Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Damn... really want to try this now. My normal idea of a workout is P90X. How is this compared to that?

I'm looking to broaden my workouts in general and add this as a supplement.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Before i buy the game, is there exercises you are forced to do or can you skip/change them? Because of a medical condition i can do most exercises except abs related fitness like Sit-Up.

CrazyIvan

Oct 26, 2017
Vermont
Damn... really want to try this now. My normal idea of a workout is P90X. How is this compared to that?

I'm looking to broaden my workouts in general and add this as a supplement.

I don't think you can compare the two. P90X (which I did a couple years ago) is way more intensive if you really went at it hard. RFA is more intense than I expected (the 30th squat is way harder than I thought when I started), but it's probably 1/2 to 3/4 of the P90X in terms of intensity.

Which is still DAMN good for a really fun, gamified workout.

CrazyIvan

Oct 26, 2017
Vermont
How would someone rate the intensity for someone who already works out regularly?

Would be cool to replace one of my cardio spots with this.

Honestly, the cardio portion wasn't all that intense to me, but I'm also a long distance runner so running in place isn't really going to tire me out. But the strength training portions were phenomenal and a blast, so I see this as a supplement to a cardio routine as opposed to a replacement.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think you can compare the two. P90X (which I did a couple years ago) is way more intensive if you really went at it hard. RFA is more intense than I expected (the 30th squat is way harder than I thought when I started), but it's probably 1/2 to 3/4 of the P90X in terms of intensity.

Which is still DAMN good for a really fun, gamified workout.
That's good. It would be difficult to get any game time in if it were as hard as P90X since it would drain me too much. But I could maybe do it on a rest day or something just to get some fun in during the winter months.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Before i buy the game, is there exercises you are forced to do or can you skip/change them? Because of a medical condition i can do most exercises except abs related fitness like Sit-Up.

So during battles you can choose what exercises to use from a list. There are arm, leg, ab and yoga exercises. After a few worlds in the game you're told that different exercises do more damage against differently colored enemies (red for arms, blue for legs, yellow for abs, green for yoga), so it recommends you use certain exercises at certain times. But you don't actually NEED to do what it says.

However, there are also obstacles in each level that do require you to do a certain exercise in order to pass, and those aren't optional. But, there is an option in the game that lets you use a buttons to partially assist with exercises. I'm not entirely sure how it works because I haven't yet needed to use it, but I think it allows you to basically skip any exercise you physically cannot do.

I'd do more research on the partial button assist function though before buying.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
My girlfriend got this for me for Christmas. I could really stand to lose some weight and get some semblance of fitness back, so gonna try to start and keep at it with the New Year.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
How would someone rate the intensity for someone who already works out regularly?

Would be cool to replace one of my cardio spots with this.

There is a youtube review posted in this thread by a well cut fitness buff and he states that the game is very demanding if you preset your fitness level as high when the game asks you in the beginning. I've seen a few other reviews outside this thread from personal trainers who see a value in the highest settings as well. The game seems to be scaling really well across different levels of fitness.

Kandinsky

Oct 25, 2017
Got this for christmas and I'm curious do people actually lose weight with this?, lots of positive impressions but nobody talks about losing weight :O

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I also got this on Christmas and it seems very fun and surprinsingly deep and well done. Sadly I just tried a single run yesterday and will have to wait a few days to really begin training but I think it will be perfect for january resolutions

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Mine just got delivered and I'm excited to play some over the weekend, just tried it for the first level and seems great.

The game doesn't really scale really well on 4K tvs it seems.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got this for christmas and I'm curious do people actually lose weight with this?, lots of positive impressions but nobody talks about losing weight :O

Well it gets your heart rate up and you're constantly jogging in place so yeah it looks like a solid way of getting cardio depending on how intense you go. Doesn't seem like a bad way to lose weight at all. Would be cool if the game teaches people about nutrition because that plays a big role too.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Got it for Christmas. Totally agree. It's really motivating since the game itself is fun. Though I do wonder how long this will last.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Well it gets your heart rate up and you're constantly jogging in place so yeah it looks like a solid way of getting cardio depending on how intense you go. Doesn't seem like a bad way to lose weight at all. Would be cool if the game teaches people about nutrition because that plays a big role too.

I've seen Tipp, an in-game character, repeatedly tell me about the importance about a good diet. It's certainly mentioned, though I don't think the game elaborates too deeply into precisely what you'd need to do, such as protein and carbs, and how they impact what you're looking for.

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
Day 3 after I was gifted this for Christmas. This is a godsend. I work out almost everyday and I haven't been this exhausted since I started Ringfit.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Got it for Christmas and I'm loving this game.

I've decided to pair a short session of Ringfit with some cardio for my daily routine, and boy am I sore right now, feels good.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
So I got gifted a $50 GC for Christmas. Would you guys recommend getting this to start losing some weight in 2020? :P
Losing weight is done primarily in the kitchen. If you want to lose weight, I'd really suggest to download MyFitnessPal or something and track how much you really eat.

However, obviously exercise can help a lot and I'd say this game is pretty good with getting you to move your body.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018

Well...I was the first surprised to see that I lost 12kg ( yeah, wtf?) since I began playing this game (day one) and I'm not on a diet or anything, I haven't changed what I eat....so...I suppose that could work for certain people?

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of the many who got it for Christmas, and it's really fun and a little addicting so far.

It actually can make you sweat pretty hard.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Got this for my wife for Christmas. She hasn't tried it yet, but after reading your glowing impressions OP, I think I want to give this a shot too. ha! Thanks for sharing your impressions. May 2020 be a healthier year for all of us!

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
I like the game, but I'm level 80 now in world 10 and I'm slowly getting tired how each battle is getting to feel so long.

At the beginning it was great because battles felt bite sized and you could jump in and out fairly quickly. Now it's like 15 minutes a stage and I'm not having nearly as much fun.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I like the game, but I'm level 80 now in world 10 and I'm slowly getting tired how each battle is getting to feel so long.

At the beginning it was great because battles felt bite sized and you could jump in and out fairly quickly. Now it's like 15 minutes a stage and I'm not having nearly as much fun.

Have you bought new clothes and spent some of your skill points on more powerful attacks? I'm level 155 now and I don't remember getting to a point where each battle took that much time.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
I started out with the Story Mode and now I've switched to doing 2 of those sets a day and cycling through them every week. I think that works better for me in terms of total time spent to working out ratio.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
Have you bought new clothes and spent some of your skill points on more powerful attacks? I'm level 155 now and I don't remember getting to a point where each battle took that much time.
Of course, I'm always upgrading provided I have the money (which is always somehow in short supply) . It's probably just a combination of natural difficulty increase due to progress and me slowly upping the difficulty so I'm forced to do more reps for less damage.

Mar 29, 2018
Another Christmas recipient here!

Slight concern - our living room floor is pretty thin and the neighbor below often has problems with noise pollution from our apartment.

Does ringfit involve a lot of stomping and stepping? Lots of floor collisions?

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Another Christmas recipient here!

Slight concern - our living room floor is pretty thin and the neighbor below often has problems with noise pollution from our apartment.

Does ringfit involve a lot of stomping and stepping? Lots of floor collisions?
I just got is and noticed while I was setting it up that there was a "quiet" mode for just that reason. I haven't tried it since I don't have anyone living under me but normally the game does involve a lot of running in place...

Mar 29, 2018
Yeah, you'll be jogging in place a lot of the time. But there's a "silent mode" that allows you to lightly squat instead, I think.
I just got is and noticed while I was setting it up that there was a "quiet" mode for just that reason. I haven't tried it since I don't have anyone living under me but normally the game does involve a lot of running in place...
That is some good software design. Thanks for the info. I'd rather jog but I run for cardio anyway, so squats may be more productive.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

You might want to drop the difficulty down. I'm playing on 30 and agree with you that the stages just last forever because there's so many reps required to beat each monster. I dropped it down to 20 for a little and the stages went by much faster.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
You might want to drop the difficulty down. I'm playing on 30 and agree with you that the stages just last forever because there's so many reps required to beat each monster. I dropped it down to 20 for a little and the stages went by much faster.
Yeah I'm at level 27. It's not even that the exercises are hard. They're just long.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
About to go buy this thanks to some money I got for Christmas. I can't wait!

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
I had 25% off w/ Best Buy with the death of my Gamer Club. So I decided to finally bite the bullet on Ring Fit. It'll be nice to have something to work out with when I feel too lazy or sore to properly weightlift.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no problem with cardio walking or jogging or elyptical but damn this thing has kicked my ass on strength and fitness and that's where I can never motivate myself to do at the gym. I'm on day two and have an an and waist circuit goal and it's really helping me use muscles I never use. I think I can stick with this as long as I just get my cardio done outside.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
I didn't realize Walmarts $10 off initiative on games would apply to this, really glad I needed some beans for tacos and went there instead of ordering online or going to Best Buy or something. Excited to play for a bit later tonight! ... Though the tacos may have different plans for me.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
This game. I swear every time I feel like I am a total pro and got this and maybe I'm too fit for the work out (a ridiculous notion) it throws a new mechanic at me and I'm dead.

Squatting to get through the course can straight up die

Last edited: