• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why does Congress, specifically congressional members involved in this exact same bullshit, have any say on their own punishment?

Couldnt and shouldn't the Dept. Of Justice start rounding these treasonous vipers up once the evidence is clear? I mean they are even doing their damndest to obstruct the investigation itself.
Because the Founding Father's didn't expect one half of the nation and their party of choice to embrace facism and the other side to be spineless cowards.

Had you gone back in time and asked them what to do in this scenario they would have gone "Just revolt lol"

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Because the Founding Father's didn't expect one half of the nation and their party of choice to embrace facism and the other side to be spineless cowards.

Had you gone back in time and asked them what to do in this scenario they would have gone "Just revolt lol"
Tbh didn't the founders not even anticipate parties? They're a bit behind the curve really.

Alternatively they might have thought the rich landowners class which they were a part of would be safe from harm, as te goal of such laws, which I mean, for certain members of this group did held true

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly at this point, I think the Congesssional committee should end and recommend that those involved with the insurrection be given criminal charges and the military should take over the investigation.

Every Republican in Congress and protestor who attacked the Capitol that participated should be considered enemy combatants and no different than a foreign country attacking the US. Their citizenship should be stripped as well as their title and rank in Congress. If they don't like that, well they need to stop breaking the law and give up their sources. The Republicans are more scared of their base than any consequences from DOJ or Congress.

Otherwise, the next time there's an election and Republicans lose, they won't recognize the result and will continue to presume office or worse and there's another attack to prevent certification.

Bill Maher's comparison to 9/11 in this case is accurate.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Gosh, seems like a pretty severe assault on our democracy. Maybe we should, like, hold people accountable or whatever.

Nothing too drastic. We wouldn't want anybody to miss brunch or a golf game.

Honestly at this point, I think the Congesssional committee should end and recommend that those involved with the insurrection be given criminal charges and the military should take over the investigation.

Every Republican in Congress and protestor who attacked the Capitol that participated should be considered enemy combatants and no different than a foreign country attacking the US. Their citizenship should be stripped as well as their title and rank in Congress. If they don't like that, well they need to stop breaking the law and give up their sources. The Republicans are more scared of their base than any consequences from DOJ or Congress.

Otherwise, the next time there's an election and Republicans lose, they won't recognize the result and will continue to presume office or worse and there's another attack to prevent certification.

Absolutely.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
We continue to normalize that behavior. I couldn't be in the same building with these people, let alone work with them.

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
Tbh didn't the founders not even anticipate parties? They're a bit behind the curve really.

Alternatively they might have thought the rich landowners class which they were a part of would be safe from harm, as te goal of such laws, which I mean, for certain members of this group did held true

More likely the later given you had Whigs and Tories way earlier than US Congress.

phranc

Nov 13, 2017

I like the way you think but won't hold my breath waiting for anything meaningful to happen.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
More likely the later given you had Whigs and Tories way earlier than US Congress.
Aye, they had parties before Congress, and before the Founders, but the Founders + Washington I thought were generally creating a country that, in their mind, straight up wasn't going to have political parties/factionalism.

They formed anyway, but that wasn't in the first steps of making the country.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
I like the way you think but won't hold my breath waiting for anything meaningful to happen.

I know - unfortunately, this is how extrajudicial efforts happen and how people take it on themselves to act outside the laws. I think Democrats failing to view those on the opposite side of the aisle as the enemy to the rule of law will be their undoing. We already have Republicans sympathetic to the Oath Keepers/Proud Boys/white nationalist groups and they are running for office. Republicans will become even more radicalized and extreme; they aren't far removed from initiating violence against Democrats in power or against Democrat voters.

We're going to see another attempt at a coup in 2024, it will succeed, and Democrats will have failed to protect democracy before it begun. All because they want to turn back the clock and try to 'reach across the aisle' and expect the current Republicans to cooperate in this investigation of the insurrection.

NeoGold123

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Eh, Washington kindof saw it coming.

"However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion."

Aya

I do understand the frustration over these past years as nothing meaningful materialized in the form of repercussions (at the very least political) towards Trump and the toxic shits supporting and enabling him. I really do and I share the feeling. But thinking more about it, isn't this kind of apathy seen in the responses here, where most of us publicly state that we don't expect anything to come out of any investigation into the 6th of January and all the vile shit that happened during his years in office, isn't this apathy quietly helping them? I get everyone got tired of expecting meaningful results coming from investigations, starting with Muller and getting to where we currently are with the House committee investigating the insurrection. But this apathy and negative mindset actually helps these bastards. It's not a feeling found only on resetera, it's pervasive, it adds up and it's spread everywhere. I wish people would use their disillusionment as fuel to become louder and demand with even more determination results and repercussions.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do understand the frustration over these past years as nothing meaningful materialized in the form of repercussions (at the very least political) towards Trump and the toxic shits supporting and enabling him. I really do and I share the feeling. But thinking more about it, isn't this kind of apathy seen in the responses here, where most of us publicly state that we don't expect anything to come out of any investigation into the 6th of January and all the vile shit that happened during his years in office, isn't this apathy quietly helping them? I get everyone got tired of expecting meaningful results coming from investigations, starting with Muller and getting to where we currently are with the House committee investigating the insurrection. But this apathy and negative mindset actually helps these bastards. It's not a feeling found only on resetera, it's pervasive, it adds up and it's spread everywhere. I wish people would use their disillusionment as fuel to become louder and demand with even more determination results and repercussions.
I mean eventually the complete spinelessness of the Dems just makes it difficult to expect anything to get done.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
I fear that as we pass 1 year since the event, it will fall further into obscurity with the public. People will forget or just simply not care we came really close to full on coup.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Why does Congress, specifically congressional members involved in this exact same bullshit, have any say on their own punishment?

Couldnt and shouldn't the Dept. Of Justice start rounding these treasonous vipers up once the evidence is clear? I mean they are even doing their damndest to obstruct the investigation itself.

They can. I'm assuming a lot of it is that the Biden admin and the DoJ are worried about what will happen if they start arresting members of the opposite party.

"Law and order" is code for "brutalize minorities."

This.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020

It's not apathy, it's just a recognition of reality. No one posting here has the power to do anything. It's up to those with power to do, all the outrage has already come.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017

This is some high horse rhetoric. People have been vocal and angry throughout Trump's tenure. But the best opportunity for change that is offered to us is to show up for elections, and that's what we did. And that's what is available the next round.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
To be honest, it really hasn't.

People aren't at Congresspeople's offices or the White House daily up in arms about this. Most people have moved on, sadly.

You mean the very Congresspeople who were involved in it? The only way to change that is to vote em out. There are countless people in this country who want these vile people as their representatives and to endorse these vile acts.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
You mean the very Congresspeople who were involved in it? The only way to change that is to vote em out. There are countless people in this country who want these vile people as their representatives and to endorse these vile acts.

I mean the Dem Congresspeople on the committees that have the power to hold them accountable and the White House who has the same power.

Americans no longer know how to keep up outrage.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
To be honest, it really hasn't.

People aren't at Congresspeople's offices or the White House daily up in arms about this. Most people have moved on, sadly.

Even if we didn't see it here in that direct fashion, we saw it during the George Floyd protests last year. Everyone knows the deal. As I said, it's up to those in power and with the ability to act. Nothing is going to cut it at this point from "outrage" unless that outrage turns to violence or real threat of violence. That is simply where we are at.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Even if we didn't see it here in that direct fashion, we saw it during the George Floyd protests last year. Everyone knows the deal. As I said, it's up to those in power and with the ability to act. Nothing is going to cut it at this point from "outrage" unless that outrage turns to violence or real threat of violence. That is simply where we are at.

What exactly did we see during George Floyd protests that has to do with this?

Or if the outrage is at the correct people's doors.

But the "power" is granted through the balance of the House and Senate as we so readily saw during the impeachment proceedings. And how do you change that? Elections.

The power of the White House and DoJ is not granted through that balance.

The power of the House is already in favor of the Dems. They can use it now.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017

And we're seeing it through this investigation. But that's all they can do for now no matter how much we scream.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
And we're seeing it through this investigation. But that's all they can do for now no matter how much we scream.

No it isn't. The DoJ can investigate the Congresspeople. Maybe they will but that's yet to be seen.

The Committee could have use subpoena power on any of these Congresspeople named already. This information isn't exactly new especially in regards to Greene.

My bet? They are wary of holding current Congresspeople in contempt due to political implications.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020

Okay, it's definitely the fault of the American public and their lack of "outrage." It has never in history, even very recent history, proven that "outrage," even over an extended period resulted in no real political change. If that's what we're going with, that's what we're going with

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
No it isn't. The DoJ can investigate the Congresspeople. Maybe they will but that's yet to be seen.

The Committee could have use subpoena power on any of these Congresspeople named already. This information isn't exactly new especially in regards to Greene.

My bet? They are wary of holding current Congresspeople in contempt due to political implications.

And we're back to the elections. Again, these people are representing the interests of citizens, no matter how vile their interests are.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Okay, it's definitely the fault of the American public and their lack of "outrage." It has never in history, even very recent history, proven that "outrage," even over an extended period resulted in no real political change. If that's what we're going with, that's what we're going with

I've not said this is the fault of the American people.

I'm saying there needs to be constant outrage. It gets people in power to act. This doesn't mean the people in power aren't at fault for not holding others accountable.

And we're back to the elections. Again, these people are representing the interests of citizens, no matter how vile their interests are.

By political implications, I meant political violence. Not reelection. The Dems, likely, won't lose reelection bids for holding people accountable.

julian

Oct 27, 2017

This thread is literally about the House investigation.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020

I'm saying there needs to be constant outrage. It gets people in power to act. This doesn't mean the people in power aren't at fault for not holding others accountable.

If you can't tell that simple outrage, no matter how constant or loud, isn't going to do anything in this country at the point we're reached than there's nothing left to say about it probably.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
This thread is literally about the House investigation.

I agree. Yet the House hasn't used their subpoena power on Congresspeople we already know met with "protest" organizers.

If you can't tell that simple outrage, no matter how constant or loud, isn't going to do anything in this country at the point we're reached than there's nothing left to say about it probably.

If that's the case, then none of this matters anyway.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017

By political implications, I meant political violence. Not reelection. The Dems, likely, won't lose reelection bids for holding people accountable.

I mean I get your point and we both want the same thing. But outrage already exists on both sides. Heck we're talking about people who stormed the capitol (and under false pretenses nonetheless). Even if we oust these people the outrage will still exist and more MTGs will be elected. The battle is in the voters' hands.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
davonne-rogers-pretends-to-be-shocked.gif

Nov 27, 2017
California
Nothing will happen is the saddest and hilarious part
No shit this was organized, they literally gave guided tours of the entire building

We are really fucked

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I agree. Yet the House hasn't used their subpoena power on Congresspeople we already know met with "protest" organizers.
Bannon has been subpoenaed and criminal contempt referred.

I understand the strategy of not starting with Congresspeople, they have a better ability to campaign in public against the chargers. You dont need to subpoena them first, start with other folks and build your case working up the legislative chain. You flip a few staffers for the congress members and things get much easier than if a congress member could co-ordinate with their staffers.

I will concur that I would have preferred expelling folks objecting to the results from the body after insurrection actually occurred. Also, I'm would have preferred the option to impeach Trump that night.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Bannon has been subpoenaed and criminal contempt referred.

I understand the strategy of not starting with Congresspeople, they have a better ability to campaign in public against the chargers. You dont need to subpoena them first, start with other folks and build your case working up the legislative chain. You flip a few staffers for the congress members and things get much easier than if a congress member could co-ordinate with their staffers.

I will concur that I would have preferred expelling folks objecting to the results from the body after insurrection actually occurred. Also, I'm would have preferred the option to impeach Trump that night.

Bannon is not a Congressperson.

They may still subpoena the Congresspeople but I'm not sure they will.

In MTG's case, we already knew she met with organizers. There is no real reason to wait to subpoena her other than optics, really.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
the ball rolls very slowly. We have known for a long time these people had some inside help from congress people. We will see what comes of it.

sherrill.house.gov

Rep. Sherrill Leads Members in Requesting Investigation Into Suspicious Activity in Capitol Complex on January 5, 2021

Washington, DC -- Representative Mikie Sherrill (NJ-11) today led over 30 Members of Congress in requesting an investigation from the Acting House Sergeant at Arms, Acting Senate Sergeant at Arms, and United States Capitol Police into the suspicious behavior and access given to visitors to the...

"Many of the Members who signed this letter, including those of us who have served in the military and are trained to recognize suspicious activity, as well as various members of our staff, witnessed an extremely high number of outside groups in the complex on Tuesday, January 5," wrote the Members. "This is unusual for several reasons, including the fact that access to the Capitol Complex has been restricted since public tours ended in March of last year due to the pandemic.

"The tours being conducted on Tuesday, January 5, were a noticeable and concerning departure from the procedures in place as of March 2020 that limited the number of visitors to the Capitol. These tours were so concerning that they were reported to the Sergeant at Arms on January 5."

In other words, there is official video evidence, assuming that it was not destroyed.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

This is what *should* happen. It won't, but it should.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
I see the "nothing will happen" crew is here to preemptively let these traitors off the hook. I get that perpetual defeatism is a popular coping mechanism, but all it does is empower those who seek to escape justice.

I agree that none of these people will see a jail cell, but that doesn't mean we should stop raising hell about it.

Hilary was never locked up over her email server, but the constant House investigations DID weaken her significantly. Learn from this.

Expose the Jan 6 traitors. Hound them with this, and keep it in the headlines for as long as we can.

But this apathy and negative mindset actually helps these bastards.
Yeah, but bed-wetting requires zero effort and it helps people cope. Staying engaged is haaard.

It's easier to doompost and indirectly assist Republicans with their messaging.

Last edited:

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While Congress probably wouldn't get enough votes to expel them, criminal charges and conviction might? You surely can't hold office if you're a convicted criminal......

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could Biden use the insurrection act to simply send in the national guard to arrest the insurrectionists completely legally? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insurrection_Act_of_1807

If there aren't real consequences from this then our country is already done for. Without consequences there's absolutely nothing to stop worse things happening in the future.

There won't be any consequences and the writing has been on the wall for this country since Trump was elected.

I think we are rapidly nearing nearing the just revolt option as being our only chance of staving off the total collapse of this country.

Last edited:

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
I see the "nothing will happen" crew is here to preemptively let these traitors off the hook. I get that perpetual defeatism is a popular coping mechanism, but all it does is empower those who seek to escape justice.

I agree that none of these people will see a jail cell, but that doesn't mean we should stop raising hell about it.

Hilary was never locked up over her email server, but the constant House investigations DID weaken her significantly.

Expose the Jan 6 traitors. Hound them with this, and keep it in the headlines for as long as we can.

What does this even mean? You are aware that us common folk have absolutely no say in the outcome right?