Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The wheel of Morty replacements mentioned Kyle again, that's two this season (at least?). I guess Kyle is the next backstory thing we might get answered in a few seasons.

We've seen Rick kill other Ricks; has he ever killed a Beth, Morty, Summer, or even Jerry? I can't recall.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Ok I didn't understand the ending completely. Maybe its depression combined with migraines but i had a hard time following can some one explain to me in simple words

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I didn't understand the ending completely. Maybe its depression combined with migraines but i had a hard time following can some one explain to me in simple words
The reason Rick is the most powerful man in the universe is because he walled off all the other universes where he isn't. Evil Morty's plan all along has just been to escape to the wider multiverse beyond where everything doesn't revolve around Rick. Also our Rick's backstory really is that his family was killed decades ago and so he went on a bender killing other Ricks in revenge, before finally helping to build the citadel for reasons and retiring to live with a Beth that he (randomly?) picked

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
I didn't catch the relationship between evil Morty's screaming Morty geodesic dome and the citadel. Was there some kind of connection?

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't catch the relationship between evil Morty's screaming Morty geodesic dome and the citadel. Was there some kind of connection?
Evil Morty wanted to capture Rick C-137, scan his brain for Citadel plans, then kill him. He built the dome to hide from the Citadel knowing C-137 would find him anyway (Morty brainwaves cancel Rick brainwaves and act as a cloak). Plan mostly works and Evil Morty scans most of his brain, and he gets the rest of it at dinner in this episode.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
The reason Rick is the most powerful man in the universe is because he walled off all the other universes where he isn't. Evil Morty's plan all along has just been to escape to the wider multiverse beyond where everything doesn't revolve around Rick. Also our Rick's backstory really is that his family was killed decades ago and so he went on a bender killing other Ricks in revenge, before finally helping to build the citadel for reasons and retiring to live with a Beth that he (randomly?) picked
The portal at the end Evil Morty goes into is yellow, signifying that's what portals should normally look like, not the green Central Finite Curve ones.

Oct 27, 2017
So Evil Morty's entire plan was just to escape the CFC and escape to the wider multiverse which wasn't dominated by Ricks? Do we get any proper motivation for him, or is it just that he's sick of Ricks?

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
As much as i enjoyed the last episode i really hope they'll explain down the line why the other beings in the universe (that rick used the wall to keep out) would accept this in the first place. Rick build the wall to keep beings more powerful than him out? How is that possible if he isn't the biggest fish in the pond? A morty was able to push through ffs. It can't be that big of a deal.

Do these more intelligent beings simply don't give a shit about rick? But then he wouldn't need the wall in the first place.

It just doesn't make sense to me. If they don't care about rick he has no reason to wall part of the universe off. If they care and are indeed above ricks intelligence they wouldn't be tricked by the wall and wouldn't take to kindly that someone below them walled off a part of "their" universe.

He can't be smarter and dumber than them and they can't ignore him and be interested in him at the same time.

Oct 27, 2017
As much as i enjoyed the last episode i really hope they'll explain down the line why the other beings in the universe (that rick used the wall to keep out) would accept this in the first place. Rick build the wall to keep beings more powerful than him out? How is that possible if he isn't the biggest fish in the pond? A morty was able to push through ffs. It can't be that big of a deal.

Do these more intelligent beings simply don't give a shit about rick? But then he wouldn't need the wall in the first place.

It just doesn't make sense to me. If they don't care about rick he has no reason to wall part of the universe off. If they care and are indeed above ricks intelligence they wouldn't be tricked by the wall and wouldn't take to kindly that someone below them walled off a part of "their" universe.

He can't be smarter and dumber than them and they can't ignore him and be interested in him at the same time.

The whole thing could be a ego trip - he wanted to be the smartest being in his pocket universe, but other biggest threats don't give enough of a shit to do anything about it. Or it could have been part of his effort to find the Killer Rick; assuming he would be one of the smartest so he locks them all together in the hope that one day he will find him in this finite pocket universe, but maybe after ~3 decades of looking that fire had burnt out.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
The whole thing could be a ego trip - he wanted to be the smartest being in his pocket universe, but other biggest threats don't give enough of a shit to do anything about it. Or it could have been part of his effort to find the Killer Rick; assuming he would be one of the smartest so he locks them all together in the hope that one day he will find him in this finite pocket universe, but maybe after ~3 decades of looking that fire had burnt out.

Oh his reasons i understand but why should an even higher being allow him to do as he pleases?

Would you accept another human to just wall of a part of your garden without asking you or telling you what they're doing? You would be pissed.

Why are they letting him do as he pleases?

Oct 27, 2017
Oh his reasons i understand but why should an even higher being allow him to do as he pleases?

Would you accept another human to just wall of a part of your garden without asking you or telling you what they're doing? You would be pissed.

Why are they letting him do as he pleases?

Because it's probably a few hundred thousand realities out of infinity? Or maybe it's infinity realities, but there's infinity more so it doesn't matter. I'm not really sure how it works with infinity.

But either way, it could be that he's so far below their barrier of awareness that they don't consider him worthy of thought. Like an ant colony building in your garden. Do you go and squash the ants or just pay them no attention except maybe noticing them once?

I dunno, I think it's an interesting idea but I'm just spitballing.

Emancipation is reason enough I think. It's part of Morty's character arc. His whole goal is to grow up, affirm himself and be his own man rather than following Rick forever.

Yeah, that's fair enough. We saw this Evil Morty isn't too much different from our Morty, just that he's had enough of Ricks.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Because it's probably a few hundred thousand realities out of infinity? Or maybe it's infinity realities, but there's infinity more so it doesn't matter. I'm not really sure how it works with infinity.

But either way, it could be that he's so far below their barrier of awareness that they don't consider him worthy of thought. Like an ant colony building in your garden. Do you go and squash the ants or just pay them no attention except maybe noticing them once?

Now that's a great visual.

But if that would be true the question is "why does he need to wall himself off" if they don't give a shit about him or don't even register that he's alive?

But that's the beauty. We'll see. There're 5 seasons left.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea what the hell happened but I loved the finale. Evil Morty is the best.

Kind of felt like it needed two episodes though. Felt like they were rushing through it.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully we never see Evil Morty again. He had an arc, I resolved, and hasn't done anything personal to Rick or Morty that would merit going after him.

I guess it would be fine if in a few seasons a yellow portal opens and dumps him half dead in front of Rick and he goes "he's coming!" and dies sort of herald of Thanos sort of deal.

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
Hopefully we never see Evil Morty again. He had an arc, I resolved, and hasn't done anything personal to Rick or Morty that would merit going after him.

I guess it would be fine if in a few seasons a yellow portal opens and dumps him half dead in front of Rick and he goes "he's coming!" and dies sort of herald of Thanos sort of deal.

I could see it, something along the lines of this Super Evil Rick killing our Rick family so he would do all the job to isolate all the Ricks from the rest of the multiverse, and maybe even end up killing all the Ricks. And he would have all the rest of the multiverse for himself?

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The one thing we still don't know is what makes this Morty special. In a way he is rhe antithesis to evil morty. Was it pure luck?

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Can't help but think that was definitely poking fun at anime in general.

Also would it kill the Japanese VA could put a little more effort into the belches?

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
LTTP but I just finished it yesterday. Loved it for the most part (the sperm episode was really...a bit too much imo), particularly the finale. Odd that they reject these canon episodes so much when they're easily their best ones imo.

Dan Harmon doesn't like doing lore/canon because fans guess/figure it out and ruin it for him. They put too much stock in surprise.

Dan Harmon: "You cannot write payoff-based TV anymore because the audience is essentially a render farm. They have an unlimited calculation capacity. There's no writers' room that can think more than 20 million people who can think about it for an hour a day."

Some writers on the show are so antagonistic to the concept of fan theories that they will actively try to make sure theories fans come up with are false simply for the sake of it.

Mike McMahan: "The fastest way to make sure your Rick & Morty fan theory is wrong is to tell me about it, because then I'll make sure it never happens. I can't guarantee that I'll have the sway to 100% keep it from happening, but I'll try. I'll try until I'm dead. It's no fun if somebody guesses a secret plot line, I'd rather be surprising than prove someone guessed right. Also: I'm a jerk."
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard and exactly why people say "Rick and Morty fans are dumb"
This is some JJ Abrams-tier rationale

May 26, 2018
Sorry to bump an old thread but don't feel like it's worth making a new thread.

Binged the whole show over several days. Some really interesting science fiction concepts well written.

But at some point the show is just relentlessly depressing. It's like watching Evangelion or Devilman with a veneer of fast paced comedy. Self destruction as entertainment. Definitely won't be revisiting, even as I understand why it's so popular. I get why people lost their minds over Pickle Rick. That was one hell of a power fantasy.

Anyway, I can now tell people that I have seen Rick and Morty, and that's enough. Boy is it enough.

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to bump an old thread but don't feel like it's worth making a new thread.

Binged the whole show over several days. Some really interesting science fiction concepts well written.

But at some point the show is just relentlessly depressing. It's like watching Evangelion or Devilman with a veneer of fast paced comedy. Self destruction as entertainment. Definitely won't be revisiting, even as I understand why it's so popular. I get why people lost their minds over Pickle Rick. That was one hell of a power fantasy.

Anyway, I can now tell people that I have seen Rick and Morty, and that's enough. Boy is it enough.

I get that.
It's a bit like True Detective S1 but as a (dark) comedy. Cosmic horror essentially. The notion that we are insignificant in a cold and uncaring universe. I personally find that kind of existential horror very interesting but I get why it can be too much for some. To me the comedy and parody makes it less heavy than Lovecraft or True Detetive but Rick.& Morty isn't Futurama either. I do find it impressive how it seemingly effortlessly switches from comedy to heady sci-fi and philosophical concepts and back in 20 minutes or so.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel the same exact way. It's a great show on the first viewing but I can't stand to watch repeats because past the initial funny of absorbing all the jokes for the first time it's depressing as hell! I still get excited for new seasons though.

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Adult Swim started a mini series about the Vindicators (before they all got murdered in Rick's deathtrap)

Episode 1

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJzpJh9_KFg

What I do find interesting is that Supernova said Alan was the one who didn't want to get Rick involved to help with Doomnomitron when she was the only one who didn't want Rick's involvement

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 31, 2017
Just found out my brother has watched all episodes of Rick & Morty. Only reason I just found out is because my partner and I watched the whole series only earlier this year, or else I'm sure I'd have talked to him about it at some point in years past. =P

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Those episodes really put a lot of what happened in Vindicators 3 into perspective. It's wild

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Decided to go through season 5 after the season 6 announcement and while I still enjoy the show it feels like it isn't nearly as funny as the first few seasons. Not that jokes don't land, just like they aren't making as many jokes as they were in the first few. I don't know, maybe they are making more visual gags I just don't get because I can't see them with my vision.

New OT is Up
OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
New OT
www.resetera.com

Rick and Morty S6 |OT| (In)Finite Central Curve (Spoilers on Episode Drop)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOkeB4ZTjFM Season premiere: Sunday, September 4, at 11 p.m. ET / 8 p.m. Subsequent episodes will air every Sunday at this time Well by my count we have 6 more seasons left until Rick completes his series arc and gets that McNugget dipping sauce Aw Jeez, I...