Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tu...i-edwards-matthew-patrick-game-theorists/amp/

One of the people most responsible for the content on Matthew Patrick's network of YouTube channels has passed away. Ronnie "Oni" Edwards, who edited videos for hubs like The Game Theorists, passed away on July 4 at the age of 25. According to Patrick, Edwards' death has been ruled a suicide.

Edwards was one of the first employees Patrick ever hired for his YouTube-centric business, and the editor helped The Game Theorists develop its signature visual style, which involves kinetic, 2D animations. In remembering his departed comrade, a tearful Patrick noted the significant contribution Edwards made to YouTube culture as a whole.

Matt Pat released a very emotional and powerful video about Ronnie and his contributions to The Game Theorists and to him as a friend:

I was really big into Game Theory back in the day and Ronnie's style of editing was super unique and interesting so it's so jarring to find out that he passed away. Please, PLEASE, take some time out of your day to check up on your family and friends. Be that force of positivity and support that you may not know they need.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn. I don't watch the show but that's terrible to hear.

My thoughts to his friends and family and I hope he rests in peace.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
That's so heartbreaking, I loved the editing of Game Theory. May he rest in peace. :(

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
May he rest in peace. Always try to confide in and be there for your friends and family because you never know who just needs somebody to talk to.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Wasn't there a video attacking him for smth that happened at E3 without any real evidence? I remember the huge backlash he received because of that....it's a really messed up world, my thoughts and prayers....

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
RIP

Game theory was a pioneer in YouTube gaming and media analysis. Their style clearly influenced many others.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That sucks so much :( I remember when i use to watch GT all the time, he'd show up in alot of the slightly earlier videos and found out thst he was editing alot of the videos together and had some content of his own, this is really tragic

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Terrible that it came to this, the guy obviously had a lot of talent and people that cared for him. Hopefully others will see thats its okay to talk to others, maybe something positive can come out of this

Wasn't there a video attacking him for smth that happened at E3 without any real evidence? I remember the huge backlash he received because of that....it's a really messed up world, my thoughts and prayers....

ya Matpat actually discussed this a bit in a tweet

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017

I really hope that this whole thing isn't what pushed him to take his life. That would be really sad...

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Man. I was just watching a couple of episodes from a long break away from checking in on game theory. I was thinking how detailed the editing was and how Id never have been that detailed with my own editing work.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
RIP

Game Theory has been a favorite to watch for years and Ronnie's editing was very unique, added a ton of character to the channel.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
That thumbnail alone is heartbreaking. Awful, awful news. I hope his loved ones are okay.

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Edwards released a refutation to the allegations... right before his suicide.

EDIT: not trying to start anything here or imply anything, it's just harrowing

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
he did great work as the editor and his small show he had going for a little bit was great!

he will be missed.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
I have a good friend who's autistic and wears a GameTheory shirt almost every day, I don't know how he's going to take it because he doesn't take stuff like that easily. People may not love GameTheory as much, but they have some loyal fans who loved their videos.

Oct 26, 2017
Ronnie and his Digressing and Sidequesting stuff was the best of that channel and was sad that he didn't make more of those. His editing and animation was neat stuff. Hearing this news earlier today was heartbreaking.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Despite being a fan of Game Theory, I never knew who he was until now. Still very, very sad to hear someone taking their life at such a young age though.

May he rest in peace and hopefully his family pulls through. Awful news to hear. :(

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
He was incredibly talented and he helped make Game Theory as enjoyable to to watch as it was. Also his Digressing and Sidequesting series on the GT channel was a fantastic and highly recommended series of video essays about games and gaming culture.

It's always tragic when someone chooses to take their own life, the closest friend I've ever know did the same. It seems like it's almost also the smarted most talented most and most love, but depression doesn't give a shit.

Depression is serious shit, it can make what seems like the worst idea imaginable seem preferential to living with that nagging nawing at the back of your head feeling THAT WILL JUST NOT GO AWAY.

I've been there, I know that feeling. It's awful.

Rest In Peace.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. I only knew about this channel due to the FNAF videos.
Damn. Way too young... RIP.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This happened three weeks ago. I know why they chose to abstain from sharing until now but holy shit they still kept making videos and basically pretended like everything was fine.

Anyway Game Theory had really good editing and he really gave the videos such a unique vibe. May he rest in peace.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This happened three weeks ago. I know why they chose to abstain from sharing until now but holy shit they still kept making videos and basically pretended like everything was fine.

Anyway Game Theory had really good editing and he really gave the videos such a unique vibe. May he rest in peace.

It is explained in the first half of the video. They wanted to get permission from Ronnie's family, which they didn't receive because of his relationship with his family. So as news started to leak, they decided to make this video now.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017

What did you expect them to do? You can't just shut down a business while waiting for his family to announce his passing.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Matt Patt was trying so hard to be upbeat and positive while crying/grieving in the video that he came off as disingenuous. I don't blame him, this video must be very hard to do especially since his child is or about to be born. He must be going through a rollercoaster of emotions right now. Must be a very confusing time, I just wish he gave himself more time.

Rest in peace Ronnie your talent won't go unnotice.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Based on things I've heard from MatPat and others it's likely he was suffering from Depression and maybe mild autism, which always hurts.

Seriously, people, get a mental illness/autism diagnosis. It's confidential, it helps you learn about yourself, and it can get you the tools and treatment to live a better life.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What did you expect them to do? You can't just shut down a business while waiting for his family to announce his passing.
I have no idea and I've been in that situation very recently where my boss died and we basically had to get back to work so I get it. If his relationship with his family was as bad as it is, you have a core member of your team, and legions of GT fans then I guess they should've announced it sooner? Probably after a week and not three and I'm glad they were trying to respect the family it just sort clouds the recent videos knowing they were producing content in the wake of someone's suicide.

Voxl

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea and I've been in that situation very recently where my boss died and we basically had to get back to work so I get it. If his relationship with his family was as bad as it is, you have a core member of your team, and legions of GT fans then I guess they should've announced it sooner? Probably after a week and not three and I'm glad they were trying to respect the family it just sort clouds the recent videos knowing they were producing content in the wake of someone's suicide.
Matt was in no position to decide when its time or not. Even when the relationship between ronnie and his family had been rocky, it must have been a shock for them. So what do you expect? Matt being like "you better hurry up sorting your feelings cause I got a business to run and people need to know." it was the right to wait that long.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017

I know I would be upset to find out a family member died because a coworker announced it to the internet. Matt did the right thing and respected the family to give them time to announce the death on their own. In that time, he needs to keep his business going. He's not the only one being paid from his channel. Not to mention that if he stopped posting content without an explanation, then the internet would have started suspecting something and doing some digging on their own. Matt even states in the video that news of Ronnie's death was starting to make its way to the public which is part of the reason why he made the video.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA

Generally businesses don't shut down due to a loss on their team, unfortunately, that's not a luxury in the business world. Considering the circumstances surrounding the death, I really don't understand your criticism at all. They didn't announce anything out of respect for the family, though I'm sure they have been grieving ever since his passing.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This whole thing is super heartbreaking. RIP.

C'mon dude, the videos were probably ready before Ronnie died. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a bunch of videos ready just waiting to be released, specially considering Matt's wife was about to give birth. Be reasonable.

Tamath

Oct 31, 2017
Vienna, Austria
I watched MatPats video on Ronnie's passing last night, a very raw and powerful video. I also used to watch D&S back in the day until it was put on hiatus, and I still watch GT to this day. This is a real shame and my condolences to Matthew and the GT team.

Also, I'm not surprised they kept making videos in the intervening weeks. One way of dealing with grief is to keep yourself busy and they probably wanted to push on for Ronnie himself.

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma

They apparently recorded and editing a bunch of content ahead of time do to the impending birth of Matpats child(who was born around the time Ronnie's body was found ).
There is probably actually some videos Ronnie worked on still in the pipeline do to that.
I imagine the birth made this even harder for them to handle this.