Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Vanguard doesn't seem to get a break as anti-cheat. From being accused of being kernel level spyware to reported performance issues up to a point games stuttering constantly to now LoL players reporting "bricked" computers. One shouldn't need to remove CMOS battery, boot into BIOS and research what to do there so your PC boots after installing mandatory anti-cheat. I was considering giving LoL a go for fun, but this reporting has me being bit cautious.

For our resident LoL players, how Vanguard been treating you?

League of Legends devs respond to claims Vanguard is "bricking" computers

Riot has pushed back on these accusations in the past and, after an initial delay, added the anti-cheat to League of Legends in patch 14.9 on May 1. With its launch, multiple players have come forward on social media and Reddit claiming the anti-cheat is "bricking" their computers, or messing with their internal systems.

One of the most popular League content creators, Nick 'LS' De Cesare, claimed that the update "bricked" two of his PCs and warned players to be "afraid of this Vanguard update."

View: https://twitter.com/LSXYZ9/status/1785461537291034983

Riot has not put out a statement on the issue, but its senior anti-cheat analyst Matt 'K30' Paoletti has refuted claims on Reddit that the barrage of technical issues with the patch is due to Vanguard's introduction.

"An issue like this wouldn't be related to Vanguard. If you haven't restarted your computer in a while, it could related to an issue with your CMOS battery, since that's what powers the start-up chain," he told one player who claimed their laptop wouldn't turn on after the update.

View: https://twitter.com/yasubro/status/1785713137356058669?

www.dexerto.com

League of Legends devs respond to claims Vanguard is “bricking” computers - Dexerto

The addition of Vanguard in League of Legends has not gone smoothly as Riot is defending itself from claims that the update is "bricking" PCs.

league-of-legends-lol-vanguard-errors-riot-response.jpg

League of Legends implodes as Riot defends "PC bricking" anti-cheat

Windows cannot access the specific device. We couldn't install a dependency. Vanguard error 1067. If you've played League of Legends in the past 24 hours, you've probably been hit with one of these many error messages. Dropping alongside patch 14.9, Vanguard – Riot's divisive Valorant anti-cheat – has been targeted as the reason for all of the above, but Riot is adamant this isn't the case.

Vanguard is a kernel-level anti-cheat akin to the ones found in other multiplayer games like Fortnite and Warzone. Players have previously made accusations that it's spyware, but attempting to download Vanguard does result in a message alerting you that it will have access to your PC's core functions.

In the wake of League of Legends patch 14.9's release, however, chaos has ensued. Vanguard has been accused of "bricking people's PCs" and "tampering with unrelated files." One tweet also claims that it's asking you to "delete System32" – the directory that houses files that are critical to running the Windows OS.

View: https://twitter.com/flipsievt/status/1785737189919281457?s

Riot has posted several responses addressing these issues on Reddit, claiming that the slew of new tech problems do not correlate with Vanguard's launch.

When one player states that their laptop isn't booting and won't draw power from its charger, senior anti-cheat analyst Matt 'K30' Paoletti responds "An issue like this wouldn't be related to Vanguard. If you haven't restarted your computer in a while, it could related to an issue with your CMOS battery, since that's what powers the start-up chain."
A now-deleted response to K3o's original comment, obtained by X user 'Yasukeh' before it was removed by the LoL Reddit's moderator team, states "sure, multiple users getting the same situation after patching with League with Vanguard, must be the users' fault. Everyone's CMOS battery and motherboards decided to shit the bed when Vanguard launched."

K30 replies with "Vanguard isn't affecting the Ring -2/SMM level in this manner, and wouldn't be able to tamper with this step of the boot process. That being said, if you have other cases, you can escalate to me directly just to ensure anything else isn't going on related to us."
www.pcgamesn.com

League of Legends implodes as Riot defends “PC bricking” anti-cheat

Vanguard, Riot Games' Valorant anti-cheat, has been added to League of Legends with patch 14.9, and it's been accused of "bricking" PCs.

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
When I installed Valorant for the first time my PC started getting issues booting. It's was really slow and when it finally booted into the desktop nothing worked for like 10 seconds. Tried the game again on a new PC with better specs and a ssd, and same shit.
Considering Riot got hacked recently nobody should trust them with anything regarding security
I've uninstalled LoL from my PC.
Fuck you, Riot.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Always tend to install LoL once in 4/5 months just to play some arams and stuff, before uninstalling it 2 weeks later and repeat the cycle.

But shit like this will definitely help me getting over it completely instead.

Anidav

Oct 25, 2017
Brisbane
Vanguard disabled my USB ports and claimed my system 32 folder was a virus.

Unsure why. Antivirus says nothing is wrong with anything.

Bwlzero

Jan 6, 2018
Dunno I don't have any issues. Play both valorant and league with no issues...I have more issues with battle.net and steam. Nothing annoying though.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I never trust any of these bricking stories of software being the actual culprit. Ya, maybe it's what pushed your PC over the edge but the problem still lies in with the PC. It's like blaming the freeway for your car breaking down.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I never trust any of these bricking stories of software being the actual culprit. Ya, maybe it's what pushed your PC over the edge but the problem still lies in with the PC. It's like blaming the freeway for your car breaking down.

I mean, read the reddit thread. The issue is more complicated, but it absolutely caused peoples computers not to boot anymore. The issue is they are on windows 11 without a UEFI windows install and no TPM, but the game updating did cause their PCs not to boot through a series of domino effects.

Also their Q&A about reaching out to MSi for an afterburner update, that isn't going to do anything. I'm sure MSi doesn't care. Someone will report it to Unwinder, though.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Back when the game first released I installed Valorant in my brother's new computer and it fucked up. A perfectly good new computer that has given no other trouble after that. Some motherboard stuff stopped working and we had to manually reset the board and format and reinstall everything. He was not happy.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Nah vanguards dogshit - it killed my elgato which used to bluescreen my PC fairly regularly :) elgato confirmed it too.

Don't defend this specific piece of software, it's genuinely a bad root level anticheat.

Back when the game first released I installed Valorant in my brother's new computer and it fucked up. A perfectly good new computer that has given no other trouble after that. Some motherboard stuff stopped working and we had to manually reset the board and format and reinstall everything. He was not happy.
This - I got it working eventually, but vanguard does NOT play well with drivers that aren't signed or personally proven to be safe by riot themselves.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I have Vanguard setup on my main PC but I can't actually play Valorant as my main PC's motherboard encounters a similar issue to the tweet in the OP when TPM AND Secure Boot are enabled. In looking into it for my specific motherboard, I learned it's very common. I have to play Valorant on my older gaming laptop(and now League as well) now. It's very annoying, but I blame my old Gigabyte motherboard. It provides options that when used render my GPU useless and I need to plug into the onboard displayport and revert the change(or pop the battery but for me that involves removing my GPU so I'd rather not).

Won't have the issue when I eventually upgrade this rig.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Depends what you call software issues. Windows 10 is being discontinued, pushing users to upgrade to Windows 11. Many older computers that play LoL do not have TPM, so they need to bypass it to install W11. If you then install Vanguard, your computer is fucked and will not boot.

Then it's just breaking when installed alongside MSI Afterburner, which is an extremely common performance tool and blue screens when used alongside Elgato.

There is absolutely no reason why this is running at startup and not when you run the game like EAC. It's just invasive and shouldn't be happening. I hope (but doubt) Riot starts seeing a lower playerbase because of it.

I have Vanguard setup on my main PC but I can't actually play Valorant as my main PC's motherboard encounters a similar issue to the tweet in the OP when TPM AND Secure Boot are enabled. In looking into it for my specific motherboard, I learned it's very common. I have to play Valorant on my older gaming laptop(and now League as well) now. It's very annoying, but I blame my old Gigabyte motherboard. It provides options that when used render my GPU useless and I need to plug into the onboard displayport and revert the change(or pop the battery but for me that involves removing my GPU so I'd rather not).

Until you get hardware or software that just doesn't play nice, and then you're back in the same boat!

They're saying LoL doesn't require SecureBoot because of those issues with older hardware.... So why does it require TPM on one OS then I'll never know.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
There is absolutely no reason why this is running at startup and not when you run the game like EAC. It's just invasive and shouldn't be happening.
Well that's Kernel-level anti-cheat for you.
It has to start as early as possible in order to monitor everything running on your PC. If it did not, it would be much easier to bypass.
Please keep in mind that this is only an explanation - not a defense. I don't think they should be used.

On the one-hand: how the hell are you not running a UEFI install of Windows in 2024?
That's been a thing since Vista in 2006.
Legacy BIOS mode (CSM) is for running Windows XP and earlier.

On the other: it's a major fuckup to have the anti-cheat not account for this and brick systems in this way.
It is possible to convert an MBR install of Windows to GPT; but I don't know if it would be possible in this "bricked" state - and likely not without already having the Windows installer on a USB drive.
I expect a lot of people are going to end up wiping their system over this, without figuring things out.

As for the TPM requirements… that's complicated.
If you're running Windows 11, your system should have TPM support.

But many people have been bypassing that to install it on older computers.
I've also seen a lot of people with computers that should support TPM bypassing it either because they think that is easier than flipping a UEFI setting (I don't get it) or are somehow outraged about the idea of enabling a security feature on their PC.

At the very least, this should have been accounted for, and the failure state should not be "brick the PC."

You may have to update the firmware on your GPU (and update the UEFI if anything newer is available).
It sounds like you might also be running a Legacy BIOS (MBR) install of Windows rather than UEFI (GPT).

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
100% agree that Riot should have had a fail safe to prevent this, but at the same time, if people are going to bypass all the security and/or system requirements to install Windows and then be upset that something breaks, because it relies on the features they bypassed, that's on them.

OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
100% agree that Riot should have had a fail safe to prevent this, but at the same time, if people are going to bypass all the security and/or system requirements to install Windows and then be upset that something breaks, because it relies on the features they bypassed, that's on them.

It isn't just TPM that is causing issues. Vanguard can even flag your System32 folder as threat, block programs you use to control your PCs cooling or audio or... etc.

Siden

Apr 27, 2023
I'm never putting games with this garbage on my PC.

I would honestly rather drown in cheaters than have this malware on my PC.

As a warzone player I welcome these types of anti cheats. Cheaters are everywhere and honestly sometimes I wonder if these "this anti cheat bricked my pc" is just a bunch of cheaters making stuff up to rally people against them. But who knows, I suppose it's possible. It just sucks because how else do you combat them? What do you do when none of the multiplayer games now feel genuine? Whole situation sucks

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It isn't just TPM that is causing issues. Vanguard can even flag your System32 folder as threat, block programs you use to control your PCs cooling or audio or... etc.
A lot of those programs are either malware/cheat vectors or drivers that do not pass modern security standards.
Systems with them installed are probably not running with core isolation or memory protection enabled.
But again: the failure state should not be to brick the system.

As a warzone player I welcome these types of anti cheats. Cheaters are everywhere and honestly sometimes I wonder if these "this anti cheat bricked my pc" is just a bunch of cheaters making stuff up to rally people against them. But who knows, I suppose it's possible. It just sucks because how else do you combat them? What do you do when none of the multiplayer games now feel genuine? Whole situation sucks
People are clearly not making things up.
And kernel-level anti-cheat has yet to be proven effective as far as I am aware. Despite the massive invasion of privacy it brings.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get it. Why is it not possible to start the Software when the Game starts? Why does it need to run in the background when the game is off?

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
Or they should have never bothered with this garbage anti-cheat for their moba.
They have so much data and still manage to fuck it up.

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
Yea, that's what we need smart cheaters that can bypass kernel rings and access your pc without you even running the game

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
The tweet that's talking about System32 clearly shows an error message only relating to one driver file, which for all we know could have been infected. Like the error message doesn't even say people should delete that file, how has the tweet and article managed to misinterpret it that badly.

Also, as posted by Paragon right above me, the person with bricked PC bypassed UEFI requirement to install Windows 11.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
The tweet that's talking about System32 clearly shows an error message only relating to one driver file, which for all we know could have been infected. Like the error message doesn't even say people should delete that file, how has the tweet and article managed to misinterpret it that badly.

Also, as posted by Paragon right above me, the person with bricked PC bypassed UEFI requirement to install Windows 11.

That makes the anti-cheat briking the Computer OK?

It's one thing if you just couldn't run league, but Riot clearly fucked up here

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
That makes the anti-cheat briking the Computer OK?

It's one thing if you just couldn't run league, but Root clearly fucked up here
No. I already said Riot should have had a fail safe so it doesn't happen, but the user is also partly to blame.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Dunno I don't have any issues. Play both valorant and league with no issues...I have more issues with battle.net and steam. Nothing annoying though.

Yet in Discord the other day specifically for myself called out this shit while your boy for valorant was in the channel.

Literally this program was fucking with my input files and dac.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it. Why is it not possible to start the Software when the Game starts? Why does it need to run in the background when the game is off?
Simplified explanation:
Processes can only interact with software on their security level or lower.
Say your anti-cheat is running in user-mode, a cheat running as admin could be in play and "invisible" to the user-mode software.

So Kernel-level anti-cheat tries to run using the highest security privileges, and as early as it possibly can - to try and avoid a cheat being run before it does.
Which also means it can see/interact with everything running on your computer, and it's difficult to verify what it's actually doing.
That's why many call kernel-level anti-cheat a spyware/malware of its own.

And the irony is that since the anti-cheat is now running at kernel-level, that's another potential vector for malware to get onto your system, if it's not written to sufficiently high standards.
That's one of the reasons Microsoft had to disable SafeDisc and older versions of SecuROM DRM from running on Windows 10 - they were being used as malware vectors. It's actually safer to crack the games than run that DRM now.

Despite all the restrictions it tries to place, cheaters still figure out ways to bypass kernel-level anti-cheat.
As I understand it, a lot of those cheats are not even running on the same system anyway.

Last edited:

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Simplified explanation:
Processes can only interact with software on their security level or lower.
Say your anti-cheat is running in user-mode, a cheat running as admin could be in play and "invisible" to the user-mode software.

So Kernel-level anti-cheat tries to run using the highest security privileges, and as early as it possibly can - to try and avoid a cheat being run before it does.
Which also means it can see/interact with everything running on your computer, and it's difficult to verify what it's actually doing.
That's why many call kernel-level anti-cheat a spyware/malware of its own.

And the irony is that since the anti-cheat is now running at kernel-level, that's another potential vector for malware to get onto your system, if it's not written to sufficiently high standards.
That's one of the reasons Microsoft had to disable SafeDisc and older versions of SecuROM DRM from running on Windows 10 - they were being used as malware vectors. It's actually safer to crack the games than run that DRM now.

Despite all the restrictions it tries to place, cheaters still figure out ways to bypass kernel-level anti-cheat.
As I understand it, a lot of those cheats are not even running on the same system anyway.

Thanks for the explanation!

OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Because they are a garbage dump of low level access drivers full with security vulnerabilities that cheating solutions use to inject and hide themselves in.

True, but who says there kernel level AC's also doesn't expose systems for vulnerabilities? Other than "trust me, bro" from Riot / EA / Activision... engineer?

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
Kernel level anti-cheat software really should be an OS feature, and not something that game companies can just decide to implement into their games.

Scratches

Oct 25, 2017
A kernel-level software that has to run 24/7 in order to play a game? Nah, I'm good. I just uninstalled League of Legends and everything related to Riot.

It's not just a decision made from an ethical standpoint either. The League of Legends client is a bug-ridden mess that's getting worse every year:
A list of the current issues of the League client - Summer 2020 edition, in 25 pages | Reddit
A bunch of issues appeared at the start of January, I was expecting them to be gone soon since they had just appeared and had worked fine the whole time before, yet most of them are still here today – seven months later. [...] Those aren't the standards that we should be made to have. The client is supposed to receive improvements, not to worsen over time, without the issues ever being fixed for the most part.
State of the League Client | Reddit
How is that every patch the client gets buggier and more unreliable? The state of the client is miserable and i dont want to imagine how it will be in the future. Every day its a gamble if you can get into a game or if you are allowed to ban a champ in champ select. Riot should really start fixing the client. I havent seen any improvement in the stability in the last 3 years or so.

They can't maintain their own launcher but I have to trust them with complete access to my system? Sure.

Their former anti-cheat software was compromised last year too: Riot Games refuses to pay ransom to avoid League of Legends leak | Malwarebytes Labs
Last week, Riot Games revealed in a series of tweets that it had been compromised via a "social engineering attack". The attackers siphoned out code for the company's flagship games, League of Legends, Teamfight Tactics, and Pacman, its anti-cheat software for Valorant and League of Legends.

Wild Card

Oct 26, 2017
The idea that any game is important enough to demand putting this kind of spyware into your PC just to play is frankly ridiculous

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Fully uninstalled LoL when they announced Vanguard to be coming. I do not trust Riot Games to make an always-on kernel-level spyware that you can actually trust.

Vanguard isn't just random software. It's always on kernel-level anticheat, by Riot Games of all companies.

It's like letting an intern ride in your car's hood and tinker with your engine it while you're driving down the freeway, and then saying it's gotta be the driver's fault when the intern fucks up your engine.

People don't bank while they play League. How else is your banking information supposed to leak when this inevitably becomes a malware vector? Of course it needs to be always-on!

Last edited:

Megustaelmate

Sep 4, 2022
Lol this is why dota 2 is king for me. Only issues there is the dcing and lag. Never once in 10k hrs did i find a cheater. I always had issues with valorant running, everything on my pc stopped working. Uninstalled and never looked back

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Always tend to install LoL once in 4/5 months just to play some arams and stuff, before uninstalling it 2 weeks later and repeat the cycle.

But shit like this will definitely help me getting over it completely instead.

That's what I do too lol, get my ARAM fix then not touch it for months. Uninstalling for good now though, if my laptop bricked over a stupid game I would be so furious

PettySpirit

Dec 23, 2018
Don't play League or Valorant, so I have no horse in this race. But I intend to play 2XKO, so this, uhhh, worries me.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
I used to casually play TFT, but uninstalled immediately after this shit popped up. Not interested in having to juggle permanent background tasks that require me to fucking restart my PC if I close out of it if I wanna play a game later in the day.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I don't love this but I also haven't had any issues and League is my go-to MP game, so it's whatever to me.

My main beef with Riot is the godawful client they've been putting lipstick on for the last 10 years. I don't blame their client devs, they're clearly just not getting the resources they need. It's gotta be the most popular buggy game software I've ever seen.

Dealan

The King of Games
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't played league in years but I played quite a lot back in the day and not once did I suspect someone of cheating. (Highest rank was D2, I think that was back before master was introduced.) I'm sure there was some that I didn't notice but I just have a hard time believing that there's enough cheating going on to justify kernel-level software. Is it actually that bad?

I'd find it more reasonable if Vanguard was only required in order to play on master/challenger ranks, so that 90% of the playerbase doesn't have to bother with it.

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
I'll probably skip 2xko if it has this. Cheating usually isn't a big issue in fighting games and I rather just have to report and block players I think are cheating, even in sf6 where there are confirmed cheaters I'd rather just block them if I notice anything strange

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Why is Riot putting this shit in a decade old game?

Because some game modes are infested with bots leveling up accounts to sell. It allows people to be toxic and throw games, get banned, then buy another level 30 account for a few dollars and do it again. The hope is the anti-cheat can detect the botting software.

Riot also claims the game has a lot of scripters, but I've personally never been affected by this.

People are clearly not making things up.
And kernel-level anti-cheat has yet to be proven effective as far as I am aware. Despite the massive invasion of privacy it brings.

Eh, I disagree. I hate to defend Riot since they can't even make the League client run well, but Valorant has the least amount of cheaters I've ever seen in a multiplayer game. Meanwhile Counter-Strike 2 has the most, and there's no shortage of clips of lobbies with 4+ cheaters, and their shit anti-cheat just doesn't work.

ozumas

Born to be Wise and Corrupted by Vengeance
Dec 15, 2020
is the game still supported on mac with vanguard?
www.leagueoflegends.com

/dev: Vanguard x LoL

Riot’s Vanguard comes to League.

Q: What about OSX?

There isn't yet as much tooling on OSX for script development, although the "need" is growing. For now, Mac won't have Vanguard, but we've still got a few bullets in the chamber for when cheaters inevitably try to exploit this. It has since been pointed out to me that each chamber can hold only one bullet. I reject this hypothesis on the basis of improved throughput. Why shouldn't we fire two bullets at once? 2x the damage with the same amount of reloads. Wake up gunsmiths.

Jun 19, 2020
Well my TPM chip is broken after my old graphics card was destroyed by running stable diffusion (AI model for picture generation) on my 2060 RTX. It only works sometimes when it feels like it. If this becomes a common practice I need a new mainboard / CPU. I'm pretty sure my PC would also be unbootable if I would install that.