Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Didn't like TLJ (or BB's Fly, but Ozymandias was great) so I'm not sad about this. Hopefully they move on to better things.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Wait hold on is the trilogy cancelled or is he just no longer directing it?

Because those sound like different things (neither of them good).

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
TLJ really killed my interest in Star Wars, but from the opposite side. It was a genuine and skillful attempt at re imagining and updating the themes and tropes of the universe while still staying absolutely true to the spirit of the universe. Half of the internet reaction to the movie just made me realize the fandom around the movies are total trash, and that I have little interest in engaging. I will watch the movies and tv shows, but I have no real interest in maintaining discussion with most of those people.

That is fine. I think TLJ is a damn good piece of filmmaking and I don't think it deserved the reaction it received. I do not see the bad film that people say it is. There are moments in that film that ( I think) soar to really high moments.

But, opposite beliefs asides I have noticed that the fandom is pretty trash, I feel like I need to distance myself and remove it.

I appreciate you being civil about your dislike for TLJ, more should be that way.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
TLJ really killed my interest in Star Wars, but from the opposite side. It was a genuine and skillful attempt at re imagining and updating the themes and tropes of the universe while still staying absolutely true to the spirit of the universe. Half of the internet reaction to the movie just made me realize the fandom around the movies are total trash, and that I have little interest in engaging. I will watch the movies and tv shows, but I have no real interest in maintaining discussion with most of those people.

This is basically how I feel. I disliked TLJ, but it's impossible to have a discussion about it. I automatically get labelled in the group of harassers that disliked the movie. The outrage on both sides killed my interest in the franchise even more than the movie did. I don't even know if I'll see the next one this year

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whew, we almost had more than one unique Star Wars film. Bring on the Bland homogeneous Nostalgia circlejerking films!

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After the backlash for TLJ and the failure of Solo you know Disney is sweating bullets so it makes sense that Rian would get the axe.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Who knows what it was even going to be. Maybe his idea for a trilogy sucked and Kennedy passed. Who knows?

Anyway, I'm still bummed I'm not getting a Solo sequel.

Razorskin

Oct 25, 2017
original.gif

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
After the shit with James Gunn, I won't be too surprised if this news is true since it's clear Disney are very reactionary and capable of being fucking idiots. I hope it's not true, though, since Rian was taking Star Wars into really interesting places and a trilogy that he was overseeing would be great.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
These people were mad about The Force Awakens. Getting Rian out of the picture is not victory for these people. If Kelly Marie Tran had given up, that would have been a victory.
The harassment got way worse and way more common around The Last Jedi.

Getting Rian out of the picture absolutely is a victory for these people. Rian vocally defended and stuck up for the cast members getting harassed, and stuck to his guns. It is a huge victory for the people who are mad that Luke is a cuck or whatever they're going on about.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is fine. I think TLJ is a damn good piece of filmmaking and I don't think it deserved the reaction it received. I do not see the bad film that people say it is. There are moments in that film that ( I think) soar to really high moments.

But, opposite beliefs asides I have noticed that the fandom is pretty trash, I feel like I need to distance myself and remove it.

I appreciate you being civil about your dislike for TLJ, more should be that way.

Oh no, you misread me! I think its the best or second best movie in the series. TLJ and Empire are the only real great movies in Star Wars.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Eh. TLJ was the first Star Wars movie I actively disliked on first viewing. Not saying it's the worst, but I did enjoy the prequels as a teen when I first saw them and still have fond memories even though I can't really stomach them now.

TLJ just left a sour taste in my mouth.

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Title is misleading. The rumours say hes stepping away from it (quitting) which is very different than it being cancelled which suggests Disney decided they didnt want it

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
So many people here were confident that
a) The haters were only a small percentage
b) There would be no backlash

This is confirmation that the fan reception to TLJ wasn't exactly great.
"tlj haters are just russian trolls and the alt-right"
"everyone loved TLJ, look how many blu-rays its sold!"
etc.

TLJ fan headcanon was strong af.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
So many people here were confident that
a) The haters were only a small percentage
b) There would be no backlash

This is confirmation that the fan reception to TLJ wasn't exactly great.

I can also confirm there was an insane amount of gaslighing going on in those threads.

People straight up in denial that a large portion of the public did not like this movie.

The poll on this website was like 50/50 split between people who liked it and didn't.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
He was the wrong choice for TLJ, but I would have given his trilogy a shot. Not buying the news yet though

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. I'm not a TLJ fan at all, but I was looking forward to seeing what Johnson would do with his own story and characters. All the best to him.

I would have been curious to see him make his own trilogy.

I hated TLJ, but it was beautifuly shot and he did have things he wanted to say within this universe.

Yeah, this.

Status
Not open for further replies.