Ltn_Esteves

Feb 4, 2021
Been really enjoying the combat so far in the early game, but just hit the blade twin boss where you have two allies with you and felt like I was having a real bad time.

Coming into this after a Sekiro replay, I was really struggling with reading her attacks to parry them. So many of her attacks came out so fast and the animations were so hard to read that I just ate shit most of the time. Plus I feel like the game isn't good enough at making it clear to the player that their attack turn is over. Sekiro dealt with this via some subtle camera work, audio design, and a giant big FLASH that clearly signified that the opponent had parried you and that you should be ready to defend, as well as cancelling all your attacks and animations leaving you free to react however you felt necessary. This boss especially made it clear to me that Ronin doesn't do nearly as good a job of this as it needs to as a parry-focused game. There were hints at this with other enemies where I thought an opening was there, they poise through my attacks and I dont seem to be able to parry or dodge cancel in time to react. I'm sure other players have the reactions to deal with it without more audio/visual assistance, but this boss made it clear to me that I just don't.

It's enough to make me wonder just how much I'll really keep enjoying the game if it continues to step up like this. I know there are difficulty options, but I'd really rather not drop it as up to now I've been finding the non-boss fights a little too easy already. If I drop it and they are even easier then I'm going to get bored and drop the game anyway.
Redo the misson but without any of the allies (or just remove them at a bonfire). I find that using allies makes the bosses more spongy and the combat arena a mess and makes it harder to focus on the boss.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Sorry for a silly question, but I've been meaning to get to this game after DD2 since I heard it's Nioh + Ass Creed.

One of my absolute favorite things in the recent AC games is stealthily taking out bases and that entire stealth loop of killing, dumping bodies, etc. Is it possible to play this game like that? Or is it intended to play it more like a Nioh? I intend on getting it either way, just curious if stealth is possible to emphasize to the same degree.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for a silly question, but I've been meaning to get to this game after DD2 since I heard it's Nioh + Ass Creed.

One of my absolute favorite things in the recent AC games is stealthily taking out bases and that entire stealth loop of killing, dumping bodies, etc. Is it possible to play this game like that? Or is it intended to play it more like a Nioh? I intend on getting it either way, just curious if stealth is possible to emphasize to the same degree.
I came to this game after DD2 too but I'm not very far, still really early. So far it seems like the stealth is pretty basic; you can definitely stealth kill (normal grunt) enemies and sneak around in tall grass but you're not dumping bodies or anything like that. Stronger enemies you can stealth attack but not kill. There's some skill tree skills and weapons that can aid in stealth, but again it's pretty basic. I've been doing it when I can regardless

Atom

Jul 25, 2021

Not to the same degree as AC but there's quite a bit of stealth.

You've got running/walking/crouching, hiding in grass, sneak up kills, aerial assassinations from jump or mid-flight, grapple hook pull guys up to roof like batman and kill them assassinations, you can avoid most combat encounters in main missions aside from bosses, detective vision that lets you see enemies through walls. When you assassinate one guy dudes nearby freak out and you can chain assassinate them etc. You can also nonlethal all enemies but its mostly a roleplay thing without a ton of gameplay impact.

Stealth is mostly a tool to thin out a crowd before facing down some of the stronger opponents though. You'll sort of oscillate between a light AC-like experience and then some Nioh combat and back.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
I came to this game after DD2 too but I'm not very far, still really early. So far it seems like the stealth is pretty basic; you can definitely stealth kill (normal grunt) enemies and sneak around in tall grass but you're not dumping bodies or anything like that. Stronger enemies you can stealth attack but not kill. There's some skill tree skills and weapons that can aid in stealth, but again it's pretty basic. I've been doing it when I can regardless
Not to the same degree as AC but there's quite a bit of stealth.

You've got running/walking/crouching, hiding in grass, sneak up kills, aerial assassinations from jump or mid-flight, grapple hook pull guys up to roof like batman and kill them assassinations, you can avoid most combat encounters in main missions aside from bosses, detective vision that lets you see enemies through walls. When you assassinate one guy dudes nearby freak out and you can chain assassinate them etc. You can also nonlethal all enemies but its mostly a roleplay thing without a ton of gameplay impact.

Stealth is mostly a tool to thin out a crowd before facing down some of the stronger opponents though. You'll sort of oscillate between a light AC-like experience and then some Nioh combat and back.

Oh okay, thank you for the answers!

Oct 25, 2017
What? Ronin is absolutely AAA
I consider Rebirth "AAA" for all the egregious annoying shit that comes with that moniker. Ronin and it's open world doesn't slap me with a bunch of shit I'm not in the mood to do constantly. I feel like I can just casually take on the open world stuff at my own pace and do story when I feel like it. It just feels more "fun" to me. So I guess while Ronin is a AAA game, it's just not an annoying one to me. Also believe me when I say I don't mean AA in an insulting fashion. I basically fell in love with the game at the character creator and first couple of boss fights.

Aleshin

Mar 26, 2024
As I also wrote in the Tecmo financial results topic, I hope that the game's good result can lead to post-launch support in the form of DLCs or similar. What do you think they could expand with DLCs, maybe even for free? Perhaps they could add some styles for certain weapon categories that have few of them.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
As I also wrote in the Tecmo financial results topic, I hope that the game's good result can lead to post-launch support in the form of DLCs or similar. What do you think they could expand with DLCs, maybe even for free? Perhaps they could add some styles for certain weapon categories that have few of them.
Litter the world with a new kind of collectible, and I'll go collect it lol

Atom

Jul 25, 2021

I want to fight demons
Better gear and set bonuses
Roguelite mode that leverages all the game's mini missions with cool stage and environmental modifiers, more varied optional objectives.
New weapon types
Let the player use a sword and shield, stuff like that.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
I want to fight demons
Better gear and set bonuses
Roguelite mode that leverages all the game's mini missions with cool stage and environmental modifiers, more varied optional objectives.
New weapon types
Let the player use a sword and shield, stuff like that.
Sounds a bit like you want Nioh 3.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
The Kiyomizu-dera stage is the best stage of the game so far. And Takamoro Saigo is such a cool character.

VoidShaman

Jul 11, 2023
I remember when in response to Ghost of Tensions coming out, one Japanese developer said something like: "We should have made that game." Rise of the Ronin feels like that, or close to it, and I am here for that.

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe I'm enjoying Rise of the Ronin so much. Played it from 3AM to 6:30AM (sleep problems) and then came back from work to play two more hours of it. The world is just so much more subtle about how it goes about being an open world game compared to Rebirth and I'm just enjoying the pacing of it. Started messing around with unarmed combat and I'm enjoying this as well. Wish there were more naginata type weapons, but I'm doing fine so far.

Oct 30, 2017
I played and finished every major Soulslike, Wo Long was my GotY last year and man, I found this game so dull I had to quit it after five hours.

I started on Twilight difficulty, since that was recommended. Forget it. The attacks in this are insanely hard to read, every enemy hits like a brick house and your regular attacks don't really do much damage (twelve hits to kill a wolf, really?). Don't even get me started on the special attacks. They range from "okay" to "bland af" and all they really do is leave you wide open for a major ass whoppin since none of these enemies seem to stagger. I lowered the difficulty after the first hour, but it still didn't click. The parrying actually only felt right once I put the difficulty down another notch to "Dawn", but by that time the ship had sailed for me.

This game imo has the worst skill trees in any game I've ever played. After unlocking like six things I struggled almost as much at picking a thing to unlock as I did with the combat.

Mostly I just felt like playing something else instead. Be it Sekiro, Nioh, Ghost or AssCreed Odyssey.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I played and finished every major Soulslike, Wo Long was my GotY last year and man, I found this game so dull I had to quit it after five hours.

I started on Twilight difficulty, since that was recommended. Forget it. The attacks in this are insanely hard to read, every enemy hits like a brick house and your regular attacks don't really do much damage (twelve hits to kill a wolf, really?). Don't even get me started on the special attacks. They range from "okay" to "bland af" and all they really do is leave you wide open for a major ass whoppin since none of these enemies seem to stagger. I lowered the difficulty after the first hour, but it still didn't click. The parrying actually only felt right once I put the difficulty down another notch to "Dawn", but by that time the ship had sailed for me.

This game imo has the worst skill trees in any game I've ever played. After unlocking like six things I struggled almost as much at picking a thing to unlock as did with the enemies.

Mostly I just felt like playing something else instead. Be it Sekiro, Nioh, Ghost or AssCreed Odyssey.

LTL combat guide is a decent overview on how to understand the game's combat systems, how to deal with hyperarmor etc. The first couple hours can feel kinda slow (though even at the very start you can do some cool shit with character switch combos and the grapple hook), but eventually you get so many options to approach combat it should feel very fluid and organic. The game is very forgiving, with enemies for most of the game barely tickle you compared to Nioh or Stranger of Paradise where everything could one shot you, and healing items are aplenty. Parry timing is tough at first because it will depend on your stance and positioning -- you have to make the blades actually clash yourself. Use block to learn timings, and learn what parts of each string you can reliably parry and go for those, focusing on the final hits which can give you a window to get hitstun. For red attacks use the white flash as a basic gauge for timing, though you still need to make the hitboxes connect so it won't be reliable for ranged attacks especially depending on distance.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77t3drwqiF0

Re: the skill tree....idk. There are a ton of gameplay expanding nodes like mid air parries, grapple hook enemy swings, sprinting assassinations, chain assassinations, gun finishers, weapon switch attacks. Then all the buffs and debuffs you can craft, the various sub-weapon perks. Then perks for survivability, more health, or better healing, or stuff that focuses more on controlling other characters. Then just cool stuff like the speech options or the better effects for the panic effect radius on assassination. It's about the same sort of deal as some of the Nioh skill trees, just with some of the really superfluous nodes pruned and a lot of those baked into automatic weapon proficiency tiers instead.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Man I'm cheeks at parrying in this game for whatever reason but I'm still having a great time. I hope this game does well enough to get a sequel with a bit more of a budget

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
In the explanation screen during conversations, there's a sentence which says something about being able to check other players' conversation choices. Does this feature actually exist in the game? I haven't seen anything like that.

Aleshin

Mar 26, 2024
In the explanation screen during conversations, there's a sentence which says something about being able to check other players' conversation choices. Does this feature actually exist in the game? I haven't seen anything like that.

I think it needs to be activated somewhere in the options, although I'm not totally sure. Anyway, I distinctly remember seeing the percentages in some YouTube videos.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I really can't get into the combat in this game, I don't get it. The counterspark system just feels off, I keep switching between this and stellar blade and the latter just feels so much more fluid. I'll give it more time but, it ain't for me so far.

Nov 7, 2017
I really can't get into the combat in this game, I don't get it. The counterspark system just feels off, I keep switching between this and stellar blade and the latter just feels so much more fluid. I'll give it more time but, it ain't for me so far.
I would push on with it, once you figure out the timing for the red attacks and start unlocking better stances (with better parry windows) how to punish them without spamming and doing stance change combos it feels amazing

Atom

Jul 25, 2021

To parry you have to make the counterspark hitbox hit the attack hitbox as far as I can tell, so the parry timing will vary depending on your and your enemy's stance and attack. Some countersparks will move you forward or backward and whatnot and you have to factor that in as well.

But because counterspark comes out immediately, and cancels many animations, you can press it at the last moment before you get hit and you'll tend to be okay. For red unblockable attacks the white flash indicates when the attack is counterspark-able, but you still need to get hitboxes to connect. So if the unblockable attack is ranged, you need to wait for the projectile hitbox or whatever to be in range. Same as when you parry arrows.

A successful counterspark lets you act fast --- this is how you can counterspark several blows in a row, whereas a failed one will have a lot of recovery. Because of this you might want to experiment between blocking and only countersparking the final blow of a combo -- this is what puts the enemy in a panicked state and opens them up easily. If you counterspark more blows though, you'll gain back more stamina and have more to work with to do a combo when the enemy is panicked. Blocking can quickly deplete stamina.

Oct 25, 2017
Once you get more stances in this game the combat opens up nicely. I need to learn how to use the Iai stance. The parry window for that is so effing weird.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
I've just finished thus and had a really good time with it. I don't think it's as good as Nioh 2, but then again not many games are IMO.

One thing though,
I struggle to see the point of the Blade Twin aspect. For me, the game and story wouldn't have really been much different without it. I kept waiting for this big moment but it never arrived.

Cana

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 27, 2021
I've just finished thus and had a really good time with it. I don't think it's as good as Nioh 2, but then again not many games are IMO.

One thing though,
I struggle to see the point of the Blade Twin aspect. For me, the game and story wouldn't have really been much different without it. I kept waiting for this big moment but it never arrived.

Yeah, that aspect couldve been dropped entirely. The historical story was compelling enough imo

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
I'm not really clicking with this game's combat system and I don't know if I'm really enjoying it.

Against smaller mobs it's so easy to steamroll them, but then whenever I'm up against a stronger enemy or the big fat bois it just bogs down to a cycle of missed parries due to hard to read attacks with massively variable attack timings and enemies being able to poise through your offense out of nowhere. I get what they are going for, but I don't think it's something I gel with.

Like I mentioned before in the thread, it seems they are going for a Sekiro-style back and forth of turn-taking, but the readability is just not there for me (personally) to react on the fly when I'm on the offense to parry a response in 0.5 seconds as well as nail the really tight parry timing. It makes the combat feel frustrating and never really fully satisfying me in a way that I feel it should.

I think it's a good combat system design-wise, but not really for me. I preferred Nioh's a lot more, and probably even Wo Long's. I will say though, it's still probably the best melee combat I've experienced in an open-world game.

Last edited:

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017
About 33 hours in and in the middle of chapter 2 and I'm generally loving this game but it's a shame that unlocks seem so frontloaded.
Whenever I fight a boss with a cool moveset I'm like "oh I hope I can unlock that style" and I end up disappointed for the last 10 hours :(

Zep

Jul 12, 2021
About 33 hours in and in the middle of chapter 2 and I'm generally loving this game but it's a shame that unlocks seem so frontloaded.
Whenever I fight a boss with a cool moveset I'm like "oh I hope I can unlock that style" and I end up disappointed for the last 10 hours :(
They're on the way. Make sure you're doing side quests too.

Nov 7, 2017
I started a few midnight missions and it said in the rewards a masterwork katana but ended up getting a gold saber, are these missions rng? Or do you only get the shown awards by doing something specific?

Oct 25, 2017
Game thinks it's cute and threw a double boss fight at me. Yeah I'm handling this when I have time to die repeatedly not while I'm cooking dinner LOL

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
the cut scene in this game is real time, why can't they make the in game graphics just as good....

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
the cut scene in this game is real time, why can't they make the in game graphics just as good....

Have you been to a city yet? The engine can't even hit a steady 60fps in Performance Mode. It needs a lot of optimization. Still though, out in the countryside I think it looks quite beautiful at times, in large part due to the art direction.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Game thinks it's cute and threw a double boss fight at me. Yeah I'm handling this when I have time to die repeatedly not while I'm cooking dinner LOL

I just got to that point. Was beginning to feel a little bored of the game, and throwing a second boss at me halfway through the one I was already feeling like I was struggling with was a good excuse to stop and delete the game.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Have you been to a city yet? The engine can't even hit a steady 60fps in Performance Mode. It needs a lot of optimization. Still though, out in the countryside I think it looks quite beautiful at times, in large part due to the art direction.

I know, there is also a reason why they capped all of their cut scene at 30fps, same with nioh and every other games. Thought they would have optimized their engine enough to use the same post processing in game by now, Their cut scene graphics and art direction been fantastic since Nioh 1.

Stainless

Feb 26, 2018
Nashville,TN
Bought this yesterday but haven't gotten into it yet since I just finished fallout 3 and needed a bit of a break. Looking forward to getting started this afternoon

Poigea

Oct 27, 2017
Got the game over the weekend and have played about 8 hours. Combat seemed a little awkward at first, but am able to successfully parry more and more and that makes a huge difference. Mix that with the side mission/collectables just being fun and I am over levelled, but makes the combat even more enjoyable.

Aleshin

Mar 26, 2024
It's almost two months since the launch, and there hasn't been any news from Team Ninja about potential DLCs or anything similar. Even on the patch side, everything seems to be at a standstill. I hope they can announce something soon in this regard. Meanwhile, in my game, I'm almost at 100 hours of playtime, and the fun of the combat system still isn't fading. It's fantastic.

doops.

Jun 3, 2020
There a consensus yet on the best graphics mode? I'm hearing Ray Tracing with frame limit off as the best by some.

Nov 7, 2017
It's almost two months since the launch, and there hasn't been any news from Team Ninja about potential DLCs or anything similar. Even on the patch side, everything seems to be at a standstill. I hope they can announce something soon in this regard. Meanwhile, in my game, I'm almost at 100 hours of playtime, and the fun of the combat system still isn't fading. It's fantastic.
Same, I'm just wandering around MIdnight mode, fighting outposts with bosses is genius always makes me want to get better