• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017

CmrqvQB.png

Original OT
  • Release Date: Free To Play September 23, 2020(Original Release July 7, 2015 )
  • Developer: Psyonix
  • Publisher: Epic Games
  • Price: Free To Play with Microtransactions
  • Platforms:
Epic Games
Xbox One
PlayStation 4
Nintendo Switch

Rocket League will be free to play starting September 23rd. The summer update has come with many changes and adds a lot of features to the game like cross progression, tournaments, a revamped UI and Challenge system. If you are a current owner you have received legacy status and items.

If you are a current Steam owner the game will still be updated and playable on Steam but new PC players can only get the game on Epic Games Launcher when Free to play hits on September 23rd.

Rocket League is very deep allowing for a great amount of creativity and technical skill. You can play for thousands of hours and still find things to improve on. Game Modes are as Follow
  • Standard
  • Duos
  • Ones
  • Chaos(4v4)
  • Snowday(Hockey Puck)
  • Hoops(2v2 Basketball)
  • Rumble(Power Ups)
  • Dropshot(Futuristic Volleyball)
Here is a Rocket League 101 Playlist which will be updated with tips on getting started.

There are also private matches where you can choose a lot of different gametypes and mutators as well seasonal events that have their own cosmetic rewards and gametypes.

Cars are standardized into a few hitbox types that come down to preference but speed, boost amounts etc are all equal. There are no car upgrades aside from cosmetic ones. Levels are for unlocks and showing progress only. There is a very deep car customization system with decals, boosts, wheels, body type and more to create your own look.

ZQB59Y2.png

qrck4NX.png

Account Activation Page

Rocket League's cross-platform progression is made possible with an Epic Games Account. So, creating one or signing into your existing Epic Games Account is the first step of the process. You'll be prompted to do this when you start up Rocket League for the first time after the update. Once that's completed, there are a couple of different ways to connect your Rocket League platforms to your Epic Games Account and complete the process for cross-platform progression.

Once you're logged in, you will be asked to set a Primary Platform. Your Primary Platform will be your source of progression (Rocket Pass Progress, Competitive Rank, XP Level) for all of your connected platforms. In other words, be sure to choose the platform where you have the most progress in Rocket Pass, and your highest Competitive Rank. Credit and Esports Token balances will stay tied to each platform as they cannot be transferred to a new platform. Once your Primary Platform is selected, you will be able to play with your Competitive Rank, and Rocket Pass progress, and XP Level on all other connected platforms.

You'll be able to connect additional platforms you have to your Epic Games Account on our account linking page. Simply link your platforms using your PlayStation Network, Xbox Live, Nintendo Switch Online, and Steam account login information and share progress. You may also designate one of them as your Primary Platform from the linking page. If you've linked platforms to your Epic Games Account in the past, you won't need to do it again for Rocket League.

If you make a mistake or change your mind about which platform will be your primary, don't worry! You will be able to unlink your platform and choose a different platform as your primary, but you will not be able to link that platform to a different Epic Games Account.

Shared Across Platforms
  • All earned free drops (Common Items, Event Items)
  • Season Rewards & Titles
  • Rocket Pass Items
  • Item Shop Purchases
  • Blueprints and items built from blueprints
  • All Rocket League-branded DLC included in the Legacy Pack

Not Shared
  • Platform-Exclusive Items: e.g., Sweet Tooth, Hogsticker, Armadillo, Mario and Luigi NSR, and Samus' Gunship
  • Ultimate Edition On-Disc DLC: Batman/DC Superheroes Pack
  • Premium DLC Packs: licensed content that was previously available in the Showroom (e.g., Back To The Future, Jurassic World, DC Superheroes, Fast and the Furious, Ghostbusters, Knight Rider, etc.)
  • Credits and Esports tokens balances
You will still have access to use the purchased DLC Packs on the platform where they were purchased. We are working to make Premium DLC accessible across platforms, but this will not be available when free to play launches.

BjUKJKO.jpg

u0DJpXd.png

Competitive Tournaments, a new ranked mode within Tournaments that pits you against teams of similar skill to earn rewards. Each region has multiple Competitive Tournaments scheduled each day, so you'll have plenty of opportunities to compete. You can sign up from the revamped Tournaments Menu that shows the daily schedule for your region.

Once a Competitive Tournament begins, we generate 32-team, single-elimination brackets based on each team's skill. Teams will play one match each round until the Semifinals and Finals, which are best of three. Teams that lose in the first round (or show up after the Tournament start time) can join a "Second Chance" bracket for another try at victory.

Competitive Tournaments are 3v3 at launch and support parties of all sizes, from a full squad of three to a solo-queued hopeful. Your Tournaments Rank is initially determined by your Rank from Competitive matchmaking, but changes over the course of each season depending on your Tournaments performance. Like Competitive matchmaking, we base the skill of mixed-rank parties on their highest skilled player. For example, if two Gold II players team up with a Diamond I player, that team will be entered into a Diamond Tournament.

Everyone who makes it out of the First Round of a Tournament will receive new in-game currency called Tournament Credits, and performing well and making it farther in a bracket will earn you more. Tournaments at a higher Rank will grant larger Tournament Credit rewards. For instance, strong Silver Ranked players stand to earn more Tournament Credits if they get pulled into a Gold Rank Tournament, but their competition will be tougher. The Tournament Credit reward is the same for all three team members.

Getting at least one win in any Tournament gives you Tournament Credits, but most of your earnings will come from your Top 3 Weekly Placements, which reset at the end of each week on Sunday. For example, winning a Gold Tournament is worth roughly 1,200 Tournament Credits, but your Weekly Placement reward for that result is 4,500 Tournament Credits (for a total of 5,700). The better your results, the higher the weekly reward.

Tournament Credits can be redeemed to get Cups that will grant you a customization item including Wheels, animated Decals, and even Goal Explosions. There are four levels of Cups that become available as you increase your Tournaments Rank. The higher level the Cup, the more often you'll unlock an item of higher rarity. All Tournament items can have special attributes like Painted or Certified. You can also trade in unwanted items to receive Tournament items of a higher rarity. That even goes for Exotic items, which can be traded up to Black Market.

If you win a tournament, you'll get a Title that shows off the Rank of the Tournament you won. Winning three similarly ranked tournaments throughout a season will grant you a colored Title at that Rank.

p8oaCmS.jpg

iTy7DuW.png

Players picking up Rocket League for the first time will see New Driver Challenges in their Challenge Menu. This is how new players will unlock items that were included in the base game prior to going free to play. New accounts will only have access to Octane, Breakout, and Merc to start, but New Driver Challenges will expand their garage and unlock some of the common cars and items that were already unlocked in the paid version of Rocket League. Complete the New Driver Challenges or reach Level 20 to gain access to Weekly Challenges.

The new Challenge system will feature Weekly, Season, and Event Challenges (more on those later). Each week, players will get three Weekly Challenges. When the week refreshes each Wednesday, three new Challenges will replace the Challenges from the previous week. Plus, Rocket Pass Premium users will get an additional three. Weekly Challenges will have to be completed during the week when they are active.

Season Challenges, like the name suggests, span the entire season. These will take longer to complete, but will grant better rewards. Some Season Challenges will be available when the season starts while the rest gradually unlock in stages as the season progresses. Rocket Pass Premium users will get twice as many Season Challenges to complete.

You'll be able to track your Challenge progress in the all-new Challenges widget being added to the right side of the main menu, as well as in the Challenge Menu. The Challenge Menu is where you'll track your Challenges and see the rewards you can receive. It's also where you'll claim your rewards on all your completed Challenges, which you'll have to do once you complete them. Rewards will include customization items, XP, or our new Drops.

Drops can be found as Challenge rewards, and on the free track of Rocket Pass. When opened, Drops award an item that is added to your inventory. They come in every rarity type starting with Uncommon and grant an item of the same rarity as the Drop or higher (including Black Market items). The items received from Drops are tradable to other players, but the Drops themselves are not.

After the launch of free to play, Challenges and Drops will be your primary way to earn free items instead of receiving items from leveling up.

YH4yOQr.jpg

SVoEhxt.png

Players much reach Level 10 in order to join Ranked Matches. There are 7 ranks with three divisions each and one final rank at the top. At the end of the season you are rewarded with exclusive cosmetic rewards and titles(at the highest rank) for your highest achieved rank and all the ones below.

yh95ZCU.jpg

6F6TtYc.png

Current Rocket Pass

Get ready to Tier Up in the latest Rocket Pass, which begins with Season 1. This Rocket Pass celebrates the legacy of Rocket League, and comes with 70+ Tiers of items inspired by the history of the game. It all starts with the newest rugged car, Harbinger. Inspired by a classic from Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars, Harbinger modernizes the stylings of its predecessor and is ready for Rocket League. This latest car is unlocked immediately with Rocket Pass Premium.

Rocket Pass Premium costs 1000 Credits and grants access to the full Rocket Pass experience: 70 Tiers of unlockable items, and the Pro Tiers after Tier 70 which grant Painted and Special Edition variants of select items from this Rocket Pass. Plus, players with Rocket Pass Premium will get three additional Weekly Challenges that will grant XP and Drops.
PzJc6Rf.png

6KfjsFg.png

RLEsports
Rocket League RLCS X |OT|

RLCS X will function much differently than previous seasons. We're moving away from biannual seasons to an annual season that consists of three Splits (Fall, Winter, Spring). Within these Splits, there will be six Regionals (three for North America and three for Europe), and based on teams' performances they'll earn points and then qualify for that Split's Major.

The Fall Split begins this Saturday, August 1 with the first European Regional. 32 of Europe's top teams will be battling through a grueling Swiss format that culminates with an eight-team, single-elimination bracket. The European Regional will span two full weekends (four show days) with $100,000 in prizing and vitally important RLCS Circuit Points up for grabs.

Circuit Points not only qualify competing teams for the Major at the end of the Split, but also for the eventual Rocket League World Championship slated for next year. The further your favorite team makes it in the European Regional, the more points they will earn. It's as simple as that.

Here's a breakdown of how Circuit Points are earned in Regionals:
  • 1st Place: 351 points
  • 2nd Place: 250 points
  • Tied for 3rd Place (Two teams): 200 points each
  • Tied for 4th Place (Four teams): 150 points each
  • Tied for 5th Place (Three teams): 100 points each
  • Tied for 12th Place (Three teams): 70 points each
  • Tied for 15th Place (Two teams): 50 points each
  • Tied for 17th Place (Six teams): 30 points each
  • Tied for 23rd Place (Six teams): 20 points each
  • Tied for 29th Place (Four teams): 10 points each

xMnOtLV.jpg

Last edited:

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Will the be finally the time I finally break out of Platinum and reach Diamond? Only time will tell me NOT!

Also, RL is without doubt my most played game this game, and honestly, it may be my most played game of all time. It's just that good.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT! Been playing since the very first beta on PS4, but I'm looking forward to playing on Switch now too.

CrewShadow

Feb 5, 2018
Nice job on the OT. Did anyone get a chance to hop into the three tournaments that happened on Friday?

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
I hate that they removed quickmatch, and you have to reselect your next game after every match. Dunno who to blame, but I'm gonna assume Epic ruined this. LOVE this game, defiantly my most played game of the last 3 years, for those that haven't jumped in yet, man you're in for a treat. Stick with it, the fun comes in waves. Finding a good crew and getting into the triangle offense/defense rhythm is amazing. Still finding new strategies and tricks after playing for years. Congrats Psyonix. Hopefully Epic doesn't destroy what you've built.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Nice job on the OT. Did anyone get a chance to hop into the three tournaments that happened on Friday?
I did. Managed to win a game with a random. It's double elimination but I joined late so I was put directly into losers bracket. It's a very well done mode and had enough points to grab a box with some decent wheels. I could see it being very popular.

I hate that they removed quickmatch, and you have to reselect your next game after every match. Dunno who to blame, but I'm gonna assume Epic ruined this. LOVE this game, defiantly my most played game of the last 3 years, for those that haven't jumped in yet, man you're in for a treat. Stick with it, the fun comes in waves. Finding a good crew and getting into the triangle offense/defense rhythm is amazing. Still finding new strategies and tricks after playing for years. Congrats Psyonix. Hopefully Epic doesn't destroy what you've built.

That was actually Psyonix call. They have gotten a lot of feedback and said they will make some changes. Hopefully something in the middle would work.

ibtrf5iceco51.png

CrewShadow

Feb 5, 2018
I did. Managed to win a game with a random. It's double elimination but I joined late so I was put directly into losers bracket. It's a very well done mode and had enough points to grab a box with some decent wheels. I could see it being very popular.

I got into 3 Tournaments(the last two and one losers bracket). It was honestly fun, only were able to win the first two matches and lost right away on the second. I definetly think it will be very popular, all just depends on how far apart they will be time wise. I managed to get in total about 12k in those credits with only winning two matches. Getting the items is just like crates used to be, luckily enough you can trade up to the next level if you have 5 of the same rarity. Overall I'm excited to play for this season to start.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I know the game has SBMM, but I imagine there's gonna be tons of newbies with seasoned players and I can't wait to feel like I'm actually good at the game by stomping them.

Is that toxic? Probably.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Great OT! I randomly downloaded this game when I came across it on Game Pass and became addicted to it. Glad other people will have a chance to enjoy this great game.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Will check it out on the switch, would be cool to play this in bed. But I'm expecting it to feel awful after playing it on a silky 1440p144hz with an xbox controller for sooo long.

MontlyCure

Oct 27, 2017
FL
Any way to get my 2015 title from PS4 on PC? Do I need to actually launch the game on PS4 again or do titles not transfer between accounts? I linked my epic account to PS4 and PC but I only have 2017 and 2020 titles on PC.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Any way to get my 2015 title from PS4 on PC? Do I need to actually launch the game on PS4 again or do titles not transfer between accounts? I linked my epic account to PS4 and PC but I only have 2017 and 2020 titles on PC.
They do transfer over but I heard you may need to boot up the game on every device to populate your inventory.

mrpoopy

Oct 27, 2017
I hope we can still get all credits back from the rocket pass. I have been recycling my credits since last year.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Feeling drawn to play again. Installed it after not playing for a year or more. It's a black hole for me... Must resist...

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
Will I eventually have to re-learn the controls since I am using the Steam controller and accelerate/boost on the right trigger?

mrpoopy

Oct 27, 2017
Will they still want to update the steam version when f2p community gets huge? I have no idea.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but do you think it will always be on Steam?
According to this Psyonix Blog

"Once Rocket League goes free to play, anyone who already owns Rocket League on any platform (including Steam) will be able to play and enjoy the game with full support for future updates and features. However, the Steam version will no longer be available to download for new players. To put it simply, wherever you play now (including Steam), you'll still be able to play in the future. "

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
According to this Psyonix Blog

"Once Rocket League goes free to play, anyone who already owns Rocket League on any platform (including Steam) will be able to play and enjoy the game with full support for future updates and features. However, the Steam version will no longer be available to download for new players. To put it simply, wherever you play now (including Steam), you'll still be able to play in the future. "
I see, thank you. Well, time does not allow me to try and grab the highest rank, so if it eventually happens, fate has decided my highest rank to be C3 Div2 ;D

iosa

Oct 27, 2017
Toulouse, France
Can't wait, I'm a long time PS4 player that wouldn't make the jump to PC because of my inventory but now, I'm about to discover the real RL experience !

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
Wonderful OT. I'm more excited about the state of the game that I've ever been! I hope they iron out the small bugs and frame drops before f2p launches but otherwise the new additions are great. New rocket pass seems awesome, Harbinger looks like a beast and the tournaments are a welcome addition. Got to take part in one on friday and it was intense, although it was a shame to lose an evenly matched quarter final game in extra time.

I suggest everyone to give Rocket League a try this week, it's hands down my top 3 games ever. The game is totally unique: easy to learn but with infinite skill ceiling.

Also sorry for nitpicking but spotted one small error in the OT, it's Dropshot instead of Dropout :)

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
I wish they'd revert to the old patch before letting everyone in, they did some weird choices in the UI that removed some QOL improvements.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
I need to redownload this. How big is it nowadays? Not sure I have much space left on my PS4