Feb 15, 2019
Hmm, I really want to be excited for this, but it just doesn't really impress me.

The worst part (though this is just my assumption for now) is it'll probably be lacking my favourite thing about Nioh which was the meaty endgame and build variety as this is an open world game and will therefore probably focus more on the open world part and story at the cost of endgame and more combat options like a vast amount of builds.

It launching on the same day as DD2 really doesn't do it any favours either.

Shame because instead of a must buy it'll likely be a wait and see until people get their hands on it.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Seems more grounded without monsters & Oni from their other games but I am in. I didn't play Wu Long after reading about it being not up to their standards so hopefully this is more of a hit.

Yeah I am currently playing Wo Long and nearing the end, can agree that it's sub par compared to Nioh/2. There were only two bosses that required more than a couple of tries so far. Maybe it's more fun with a magic build but have just been parrying most things with dual swords and water. Itemization is also kinda wierd. It's streamlined compared to Nioh but as a consequence made 99.9% of the gear drops useless within a mission.

RPG

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Digital preorder went up on PSN:

Pre-order to receive:

• Early access to four Combat Styles, including:
o Hayabusa-ryu for Katana.
o Hayabusa-ryu for Naginata.
o Nioh-ryu for Katana.
o Aisu Kage-ryu for Katana.
• Early access to Iga Ninja's Katana.
• Early access to Iga Ninja's Armour set.

Deluxe Edition includes:
Rise of the Ronin™ full game for PS5®.

Exclusive in-game items, including:
Iga Ninja's Staff.
Toyokuni Paired Swords.
Bando Warrior Armor set.
Japanese Formal Wear set.
Digital art book.
Digital soundtrack.

Nathan

Oct 27, 2017
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-PPSA04539_00-RONINFULLGAME001

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-PPSA04539_00-RONINDDELUXE0001

Sooo... The descriptors for the game include "PS Plus required for online play", "Supports up to 3 online players with PS Plus", "Online play optional", and under the ESRB descriptors "Users Interact". I don't think there's been any official confirmation or even announcement of any online multiplayer features in this game, but if it has Nioh-style multiplayer/co-op then I'm going to be so happy. Nioh 1+2 co-op multiplayer is my favorite Souls-like/ARPG multiplayer ever.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
No reason to preorder thank god.

Multiplayer would be cool, hopefully they manage to have an endgame progression/subsequent difficulties even with this more action adventure open world style.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Pre-ordered my physical copy, can't wait. Sounds like the Hayabusa style is going to be based on Ninja Gaiden, which sounds amazing. I hope we get more Ninja Gaiden content, like the skins and stuff (like Doppleganger Ryu, Hotsuma Ryu, etc...).

Dsezer

Sep 22, 2020
Looks sick. Gonna pray that rumor that it has difficulty settings is real, and not some Nioh shit.
Lol, Nioh was ridiculously difficult but man once you master it, no action game can compare! Nioh 2, my buddy I co-oped the entire campaign and I have to say, to this day - one of my best co-op experiences (Borderlands 3 being better)

Zep

Jul 12, 2021
Having Nioh style gameplay with Co-op in an open world like this sounds kinda fire…
I hope it ends up being true.

AEF1907

Fallen Guardian Corrupted by Vengeance
Dec 18, 2021
We're are probably getting a State of Play for it soon (probably January), that should answer a lot of questions.

This game will be something special.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Japan, 1863.
After three centuries of the Tokugawa Shogunate's oppressive rule, the Black Ships of the West descend upon the nation's borders and the country falls into a state of turmoil. Amidst the chaos of war, disease and political unrest, a nameless warrior forges their own path, holding the very fate of Japan in their hands.

Shape a dynamic story
As a masterless warrior – a Ronin, your destiny is your own. See the story unfold in different ways depending on the choices you make and the characters you ally with along the way. Face critical mission decisions – like whether to assassinate or protect key figures, and shape the course of history through a rich multi-choice system.

Engage in deep accessible combat
From the veteran developers of Nioh and Ninja Gaiden – Rise of the Ronin offers deeply engaging yet accessible combat, with layers of complexity suitable for any playstyle. Face your foes with a selection of close-quarters weaponry or engage from afar with authentic period firearms.

Explore a historically-inspired world
The "Bakumatsu" period heralds the end of the Shogunate as a new era begins and East and West collide. Experience this cultural revolution across an open world where you'll meet the key figures who'll shape the course of history, and the ordinary citizens seeking a guiding light in the darkness.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
Been saving my PS rewards points for this to go up for pre-order. Game's gonna be a highlight of the generation for me, I just got that kinda feeling.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
First few months of next year are stacked.

Very interested in what the accessible combat means. I see the pre-order list has unlocks for two character names. Are you playing as multiple characters or do you pick a character?

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
The PSN description sounds promising, looking forward to a demo. (they did demos for their previous games so I'm kind of expecting one).

penguinecon

alt account
Banned
Nov 12, 2023
I don't think my laptop could play this at a solid 60fps anyway but it sucks its not coming to pc day one. I don't know why Koei Tecmo needed Sony's help on this. They're a major publisher in their own right.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
It didn't grab me like I thought it would. This trailer in particular was not a good one but I feel like I can't judge it by that. I'll wait until there's more shown because they are definitely holding things back.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I don't think my laptop could play this at a solid 60fps anyway but it sucks its not coming to pc day one. I don't know why Koei Tecmo needed Sony's help on this. They're a major publisher in their own right.
When compared to Nioh, wasn't Rise of The Ronin trademarked by SIE? Which would mean that SIE is the one funding the development of the game.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022

PlayStation Studios are publishing the game. Logo on the box.

7CwiJsGoFCG6aqqcDOMw3dBlB2SGw60rYqV0IksX.webp

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Right but why is SIE publishing this and not KT?
Money and marketing. A lot of companies (especially smaller publishers like KT) prefer to hand marketing to publishers who are better capable. First party publisher in particular tend to be amazing at marketing. See Nintendo Marketing DQXI vs Square doing it.

chijiokay

Aug 11, 2022
I'm kind of taken aback by the "whelmed" response? I think it looks great. Would've been a day 1 but another big game is launching that day...

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
I'm kind of taken aback by the "whelmed" response? I think it looks great. Would've been a day 1 but another big game is launching that day...
Not gonna lie, I kinda "get it" with this last trailer. It's not as visually striking as some of its contemporaries, which doesn't help when the trailer didn't show all that much to begin with, and the games also releasing on the exact same day as Dragon's Dogma 2. Despite the fact that I'm gonna absolutely sink hundreds of hours into this, this trailer doesn't feel like it was for anyone unfortunately. Existing Team Ninja fans know what they're getting into for the most part, and new viewers didn't have anything here to catch their attention outside of maybe it being a samurai open world game like Tsushima. Honestly hoping that the next showing sells it better, cause I'm sure this game is gonna be some super hot fire type shit that people shouldn't sleep on.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies, I haven't seen much of this outside of the initial trailer. This is essentially a Nioh/Wo Long game from a gameplay perspective, right?

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Apologies, I haven't seen much of this outside of the initial trailer. This is essentially a Nioh/Wo Long game from a gameplay perspective, right?

Nobody really knows. It's open world with a glider and character switching which is all very different but the degree of similarity in other elements is up in the air. Heck Wo Long and Nioh aren't really that similar.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
Tough to say as of now. Undoubtedly action oriented and open world, but gameplay systems and mechanics really haven't been shown extensively just yet. Hopefully, they'll have a state of play dedicated to showing the game's systems and mechanics like they did for FFXVI down the line, or even just some previews from people who've played the game soon!

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Right but why is SIE publishing this and not KT?
Because this time, SIE are the ones who commissioned them to make a game. They are not just publishing. They are fully funding both the development and marketing of this game in the same way as they did with the games they made with From Software (aka Demon's Souls and Bloodborne). Which means that Team Ninja is working SIE's XDev team as well for support. Also, Rise of the Ronin is a Sony IP, not Nioh. That's the difference.

penguinecon

alt account
Banned
Nov 12, 2023
Because this time, SIE are the ones who commissioned them to make a game. They are not just publishing. They are fully funding both the development and marketing of this game in the same way as they did with the games they made with From Software (aka Demon's Souls and Bloodborne). Which means that Team Ninja is working SIE's XDev team as well for support. Also, Rise of the Ronin is a Sony IP, not Nioh. That's the difference.

I wish Sony would invest in establishing an in-house Japanese studio to make games like this instead of hiring Team Ninja to do it. Same with From Software too tbh. Though I know that will be unpopular because everyone worships Bloodborne.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
it's weird that they've opened pre-orders, but haven't shown/explain what kind of game is this. if there is a Ni Oh-like structure, I would like to know about it before the pre-order. i hope it's a classic open world action game like GoT.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
it's weird that they've opened pre-orders, but haven't shown/explain what kind of game is this. if there is a Ni Oh-like structure, I would like to know about it before the pre-order. i hope it's a classic open world action game like GoT.

It's an open-world game

Is Rise of the Ronin open world?
Yes. Rise of the Ronin is an open-world action-adventure game developed by Team NINJA from Koei Tecmo Games. Delve into the historical period of late 19th century Japan, a time marked by profound conflicts and upheavals. You will incarnate a Ronin, a masterless samurai as you fight to shape history.

www.playstation.com

Rise of the Ronin - PS5 Games | PlayStation

Amidst the chaos of a country divided, a masterless samurai must step forth and shape the course of history. Buy Rise of the Ronin for PS5.

May 23, 2020
I really want there to be a mid game twist where everyone gains supernatural powers. Would really help with the variety. Team Ninja is exceptional and I am there Day 1 but Nioh 2 is the only game in their last three entries where variety was enough. Being open world doesnt help either. But I am definitely excited.

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
Confirmed the game is an open world Souls-like from Game Informer preview, still hard difficulty/lose XP etc... on death:

"Team Ninja states Rise of the Rōnin's combat revolves around studying and learning enemy patterns gleaned after repeated failures, suggesting it will be as challenging as the games preceding it. When I asked if it still punishes death in the same Soulslike fashion, where players must retrieve fallen experience points, and how the more realistic story would justify this, Yasuda confirmed it does and involves a progression resource called Karma. It's an apt name; the developers say the word symbolizes the destiny people carry from one life into the next. However, Yasuda clarifies that Karma only represents one system. There is another, more traditional type of XP that players retain after death. "You can look forward to the details of this in the future," Yasuda says. "

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Confirmed the game is an open world Souls-like from Game Informer preview, still hard difficulty/lose XP etc... on death:

"Team Ninja states Rise of the Rōnin's combat revolves around studying and learning enemy patterns gleaned after repeated failures, suggesting it will be as challenging as the games preceding it. When I asked if it still punishes death in the same Soulslike fashion, where players must retrieve fallen experience points, and how the more realistic story would justify this, Yasuda confirmed it does and involves a progression resource called Karma. It's an apt name; the developers say the word symbolizes the destiny people carry from one life into the next. However, Yasuda clarifies that Karma only represents one system. There is another, more traditional type of XP that players retain after death. "You can look forward to the details of this in the future," Yasuda says. "
Dang, doesn't sound like the game will be for me then, damn. I guess that rumor about the game having difficulty settings wasn't accurate.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
famitsu interview
https://www.famitsu.com/news/202312/19328207.html
some interesting things I saw

-the project started after Nioh 1
-the game has 3 big cities: Yokohama, Edo (Tokyo), and Kyoto.
-the size of the 3 cities combined is about 27 square km.
-MC is part of "hidden sword(blade)" team which consists of a pair. You can see the pair in the latest trailer.
-Both pair MCs are made with character creator.
-No real fantasy elements like yokai and so forth. It's more grounded reality.
-there is a set main story, but also by bonding with various characters you open up new story elements. Lots of freedom on how you play with this.
-the action will probably feel similar to Nioh 1 in a sense it's more grounded.
-no plans for beta test/demo like Nioh at this moment since it's more story driven game.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Dang, doesn't sound like the game will be for me then, damn. I guess that rumor about the game having difficulty settings wasn't accurate.
3 difficulty modes :)
Unlike their previous productions (Nioh, Ninja Gaiden, etc.), Rise of the Ronin wants to please fans of Elden Ring and Souls-like, but also reach out to more "casual" players. To do this, Team Ninja has integrated three distinct difficulty modes.

The Nioh and Ninja Gaiden sagas are renowned for their level of difficulty. Can we expect an extremely difficult video game? How to manage this increase in difficulty in an open world? Have you analyzed games like Elden Ring to achieve this?

Obviously Team Ninja titles aren't designed to be easy for everyone to play, but we wanted to make this title more accessible to a wide range of players. We have developed three distinct difficulty modes that players can choose based on their preferences. The first is aimed at narrative-focused players, who want to experience the story and play without too much difficulty. Then we have an intermediate mode for players used to this kind of experience. Finally, we have a harder mode that is more in line with our previous games and meets the needs of hardcore gamers and Souls-like fans. - Yosuke Hayashi (Producer - Team Ninja) and Fumihiko Yasuda (Development Producer and Game Director)
www.jeuxvideo.com

L'exclu PS5 Rise of the Ronin veut séduire les fans d'Elden Ring et des Souls, mais pas uniquement !

Rise of the Ronin est la prochaine exclusivité majeure du catalogue First Party de Sony. Après Wo Long : Fallen Dynasty, Team Ninja accoste de nouveau sur les rives du Japon féodal avec pour offrande destinée aux joueurs PlayStation 5 une aventure à même de séduire les fans d’Elden Ring et des...

J75

Sep 29, 2018

www.jeuxvideo.com

L'exclu PS5 Rise of the Ronin veut séduire les fans d'Elden Ring et des Souls, mais pas uniquement !

Rise of the Ronin est la prochaine exclusivité majeure du catalogue First Party de Sony. Après Wo Long : Fallen Dynasty, Team Ninja accoste de nouveau sur les rives du Japon féodal avec pour offrande destinée aux joueurs PlayStation 5 une aventure à même de séduire les fans d’Elden Ring et des...
Sorry I tagged you already in the other thread but thanks for sharing!

Water

The Retro Archivist
Oct 30, 2017
Is this a big gear game like Nioh? Just not really a big fan of that aspect.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
famitsu interview

-MC is part of "hidden sword(blade)" team which consists of a pair. You can see the pair in the latest trailer.
-there is a set main story, but also by bonding with various characters you open up new story elements. Lots of freedom on how you play with this.
-no plans for beta test/demo like Nioh at this moment since it's more story driven game.
With no supernatural elements, I gotta wonder how they're handling enemies; People have constantly complained about the lack of variety in their recent games, so doing a more grounded setting that gives them less room for enemy types on top of it being open world and thus likely longer than their other games seems like it won't do that any favours.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
With no supernatural elements, I gotta wonder how they're handling enemies; People have constantly complained about the lack of variety in their recent games, so doing a more grounded setting that gives them less room for enemy types on top of it being open world and thus likely longer than their other games seems like it won't do that any favours.
this was sort of their answer in the interview:

We did not want to incorporate excessive fantasy elements because we wanted the players to experience the end of the Edo period in an open world as if they were stepping back in time, in a very realistic way. What we wanted to depict this time was the "fate" of the many people who lived in that era.

This may sound like a lack of scope for an action game, but even among humans, there are many unique enemies who utilize a variety of equipment and fight in different ways. You may even fight enemies that are not so simple, such as masters of swordsmanship.

But yea we will have to wait and see when the actual game comes out to find out about the variety.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
famitsu interview

www.jeuxvideo.com

Yes, yes, yes to everything here.

Ann Rule

Dec 7, 2022
I am worried because I am not at all good at souls games. It gets too stressful and frustrating. But the fact that there will be an easy mode sounds promising.

cowbanana

Feb 2, 2018
a Socialist Utopia
Looks very rough. I'll wait for patches and play Dragon's Dogma 2.

Wo Long released in a pretty rough state, so yeah... waiting a while on this one is probably for the best.

Mar 19, 2021
I'm mainly worried that there's too much loot and menu management, that stuff really dragged the Nioh games down for me a lot