Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I'm devastated. Gazunta was a prolific AusGaf member back in the old place who didn't make the jump over here but was still active online. His wife has written about his passing on facebook and Chris Kohler has also posted about it, so I'm taking it as confirmation.

View: https://x.com/ResetC64/status/1791602837543371252

View: https://x.com/kobunheat/status/1791523225345888710

Gaz wrote for a number of places including Gamespot and was the contributing editor for Official Xbox Magazine in Australia for a few years before jumping ship to the gamedev side where he worked on the Ty the Tasmanian Tiger series and Spyro Games at Krome Studios. He also wrote and drew a webcomic, Rose and Dahlia, although I always remembered his Brenden Brewer Game Reviewer comics and Presidog more.

Rest in peace mate.

/edit a user has reminded me his other site Blow the Cartridge is also in the Wayback Machine. Worth revisiting. Vale, Gaz.

Last edited:

bloodyroarx

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I seen this and didn't realize until a couple hours later it was Gazunta. Always a great contribution to discussion and a valuable insight into the Australian side of the industry

RIP man :(

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Man he just commented on my Facebook like 2 months ago.... when I woke up and this was the first thing I saw, not how I wanted to start my weekend. I will miss you Gazza

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Thanks for posting this here, Jintor.
He was a friend in real life, he brought me to the old place and then here. If you don't mind, I'd like to talk about my recollections of Cam for a bit as a way to unpack his passing.

He loved comics and old games, particularly if they were on Commodore 64. I think he ended up with 5 of them at one time. And he loved Street Fighter 2, where at one point he had bought more than 10 versions. We counted them at one point. He loved to tell a story of how he was almost killed trying to buy a copy of a game (I think it was a home version of SF or SF2). He was also a huge fan of Jeff Minter's games. Whereas others just saw a headache simulator, Cam was in love with the craziness.
He was a games journalist before I knew him and apparently at onetime Atari tried to get him fired from a magazine gig after a bad review of something. He had a story about waiting in line for a taxi at E3 and Peter Molyneux just cut in front and took the cab "I got this one, alright lads."

We worked together on games for about 6-7 years so I can't speak too much about his journo days or his later side hustle of comics (which he loved).
He designed Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 2 for the GBA, then was the Lead Designer on the Legend of Spyro, where he had to deal with publisher Vivendi's mandate to make it less a platformer and more like Lord of the Rings. Cam's way of explaining the game, "It was just like Final Fight."
He was Lead Designer on Viva Pinata Party Animals, which was a fun project to work on, Legend of the Guardian's The Owls of Ga'hoole: The Game (which was based on the movie directed by Zack Snyder based on the Guardians of Ga'hoole books. No, me neither). No prizes for guessing he would sell that as Ace Combat. He moved over to PR for a bit then back to design with some work on Microsoft Game Room and then Happy Feet 2. That's were we stopped working together and were just mates. He went off and worked for a local distributor of games, then several years at a digital agency before a short lived web3 game dev (often, you go were the work is). He had just started a new gamedev job only a few months ago and he seemed happy enough.

Just as I'm typing this, so many various memories come flooding back.

At one E3, he managed to use his contacts to get us in to see Nintendo Wii stand (which, its funny to think about now, had a massive live to get into see and we were just waived inside). I have a photo somewhere were Peter Molyneux is having the wii demoed to him and Cam is photomombing him while playfully shaking his fist. We mucked around with a podcast for a few years before people knew what to do with them. He also wanted to do let's plays years before that became a massive thing. When we'd head off for lunch, he'd be impatient crossing the road and it was like watching 3D Frogger. He was obsessed with the show House for a while (which dates this of course). He was one of the few people I was close to but never had an argument with. He was generally an easy person to be around. He really opened up when he bumped into his friends from games journalism. He loved GDC and E3 and would try and visit the hotel figeroa to hang out with his pals.

We'd kept in touch but only saw each other occasionally after I moved overseas for a while. I last saw him when we had lunch in 2020. He just seemed really happy making his comics, particularly Rose. I regret not trying to pin him down for lunches more often but he just really wanted to spend every spare moment working on his comics, or evangelising the making of comics, teaching people about making comics. Games? Pfft! But he never really moved far from games professionally and always came back. I don't know why he didn't post more over here, I think he'd just had it with gamesby the point since he just liked 80s and 90s games. He was terribly upset by what he saw during Gamer Gate (friends of his harrassed and the general petty shittiness of the whole thing) so maybe that had something to do with it. He wasn't interested in CoD or Souls or Mass Effect, but I remember he was big on Football games and played a fair bit of FIFA. Though he'd probably stop that and go back to Sensible Soccer or Street Fighter 2. As well as his obsession with Jeff Minter's games, he also loved Sid Meier games and was really into Civilisation. Cam, if I've left anything out, tell me.

edit: Archie. He loved Archie comics.

Also, he had a continuing issue with getting gmails meant for some other Cameron Davis. I had hoped it was the other Cam, but no, it was our Cam.

He really was a legend. RIP Cameron. Condolences to Sabrina and his family.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
VIC, AUSTRALIA
Damn it this sucks so much, RIP Gaz.
Thanks for always giving up time to chat with us.
I wish I knew where I put my copies of Super Blow the Cartridge right about now.
Massive loss for the QLD industry, especially those working in comics. You had so much knowledge to share and were always quick to do so.

I'll always hate Atari in memory of you.

Rezbit

Oct 26, 2017
Just such awful news. He had the best energy and the Atari rants were legendary.

RIP Gaz.

senatom

Oct 25, 2017
Just awful news. I am going to miss our talks about the early Brisbane gaming scene and retro gaming. Alwas a positive force, and happy to offer advice from his decades of experience. An absolute legend, you will be very missed pal, RIP :(

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck me. I never personally met or engaged with Gaz outside of social media and forums, but the name and face are instantly recognisable as a staple of the AusGAF community.

Enk

Oct 27, 2017
I don't post much online these days, but back on the GAF I had a long, ongoing Commodore 64 thread Gaz regularly frequented. I followed him on Twitter and enjoyed seeing his posts and comics there over the years. He always seemed like a genuine guy with a big love for the C64 era, one that many missed out on and sadly just lost one of its biggest fans. You will be definitely be missed, Cameron. Wish you pleasant journeys. Rest in peace.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Aw no :( Yeah I've followed his work for a good while, I remember his posts on the old place too. RIP fella

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
RIP Cameron. Only the good die young it seems, and by all accounts he seemed like a great fella.

Condolences to all who were fortunate to spend time with him.