely pointless to say "yeh, but what if?" to make what we actually have seem worse than it is.
We're talking about how a previous directors interpretation of character differs or is consistent to the final film of a trilogy. If what we're doing is not discussing a what if, then what exactly are we discussing here? That Reylo as is, is how both authors envisioned it? Ok then.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Really should've been, yeah. A nobody that carved out her own future and a Stormtrooper that rejected the future decided for him, joining together to explore the Force in their own way and establish a new Jedi Order that doesn't have a Grandmaster that chooses a path for people to follow but encourages them to find their own...

Now that would've been the beginning of something special.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This whole thread is based on people all but declaring that Rian would have put those two together as an actual couple if he had wrote IX

When it's just him seemingly saying the obvious, in TLJ there was a romantic element in the mind connection where both were trying turn the other.

That romantic element is outright rejected by the end. So this thread is based of rien... rien Johnson
Death of the author and all that, Daisy herself stated she didn't think there was any romance between them, in TLJ. Obviously it could be interpreted that there was something there, but just as much the other way too. Then TROS just does the dumbest thing imaginable

astro

Oct 25, 2017
We're talking about how a previous directors interpretation of character differs or is consistent to the final film of a trilogy. If what we're doing is not discussing a what if, then what exactly are we discussing here? That Reylo as is, is how both authors envisioned it? Ok then.
No, what you were doing with that specific comment was trying to make what we see in TLJ worse based on what might have happened if the story was different.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Really should've been, yeah. A nobody that carved out her own future and a Stormtrooper that rejected the future decided for him, joining together to explore the Force in their own way and establish a new Jedi Order that doesn't have a Grandmaster that chooses a path for people to follow but encourages them to find their own...

Now that would've been the beginning of something special.
And it actually would have made sense for their characters, imagine that

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
No, what you were doing with that specific comment was trying to make what we see in TLJ worse based on what might have happened if the story was different.
How is that different to someone thinking that a Rian directed episode 3 would have handled Reylo situation better? It's the same shit you just don't like the discussion.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Death of the author and all that, Daisy herself stated she didn't think there was any romance between them, in TLJ. Obviously it could be interpreted that there was something there, but just as much the other way too. Then TROS just does the dumbest thing imaginable

TROS is stupid

Like Rian closed the door and locked and JJ takes a riot police battering ram and throws it open for no good reason. Because JJ fucked it all up

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
How is that different to someone thinking that a Rian directed episode 3 would have handled Reylo better? It's the same shit you just like the discussion.

Because despite what the thread title says there's nothing in the tweets that even says Rian would have put them actually together in his IX

And TLJ makes it rather upfront that he didn't seem them ever being actually together

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
y'all, it's time to move on.

(also TLJ is the best of the sequels)
TLJ is also the movie that most set up Reylo. And it also made it impossible to tie together plot threads coherently in one more two hour movie. Which is one of the major problems detractors had for it. I do prefer it to TFA because TFA basically was just a retread reset button.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
How is that different to someone thinking that a Rian directed episode 3 would have handled Reylo situation better? It's the same shit you just don't like the discussion.
Because we're talking about what we see in TLJ... not TRoS... come on...

TRoS obviously takes it to a shitty place. If Rian had taken it to the same place it would be shitty too, but the point is we don't know... we only have what he gave us, which is Rey explicitly turning her back on Kylo.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
And it actually would have made sense for their characters, imagine that

Finn and Rey doesn't make any more sense than anyone

And no point is there any indication Rey feels romantic feelings for Finn, she loves him like a friend and brother but not a lover, this is true from TFA on.

Rey doesn't and never needed a boyfriend.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because despite what the thread title says there's nothing in the tweets that even says Rian would have put them actually together in his IX

And TLJ makes it rather upfront that he didn't seem them ever being actually together
A disney series is gonna have a romance at some point, it's basically a rule. And Finn got fridged hard outside of a hug. I wouldn't say the confrontation Rey and Kylo had shut the door on that, even though it should have. Kylo was basically an incel already in TFA and yet it was still thought of as a good idea to create a romantic connection between Rey and Kylo anyway.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
TLJ is also the movie that most set up Reylo. And it also made it impossible to tie together plot threads coherently in one more two hour movie. Which is one of the major problems detractors had for it. I do prefer it to TFA because TFA basically was just a retread reset button.

Set up

It rejected it.

That's literally the end of that movie, like literally a door is closed on their connection. Like not even a metaphorical door, an actual door.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
"Reeey, I need to tell you something before we die! I lo-mrmrmrghghh"
*Fin gets swallowed by the quicksand of JJ's rewrite*

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Finn and Rey doesn't make any more sense than anyone

And no point is there any indication Rey feels romantic feelings for Finn, she loves him like a friend and brother but not a lover, this is true from TFA on.

Rey doesn't and never needed a boyfriend.
No one ever "needs" a partner, but they could want one. They make a fuck ton of more sense than Reylo nonsense

Love is a natural part of life and if it's written well, go for it

Oct 30, 2017
Rian should have also added a hardcore sex scene where Kylo shows us his real lightsaber.
And then he senses the force again, he's out busting heads. Then he's back to the ship for some more full penetration. Senses the force. Back to the ship, full penetration. Force. Penetration. Force. Full penetration. Force. Penetration. And this goes on and on and back and forth for 90 or so minutes until the movie just sort of ends.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
A disney series is gonna have a romance at some point, it's basically a rule. And Finn got fridged hard outside of a hug. I wouldn't say the confrontation Rey and Kylo had shut the door on that, even though it should have.
It shouldn't be a rule that every female lead needs a romance. It being Disney isn't a good reason for that.

TRoS would have had Rey get with no one.

Finn and Rey, and Finn and Poe having positive, platonic hetro relationships instead of the standard sexualisation could have been awesome.

And Finn should have been a Jedi.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Set up

It rejected it.

That's literally the end of that movie, like literally a door is closed on their connection. Like not even a metaphorical door, an actual door.
That scene didn't go over as a permanent end to the relationship to me at the time. More of an "I'm disappointed in you".
It shouldn't be a rule that every female lead needs a romance. It being Disney isn't a good reason for thst.
I agree, but Disney makes mass marketed products with generic formulas. I'm not presenting it as a good reason, I'm presenting it as this is how Disney does.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Like there's a really weird undercurrent of this thread that is basically Rey needs a boyfriend and Finn is owed Rey as a girlfriend.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
There's no reason for her to not have a partner if it works and is written well. I'm not sure why you're so adamant about this. There's nothing wrong with being with someone.
There is something wrong with the standard of having female leads and characters needing romantic relationships, though.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Like there's a really weird undercurrent of this thread that is basically Rey needs a boyfriend and Finn is owed Rey as a girlfriend.
In my case, I just think it's inevitable that Disney will stick to a formula for marketing purposes and to get the "I want a romance to watch the movie for" market a hook.

Then I can't help you.

If you don't see a closing of the door as a closing of the door. *shrug*
Closing of a door in a soap opera formula usually just leads to increasing sexual tension till the couple gets back together. It's dumb, but Disney and stupid romance formulas go hand in hand.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, but Disney makes mass marketed products with generic formulas. I'm not presenting it as a good reason, I'm presenting it as this is how Disney does.
Disney used to do a lot of things that weren't great, they still do. They have changed for the better in some ways over time, they could still.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Closimg of a door in a soap opera formula usually just leads to increasing sexual tension till the couple gets back together. It's dumb, but Disney and stupid romance formulas go hand in hand.
Examples of a heavy handed image of a door closing like this ending up with what you claim?

The imagery was very obvious here.

I don't think anyone here is saying she needs one (I'm not, anyway). It's just as strange to say she doesn't need one.
No it's not, the entire point of saying she doesn't need one is to highlight the issue I just mentioned.