SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
This is what made me buy into all the hype for Nintendo Ultra 64 back in mid 1995, a year before the system released, Robotech

0DTNcQa.jpg

Almost 5 years later...

p.s. Reading every issue of GameFan on Wii U is awesome, had no idea the web browser had a PDF reader.

0ftGNZe.jpg

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey at least tell me you got ocarina of time to help you deal with it.

Also wii u secrectly has the best browser of all the 7th gens consoles.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, look at all those Capcom games listed that never happened.

Also "Ultra Metroid" lol

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
ah yes, that fucking Gamefan spread. used to look that over every day thinking that's what i'd be playing on my 'ultra 64'. but Crystal Dreams is always something i wanted to play, still looks pretty interesting to this day.

and lol at the trademark spurious Gamefan speculation at the end of the article "coming soon: Final Fantasy 8, Secret of Evermore 2..."

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In the same breath they were hyping up games like Mission Impossible. Who knows if Robotech would be any good if it were released?

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
to me the concept shots always reminded me of M2 tech demos. maybe before Nintendo tweaked the n64 specs before release it could have done something similar to those screens but the game that got canned.... it deserved it.

In the same breath they were hyping up games like Mission Impossible. Who knows if Robotech would be any good if it were released?

a build of the game is out there. it looks like one of those games where the devs weren't really sure what to do.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
a build of the game is out there. it looks like one of those games where the devs weren't really sure what to do.
I would suppose so, since it was cancelled.

That said, I do fully understand the appeal of a classic anime being made in 3D for a Nintendo machine. That's some good mid-90s dreaming right there.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
If it's any consolation all the Robotech games released since then have been pretty poor, so you probably weren't missing much.

I would love an FTL-like game where you control the SDF-1 and have to get back to Earth from Pluto; that might fare better than the Valkyrie stuff. Or maybe platinum games will do a quick cel-shaded game, like transformers.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
I find the Dreamworks article at the top interesting, because that would ultimately become Medal of Honor on PS1.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
to me the concept shots always reminded me of M2 tech demos. maybe before Nintendo tweaked the n64 specs before release it could have done something similar to those screens.

like the "Final Fantasy 7" "screenshots" for N64 it was conceptual stuff, how games could run on a 3D engine since such was uncharted territory for the most part. devs never made any bones about it, standard ghetto 90s gaming journalism treating it like the actual game

LaserBits

Jan 27, 2018
This is what made me buy into all the hype for Nintendo Ultra 64 back in mid 1995, a year before the system released, Robotech
I loved Robotech (still do) and back then i had spend a lot of hours admiring those same pages in a magazine and thinking about the possibilities . If i can remember correct back in the day someone described the Robotech game idea as a space game with the ability to land on planets. . I eventually got a N64 and the Robotech game that released back then but it was not what i was expecting .

Thanks for the post reminded me some good times. Also i think it is time to realise that Robotech concept. Switch hardware is up to the task and portable!!
I would like an open world explorable universe please. Rpg elements to upgrade my ship and gain abilities , coop to fight the enemy with a group.
Hell even a 2 function based multiplayer game would be cool to control planets in a PVEPVP style of game. Humans vs Zentraedi, yes please !!!