• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Robyn - Dancing on My Own
2. Kendrick Lamar, "Alright"
3. Adele, "Rolling in the Deep"
4. Beyoncé, "Formation"
5. Taylor Swift, "All Too Well"
6. Kanye West, "Runaway"
7. Ariana Grande, "Thank U, Next"
8. Kacey Musgraves, "Follow Your Arrow"
9. Cardi B feat. Bad Bunny and J Balvin, "I Like It"
10. Drake, "Hotline Bling"
11. Lorde, "Royals"
12. Lil Nas X, "Old Town Road"
13. Mitski, "Your Best American Girl"
14. Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper, "Shallow"
15. J Balvin and Willy William, "Mi Gente"
16. Parquet Courts, "Stoned and Starving"
17. Daft Punk, "Get Lucky"
18. Migos, "Bad and Boujee"
19. Alabama Shakes, "Hold On"
20. Grimes, "Oblivion"
21. Eric Church, "Springsteen"
22. Beyoncé feat. Jay-Z, "Drunk in Love"
23. Luis Fonsi feat. Daddy Yankee and Justin Bieber, "Despacito"
24. Lizzo, "Truth Hurts"
25. Miguel, "Adorn"
67b.jpg

Not enough Autechre on there, lads.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
I love Robyn. 'Dancing on My Own" is a great song.

But I must agree with previous posters in this thread, I like "Call Your Girlfriend" better

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
That's not Run Away With Me, OT though love Robyn but that is a horrendous top 100 whew. I give them a hard time about being up their own asses but even Pitchfork would come with something better like this, so much on this is too artists/ main stream, you'd think smaller acts/artists didn't exist . You're huffing paint if Hotling Bling is on your top 10 of the decade.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
Great top 3. The rest eh...

I think my n°1 would be Rolling in the deep, and Dancing in my own my n°2 (I sometimes prefer Call Your Girlfriend too but I think Dancing on my own is more adequate. Top 3 would be The Suburbs? Maybe.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
I do not understand this choice at all.

At all. :(

But its not like I am dissing Robyn: if they had gone with Röyksopp feat Robyn : Monument, I would have just clapped.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, personal song of the decade is Riddim Affair by Chabin ft. Niska.

I'm way more into reggae/Caribbean flair.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
Also, now that I have gone through that top 50 list, I cannot believe Marina did not even get to have one song in this. I would have either place Savages, How To be a Heartbreaker, Power and Control or Numb in there. /meh

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Robyn is great.

Alright isn't even close to being the best Kenny song. Put Money Trees, Swimming Pools, DNA, or i or something.

If I had to pick a #1 it might be DJ Koze - Pick Up. It's been a really long decade though, so there might be some recency bias in that pick.

Not only is Earfquake not as good, you can't measure the impact it had like you can with Dancing on My Own.
Since when does impact have to do with quality though?

robox

Nov 10, 2017
1. Robyn - Dancing on My Own
2. Kendrick Lamar, "Alright"
3. Adele, "Rolling in the Deep"
4. Beyoncé, "Formation"
5. Taylor Swift, "All Too Well"
<snip>
i only know like 5 songs off that list. but i do know no.1. and i'm a bit surprised that it was that influential since robyn to me is still seems niche in pop circles.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Dude from American Idol who auditioned with this song

He got the golden buzzer. Singed pretty well.

And honestly, a very good rendition of the song

But seeing it having 15x the views of Robyn's version is ... wow

Imagine having someone sing your song and having WAY more popularity than your version

It must suck

It seems like people do this with pop songs. Take a pop song and then play a slowed down sad version of it. The example I think of that also did this was Jose Gonzalez with Heartbeats, which was originally a song by Knife. His version is much more popular and well known than theirs, in large part because Sony used it in that Bravia commercial with the balls bouncing through San Francisco.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it's my first time hearing it.

It's... okay, I guess?

Don't really get the hype.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The absence of Gangam Style is an outage.

No kidding.

It helped establish Youtube as the primary location for music videos for the decade.

It dispelled the myths that artists needed to perform in English to capture International markets.

It ushered in the wave of Korean pop music to the mainstream, where you have Korean pop starts showing up on late night talk shows and SNL.

I think the youtube stuff happens anyway, but the foreign language stuff needed a push. Does Beiber sing in Spanish on Despacito if Gangnam Style doesn't exist? Bieber's agent, Scooter Braun signed Psy on the back of this song.