Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5lq4Q7YAjE

www.theverge.com

The Asus ROG Ally handheld gaming PC is real, not an April Fools’ joke

No fooling — but no specs or price, either.

The ROG Ally has a seven-inch 16:9 display with 1920 x 1080 resolution, 500 nits of brightness, and a 120HZ refresh rate, compared to the Steam Deck specs, which are listed as a seven-inch 16:10 display at 1280 x 800 resolution, 400 nits of brightness, and a 60Hz refresh rate.
I want more of these, but they need to think about adding alternative control interfaces built into the system. Maybenot a whole touch pad but maybe a nipple and some back buttons. Plus it is is ROG, you know it will cost 2 souls and a leg

Dave2d Handheld

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drLZxyv79Oo

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Seems like it'll be pricey as hell but I do like that it has a 16:9 display, Windows with good looking dashboard for all your launchers, and how quiet it is. I just want that eGPU connector, or something similar to it, on the next Steam Deck.

Seems like it'll be pricey as hell but I do like that it has a 16:9 display, Windows with good looking dashboard for all your launchers, and how quiet it is. I just want that eGPU connector, or something similar to it, on the next Steam Deck.
Dave2D says it's apparently very appealing price point.

However my biggest question is the release date because we keep seeing these handhelds with no release dates and being kept shown at performance expos all the time. Sick and tired of that nonsense.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
>1080p

rip battery life
80s kids know
1200px-Sega-Game-Gear-WB.png

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021

However my biggest question is the release date because we keep seeing these handhelds with no release dates and being kept shown at performance expos all the time. Sick and tired of that nonsense.
Dave doesn't know the price point. He's just assuming because they said it would be available at Best Buy and that they don't do low volume products so ASUS expects it to sell well, which means it likely has an appealing price point. I don't know though...

jack.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather have 720p and that d-pad looks like ass but otherwise, this thing seems like it could be pretty good.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017

In the time you you typed this post 3 more models of the Aya neo has been announced

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know that ROG was an initialism. I've always pronounced it like an acronym.

So I can install my GOG games on this?

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Windows, ick. I've used Armoury Crate enough on my PC to know that the software side of things, at least what's pre-installed on the device, is going to be ass.

I don't get why everyone seems to hate the Deck having an 800p screen. That's turned out to be a lifesaver for me in some games with weird resolutions that can't scale to 720p or 1080p well, like Rainworld.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
However, in our experience, they've relied on an AMD 6800U chipset instead of a custom design and generally lack the right combination of horsepower and efficiency that we want to see from handheld gaming machines.
I swear the Verge reporter doesn't understand how crippled is the Steam Deck CPU for having 4 cores only when CPU matters a ton more in low resolutions.

AMD doesn't do custom unless you are going to buy millions, but then again, it's the iVerge.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Windows, ick. I've used Armoury Crate enough on my PC to know that the software side of things, at least what's pre-installed on the device, is going to be ass.

I don't get why everyone seems to hate the Deck having an 800p screen. That's turned out to be a lifesaver for me in some games with weird resolutions that can't scale to 720p or 1080p well, like Rainworld.

Armoury Crate is a mess of a software but I will give it credit that it causes me way less issues than iCUE or the Lian Li fan/RGB controller.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017

You also squeeze out a bit more performance by turning down bigger games

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I prefer asymmetrical sticks on my controllers, but on handhelds where the sides are vertical straight up and down, they should not be offset due to where your thumbs land. The switch cramps my hand having to contort my thumb and rotate my hand to hit the sticks. It is better with and ergonomic attachment but it is not the most convenient.

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
Looks interesting and I might bite depending on battery life and price. I'm a bit lukewarm on the steamdeck and still waiting to see what comes next.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
ROG XG Mobile eGPU? That's interesting, seeing as Oculink on the Win Max 2 allows you to have only a 10% performance penalty vs a full desktop for external using PCIe Gen4 x4.

This will make it interesting. Unfortunately Destiny 2 sucks ass on anything less than 10" >.<

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Happy to eat crow on this, but I'd be very surprised if the starter model of this is < $800. Most of these handheld Windows devices are $1k+.

Oct 29, 2017
If the 120Hz display is VRR , that's a gamechanger. Framerates lower than 60 will benefit immensely. The Deck needs this too.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I'm always down for more high-performance handhelds, that d-pad looks squishy as hell though.
Lmao at the actor casually pulling the handheld out of his jacket pocket, those are some big pockets.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
It's like all these companies that are big enough to somewhat compete saw the Deck success and then made hand held. Logitech launches a $350 cloud one, Razer launches a $400 ARM one a year after the Deck and now Asus seems to think they have to one up the Deck everywhere (power, resolution, screen, OS) and will result in pricing themselves out of the market.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Performance and cost will be interesting. Lack of touchpads is a bummer as that has been a great feature for the deck for me.

topplehat

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
These feel like a bunch of specs thrown at a wall - a screen like that will chew up battery in no time, and the hardware won't be there to back it up.

This is what I really appreciated about the Steam Deck - it seemed thought out and that all the hardware was designed for a certain performance level.

Oct 25, 2017
It's good to see more products in this space, but I'm just never going to buy a PC handheld that doesn't have touchpads. It's frustrating that only Valve is making a handheld that can actually play the games I want to play.

Kline

AVALANCHE
Sep 15, 2022
Will come down to price of course. There's countless Windows handhelds around these days - many objectively better than the Deck, but none that can match it's price point.

On that note, yes the 1080p screen is appealing for a handheld. I have a Deck, but I expressly use my Ayn Odin Lite for things like Game Pass, GFN, or even watching anime, because it can push double the pixels with ease. Then again, it's Android so it has battery for days.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Oh windows based, that mean native gamepass gaming? Hmm that might be interesting.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
1080p and 120Hz just don't make sense on a gaming-focused handheld.
I always want 120hz on any device that is capable of streaming gameplay. Moonlight at 120hz is *chef's kiss*
I'd argue not in phones either but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
General usage (scrolling) on a 120hz display feels much much nicer. It's one of those things you get used to and don't realize how nice it is until it's gone. It's not about gameplay. Lol.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
  • bad ergonomics - shallow grip, menu buttons out of reach. Single USB port!
  • rocker dpad - why copy the 360s terrible dpad
  • dual fans plus higher refresh/resolution/brightness screen - huge battery drain
  • Windows instead of SteamOS - no suspend + license fee
DOA

Tsunami561

Mar 7, 2023
This sounds like one of those other handhelds that are on paper way more powerfull than the deck but then is twice the price and the user experience sucks

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Looks interesting, and I'm always happy to see new entrants into this space, as it gives people more options. Specifically, if they are selling this in B&M retail stores, it'll open the market to people who aren't comfortable ordering a Steam Deck (for whatever reason), or getting a Chinese/HK manufactured device of unknown quality. (I have a GPD device and think its awesome)

The resolution and refresh rates sound "ambitious", but if it's anything like the GPD I have, you'll be able to knock the refresh rate down to 40hz, and do the usual FSR resolution scaling to save on performance. I'd be surprised if a demanding game lasted more than 2 hours on a single charge though - that just seems to be the norm with the current tech, but its enough for a commute, or a long train journey if you are happy playing 2D stuff.

As for it using windows, ehhh, It's the easiest way forward right now. Yes it takes a while to boot or come out of standby compared to SteamOS, and the UI kinda sucks on a small screen, but it has zero compatibility issues and allows every current launcher straight out of the box, so you get every advantage of a full PC with only a couple minor downsides.

My only negative with what I've seen so far, is the size. It's only a shave smaller than the Steam Deck, which is already a chunky bugger. I'd have liked it to be more like the GPD Win 4. Oh well.