wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

[Press Release] Riven to Launch Into Virtual Reality on Meta Quest 2 & 3 » Cyan

Engulf yourself in the world of Riven—in virtual reality for the first time ever! Spokane, United States - May 14th, 2024 - Today Cyan Worlds is pleased to reveal that Riven, the classic narrative-driven puzzle game that is being updated for modern platforms, will initially launch on the Meta...

Spokane, United States – May 14th, 2024 – Today Cyan Worlds is pleased to reveal that Riven, the classic narrative-driven puzzle game that is being updated for modern platforms, will initially launch on the Meta Quest 2 and Meta Quest 3 VR platforms, as well as Windows (VR and flatscreen) and Mac. Already announced to be coming to virtual reality, Cyan Worlds is thrilled to confirm that Riven will be coming to the Meta Quest platform.

Cyan's from-the-ground-up remake of Myst—launched first on the Meta Quest platform in 2020—enabled players to experience the game's iconic Ages like never before. In Riven's first update since 1997, players will explore the game with the same sense of immersion and freedom that comes from actually being in this world—especially on Meta Quest 3, where Riven will take advantage of the headset's increased power and higher resolution to deliver a truly spectacular experience.

"One of the most astounding experiences for me is being fully immersed in Riven in VR with no strings attached on Meta Quest 3," stated Cyan Worlds co-founder Rand Miller. "It's mind-blowing to have jumped from the original static images to wrapping myself in Riven."

Key Features:

• Intricate Storytelling and Mind-Bending Puzzles: Challenge your intellect with Riven's cunning puzzles woven throughout its narrative.
  • Immersive Environments and Stunning Graphics: Explore surreal islands, each meticulously crafted with unparalleled attention to detail, from dense, lush jungles to awe-inspiring caverns.
  • An Expanded World To Explore: Encounter an immersive and visually stunning world that will captivate newcomers and reveal new mysteries for long-time fans.
  • Fully Re-imagined Gaming Experience: Experience Riven like never before, with free movement through a real-time 3D environment. Whether you're a seasoned adventurer returning to Riven or a newcomer eager to explore Riven's mysteries for the first time, this immersive and visually stunning world will captivate you.
  • Truly Immersive Experience Developed in Parallel for Flatscreen and VR: Cyan Worlds is simultaneously developing the flatscreen and VR versions of the game to ensure a high-quality experience regardless of players' platform of choice.

Quest 3 screens:

39035341_376971428019943_3354269967384595204_n.png
39031338_470548878740319_2192641894659794416_n.png

38982572_779095444212798_817204160890506524_n.png

Gameplay from flat version released last month:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPuhlYDBW7U

I think they did an excellent job translating the look of the original to realtime, you can really see it in the gameplay video above.

Robotoboy

Banned
Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Fuck yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees

I am so excited to revisit Riven... An absolute beast of a classic game.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
You need to make such extensive hand written notes and diagrams to play through Riven, I wonder how they are going to handle that in VR

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
i'm excited to play it.
i feel like the lighting in the village feels flat, especially compared to the original
riven-70.jpg

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
As someone who's always heard amazing things about the game and only recently beat myst for the first time I am absolutely pumped to play this on my quest 3

Aug 31, 2019
Where did Myst get to on VR in the end? Last I heard there wasn't great notetaking abilities, which made the game kind of suck in VR

OP
OP
wafflebrain

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/cyanworlds/status/1790778696522924278

GNoft65WAAYWW5F

Where did Myst get to on VR in the end? Last I heard there wasn't great notetaking abilities, which made the game kind of suck in VR

They added a feature in an update for taking screenshots you could then reference in an in game journal. I think it would be cool if at least on Quest 3 you could use passthrough with maybe a picture in picture or slightly transparent game/camera feed for using real pen and paper so you don't have to take off the headset.