• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Source

rl_generic_screen_6_2_1920x1080.c6e1dc555a6eff57c623d9877706c9a5.r19I4NwMG.jpg

It's Winter time again here in San Diego and we've put up the holiday lights in Utopia Stadium. That means it's time to reflect on another great year for Rocket League!

Thanks to all of you, our fantastic community, for making 2017 Rocket League's best year yet. Over 38 million of you have played more than two billion matches since we launched back in 2015, and with Rocket League China coming online via our first closed beta test, Soccar is about to go fully worldwide. The game we all love just keeps getting bigger!

We had the pleasure of welcoming a whole new set of fans from the Nintendo Switch community - a huge milestone not just for us at Psyonix, but also for Rocket League as a game and an esport. We'll be keeping an eye out for fellow fans sneaking in a few matches on-the-go as we travel home for the holidays.

You've also helped us grow Rocket League Esports and the RLCS into one of the best competitive scenes on the planet. This year brought Rocket League to brand new tournaments like the Universal Open, The X Games and the recent ELEAGUE Cup. With the introduction of our Collegiate Rocket League program and the RLCS World Championships in LA and DC breaking records, there's never been a better time to be a fan of competitive Rocket League.

rl_generic_screen_6_6.jpg

All of this growth has brought new challenges as well. Our CEO Dave Hagewood spoke back in March about recurring PsyNet database outages that made it hard to log in and play, and we're happy to say those issues have been almost entirely resolved. We've also added game servers in new regions like South Africa and Asia to improve the play experience for those players. There's still work to be done, and two issues in particular will be a focus for us heading into 2018.

The first issue is game server performance. We see feedback on this topic regularly and take it very seriously. While many connection issues are out of our hands - like when an internet service provider suddenly starts routing you differently to our datacenters - we are still monitoring performance and looking for ways to improve.

We'll be rolling out improved connection quality status information in the game client in 2018 that will tell you if you're experiencing packet loss, latency variance, or legitimate game server performance issues. We're looking into how we can allow the community to report servers they think are performing poorly to help us identify and resolve problems more quickly. We're also planning improvements to region selection in matchmaking that would let us roll out servers in regions like US-Central without negatively impacting US-East or US-West.

Our second focus is game performance on Xbox One. We don't want Xbox players to feel ignored when they report issues, and we've rolled out fixes for stability and stuttering in our last two major patches. But we know some of you are still experiencing performance problems and we're actively working to fix them. We'll have more to share in the new year.

Speaking of the new year, we have a ton of great new features and improvements in the pipeline headed your way in 2018. Our in-game Tournaments feature is still on track, though we had to delay the initial beta test until early next year. We're going to revamp the progression system to make XP meaningful again, and you'll be able to unlock new banners, titles, and free Decryptors on a regular interval by leveling up. There's a ton of great "Quality of Life" updates in the works to improve your daily experience with things like inventory management, and we're working on some new Achievements and Trophies for the hunters out there. By popular demand, we'll also be sure to keep releasing new Dragon-themed content for your cars.

Last but not least, we're actively working on cross-platform party support for a 2018 release. Our PsyNet Party tests this fall were a huge success - thanks again to our patient Steam playerbase for helping us out! With PsyNet Parties now stably powering the Switch platform, we'll begin rolling it out to all of our players sometime next year.

2017's been our best year ever at Psyonix and we couldn't have done it without all of you. Thank you to all of our fans around the world - we can't wait to tell you about everything else we have in store for 2018. Happy Holidays and may all of your stockings be filled with Painted items!

Can't wait!

dred

Oct 27, 2017
Best competitive game in existence keeps getting better. Here's to another year of slow improvement and neglecting all the other great games I wish I could squeeze in!

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Finally keys drops? About time sheesh, I wonder how common they are to drop though bet it's very rare and even rarer drop for those who play this game casually some

OP
OP
Kayant

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finally keys drops? About time sheesh, I wonder how common they are to drop though bet it's very rare and even rarer drop for those who play this game casually some
Well it says via levelling so work like Overwatch which if you're unaware you get one every time you level up.
Takes way too long to level up though.
Presumably they will be doing some tweaks to XP given they are "revamping the progression system" hopefully for the better as they are hinting.

Oct 27, 2017
Well it says via levelling so work like Overwatch which if you're unaware you get one every time you level up.

Presumably they will be doing some tweaks to XP given they are "revamping the progression system" hopefully for the better as they are hinting.
Yea,saw that but I don't really have much hope. Will keep an eye though.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if the XP rewards will be awarded retroactively. I'm already level 55. Or maybe they will do a reset for everyone.

Folie

Dec 16, 2017
The game that freed me from the FIFA cycle. Will be interesting to see the frequency with which decryptors can be obtained

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to PsyNet Parties for sure. I wonder how it's going to work for PS4 though, since it's separated from the main player pool. I'm guessing PS4 users will only be able to add and party up with PC users?

Unlockable decryptors sounds great too!

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't leveled up in like a month so that XP tweak should be something to look forward to, lol

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
I've been in the 60's for what feels like 200 hours, though this might include my drive through the 50's (at 700+ now on PC), so the tweak to XP is great.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Love hearing about the decryptors, but I hope that doesn't mean that high level players are screwed since there is so much XP required. Maybe they'll switch to the Overwatch system where it's always a set amount of XP.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the decryptors will be awarded retroactively too. Since you can't trade the items obtained with it, there won't be a huge point boosting offline for it, so maybe they won't need to put too big gaps. Even if it's one every 5-10 levels I'm okay with that, even considering that beyond level 50 every level takes a crazy amount of time. At least it's... something for the effort.

Cappa

Oct 25, 2017
this is really cool and I hope the rewards are retroactive like everyone is saying. I dont play RL as much as I used to but I still play it ocassionally. Id probably be diamond level if I played regularly but between decay and not playing enough Im in Platinum range

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
I like the idea of adding a bit more to the XP system, even if it just means rewards for playing more (which it would I guess), I'm fine with that.

But yeah when I'm nearly level 50 levels don't exactly come very often... hope there's some retroactive rewards. That or the revamp means we're reset and they're more frequent or just more frequent after these changes.

Inventory management is a necessary change also so glad to hear that's going to be addressed.

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
I would be happy if they dumped us at level 1 again so that we can gain keys at the same rate as normal players.

I personally wasn't that bothered about keys until I got some decryptors from the recent winter items and had completely ignored them.

I would like more shiny items for my car but it's a shame that everything like that has been locked behind a pay wall previously and that progression gives you no chance of unlock.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Curious about PsyNet parties, I will be able to send game invites through the system UI and to friends not playing Rocket League at the present time right? Really hope they're not removing that functionality and making it so you have to use the in game systems. I'm all for cross play parties, but I don't want the streamlined experience of Xbox Live and PSN hampered by them either.

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I play on a daily basis, only a couple games mind you, but man, the leveling up takes forever right now, I'll get anywhere from 1000 to 1600xp per game, and my bar barely moves lol. I'm all for an xp adjustment, I don't play to level up, but a chance of getting a decryptor on level up will keep me playing.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Rewards for leveling up? Great... I'm level 60 something and it takes me weeks at a time to level up at this point. Ah well.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Its baffling that PC version still does not have downsampling (or better antialiasing like SSAA) support without tinkering ini files =( Game looks very rough with 1080p and fxaa. I think that engine needs a "little" overhaul, maybe even upgrade to UE4..
ps - SGSSAA helps a little but tanks performance very hard.

OP
OP
Kayant

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Curious about PsyNet parties, I will be able to send game invites through the system UI and to friends not playing Rocket League at the present time right? Really hope they're not removing that functionality and making it so you have to use the in game systems. I'm all for cross play parties, but I don't want the streamlined experience of Xbox Live and PSN hampered by them either.
Sadly I think that wouldn't be happening -

Sadly this is probably going to be the comprise for party system if devs are able/willing to maintain them for now until platform holders have talks about it and help devs in making things easier to integrate which I think wouldn't happen if at all for a long time.

Last edited:

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My biggest wish is shared progression/accounts between platforms, but I know that's not going to happen and I can't blame them for it. It would be awesome, though.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Sadly I think that wouldn't be happening -

Sadly this is probably going to be the comprise for party system if devs are able/willing to maintain them for now until platform holders have talks about it and help devs in making things easier to integrate which I think wouldn't happen if at all for a long time.
Not happy with this at all. If they are going to do this I want to be able to keep using Xbox Live like I have been for years, this is one of the annoying things about PC gaming that turned me off. Why not use both the PsyNet inviting as well as the system level inviting for the same party?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just to chime in, right now you can purchase keys with the in-game currency awarded for participating during the winter event. So after about ten games you should be able to get a key for free.

Oct 28, 2017
Please bring back mutator mashup. It was a ridiculously fun short lived mode and it's a travesty that EVERY SINGLE OTHER GAME MODE YOU ADDED WAS NOT TAKEN OUT! It was 2 years go but I'm still upset about this. Snow day, rocket labs, hoops and rumble all got a permanent playlist but mutator mashup was only there for a few weeks? Why? I want it back.

j.zed

Oct 29, 2017
Here's hoping that tournament mode will eventually have matchmaking with randoms. This could work with small tournaments for maybe 8 teams. Perhaps after winning one of these you would get access to the 16 team tournaments.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I play a lot of Rocket League and it feels like I'm still on the same XP level for the past year or two, so I'd love to see them massage those numbers a bit more.

OP
OP
Kayant

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not happy with this at all. If they are going to do this I want to be able to keep using Xbox Live like I have been for years, this is one of the annoying things about PC gaming that turned me off. Why not use both the PsyNet inviting as well as the system level inviting for the same party?
I imagine the fact there is no universal way to communicate with every platform they're targeting mix in with the fact is setup differently with how they do voice/text etc and the formats they use the only real way is import your friendlist/pull data into a new account system which with independent of the platforms will interact with all platforms in a similar way.

That is what I assume some of the challenges they are facing at the moment.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
So if someone already on Lv 60, will they automatically get 60 keys or they need to level up to get one key. Becaue grinding xp on lv 60-ish takes forever.
Is this why I constantly run into teams of people who just throw games over and over? This is a really huge problem, and super frustrating in any non competitive mode. This is what I'd like to see addressed.

Is this why I constantly run into teams of people who just throw games over and over? This is a really huge problem, and super frustrating in any non competitive mode. This is what I'd like to see addressed.

There are also another case where certain player just driving in circle, i guess they're putting rubber bands on their controller. It's really annoying, like i'm okay losing, but lost because there are cars who just don't feel like playing, that's gonna make me upset too.

I just hope they find way to compensate those who already invest hundred hours on this game too, because i'm more interested in decryptors since the rewards unlocked by them can't be traded. Pretty neat since i have no interests in trading anything with anyone.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope they address the Switch version's graphics again in the second pass of optmisation. No shadows and lack of background details messes with me even though the game is smooth.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Great. I get horrible rubberbanding and momentary connection losses sometimes, tho I'm pretty sure it's me being cursed to have horrible internet access wherever I go.
RL has awakened me again to this, it has to be one of the most sensitive games ever to bad connections (By nature of how it plays)
QUOTE="memoryman3, post: 2406153, member: 8163"]I hope they address the Switch version's graphics again in the second pass of optmisation. No shadows and lack of background details messes with me even though the game is smooth.[/QUOTE]
You'll disagree, but I'd rather them keep the handheld mode at the fidelity it has and achieve a rock solid 720p60. The stages that run at a stable 720 look great despite the lack of shadows.
In docked mode, keep it 720p and go ham with the graphics. In splitscreen I'd say tone it down a notch if it can't be optimized, it can look messy at times.

OP
OP
Kayant

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So if someone already on Lv 60, will they automatically get 60 keys or they need to level up to get one key. Becaue grinding xp on lv 60-ish takes forever.
I very much doubt that would something like that even if they were making no changing with this introduction of decryptors as you level.

For now we wouldn't know how it works because they are set to "revamp" XP/progression system as per OP.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
There are also another case where certain player just driving in circle, i guess they're putting rubber bands on their controller. It's really annoying, like i'm okay losing, but lost because there are cars who just don't feel like playing, that's gonna make me upset too.

I just hope they find way to compensate those who already invest hundred hours on this game too, because i'm more interested in decryptors since the rewards unlocked by them can't be traded. Pretty neat since i have no interests in trading anything with anyone.
Yeah, ineun into this at least twice during a normal play session if not more. And depending on time of day if I back out and join a new game I'm very likely to just be dumped right back in the same game because it's just a constant stream of people joining and leaving. Reporting does fuck all, there's not even a proper option for it. I just never see anyone talk about this, maybe people tend to play more competitive? Idk, but its honestly insane to me how prevalent this problem is. They could give me 100 free decryptors and I would rather them look into this problem.

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
With PsyNet Parties now stably powering the Switch platform, we'll beginrolling it out to all of our players sometime next year.

I didn't know this, that's pretty cool. The PC PsyNet test was only for a small group of people correct? Can Switch and those PsyNet PC people already party up?

Psyonix putting other devs to shame with their post-release support and open communication, that on top of having one of the most polished multiplayer games out right now. Easily my game of the generation.