• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
My RB drums are buried in the garage and I haven't touched them since I bought a real drum kit and started playing for real. Still cool to know these will work though.

Oct 26, 2017
For making new instruments, remember that Harmonix is an indie studio and doesn't have the production facilities to make and ship huge plastic instruments worldwide. And I'm not sure if accessory makers are lining up to make them, considering that they killed Mad Catz last time.

BPK

Oct 27, 2017
And that was before 4 came out too

Would PDP even make new instruments?

Yeah, I think that was my problem. I never bought Rock Band 3 until much later and so had no reason to export the songs. When I finally bought Rock Band 4, the export had expired.

As for new instruments, they really should. I'm good, but I know from friends that the prices for the instruments on the second-hand market is through the roof. But I'm not sure if there's enough of a market for Harmonix to release new instruments.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
For making new instruments, remember that Harmonix is an indie studio and doesn't have the production facilities to make and ship huge plastic instruments worldwide. And I'm not sure if accessory makers are lining up to make them, considering that they killed Mad Catz last time.
PDP only made a limited run too I think.

Rock Band 4 + Rivals Bundle on sale until 10/14

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads-up if you're in the U.S.: the current Rock Band 4 Rivals Bundle sale ends on October 14, 11:59 P.M. You can get RB4 and the Rivals expansion for $14.99. The current sale coincided with Rock Band 4's 5th Anniversary last week.

FYI, the last time the bundle was actually on sale was a few months ago, and it was priced higher.

Here's the link to the Xbox One store page. If you already own RB4 and just want Rivals, it's on sale separately as well.

Here's the PS4 store page. And here's the page for Rivals only, if you own the base game.

If you're part of the Xbox ecosystem and have played Rock Band 3 on the 360 with your Xbox account, you can also pick up the Rock Band 3 Export Pack via the MS Store.

For the PS4, you have to have played RB3 on your PS3 on your same PSN account. The RB3 Export Pack should be available for purchase from within the RB4 in-game store.

PSA: the Rock Band 3 Export goes away on December 1.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Did RB4 ever get a Pro or One x patch? I feel like it never did. Would a 120 Hz mode benefit a game like this?

It did not, which is disappointing. Would love just a res bump.

A music rhythm game is based on fast inputs and strict timing and it would absolutely benefit from 120hz. It's an ideal candidate. It's just not clear if the game engine is tied to 60fps though and I could see score-chasers getting upset about some people getting an advantage from 120Hz.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm a little surprised Microsoft hasn't stepped in to assist.

The platforms benefit from continued DLC sales

Just release the instruments to say GameStop and Amazon if retailers don't want to allocate the space, but looking at the stores lately they would have space to spare for two SKUs.

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
If we aren't getting a RB5 anytime soon, would love for them to re-release instruments even if it was a limited time or only based on pre-orders.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just a heads-up if you're in the U.S.: the current Rock Band 4 Rivals Bundle sale ends on October 14, 11:59 P.M. You can get RB4 and the Rivals expansion for $14.99. The current sale coincided with Rock Band 4's 5th Anniversary last week.

FYI, the last time the bundle was actually on sale was a few months ago, and it was priced higher.

Here's the link to the Xbox One store page. If you already own RB4 and just want Rivals, it's on sale separately as well.

Here's the PS4 store page. And here's the page for Rivals only, if you own the base game.

If you're part of the Xbox ecosystem and have played Rock Band 3 on the 360 with your Xbox account, you can also pick up the Rock Band 3 Export Pack via the MS Store.

For the PS4, you have to have played RB3 on your PS3 on your same PSN account. The RB3 Export Pack should be available for purchase from within the RB4 in-game store.

PSA: the Rock Band 3 Export goes away on December 1.

I managed to successfully get the Rock Band 3 Export about a week or two ago without ever playing Rock Band 3 with my Xbox account.

TrsvsNx.png

I originally tried to buy the export through Rock Band 4, it said that I needed to play Rock Band 3. I went through the link on MS's website and purchased it. After I got it, I was able to download all of the RB3 songs and play them on RB4 without issues, even though it still says I'm not eligible.

---------------------------------------------------------

On Topic: I'm super happy to hear this specially since I managed to get a Band in a Box bundle for $100 off the Facebook Marketplace. Only thing missing is the stand for the drum set and the drumsticks, but the drum set works perfectly!

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
I managed to successfully get the Rock Band 3 Export about a week or two ago without ever playing Rock Band 3 with my Xbox account.

TrsvsNx.png

I originally tried to buy the export through Rock Band 4, it said that I needed to play Rock Band 3. I went through the link on MS's website and purchased it. After I got it, I was able to download all of the RB3 songs and play them on RB4 without issues, even though it still says I'm not eligible.

---------------------------------------------------------

On Topic: I'm super happy to hear this specially since I managed to get a Band in a Box bundle for $100 off the Facebook Marketplace. Only thing missing is the stand for the drum set and the drumsticks, but the drum set works perfectly!
Thanks for confirming that the MS store purchase actually works if you haven't played RB3 before. I'd read that some were having issues with doing that, but perhaps they were trying via the in-game store and not directly through the MS website.

And congrats on scoring the instrument set! Finding one or even a legacy adapter that's not selling for the price of 1 or 2 next-gen consoles has been quite the challenge.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Someone/harmonix needs to ask Microsoft to whitelist the og USB rockband instruments. I've had the itch to play some rockband now and then throughout this gen but none of my instruments work on Xbox one.

Antipode

Jul 25, 2019
I'm in the market for drums at the moment, and the prices are absurd. I wish they'd do a limited run of instruments...

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for confirming that the MS store purchase actually works if you haven't played RB3 before. I'd read that some were having issues with doing that, but perhaps they were trying via the in-game store and not directly through the MS website.

And congrats on scoring the instrument set! Finding one or even a legacy adapter that's not selling for the price of 1 or 2 next-gen consoles has been quite the challenge.

Thanks! It did cost me a 4 hour roundtrip haha, but yes. The prices for Rock Band stuff is insane, specially those Legacy and PDP adapters. I had tried using a CronusMax with a old wired guitar, but the Xbox One kept seeing it as a standard controller.

I hope Harmonix ends up with another instrument run, even if it is via Kickstarter or pre-orders only or at least make a few more legacy adapters, that alone would be a huge help!

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm delighted to hear it should keep working, though in practice my Rock Band setup has a dedicated console so it won't be an issue any time soon. Still, it's nice to know it'll all move forward - in theory. I'll certainly be trying out the MIDI adapter to make sure before I start thinking about retiring the PS4 I'm using.

I will also be curious about Rocksmith, which has a slightly different set of issues that have never been resolved. I still need to reboot my PS4 before playing to prevent occasional audible glitches. Here's hoping that's just a matter of some borderline timing that the faster machine will resolve!

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I messed up by tossing all my Rock Band stuff a few moves back. I briefly looked into getting some stuff and holy crud it's expensive.
Ditto. I'd love for them to do another production run on the instruments, even if it's just a limited time thing. I'd love to return to Rock Band, especially since they keep putting out DLC for it years after getting guitars and whatnot has become prohibitively expensive.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
My RB4 guitar, drum set and mic all still work so I'm good to go. I'll probably just keep RB4 in quick resume forever.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
But what about Rock Band 3? All I want is to play Pro Keys. I've always been pissed I couldn't just use the keyboard with the Pro Keys charts within RB4, I don't care if it's represented and animated on stage, I just want that already-created content to carry over.

Dunnymeister

Oct 25, 2017
Perth, Australia
Doesn't mean much to me since I can't use my Midi Pro Adapter without spending more than the price of a next-gen console. Will stick with my 360 until there's a second run of legacy wired adatpers or a better solution.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
It's cool that things will still work, but I'm not sure I could really get into Rock Band again at this point without a Rock Band 5 purely for instrument availability alone (barrring a Switch port that let me use all my Wii stuff).

FrsDvl

Oct 25, 2017
Please, re release the game+band kit. I skipped it and regret it so much. It's impossible to find now and I really, really want to play Rock Band.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Please, re release the game+band kit. I skipped it and regret it so much. It's impossible to find now and I really, really want to play Rock Band.

They're not unfortunately

If you're on PlayStation, it's a bit easier since PS3 stuff works on PS4. As I kept looking around for Xbox stuff, I kept seeing PlayStation stuff cheaper than the Xbox stuff. I did get lucky and scored the band kit for cheap yesterday. I would strongly recommend checking Facebook Marketplace or OfferUp. I did find a decently priced guitar on eBay, but you barely find anything there at a decent price.

If you're playing on Xbox, go straight for the Rock Band 4 instruments because the adapters to use the legacy stuff are stupidly expensive.