dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/RL_Status/status/1711789725646802965

Player-to-Player Trading will be removed from Rocket League on December 5 at 4 p.m. PST.

We're making this change to align with Epic's overall approach to game cosmetics and item shop policies, where items aren't tradable, transferrable, or sellable. This opens up future plans for some Rocket League vehicles to come to other Epic games over time, supporting cross-game ownership.

Q: What do I do with my duplicate or unwanted items?

A: The Trade-In system for Core Items, Tournament Items, and Blueprints will allow players to continue trading in eligible duplicate or unwanted items to receive a random new item of higher rarity.

Q: What if I lent someone an item?

A: These actions are not supported by Psyonix and all trades are considered final. Our support team cannot help reverse trades.

Q: What about third-party trading websites or servers?

A: After December 5, there will be no way to trade items with any player or between accounts. Websites or servers advertising such services are fraudulent and have no connection to Psyonix or Epic Games.

Q: Will this undo any trades I've made in the past?

A: No, you will not lose any previously traded items when Player-to-Player Trading is removed on December 5.

www.rocketleague.com

Removing Player-to-Player Trading in December

Player-to-Player Trading will be removed later this year. Learn more below.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
We're making this change to align with Epic's overall approach to game cosmetics and item shop policies, where items aren't tradable, transferrable, or sellable

This is very blunt and transparent. That's as far as they can say, "Epic is making us doing this," without actually typing those words.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
I guess some people will lose a lot of money. Hopefully they'll keep promotional codes redeemable, I have a tournament wheel code that's worth at least $3000.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
When Epic bought Rocket League I freaked out then settled down. This shit here is gonna make the community revolt.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even realize it had trading, that's a rarity among non-Valve GaaS these days.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn they just said outright "we're doing this to force you to have to actually buy our shit"

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
This is going to affect two of the DLC trophies in the game - Swap Meet (trade and receive one or more items with another player in a single transaction) and Trade Secret (trade in five items of the same quality to receive an item of the next highest quality).

Some of the others like Storm Trooper and Budding Artist may be a bit tougher to get legit.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's really transparent they need money, if I was still playing removing a core feature like that would made me quit.
I wonder if Epic regret the purchase now.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Epic has done nothing good to RL since they bought it. Everything they've done has made the game worse. Removing from steam was the moment I knew that they would ruin the game.

Dado2

Mar 30, 2021
This opens up future plans for some Rocket League vehicles to come to other Epic games over time, supporting cross-game ownership.

I'm most curious about this bit of text. I don't know how removing trading satisfies this goal, but I have seen speculation that Fortnite Racing Mode coming next season was developed as Rocket League Racing. When is the next season of Fortnite supposed to start? Dec 6?

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
I've never cared about trading but this is very bad for the community... on top of all the other shit that's been bad for the Rocket League community for years.

• Communication - their last big heart to heart with the community is from almost 2 years ago iirc, where they basically said "we know we've been bad at communicating and will do better going forward 🥰" Well that obviously wasn't true
  • Rocket Pass and in general season updates have been considered a joke for a long time now. They provide terrible new maps (the newest one is basically a super low effort reskin, most new maps are removed from rotation after their into season because they're so shit and hated - some have been changed in the season they're introduced in), some car nobody cares about, and refuse to offer tangible updates like letting you play Limited Time Modes in private matches or offer better training tools or even a tenth of the content few online modders manage to pump out for the PC version all the time
  • RLCS is taking an EXTREMELY long break, all the way to next year (it's assumed, anyway, remember they don't communicate shit). Lots of financially failing orgs taking the opportunity to drop out, and there's (maybe baseless) speculation of the game being franchised which would be bad for the pro scene
  • While it didn't seem excessive, in the last epic layoffs we lost some social managers from Psyonix. I'm sure this will help with the communication issue
  • While they have no obligation to discuss the UE5 update and I'm sure it's a complicated situation to update an shares live, consistent experience like this, the community is pretty fucking sick of knowing it exists but having no updates. It certainly feels like the epic buyout destroyed the culture of interacting with the community of players (honestly think it might've started before that, but it's the general perception)
On the plus side, as much as everyone likes to say Rocket League is dying because all these issues... assuming rlgarage tracker is accurate, player numbers are largely the same. There's typically about 400k people playing it throughout the day, which is around what it's been since free to play initially settled.

But regardless the game feels like it's in bad shape, and this newest measure is going to offer NO confidence. It reeks of desperation at a time where we've basically gone years of being on edge wondering when things will get better.

Rocket League is my favorite game of all time, please don't fuck it up Epic.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
This is going to affect two of the DLC trophies in the game - Swap Meet (trade and receive one or more items with another player in a single transaction) and Trade Secret (trade in five items of the same quality to receive an item of the next highest quality).
I've traded before but I don't have these achievements yet for some reason. Were they added at a later date perhaps?

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
While this doesn't matter to me too much, I have traded with some random and did buy a Twinzer off eBay for a few bucks. Rocket League is the only game me and my friends play consistently, and I feel like they keep giving me incentive to leave.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
It's been pathetic to see first the keys and now trading removed while the item shop prices are ridiculous, have there been any actual positive changes to this game since its acquisition?

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
I've never cared about trading but this is very bad for the community... on top of all the other shit that's been bad for the Rocket League community for years.

• Communication - their last big heart to heart with the community is from almost 2 years ago iirc, where they basically said "we know we've been bad at communicating and will do better going forward 🥰" Well that obviously wasn't true
  • Rocket Pass and in general season updates have been considered a joke for a long time now. They provide terrible new maps (the newest one is basically a super low effort reskin, most new maps are removed from rotation after their into season because they're so shit and hated - some have been changed in the season they're introduced in), some car nobody cares about, and refuse to offer tangible updates like letting you play Limited Time Modes in private matches or offer better training tools or even a tenth of the content few online modders manage to pump out for the PC version all the time
  • RLCS is taking an EXTREMELY long break, all the way to next year (it's assumed, anyway, remember they don't communicate shit). Lots of financially failing orgs taking the opportunity to drop out, and there's (maybe baseless) speculation of the game being franchised which would be bad for the pro scene
  • While it didn't seem excessive, in the last epic layoffs we lost some social managers from Psyonix. I'm sure this will help with the communication issue
  • While they have no obligation to discuss the UE5 update and I'm sure it's a complicated situation to update an shares live, consistent experience like this, the community is pretty fucking sick of knowing it exists but having no updates. It certainly feels like the epic buyout destroyed the culture of interacting with the community of players (honestly think it might've started before that, but it's the general perception)
On the plus side, as much as everyone likes to say Rocket League is dying because all these issues... assuming rlgarage tracker is accurate, player numbers are largely the same. There's typically about 400k people playing it throughout the day, which is around what it's been since free to play initially settled.

But regardless the game feels like it's in bad shape, and this newest measure is going to offer NO confidence. It reeks of desperation at a time where we've basically gone years of being on edge wondering when things will get better.

Rocket League is my favorite game of all time, please don't fuck it up Epic.
They fucked it up years ago.

They just reskin maps and call it a day most seasons, and I'll never forgive them for making it so I couldn't use the T-Rex goal explosion on my Skyline YEARS after the fucking thing came out.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018

Some of the others like Storm Trooper and Budding Artist may be a bit tougher to get legit.

Unless I'm misunderstanding this would "only" affect that first trophy, trading in items is an in game inventory mechanic that has nothing to do with trading with other players. It's referred to in the first Q&A as not changing with this update.

They just reskin maps and call it a day most seasons, and I'll never forgive them for making it so I couldn't use the T-Rex goal explosion on my Skyline YEARS after the fucking thing came out.

That's fucking nuts? I used to see that explosion used a lot, did they force it to only working with the Jurassic Park jeep? Dumb ass Psyonix. Also took a moment to smile and remember that bundle cost $2 in 2018, whereas buying a black market goal explosion, new vehicle, toppers and banners these days would like sell for $30+ individually in today's Rocket League. I wonder why more people aren't buying things in the item shop? 🤔

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I got over a thousand hours in this game and had zero clue trading was a thing lmao

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017

They did WHAT?

Unforgivable. That's one of the best ones 😥

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Epic is such an embarrassing publishing house when it comes to how blatantly they "tighten the purse strings" (to the mild detriment of existing games) now that the financial problems have been revealed.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
This is very blunt and transparent. That's as far as they can say, "Epic is making us doing this," without actually typing those words.

Yep. It's wisely worded to basically say "Direct your hate to Epic, not us. We did not want this".

I have no doubt the devs wanted no part of this and basically had a gun put to their head by Epic, in their desperate greed to wring out every cent possible from their owned IP's since they're in free fall.

I just hope everyone gets the message from this and rightfully direct their anger and hate towards Epic, and not the devs.

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh this is the kind of thing Psyonix would have done without Epic influence, you only need to look at how microtransactions were handled before Epic ownership.

vicegold

Oct 27, 2017
I'm the one responsible building that tracker, I can guarantee you it's accurate, but it obviously sucks for us, as 90% of our traffic is trading. End of an era for me.

Last edited:

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I'm the one responsible building that tracker, I can guarantee you it's accurate, but it obviously sucks for us, as 90% of our traffic is trading. End of an era for me.
Sorry to hear it bud :( Saw you in the Reddit thread but didn't realize you would be on Era as well. I figured this would be the death knell of the site and am sorry this is happening for you (and everyone else it'll absolutely negatively affect). I only recently found your site because of the number tracking (I was paying attention to how popular knockout bash was so I can hate Psyonix not adding it to the game in a more accessible manner - it seemed to frequently be the third most popular mode after ranked and casual 2s when I checked) and was just super impressed with the site in general. Hope you land on your feet after this BS. This sucks for fans but it's even worse for people like you that have worked so hard to build a community and a livelihood around that community.

(No big deal but you quoted the wrong person with my comment by the way)

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
The only reason I ever traded is because it felt impossible to get the stuff I actually wanted otherwise. It was an absolute chore, but it surely beat just checking the store everyday and hoping.

vicegold

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to hear it bud :( Saw you in the Reddit thread but didn't realize you would be on Era as well. I figured this would be the death knell of the site and am sorry this is happening for you (and everyone else it'll absolutely negatively affect). I only recently found your site because of the number tracking (I was paying attention to how popular knockout bash was so I can hate Psyonix not adding it to the game in a more accessible manner - it seemed to frequently be the third most popular mode after ranked and casual 2s when I checked) and was just super impressed with the site in general. Hope you land on your feet after this BS. This sucks for fans but it's even worse for people like you that have worked so hard to build a community and a livelihood around that community.

(No big deal but you quoted the wrong person with my comment by the way)
Thank you for your kind words and sorry for the messed up quote, fixed that now.

I really hope this backfires for Psyonix/Epic, but I don't have much hope. They'll probably announce another boring licensed items update next week and people forget.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Unless I'm misunderstanding this would "only" affect that first trophy, trading in items is an in game inventory mechanic that has nothing to do with trading with other players. It's referred to in the first Q&A as not changing with this update.

At the time I did Trade Secrets trophy, it could be obtained in player to player trade, but the other player had to give you the higher grade item as part of the trade.

I don't ever remember the trade-in mechanic until seeing it much later so probably you're right.

I really wonder if Rocket League's days are numbered. I'm going to be working on the last two trophies I need for the 100% to be on the safe side.

ozfunghi

Oct 25, 2017
I only got into RL trading recently. Like a month ago. I had to pay €4.50 to enable trading. Is Epic going to reimburse me? They can have the 500 credits that came with it.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The trade it system sucks, a lot of times I offer up a bunch of good stuff like blue and purple blueprints I don't want and get a common topper in return.

Improve that system before taking away, another, let alone blueprints being way too expensive to craft and earnings credits being way too slow even with the pass.