• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Imagine having one of your closest friends commit suicide just a couple of days before the birth of your first child.

This must be devastating. This was a powerful video.

R.I.P Ronny

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this video earlier today and wondered why there wasn't a thread for it. R.I.P Ronnie, it's so sad to see someone go like this.

Oct 26, 2017
RIP, Ronnie Edwards. It's always hard to read and hear about people taking their own life from the pain they feel almost daily. For most people, all they really need is some assurance that they're truly valued and desired. Just asking how they're doing or if they need any help can be enough. I hope that he's remembered fondly and that his family is able to recover from this

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
My god what an emotional roller coaster for Mattpat. RIP Ronnie, I'm sure your work has inspired others. Mental illness is a hell of a thing.

SpeedyBlueDude

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Provo, Utah
Sharing this here, because I want my opinion to be shared, and most of my IRL friends wouldn't be versed in this story.

It fills me with a ton of anger and sadness the irony of the person who singled out Ronnie for his bad behavior at E3, "causing" his suicide, deleting their accounts online and disappearing when people call him out for his bad behavior.

It makes me feel weird, because the person doesn't see the immense irony in what he did.

Ronnie was called out for his rude and awful treatment of workers at E3, because this user threw allegations his way. He received so much Hate from it, and Ronnie couldn't apologize in a proper way, which made the hatred Double Down.

I'm sure Ronnie was actually very mean spirited and rude to the accuser. I believe him when he says that. I just don't think he needed to publically shame Ronnie for it online, in a place he knew Ronnie, Ronnie's friends, Ronnie's fans, and Ronnie's boss would see it. He purposely tried to ruin Ronnie's reputation and maybe even his career. For what? To get back at him for being rude to him?

Ronnie honestly sounds like he has mild autism. He clearly has depression, I don't expect the accuser to know that, but any form of empathy would have made him realize trying to ruin someone's life, for a brief negative interaction that spanned a few minutes, isn't a great idea.

It's not like Ronnie was super duper awful. He wasn't sexist. He wasn't racist. He wasn't spitting pure venomous hate. He was just being condescending and rude. Sharing your bad experience is fine. But did he really have to feel the need to go that far? Couldn't just privately email Matt? Had to publically shame him?

Now, people are trying to call the accuser out and pass some blame and shame them for the suicide of Ronnie. (Which I don't agree with)

He just deleted his Social Media. All forms of it. Just disappeared like a ghost.

Ronnie had to face the backlash and hostility of the Internet. It drove him to suicide. He couldn't run from it.

The accuser steps away from the Internet, runs from it, and hopefully feels some guilt from it and will come back later under entirely new usernames to never remember this again.

The irony in it, for me, is Ronnie didn't have the option. He couldn't run, he's a public figure, he had to face it because he can't just hide from these accusations? All because he's "famous?" He isn't allowed to have a bad day? He isn't allowed to be socially incompetent and treat someone badly without realizing it because he's famous?

It's not fair. I work as a Waiter. I have people treat me terribly every day I work. I always just shrug it off and think "They're just having a bad day. Whatever. I'll never meet them again, they may be assholes, but don't give them the time of day. Let them be miserable, I'll move on with my life." I never once think of taking their names from their credit card receipts and making an anonymous complain about them on FaceBook to try and shame them.

But because Ronnie is famous... he had to publically call him out? And it led him to suicide?

It just feels wrong to me. It really makes me feel terrible.

Rest In Peace Ronnie, Thank you for entertaining me and bringing me joy for the last 4 years. I know this world wasn't too great for you, but I hope the next treat you amazing. You're an amazingly talented artist, shame to have you gone.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
That eulogy video made my eyes wet, and let me tell you, it's not easy to make my cynical self cry.

Always try to confide in and be there for your friends and family because you never know who just needs somebody to talk to.

An (online) friend of mine committed suicide about 15 years ago. I had absolutely no clue whatsoever that he was depressed or harboring suicidal thoughts. Since then I'm absolutely terrified of losing someone else too. There's a ResetEra member that I appreciate a lot and worry about a lot too, he's gone (and is going) through truly harrowing stuff, but I don't know what to do other than being there for him as best I can.

The eulogy probably affected me a bit more because I was thinking of him all through it, and some things resonated a lot, including being unable to fully get my sincere compliments to get through (in this case, about his amazing art and drawings). I guess being hypercritical of the self goes hand in hand with depression, but it's still frustrating and heartbreaking to see someone create art so beautiful you could cry and being unable to make them see it through your own eyes, so to speak.

Last edited:

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Watching the video and then reading the E3 drama put things into perspective. Seems like he was a harsh person to deal with and the people at the Kingdom Hearts booth misunderstood him. Suicide is always sad so hope his friends are well, seems like he had a lot of issues and a rocky relationship with his family which is never a good thing. Sucks

Andy Mac

Banned
Jun 28, 2018
Just a note for anyone experiencing suicidal thoughts etc, there is so much help and support out there and it's just a Google search away. You are not alone.

Take care folks. :(

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just heard about this. This is an endlessly tragic situation marred by complex drama. May he rest in peace and I pray for his friends and family, especially those at Game Theorists.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Sharing this here, because I want my opinion to be shared, and most of my IRL friends wouldn't be versed in this story.

It fills me with a ton of anger and sadness the irony of the person who singled out Ronnie for his bad behavior at E3, "causing" his suicide, deleting their accounts online and disappearing when people call him out for his bad behavior.

It makes me feel weird, because the person doesn't see the immense irony in what he did.

Ronnie was called out for his rude and awful treatment of workers at E3, because this user threw allegations his way. He received so much Hate from it, and Ronnie couldn't apologize in a proper way, which made the hatred Double Down.

I'm sure Ronnie was actually very mean spirited and rude to the accuser. I believe him when he says that. I just don't think he needed to publically shame Ronnie for it online, in a place he knew Ronnie, Ronnie's friends, Ronnie's fans, and Ronnie's boss would see it. He purposely tried to ruin Ronnie's reputation and maybe even his career. For what? To get back at him for being rude to him?

Ronnie honestly sounds like he has mild autism. He clearly has depression, I don't expect the accuser to know that, but any form of empathy would have made him realize trying to ruin someone's life, for a brief negative interaction that spanned a few minutes, isn't a great idea.

It's not like Ronnie was super duper awful. He wasn't sexist. He wasn't racist. He wasn't spitting pure venomous hate. He was just being condescending and rude. Sharing your bad experience is fine. But did he really have to feel the need to go that far? Couldn't just privately email Matt? Had to publically shame him?

Now, people are trying to call the accuser out and pass some blame and shame them for the suicide of Ronnie. (Which I don't agree with)

He just deleted his Social Media. All forms of it. Just disappeared like a ghost.

Ronnie had to face the backlash and hostility of the Internet. It drove him to suicide. He couldn't run from it.

The accuser steps away from the Internet, runs from it, and hopefully feels some guilt from it and will come back later under entirely new usernames to never remember this again.

The irony in it, for me, is Ronnie didn't have the option. He couldn't run, he's a public figure, he had to face it because he can't just hide from these accusations? All because he's "famous?" He isn't allowed to have a bad day? He isn't allowed to be socially incompetent and treat someone badly without realizing it because he's famous?

It's not fair. I work as a Waiter. I have people treat me terribly every day I work. I always just shrug it off and think "They're just having a bad day. Whatever. I'll never meet them again, they may be assholes, but don't give them the time of day. Let them be miserable, I'll move on with my life." I never once think of taking their names from their credit card receipts and making an anonymous complain about them on FaceBook to try and shame them.

But because Ronnie is famous... he had to publically call him out? And it led him to suicide?

It just feels wrong to me. It really makes me feel terrible.

Rest In Peace Ronnie, Thank you for entertaining me and bringing me joy for the last 4 years. I know this world wasn't too great for you, but I hope the next treat you amazing. You're an amazingly talented artist, shame to have you gone.

You are making a lot of assumptions and basically accuse a stranger to be responsible for another person's death because he called him rude on the internet. Even though that runs counter to the explicit statement we have right now from his co-workers and friends, where they explicitely state that there was a lot of bad stuff happening in his private life and that they kept working together, as they always did.

Please don't make these assumptions and acussations about people you don't know who are in situations you have no idea about.

SpeedyBlueDude

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Provo, Utah
You are making a lot of assumptions and basically accuse a stranger to be responsible for another person's death because he called him rude on the internet. Even though that runs counter to the explicit statement we have right now from his co-workers and friends, where they explicitely state that there was a lot of bad stuff happening in his private life and that they kept working together, as they always did.

Please don't make these assumptions and acussations about people you don't know who are in situations you have no idea about.
I am. But I'm also going off another close friend who posted slightly after the suicide happens and way before the statements were released, responding to the original accusations with the information of "Because of your claims, Ronnie is dead."

He gave proof and it went under the radar because it was in response a month after the original response was posted, so new comments were buried.

Sounds like the the person who made that post was close to Ronnie.

That, along with reasons of the timing working out, Ronnie committed suicide slightly after posting his apology and receiving MORE backlash for the bad apology, and MatPat being too respectful and being a business, would clearly never blame the accuser for the bad PR.

Even I, to avoid brining any hate towards the accuser, refuse to name him, or link to any of these things, because that makes it too easy to find him. Rather let him deal with the guilt in peace.

EDIT- Also, want to point out Mat said he BELIEVES the accusations played no role in Ronnie's decision, but he doesn't know for sure, he went silent during this.

Not that any of this matters. I'm not interested in trying to hurt the accuser or make a witch hunt, just wanted to share my feelings. I may be wrong, and I hope I am, and truly don't want to partake in any conspiracy theories.

I'll stop trying to throw wood into this fire, I won't push my thoughts on this anymore. It's not respectful to those involved, but I will read and take sincere consideration into your response, if you do reply, won't respond though.

Last edited: