• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
With Microsoft confirming that Kinect games will not be backwards compatible on Series X, it seems we have finally seen the end of the peripheral we all knew and loved and hated and didn't love at all. It didn't do most of what we wanted it to and everything took a bit more effort than it really should have. And yet, I still have a soft spot in my heart for it. Please join me in sharing some of your favorite uses for Kinect and Kinect moments. Anything from 1.0 (best selling accessory?!) or 2.0.

I'll share one example from each iteration:

Xbox One - Fru: a puzzle platformer that used your body to affect the game world. It came out long after Kinect had died, but is without a doubt my favorite usage of the technology in a game ever. It was fun by yourself, but it REALLY shined in coop. Yelling at each other to BEND YOUR ARM. NO THE OTHER WAY, while trying to nail the jump through a spiky tendril of horror, was immensely fun and such a unique experience.

Xbox 360 - The best Star Wars game ever made (Kinect Star Wars): Sure, you could say that Kinect Star Wars was a horrible game that never reached the promise of acting out star wars. Registration sucked, it wasn't that creative, everything was clunky BLAH BLAH BLAH. And you wouldn't be WRONG... But then, like.. you'd see this and realize the error of your ways:

Obviously, I'm just referring to the Galactic Dance Off portion of the game, which actually worked and was good lol. These Star Wars themed remixes were like.. pretty decent LOL. Covers of No Doubt and La Roux and quite a bit more.. lol fun times.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
My parents and brother fell for the Kinect meme, I remember telling them they'd use it 5 times and never again. That was exactly what happened.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
source.gif

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I know most people will use this thread to dump on Kinect, but I do think some incredible things came from Kinect outside of gaming. It'd be nice for some of those examples to be posted in this thread.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when I was in college Kinect was kind of a thing that computer science researchers used for various things. I wonder if they're still doing that.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dance Central series was one of the most fun I had with videogames ever

OP
OP
cyrribrae

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I know most people will use this thread to dump on Kinect, but I do think some incredible things came from Kinect outside of gaming. It'd be nice for some of those examples to be posted in this thread.
lol now now, we all know how this thread is gonna go. I tried in the OP. Fru is actually amazing. But yea, the some of the uses with doctors and actually even with Hololens has been pretty impressive, all things considered. Kinect 1.0 + Scratch was one of the coolest ways to get kids into coding - put together some lines of code and then physically control what happens with it in real time. It's almost tactile in a way (and it's no surprise that today a lot of coding for young children and those with disabilities IS literally tactile.)

lol. Hey.. some of those uses KIND OF worked out. Lots of kinects in malls and stuff used for interactive games for kids XD.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
OK, the videos are quite funny. the "Solo, I'm Han Solo" line in the third video made me chuckle 😁

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
The Kinect was awesome damn shame MS didn't push it as far as they could game wise. Good to see it lives on in other crazy stuff though.

Kinect Sport, Dance Central and stuff like fruit ninja were amazing party games. Also the kinect fitness stuff was cool. What was that Ubisoft fitness game?

I do find it funny that people for years expressed dismay about it listening all the time. Then a few years later went out and brought Google and amazons offerings in their millions. Now their entire house is one giant listening post with mics in every room.

MS always seems to be too early to the party Now everyone loves talking to their electronics.

Last edited:

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I remember when they stopped supporting it with their newer SKU's and there was a game at E3 that year that supported it. I don't remember the game however.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
With Microsoft confirming that Kinect games will not be backwards compatible on Series X, it seems we have finally seen the end of the peripheral we all knew and loved and hated and didn't love at all. It didn't do most of what we wanted it to and everything took a bit more effort than it really should have. And yet, I still have a soft spot in my heart for it. Please join me in sharing some of your favorite uses for Kinect and Kinect moments. Anything from 1.0 (best selling accessory?!) or 2.0.

I'll share one example from each iteration:

Xbox One - Fru: a puzzle platformer that used your body to affect the game world. It came out long after Kinect had died, but is without a doubt my favorite usage of the technology in a game ever. It was fun by yourself, but it REALLY shined in coop. Yelling at each other to BEND YOUR ARM. NO THE OTHER WAY, while trying to nail the jump through a spiky tendril of horror, was immensely fun and such a unique experience.

Xbox 360 - The best Star Wars game ever made (Kinect Star Wars): Sure, you could say that Kinect Star Wars was a horrible game that never reached the promise of acting out star wars. Registration sucked, it wasn't that creative, everything was clunky BLAH BLAH BLAH. And you wouldn't be WRONG... But then, like.. you'd see this and realize the error of your ways:

Obviously, I'm just referring to the Galactic Dance Off portion of the game, which actually worked and was good lol. These Star Wars themed remixes were like.. pretty decent LOL. Covers of No Doubt and La Roux and quite a bit more.. lol fun times.

Only the middle video worked for me but you won the internet for today. Well done.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I always wanted to play FRU.
But other than that D4, Child of Eden, the first Kinect game are the only ones I remember fondly.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
While we're on the topic of "gimmicks", I just remembered some weird book thing from a Sony E3 press conference. I think they used Harry Potter to demo it? Did that ever come out?

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
I never enjoyed it that much. The lack of tactile feedback just made everything feel weird and disconnected. And the voice commands were incredibly spotty.

I do have fond memories of watching friends play Dance Central, though.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Kinect still very popular with non-gaming applications? It used to be anyways.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
I always wanted to play FRU.
But other than that D4, Child of Eden, the first Kinect game are the only ones I remember fondly.

I recently played through D4 on PC and while I really enjoyed it, I felt I would have had more fun playing it on Kinect.

I love Rez but have never played Child of Eden as I don't own a 360 or PS3. Would UbiSoft be in charge of republishing that? Would be a good candidate for a VR port like its predecessor.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
That gamespot video was super uncomfortable with them bickering.

But I am dying of laughter of the Kinect Star Wars. The YMCA line "You can hangout with all the droids". Brilliant stuff.

Man Kinect was bad. The reveal was hilarious. Just this over the top reveal with press. And it flopped. Curious what the higher ups thought of Kinect at the time. Not just Mattrick. Balmer was still there right?

OP
OP
cyrribrae

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Is there no way for me to use a Kinect on a One X? There are some experiences I'd now like to have..
You can.. you need a Kinect adapter, which allows it to be used over USB (it's the same as the windows adapter). They discontinued it pretty soon after, though. Very sad. Kinda hard to find a way to play Kinect at all anymore. I don't know if they officially said that even THOSE won't work on Series X, but yea, it may just not support it in the OS at all. Shame..

That gamespot video was super uncomfortable with them bickering.

But I am dying of laughter of the Kinect Star Wars. The YMCA line "You can hangout with all the droids". Brilliant stuff.

Man Kinect was bad. The reveal was hilarious. Just this over the top reveal with press. And it flopped. Curious what the higher ups thought of Kinect at the time. Not just Mattrick. Balmer was still there right?
Oops sorry, noted. I chose a moment further in to show it off. Fru is ACTUALLY good, so I want people to see it haha.