ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
wait? didn't they already make Casey a woman in this series?

They did and I was worried about her not being included, but given the time-traveling premise, she may be this Casey's mother or aunt.

That aside looks good! Definitely looks like they are following up on Leo's leadership stuff.

Last edited:

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
wait? didn't they already make Casey a woman in this series?
I was going to say, what is going on? I liked that twist they did at the end of the series.

This show had some good animation, especially towards the end with the fighting so I am on board. Though too many things are coming out on August 5.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
They're good? They give each turtle a unique silhouette, and highlight their individual style of fighting? And their flat, sharp lines allow for insane animation on the action scenes?
They look terrible to me. Not feeling this art style at all. The animation looks good though.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
To those who don't like the look or other aspects of this... this direct to video movie is the swan song for the series this was based off of, which has been cancelled. I'm not sure why they sat on this movie for so long, they completed it like two years ago and they've been waiting until now to release it for some reason.

My opinion of it remains very much the same... some very interesting animation which can look greaet at times, but I really don't like much of anything else this series has to offer. It's just not turtles to me.

Oct 25, 2017
Love the original 80s series, and while I think the art direction here goes a little overboard in some instances it's also good to try different things with a long running property like this, have seen a few clips from this series which has some amazing animation. Too bad the series isn't available on Netflix too (at least not here in Denmark), would love to see it.

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
Oh damn, Krang looks awesome. I'm super excited for this, can't believe I waited this long to actually watch the show.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Wow! The animation quality is great. An upgrade from the series proper. Just barely started season 2; need to finish before my discounted Paramount+ subscription expires.

Show is criminally underrated and this looks to be a proper sendoff to it.

He's a box turtle in this one.
Actually that's Mikey. Ralph is an alligator snapping turtle in this case.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
This

Love the original 80s series, and while I think the art direction here goes a little overboard in some instances it's also good to try different things with a long running property like this, have seen a few clips from this series which has some amazing animation. Too bad the series isn't available on Netflix too (at least not here in Denmark), would love to see it.

This is a correct take

One of the most common complaints among people less enamored with the turtle designs is that they all look the same. Rise ends up giving them their own individual designs and species of turtles, and boom, instant favorability and enjoyment from that crowd. But that same aspect is a turn-off point for fans who already love the original direction lol.

At least we should be glad Raph is the good kind of buffed up, and not the bad kind like Knuckles from Sonic Boom

latest

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Personal opinion and all, but this has been the only teenage mutant ninja turtle cartoon I've enjoyed since I was a child. My kids and I love it.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
The comics, video games and 90s turtles are my era of turtles.
Ok, the original designs. That was what I grew up with, too.

So, are you saying you don't like the new designs, or the new style?

Because the designs have a purpose, but if you liked the "identical turtles with different masks" look, then I can't really say anything, that's just your taste.

The style, though, is straight up Genndy Tartakovsky, and it's extremely conducive to animating the incredible action sequences on the show.

Damn they Poochi'd the shit out of TMNT
Wow. Wow! You literally couldn't have misunderstood that episode more.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Ok, the original designs. That was what I grew up with, too.

So, are you saying you don't like the new designs, or the new style?

Because the designs have a purpose, but if you liked the "identical turtles with different masks" look, then I can't really say anything, that's just your taste.

The style, though, is straight up Genndy Tartakovsky, and it's extremely conducive to animating the incredible action sequences on the show.

I think whoever the animators are for this could've done some incredible work with any design or art style, they're really talented. In general the art style looks more Invader Zim to me than tartakovskys stuff. But overall it's the design of the Turtles in this art style that doesn't appeal to me. If they had a different design it probably wouldn't be as off-putting for me.

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
Can't wait really enjoyed Rise when it finally got added to Paramount +. It's such a divisive series either you like or hate all the design and plot changes. Most people I recommend the series to had a very "this isn't MY TMNT" energy about them.

Caddywompus

Mar 10, 2018
I hope this does well enough to continue the series. It's just so damn fun. I too poop poop the art style but it won me over.

Each character's personally is such a unique take they made Donny more than just the smart one, his arrogant sarcastic ass if probably my favorite character next to Splinter and his lazy lack luster father skills as a former martial art movie star. They can take a seemly mundane story, like returning a DVD to earn father's love only to be twarted by a Luchador who's career they ruined in a previous episode and turn them into hilarious entertaining adventure. They managed to introduce creative new villains into their rouge gallery you look forward to seeing more of like an evil animatronic Chucky Cheese and reimagine old characters in creative new ways.

This is the best TMNT cartoon made to date, I can't praise it enough. Please just give it a chance.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I would have no problem with these Turtles designs if Ralph was only slightly bigger than the rest. He just, nah that ain't it and I didn't like that look years ago either.

I'm also from the era of 80s/90s Turtles. I was in kindergarten holding those Turtles plush dolls.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I think whoever the animators are for this could've done some incredible work with any design or art style, they're really talented. In general the art style looks more Invader Zim to me than tartakovskys stuff. But overall it's the design of the Turtles in this art style that doesn't appeal to me. If they had a different design it probably wouldn't be as off-putting for me.
Hmm, I can see the Jhonen Vasquez elements - the heavy lines, the deep shadows - but this is decidedly flatter and less deliberately asymmetrical than Invader Zim. And Zim is also one of the best looking shows to come out of Nick Studios, IMO.

You're obviously entitled to your opinion and taste, but it's so weird to me that so many people are seemingly down on this incredible-looking show.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Hmm, I can see the Jhonen Vasquez elements - the heavy lines, the deep shadows - but this is decidedly flatter and less deliberately asymmetrical than Invader Zim. And Zim is also one of the best looking shows to come out of Nick Studios, IMO.

You're obviously entitled to your opinion and taste, but it's so weird to me that so many people are seemingly down on this incredible-looking show.
I think, like someone else mentioned in this thread, that if this was a new ip and not the Turtles it would get a lot less flak. It's changing these beloved characters in such a way that they could almost be brand new yet they're still close enough to the old Turtles to be TMNT.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
You can already tell from the small glimpses that the action scenes are gonna pop off. These Turtles designs and overall style is super underrated. What's the point in constantly rebooting if you're not gonna switch it up every so often?

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I think, like someone else mentioned in this thread, that if this was a new ip and not the Turtles it would get a lot less flak. It's changing these beloved characters in such a way that they could almost be brand new yet they're still close enough to the old Turtles to be TMNT.
Wait, wait, wait...what changes were made?

Raph is very bulky and Mikey is a little smaller. That's the extent of the changes that were made. They still read 100% as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Anyone under 80 could look at the key art for this show and identify them as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.