Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I waited a while on posting in this thread just because of holidays and stuff but I want to throw my 2 cents into the ring.

I think there's a middle ground between the "leveled up video game character" idea and retreading his story arc from ROTJ and making him a man who abandons his friends/family and leaves everyone to die. You can have a conflicted Luke who doesn't seem like such a jarring deviation from his OT self.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Worrying about rank in a dire situation like that was completely foolish and unnecessary. What the hell was "need to know" about that escape plan? It was clearly more dangerous to keep Poe in the dark than it would have been to fill him in on the plan. At the VERY least, there was zero reason not to tell Poe about the plan as he's LITERALLY leading a mutiny. His entire arc felt like it was forced into the movie to give some contrived tension to the "chase" scenes. It didn't even really feel like a natural evolution of his character from The Force Awakens. And at the end of the day, his scenes weren't... entertaining to watch. It just felt like a waste of time when he should have been paired with Finn because they had SO much chemistry in TFA. It was a disservice to both characters to seperate them like that. If Poe and Finn had been separated from the main fleet in the beginning of the movie and then they had to go on a mission to save the fleet together with Rose and a few other characters it would have resolved so many of my issues with the film.

As soon as they explain to Poe their plan, he starts a mutiny, so they were right to not tell him. Also, there were a lot of defectors that very day.

I agree though, it would have been fun to have them separated from the beggining like in ESB.

I waited a while on posting in this thread just because of holidays and stuff but I want to throw my 2 cents into the ring.

I think there's a middle ground between the "leveled up video game character" idea and retreading his story arc from ROTJ and making him a man who abandons his friends/family and leaves everyone to die. You can have a conflicted Luke who doesn't seem like such a jarring deviation from his OT self.

But Luke ignited his sword precisely because he saw what Ben would do to his loved ones. He realizes that it was his very action of impulsiveness and fear what drove to the potential destruction of what he loves, and can't forgive himself. Luke risked everything too when he rushed to face Vader and failed, but the consequences weren't as catastrophic as later

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018

Except Luke didn't abbonden them, when he left he chose self imposed exile because he was ashamed of his own actions and thought it would be best for the Jedi to end.

He thought he made the situation worse, and like he said "did you expect I'd take on the whole first order" (paraphrasing).

Cause that was the major flaw of TFA, to think that one person could take on the entire enemy.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how people constantly seem to miss this even though it couldn't be more plainly spelled out in TLJ. Also the argument that Luke should be evolved past even contemplating such a mistake is laughable. Like yes he tried to redeem his father but he's also pretty damn aware of how much harm his father did through his lifetime. It's not crazy to contemplate the simplest solution and then feel terrible about even thinking about it. He is human, not a god or a droid who can't even contemplate making a poor moral choice.

it's like nobody here has ever briefly imagined shooting out the tires of someone who cut them off on the highway.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
...and you knew that this relative would grow up to be Hitler 2.0.

I'm not really liking that arguement, since it is one that I often see use by anti-abortion people, what if the baby turn out to be a genius that cure cancer.
If the future is set as you see, then nothing you do is change, if it is not set, then you didn't see the future, since it didn't happen.
Another reason I don't like future seeing in mediea, because it is either right or wrong.

In Star wars the action that Luke took is what cause him to join the bad guy, and also blaming him for the temple being destroyed, when it was apprantly in comic side material that it was because of a weather diaster that killed everyone else.
So it seems like it was Luke own action that turned him into the villan, and building his school in a unsafe area caused the other student die.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really liking that arguement, since it is one that I often see use by anti-abortion people, what if the baby turn out to be a genius that cure cancer.
If the future is set as you see, then nothing you do is change, if it is not set, then you didn't see the future, since it didn't happen.
Another reason I don't like future seeing in mediea, because it is either right or wrong.

In Star wars the action that Luke took is what cause him to join the bad guy, and also blaming him for the temple being destroyed, when it was apprantly in comic side material that it was because of a weather diaster that killed everyone else.
So it seems like it was Luke own action that turned him into the villan, and building his school in a unsafe area caused the other student die.

This whole reasoning don't apply to a universe with prophecies and feeling what's inside one's feeling and such. Ben was already gone that night. Luke's moment of doubt was just the final trigger, but he was already pretty much gone.

Rey even say so herself: he didn't failed Kylo, Kylo failed Luke. Kylo Ren made his choices, Luke's mistake was actually to blame himself so much and forgetting Ben Solo was a human being capable of choosing for himself and he chose the dark side.

Except Luke didn't abbonden them, when he left he chose self imposed exile because he was ashamed of his own actions and thought it would be best for the Jedi to end.

He thought he made the situation worse, and like he said "did you expect I'd take on the whole first order" (paraphrasing).

Cause that was the major flaw of TFA, to think that one person could take on the entire enemy.

I mean, wasn't the fault of the movie, it was a legitimate (and interesting) character flaw of Rey and Leia. It made sense for both these characters to think that, Leia because Luke has indeed saved everyone time and again in the past and Rey because she grew up on stories of his heroics.

It's a good flaw for both these characters to have because it forces them to grow when reality doesn't match expectations.

Last edited:

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
This whole reasoning don't apply to a universe with prophecies and feeling what's inside one's feeling and such. Ben was already gone that night. Luke's moment of doubt was just the final trigger, but he was already pretty much gone.

Rey even say so herself: he didn't failed Kylo, Kylo failed Luke. Kylo Ren made his choices, Luke's mistake was actually to blame himself so much and forgetting Ben Solo was a human being capable of choosing for himself and he chose the dark side.

I mean, wasn't the fault of the movie, it was a legitimate (and interesting) character flaw of Rey and Leia. It made sense for both these characters to think that, Leia because Luke has indeed saved everyone time and again in the past and Rey because she grew up on stories of his heroics.

It's a good flaw for both these characters to have because it forces them to grow when reality doesn't match expectations.

The flaw with the "Luke wouldn't do that" is rooted in people thinking ROTJ Luke is the real Luke.

Luke puts on a bullshit fascade throughout ROTJ. Dude is a cocky, cocky asshole who gets captured by Jabba because of his arrogance. He takes on all of the worst elements of a Jedi Knight throughout the film, to the extent whereby he doesn't save Vader. Luke is seconds away from being corrupted by Palpatine, and barely pulls back. Then Sheev fucks him up, and Luke turns back into a scared little kid. It's only then that Anakin redeemed himself, somewhat.

So no shit would Luke fuck up with Kylo.

The cool, calm and collected Luke from the majority of ROTJ was a lie. The real Luke is the kid crying on the floor begging for his Dad to save him. He was taught by Obi Wan, who lied and left his best friend for dead, and Yoda, who fled to a distant planet and left the universe to rot for two decades.

If anything, Luke deserves credit for getting Kylo past his teen years.

And all of this makes Luke's last stand in TLJ even cooler. Because the dude FINALLY did something genuinely heroic and awesome that didn't involve him relying on anyone else to save the day.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've always found it weird that fans can't get their heads around characters not acting logically. That's usually what makes them seem more real.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Ableist Language and Inflammatory False Equivalence Surrounding Bigotry
When you start learning writing then one of the first things you learn is never to underestimate your readers, however, that only works when your messaging is clear and doesn't allow for 2 interpretations that are both valid and contradict each other.

That is what happened in TLJ, a lot. From Luke the magnificent symbol hero to the coward failure on the other side, Rose with the levelheaded action and positive message to the crazy in love traitor kamikaze that sabotages Finn where Holdo and Luke were allowed to succeed. Kylo the badass conflicted dude that frees himself from his master to the ranting crybaby that fails at everything etc etc etc.

There is value in not describing every detail and let the audience speculate a bit, but if the audience doesn't even agree on what was going on then that is a sign of weak messaging! That's also where the blame game comes from, suddenly we have the sjwarriors using the movie as a tool to further their libtard agenda and on the other end the incel racists that are too dumb to get the simplest of things in a movie for kids.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
If you want characters to progress then they can't be static. People are not static.

If anything SW is EXACTLY the right franchise to do something like that because there are people like you who exist and think "Well SW can't do that"

The problem is you shouldn't use the 8th movie in a 9 movie epic to do that. Could you imagine going into Indiana Jones 5 and a new main character needs help and goes to Indiana Jones but it turns out Indiana decided archeology is shit and decided to hide on a remote island to avoid people asking for his expertise.

It would be completely out of character for him and disappointing to fans of the first four movies.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is you shouldn't use the 8th movie in a 9 movie epic to do that.
says fucking who? if it's best for the story and characters you absolutely pull that trigger.

Could you imagine going into Indiana Jones 5 and a new main character needs help and goes to Indiana Jones but it turns out Indiana decided archeology is shit and decided to hide on a remote island to avoid people asking for his expertise.
First of all, the movies are called Star Wars, not Luke Skywalker.
It would be completely out of character for him and disappointing to fans of the first four movies.
and second, it would only be out of character if you pretended that literally nothing could have happened to change someone's outlook in the intervening years

having a character act differently after a time skip happens all the goddamn time in stories, especially when part of the story is finding out what happened to them to make them that way

Last edited:

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I don't like Luke I love what Rian did.

I don't like his return being hyped only to have him used like that but I love how Rian seemed to try different things with Star Wars. I'm not sure if we ever see Jedi knights have an inner conflict of faith like Luke did and Rian did his story telling with high quality.

I really hope we get more Star Wars material from him.

Last edited:

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
When you start learning writing then one of the first things you learn is never to underestimate your readers, however, that only works when your messaging is clear and doesn't allow for 2 interpretations that are both valid and contradict each other.

That is what happened in TLJ, a lot. From Luke the magnificent symbol hero to the coward failure on the other side, Rose with the levelheaded action and positive message to the crazy in love traitor kamikaze that sabotages Finn where Holdo and Luke were allowed to succeed. Kylo the badass conflicted dude that frees himself from his master to the ranting crybaby that fails at everything etc etc etc.

There is value in not describing every detail and let the audience speculate a bit, but if the audience doesn't even agree on what was going on then that is a sign of weak messaging! That's also where the blame game comes from, suddenly we have the sjwarriors using the movie as a tool to further their libtard agenda and on the other end the incel racists that are too dumb to get the simplest of things in a movie for kids.
"Both valid"?
Those "other side" examples you gave are utter bullshit and not remotely supported by the film.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The problem is you shouldn't use the 8th movie in a 9 movie epic to do that. Could you imagine going into Indiana Jones 5 and a new main character needs help and goes to Indiana Jones but it turns out Indiana decided archeology is shit and decided to hide on a remote island to avoid people asking for his expertise.
One of the main issues of Indiana was Indiana doing the same thing, but older.

Htown summed up the poor thinking behind this statement.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela

Knock it off with the out of character bullshit.

Luke knew Vader was his father, went to save him, and the second Vader said he'd corrupt Leia Luke went beserker rage crazy and hacked his arm off. He had to will himself back to the light side, but you don't magically get over that sort of blind rage. His reaction to Kylo possibly killing Leia is completely in character.

Thats not to say you have to enjoy it, but lack of enjoyment doesn't mean you're entitled to retcon established canon to try and justify it.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I don't like Luke I love what Rian did.

I don't like his return being hyped only to have him used like that but I love how Rian seemed to try different things with Star Wars. I'm not sure if we ever see Jedi knights have an inner conflict of faith like Luke did and Rian did his story telling with high quality.

I really hope we get more Star Wars material from him.

Yeah, if he had done that with anyone else I think it would've been fine. If it had been Johnson's own trilogy and there was a legendary Jedi called Larry Skyguy that the good guys and the bad guys were racing to get to first and when they get there they find a broken man who gave up on everything and everyone he ever loved, I wouldn't have had any problems with it at all.

But Luke bloody Skywalker? The guy that threw away his lightsaber and chose unconditional love over hate, who abandoned his Jedi training because his friends were in trouble, who took out one of the most dangerous crime lords in the galaxy to save his best friend, who blew up the fucking DEATH STAR?

Nah.

Funnily enough, Battlefront 2 has a mission where you play as Luke and he's amazing in it. That's what basically everyone thought Luke Skywalker would be like until The Last Jedi came out. It was a bold choice to go for something completely different but I'm still not convinced it was the right one.

If you ask me, the entire trilogy is held back by knee jerk reactions - The Last Jedi is a dramatic departure from Star Wars norms because The Force Awakens was deemed too safe, but then Rise of Skywalker was too safe because The Last Jedi went too far.

They really need to figure out how to balance giving fans what they want to see with surprising fans with things they didn't expect to see.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I think people fundamentally misunderstand the choice Luke made. He didn't leave anyone to die. He believed they were better off for him not being there. He still respected and trusted the force. But he did not see his place in it. It's a depression analogue. He's retreated from life because he believes that his involvement makes things worse.

He didn't give up on anything but himself and the Jedi faith.

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Knock it off with the out of character bullshit.

Luke knew Vader was his father, went to save him, and the second Vader said he'd corrupt Leia Luke went beserker rage crazy and hacked his arm off. He had to will himself back to the light side, but you don't magically get over that sort of blind rage. His reaction to Kylo possibly killing Leia is completely in character.

Thats not to say you have to enjoy it, but lack of enjoyment doesn't mean you're entitled to retcon established canon to try and justify it.

You really need to stop trying to rewrite RotJ.

The whole movie Luke is being told he has to kill Vader. Practically the whole fight he's trying to avoid it. He's got the Emperor and Vader both saying everything they can to goad him until finally it boils over. Leia's not some easy trigger that switches him into a raging lunatic.

Young Luke is emotional and headstrong but we've seen Leia and others in trouble plenty of times and he doesn't turn to rage. It was the most extreme of circumstances that push him in RotJ.

And that's the problem with TLJ. It's not even confident enough to show us what Luke sees in Ben's head that makes him go crazy much less build to any of it.

In RotJ we see the stress of his mentors telling him he has to face Vader. He's the lone Hope. The entire good guy plan was actually all a trap by the Emperor and he has to watch all of his buddies get blown up right outside the window. Luke feeling conflict in his dad but his dad telling him the darkside is too strong. Emperor's constant goading and eventually Vader joins in. Etc etc. We see all of this and it all builds to that moment.

TLJ does none of this. You are just supposed to take it's literal words that somehow Snoke turned Bens heart and when Luke went into his bedroom to read his thoughts (already a creepy act that has no base in his established character) what he sees is so awful that it momentarily makes him forget that the future isn't set in stone and that even someone as awful as Darth Vader wasn't beyond saving and that it'd be a good idea to kill his sleeping nephew even though he's never done anything and is only guilty of dark thoughts.

This isn't beyond belief but it's an incredibly cynical take on the character and one that it doesn't earn because it asks you to simply take the writers spoken words for it instead of doing the leg work to show how such an extreme thing could come to be.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
You really need to stop trying to rewrite RotJ.

The whole movie Luke is being told he has to kill Vader. Practically the whole fight he's trying to avoid it. He's got the Emperor and Vader both saying everything they can to goad him until finally it boils over. Leia's not some easy trigger that switches him into a raging lunatic.

Young Luke is emotional and headstrong but we've seen Leia and others in trouble plenty of times and he doesn't turn to rage. It was the most extreme of circumstances that push him in RotJ.

And that's the problem with TLJ. It's not even confident enough to show us what Luke sees in Ben's head that makes him go crazy much less build to any of it.

In RotJ we see the stress of his mentors telling him he has to face Vader. He's the lone Hope. The entire good guy plan was actually all a trap by the Emperor and he has to watch all of his buddies get blown up right outside the window. Luke feeling conflict in his dad but his dad telling him the darkside is too strong. Emperor's constant goading and eventually Vader joins in. Etc etc. We see all of this and it all builds to that moment.

TLJ does none of this. You are just supposed to take it's literal words that somehow Snoke turned Bens heart and when Luke went into his bedroom to read his thoughts (already a creepy act that has no base in his established character) what he sees is so awful that it momentarily makes him forget that the future isn't set in stone and that even someone as awful as Darth Vader wasn't beyond saving and that it'd be a good idea to kill his sleeping nephew even though he's never done anything and is only guilty of dark thoughts.

This isn't beyond belief but it's an incredibly cynical take on the character and one that it doesn't earn because it asks you to simply take the writers spoken words for it instead of doing the leg work to show how such an extreme thing could come to be.

It's called acting, dude. We don't need to have a two minute sequence when a close up of Mark H going from horrified to enraged to self loathing conveys all the relevant information. Less is more, and sometimes... just sometimes... actors can tell a story without CGi destruction.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's called acting, dude. We don't need to have a two minute sequence when a close up of Mark H going from horrified to enraged to self loathing conveys all the relevant information. Less is more, and sometimes... just sometimes... actors can tell a story without CGi destruction.
I'm reminded of how TROS has the worst use of flashbacks in the entire film franchise.
I think people fundamentally misunderstand the choice Luke made. He didn't leave anyone to die. He believed they were better off for him not being there. He still respected and trusted the force. But he did not see his place in it. It's a depression analogue. He's retreated from life because he believes that his involvement makes things worse.

The reaction to Luke Skywalker's character in TLJ is actually a really good representation of how poorly we treat the subject of mental health, especially when it comes to "famous" people.

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Apparently Rian Johnson doesn't agree with you because he does the whole thing with a voice over exposistion dump.

And none of that addresses the main point that it took an entire film of triggers to push Luke to that point and it's not simply a character trait he easily slips into.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I think the main point of conflict with this scene is how people interpret what the force influences are here. Like, I don't get the impression, based on how Force works with other people, that when it presents the user with ideas, it's showing them in merely in an audio-visual manner. Snoke didn't just "use literal words", he used a magic, metaphysical force that tangibly turned Ben into a disturbed little boy. In the framework of the force, being of the darkside isn't merely an action you do, it's a metaphysical state of being that you can influence with this spacemagic. You cast a magic spell and you become someone who would commit atrocities.

Similarly, I don't think "force vision' is like a movie that's played in your head. It isn't just a literal vision, but something the character either lives through or does something close to it with all the experiential elements of it. That's why for me, Luke lifting up his lightsaber works because if you look at his acting, he doesn't even seem to know he's doing it at the time. He looks outright confused at the moment that he has it ignited in his hand, more akin to someone like a soldier who just suffered a PTSD flashback. In fact, as I just wrote that, I was reminded of stories I read about how Soldiers would often accidentally point guns at their loved ones because they get startled by loud noises and forget where they are.

Luke's scene plays out like him having sensed the darkside in Ben for a long time and tried to work it out, but couldn't so he finally tries the direct method of just looking into his heart to see whats up, only to live through a scene of chaos and destruction that puts him a live threatening mindset before he comes to his senses. But if you just go by what you literally see happening, then yeah, it's an absurd overreaction.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Similarly, I don't think "force vision' is like a movie that's played in your head. It isn't just a literal vision, but something the character either lives through or does something close to it with all the experiential elements of it.
This is actually how it's shown in Force Awakens.

She's not just seeing stuff, she's essentially inside the experience.

When the ground shifts she physically falls over. When it's raining she feels it getting her skin and clothes wet.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
I mean I felt it was a fine depiction of Luke.

Minus his questionable knee-jerk reaction to whip out his lightsaber on an unsuspecting young Ben.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nah, he quite literally gave up on everyone. He knew about the First Order, about Snoke, he knew Palpatine was still alive on Exogol, he knew about Rey's lineage... He turned his back on all of that, on the millions of people that would suffer because he wasn't there to save them. About the only thing he didn't know about was Starkiller Base.

It's already pretty hard to imagine a Luke Skywalker that wouldn't hunt Snoke down to kill him before he corrupts others, but it's even harder to imagine a Luke Skywalker that would sooner try to kill his own nephew than take Palpatine's granddaughter under his wing so she doesn't turn out like he did.

Basically nothing Luke does makes any sense and then he buggers off for years, leaving everyone to fend for themselves because he'd rather hide on a rock in guilt.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
I mean I felt it was a fine depiction of Luke.

Minus his questionable knee-jerk reaction to whip out his lightsaber on an unsuspecting young Ben.
I feel the same way. They really needed to work on his motivation to go full hermit, but having Luke be a hermit instead of some Jedi Jesus is way more inspired. But him turning his saber against his own nephew, however brief, just isn't believable. He refused to cut darth Vader the fuck down and he was literally space hitler. But his young ass NEPHEW? Saber goes BSHHH. Cahm aaahhhhnn.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the same way. They really needed to work on his motivation to go full hermit, but having Luke be a hermit instead of some Jedi Jesus is way more inspired. But him turning his saber against his own nephew, however brief, just isn't believable. He refused to cut darth Vader the fuck down and he was literally space hitler. But his young ass NEPHEW? Saber goes BSHHH. Cahm aaahhhhnn.
He cut is father's arm off in a fit of anger before realizing what he had done.

This isn't out of character for him.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't buy it lol

but, Hey, made me realize, no one lost an arm the trilogy! That would've been a cooler motivation. Luke cuts bens arm off cuz he spends too much time whacking off in his room

Phasma got her arm cut off in The Last Jedi but then they axed the scene because I guess the only people allowed to have character development is Rey and Ben.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why people are trying to re-litigate The Last Jedi now. People have spent roughly two years arguing it, and getting nowhere. Some like it, some hate it. It is what it is. IMO, it's greatest "crime" is not ending in a fashion that lends itself to a sequel well.
TLJ set up a sequel almost perfectly. The fact JJ took he route he did and undid everything interesting TLJ gave us is the only crime here.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh right I guess he was looking for Exogol because it'd make a nice holiday destination?

From the TLJ Visual Dictionary:
Qyx7e45.jpg

From the TROS Visual Dictionary:
G3nI25N.jpg

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much man

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the TLJ Visual Dictionary:
Qyx7e45.jpg

From the TROS Visual Dictionary:
G3nI25N.jpg

Okay, I stand corrected. Luke didn't know Palpatine was still alive and simply stopped caring, he just knew Exegol was important to Palpatine - who had spent decades hoarding Jedi and Sith artifacts that would be dangerous in the wrong hands - and that there was a Sith wayfinder out there that would lead right to it and... he simply stopped caring.

That's totally understandable. My bad.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It was very believable imo. Be had begun to believe his own legend, similar hubris to the downfall of many Jedi before him. He hadn't properly prepared himself to face this evil.

Not only was it a well written scene, it perfectly fit with every SW that had come before it.