MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
Can totally be this, but with how long production in animation takes I really want to believe S5 is at least written at this point, but with the pandemic who knows when we will get it
It was confirmed some weeks ago that they are already in the middle of writing season 6, which means season 5 is already completed, as a script at least

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just got to watch the Vat of Acid episode, that was pretty solid (even if some of the themes like do overs to reduce risk have been covered before).

Going through the thread for when this episode aired, there was some discussion about why Morty didn't make another save after meeting his girlfriend, over such a long period of time. It's because the save device only holds one save point at a time, and has to reset before being able to store a more recent one.

That's actually (maybe) an interesting game mechanic. Save points but you can only hold a single one and have to start over from previous one to make a new one. Some neat risk versus reward play, because each time you try to get a save point further in the game you'd be unprotected by a save file and could risk losing everything.

Reminds of the old memory card days in ps1.

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
Nah. The show has shown repeatedly that his more selfish reasons for caring about Morty are bullshit.

That's not why he did it. Both options are what Beth wanted and he wanted Beth to be happy. She wanted to leave and the only reason she wanted to stay was because she had commitments. Rick wanted her to leave because that would make her happy but he also wanted her to stay because he loves her. Which one left and which one stayed doesn't really matter, but Rick got sentimental and didn't want to know which was which because he couldn't live with the knowledge. Either he sent Beth out and the Beth he lives with is a clone and thus their relationship is a lie or he made Beth stay with him and forced her to live a life she doesn't really want. He randomized it so he doesn't have to know which scenario he's living. Both of those scenarios were painful to him and ignorance is bliss.

Excellent summation. I agree with you and so does my wife.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno if Rick and Morty need an ongoing long story arc? Pretty much all of the Season 1 episodes can be watched in any order and you want miss out anything if you hadn't seen an episode. Season 2 and Season 3 dabbled with it to some mixed results (You get your greats and your not so greats in the process) and this Season seemed to be on a active mission to try and stop Ongoing arcs espicially with the Story Train episode.

I dunno what would be better for Rick and Morty, to go with a Simpson style story of the week approach, or to have long changing arcs that shake up character dynamics over time. I think an argument could be made in favour for both. Rick and Morty just needs to decide on one.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I dunno if Rick and Morty need an ongoing long story arc? Pretty much all of the Season 1 episodes can be watched in any order and you want miss out anything if you hadn't seen an episode. Season 2 and Season 3 dabbled with it to some mixed results (You get your greats and your not so greats in the process) and this Season seemed to be on a active mission to try and stop Ongoing arcs espicially with the Story Train episode.

I dunno what would be better for Rick and Morty, to go with a Simpson style story of the week approach, or to have long changing arcs that shake up character dynamics over time. I think an argument could be made in favour for both. Rick and Morty just needs to decide on one.
I really don't think they need to choose. They seem fine doing whatever sounds good to them in the writing room. Which is mostly one off adventures, which is for the best. But every so often they think of an idea that has to do with the continuity, and if they like it they go with it. Just like the season finale or the Ricklantis Mixup

That's what it seems like they are doing, and I think that's the best way. There is no reason to put any restrictions on their writing process. Especially given the themes and concepts of the show.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Now that the dust has settled I just want to say that I really, really enjoyed Season 5. That 9/11 joke was maybe the hardest I've laughed at a single gag all year.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Channel 4 doesn't get Rick and Morty again for season 5, fucking ballache trying to watch it on their app, and episodes disappear after a time. Netflix still only has half of season 4 right now, and the season's been done for time.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Channel 4 doesn't get Rick and Morty again for season 5, fucking ballache trying to watch it on their app, and episodes disappear after a time. Netflix still only has half of season 4 right now, and the season's been done for time.

Not on my Netflix (UAE). That's weird. I thought it was published by Netflix or something, since Season 4 dropped on time.

——-

The season finale was pure Dan Harmon. I love it so much!

May 10, 2019

This just came up on my Youtube.

giphy.gif

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
Did they just randomly release that? I was confused when I saw it on my feed on what exactly it was.

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017
Most of that short went over my head. Is there a summary?

The whole erasing of memories and time travel was a little hard to follow. I thought this YouTube comment helped a bit:

"A bit of translation help: The Japanese script mentions "Urashima Taro" instead of Rip Van Winkle when Rick gives Morty the serum. In Urashima Taro, a man saves a turtle from children that were toying around with it by putting it back in the ocean. A couple days later, that turtle comes back and takes him to an underwater palace to meet the princess there. The man and the princess spend a week together, but he has to go home to tend to his parents. Dismayed, the princess gives him a box and tells him never to open it. When the man returns home, everything is gone: his home, his parents, and everyone he knew. He ends up opening the box, and he becomes an old man.

So in this version, Rick and Morty go on a ton of adventures together (duh). When time's up, instead of a box containing old age, Rick gives Morty a serum containing all of his memories that turns him into Rick. Present Rick sacrifices himself to blow up the spaceship and thwart Evil Morty (who is the Morty who didn't take the serum). Present Morty takes the serum that turns him into Rick right up until future Morty is born. Rick and Morty go on a ton of adventures together again. "

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
That short was so confusing and weird. That style of media is just not for me. Which is fine. I just don't get it.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved they went so far out for it. I don't need every short to be like it, but god damn they went for it and I love it.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The whole erasing of memories and time travel was a little hard to follow. I thought this YouTube comment helped a bit:

"A bit of translation help: The Japanese script mentions "Urashima Taro" instead of Rip Van Winkle when Rick gives Morty the serum. In Urashima Taro, a man saves a turtle from children that were toying around with it by putting it back in the ocean. A couple days later, that turtle comes back and takes him to an underwater palace to meet the princess there. The man and the princess spend a week together, but he has to go home to tend to his parents. Dismayed, the princess gives him a box and tells him never to open it. When the man returns home, everything is gone: his home, his parents, and everyone he knew. He ends up opening the box, and he becomes an old man.

So in this version, Rick and Morty go on a ton of adventures together (duh). When time's up, instead of a box containing old age, Rick gives Morty a serum containing all of his memories that turns him into Rick. Present Rick sacrifices himself to blow up the spaceship and thwart Evil Morty (who is the Morty who didn't take the serum). Present Morty takes the serum that turns him into Rick right up until future Morty is born. Rick and Morty go on a ton of adventures together again. "

holy shit lmao

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
You know even though I'm not a fan of Rick = Morty as a story, it would explain his personality a lot and why he treats Morty so terribly at times and not so much at others. Like, his lack of attachment to everything could explain a lot.

Buuuuuut I don't think this is canon so hey. But if it's all we ever get about Evil Morty I'm still satisfied.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
So in the episode with the talking cat, why does it get abandoned again? I never really understood that part.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
So in the episode with the talking cat, why does it get abandoned again? I never really understood that part.
The cat just wants to chill with them, Rick is suspicious so he peers into the Cat's mind to learn its past, along with Jerry, and the cat has some sorta' history that's apparently so horrible they want nothing to do with it. We're not shown, told, or really hinted what that history is, but it's enough to break Jerry and force him to grow, and to make even a person like Rick sick.