• Revenge of the Sith

Votes: 493 36.4%
  • The Last Jedi

Votes: 860 63.6%

• Total voters

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'm honestly having trouble understanding how people think RotS is a GOOD movie, like fine you can enjoy it all you want but are you seriously gonna fix your face and tell me that the acting/direction/writing are better in that movie? The one where the ONLY female character dies of a "broken heart"??

TLJ broke y'alls minds

it's all relative, there are some wondering the same about how people can like TLJ.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
TLJ

TBH I've always found Revenge of the Sith supremely overrated, even before any of the sequel trilogy came out. It's a version of Attack of the Clones where stuff actually happens in the plot (though I will concede this is a large point in its favor, it's the only one of the prequel films to deliver on the promise of seeing Anakin's downfall, even if it half-asses it). Wooden dialogue and acting, lame romance drama, pointless whizbang CGI all over the place.

Prequel memes scraped some ironic humor out of its worst moments, but that doesn't mean they aren't terrible.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
They litterally dusted off the OLD puppet for that, and it looked bad/worse because they had to cover up the degredation it had suffered.

There's no way that ILM couldn't have done a far better job by even using the puppet as a base to do digital composition or blending like Davy Jones in Pirates. ou could have gotten the best of both worlds, but THAT Yoda is by far the worst he has ever looked on screen.
I just flat out disagree. It's a perfect blend of modernization and keeping the character looking like it fits continuity wise. Baby Yoda also looks like a puppet, but it's FAR more charming because of this.

Oct 25, 2017
No it isn't. He goes from Jedi to child murderer in like 30 minutes or less.

This is what I remembered but when I rewatched it it's pretty gradual actually.

He starts off as a renowned Jedi but he is easily influenced by Palpatine on his rescue mission so he kills Dooku despite knowing that was wrong, then he starts having visions of Padme dying so he starts doubting everything. Then the council asks him to spy on Palpatine by agreeing to put him on the council but not grant him the rank of master and he's like "yo wtf?", then Palpatine gives him some food for thought about the dark side and manipulating life feeding his fear of losing Padme. Then Palpatine reveals himself to be the sith lord and Anakin is like "alright imma tell the Jedi, win their trust and get him arrested" but Mace Windu slights Anakin AGAIN leading Anakin to believe that the Jedi just don't value him, Anakin starts realizing he might lose Padme if Palpatine dies or gets locked away before he can learn the power to keep people from dying so he storms off to go make sure Palpatine gets arrested and stands trial. Anakin sees Palpatine faking a position of weakness, Mace Windu is about to strike Palpatine down but Anakin stops him which results in Windu dying.

Following that Anakin surrenders himself to the dark side believing that following Palpatine is the only way to save Padme and the republic.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

He starts off as a renowned Jedi but he is easily influenced by Palpatine on his rescue mission so he kills Dooku despite knowing that was wrong, then he starts having visions of Padme dying so he starts doubting everything. Then the council asks him to spy on Palpatine by agreeing to put him on the council but not grant him the rank of master and he's like "yo wtf?", then Palpatine gives him some food for thought about the dark side and manipulating life feeding his fear of losing Padme. Then Palpatine reveals himself to be the sith lord and Anakin is like "alright imma tell the Jedi, win their trust and get him arrested" but Mace Windu slights Anakin AGAIN leading Anakin to believe that the Jedi just don't value him, Anakin starts realizing he might lose Padme if Palpatine dies or gets locked away before he can learn the power to keep people from dying so he storms off to go make sure Palpatine gets arrested and stands trial. Anakin sees Palpatine faking a position of weakness, Mace Windu is about to strike Palpatine down but Anakin stops him which results in Windu dying.

Following that Anakin surrenders himself to the dark side believing that following Palpatine is the only way to save Padme and the republic.

we literally had the "WHAT I HAVE DONE?! to killing kids in less than 20 minutes" thread a week ago.

he had struggles, but to say the change was "gradual" is bullshit

astro

Oct 25, 2017

yeh, it looks far better on paper than the execution on screen.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly having trouble understanding how people think RotS is a GOOD movie, like fine you can enjoy it all you want but are you seriously gonna fix your face and tell me that the acting/direction/writing are better in that movie? The one where the ONLY female character dies of a "broken heart"??

TLJ broke y'alls minds

Sure The Last Jedi has better writing but the story it's telling just isn't as good. The cast may be better, for the most part anyway, but outside of Rey and Ben was anyone even given anything to work with?

Revenge of the Sith's story is simply better, even if it's not executed as well. The scale is just larger, the stakes much greater, the villains more entertaining. It's not really fair to compare The Last Jedi, a movie where very little actually happens, to Revenge of the Sith, where the Republic falls, the Jedi are wiped out and the bad guys win.

The scene where Anakin is sealed inside the Vader suit is beautiful and haunting. There isn't a single scene in The Last Jedi that comes close.

Dec 22, 2017
I thought 50% of TLJ was OK to pretty good, and the other half was bad. Still a much better - and more competently made - movie than any of the prequels.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

Just because there's a sequence of events doesn't make it well written or directed. Anakin is CLEARLY remorseful for what he did to Windu. Then he shows zero remorse murdering children and nearly choking his pregnant wife to death 20-30 minutes later.

You could write out the general sequence of events of the entire prequel trilogy and it would make a decent, compelling story (after all the trade federation bullshit is excised). The problem is Lucas is a terrible director.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That scene is one of the best scenes in the entire saga it you ask me, and along with the beginning battle scene and VFX, the only saving graces of TLJ.

I did vote TLJ for those reasons but it's close.

no man, it cant be when for less than a second kylo thrusts his lightsaber into nothing!

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is like the "did you like TLJ yes/no" poll thread except this one forces the rabid haters to mentally contort themselves into thinking RotS is good. Amusing, I like it.

Oct 25, 2017
Just because there's a sequence of events doesn't make it well written or directed. Anakin is CLEARLY remorseful for what he did to Windu. Then he shows zero remorse murdering children and nearly choking his pregnant wife to death 20-30 minutes later.

You could write out the general sequence of events of the entire prequel trilogy and it would make a decent, compelling story (after all the trade federation bullshit is excised). The problem is Lucas is a terrible director.

I won't disagree with you on these points, the directing and over all execution of the prequels is an absolute disaster. But the general outline for each movie is kinda functional.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Sure The Last Jedi has better writing but the story it's telling just isn't as good. The cast may be better, for the most part anyway, but outside of Rey and Ben was anyone even given anything to work with?

Revenge of the Sith's story is simply better, even if it's not executed as well. The scale is just larger, the stakes much greater, the villains more entertaining. It's not really fair to compare The Last Jedi, a movie where very little actually happens, to Revenge of the Sith, where the Republic falls, the Jedi are wiped out and the bad guys win.

The scene where Anakin is sealed inside the Vader suit is beautiful and haunting. There isn't a single scene in The Last Jedi that comes close.
RotS's story is better on paper, in execution it's an utter shambles.

RotS does some things better in concept, but all aspects of execution fall short in comparison.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

1) he's literally crying after the younglings thing

2) he thinks padme brought obiwan to kill him (the jedi in the temple all tried to kill him so he's on edge)

The film is hurt by having cut the Jedi temple sequence, and having ambiguous ellipses. It's not 20 minutes in universe obviously.

You still have a big chunk of it in the adaptation of the film though because he cut it very late. It genuinely bothers me because it was the best part. At least we got it in those medias. :/

Oct 27, 2017
it's all relative, there are some wondering the same about how people can like TLJ.
I mean I guess in the same way you can make anything qualitatively relative?

I mean, you are correct that MORE happens but my issue is with how it's told. Like I have a hard time getting into when all of the acting is so unremarkable at best and straight up bad performances at worst (not the fault of any of the actors). I guess for me I could never get into the story as the individual parts never clicked in especially Hayden's performance which weighed the whole thing down and prevented me from buying to him being THE Darth Vader from the OT.

Like the order 66 scene didn't really do anything for me since I didn't really know any of the characters, its just a bunch of randos (maybe if I read more EU novels I'd care??) getting murders by PS2 CGI troopers.

I will say that the Clone Wars tv show actually makes me somewhat buy into Anakin as a character, if only Filoni could redo the entire PT in clone wars styling (with the same VO crew)

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Revenge of the sith not killing any hype for star wars saga like tlj did speak for himself...

astro

Oct 25, 2017
no man, it cant be when for less than a second kylo thrusts his lightsaber into nothing!
Not sire how people struggle with this one given how Kylo is explicitly shown to be a wild and rage filled fighter.

Revenge of the sith not killing any hype for star wars saga like tlj did speak for himself...
TLJ only "killed hype" for a tiny corner of the internet who like to make a very loud noise.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
RotS is a shit movie, I tolerate it due to being the horrible end of a terrible era, something that made me less a fan of Star Wars.
TLJ is the only Star Wars movie that has truly surprised me, I love it.

I honestly how can someone prefer to watch RotS over TLJ unless is just for the "lols"

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RotS's story is better on paper, in execution it's an utter shambles.

RotS does some things better in concept, but all aspects of execution fall short in comparison.

I'd rather you try to do something ambitious and fail than do something safe and succeed.

I can appreciate what Lucas was trying to do, even if he was clearly totally out of his depth and incapable of telling the story he wanted to tell as well as it should have been.

Even so, it helps a lot that Revenge of the Sith still comes together. It's still fun to watch and Palpatine is an amazing villain. Seeing Anakin walk into the Jedi Temple with an army of clones behind him to kill everyone inside may not make much sense where they wrote it, but damn if it isn't an excellent shot and a really sad one.

I just like it a hell of a lot more than I do The Last Jedi, which honestly has such bad villains that they're bringing Palpatine back in some capacity for the sequel instead.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
RotS has always been my least favorite of the numbered movies.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
do you know, TLJ is not a person right?
English is not my native language but i'm pretty sure that a film killing hype for a saga can be a thing, like covenant for alien or the last terminator for terminator saga...so what's your point exactly?
I know it's not a person,it was a figurative speech (i don't know if this is the correct word lol)

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather you try to do something ambitious and fail than do something safe and succeed.

I can appreciate what Lucas was trying to do, even if he was clearly totally out of his depth and incapable of telling the story he wanted to tell as well as it should have been.

Even so, it helps a lot that Revenge of the Sith still comes together. It's still fun to watch and Palpatine is an amazing villain. Seeing Anakin walk into the Jedi Temple with an army of clones behind him to kill everyone inside may not make much sense where they wrote it, but damn if it isn't an excellent shot and a really sad one.

I just like it a hell of a lot more than I do The Last Jedi, which honestly has such bad villains that they're bringing Palpatine back in some capacity for the sequel instead.
All of this is fine in concept, but when the film fumbles it as hard as the PT did in general... it ends up the way it does. Just because it tried doesn't score it enough points when discussing which is a better film to make any kind of difference.

TLJ might not bring as many new ideas to the table, but it executes much more of its attempts well than anything in the PT.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Not sire how people struggle with this one given how Kylo is explicitly shown to be a wild and rage filled fighter.

TLJ only "killed hype" for a tiny corner of the internet who like to make a very loud noise.
Yeah tell that to yourself if it make you feel better.
It's always a vocal minority when things are not how we like...

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

TLJ had the worst after market to Domestic take ratio of any Disney SW films with the worst post December performance ratio of any Disney SW film. It's clear that repeats and enthusiasm wasn't up to the previous films. Most of those repeats went to Jumanji. Something went wrong when Rogue One, a film that opened far below TLJ with a far smaller overall take, started outgrossing it in dailies.

THats not to say that it was reviled (it wasn't).

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
so what will you say, when TROS makes 2 billion?
And so what? Have you asked any people who saw the film in the entire planet?

Do you know that people has to watch the movie at least one time to form a positive or negative opinion??

They already had my money even if i don't liked the film...
Not saying that nobody liked the film of course but why open a topic with a poll like this if people can't speak freely?

Edit: sorry i was thinking about tlj lol.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
English is not my native language but i'm pretty sure that a film killing hype for a saga can be a thing, like covenant for alien or the last terminator for terminator saga...so what's your point exactly?
LOL

TLJ was critically well received and did 1.3 billion dollars in the box office. You're here comparing it to Alien Covenant and Terminator Dark Fate? Listen to yourself dude.

Rise of the Skywalker is still going to be a massive hit in theaters, even if it somehow ruined some internet super fan's entitled view of Star Wars.

If the shit ass prequels didn't kill Star Wars, the incredibly successful TLJ certainty won't.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Rian Johnson sure did ruin this franchise that was previously so consistently solid

latest

astro

Oct 25, 2017
TLJ had the worst after market to Domestic take ratio of any Disney SW films with the worst post December performance ratio of any Disney SW film. It's clear that repeats and enthusiasm wasn't up to the previous films. Most of those repeats went to Jumanji. Something went wrong when Rogue One, a film that opened far below TLJ with a far smaller overall take, started outgrossing it in dailies.

THats not to say that it was reviled (it wasn't).
Yeh, this is true, but it's still a minority corner of the internet making a noise about how bad it is or "killed enthusiasm".
Yeah tell that to yourself if it make you feel better.
Ditto.

TLJ is the best movie since Empire.

This is a fact.
It is known.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
LOL

TLJ was critically well received and did 1.3 billion dollars in the box office. You're here comparing it to Alien Covenant and Terminator Dark Fate? Listen to yourself dude.

Rise of the Skywalker is still going to be a massive hit in theaters, even if it somehow ruined some internet super fan's entitled view of Star Wars.
I don't give a fuck about how much money the film did, because guess what, money don't always mean something... i was talking for myself before the "good taste police" came in defense of the film.

Gtfo with this shit or just don't partecipate on a discussion when people can have different opinions if you have to act like this...

Are you gonna say the same thing to any people who liked rots more than tlj?? Well you have another 260 people to talk jist in this topic buddy, don't waste time with me, i'm not gonna change my mind jist because the film make 5 billions dollar...

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeh, this is true, but it's still a minority corner of the internet making a noise about how bad it is or "killed enthusiasm".

Ditto.

It is known.

Yeah no argiement there. We're going to see ROTS potentially not outgross TLJ however. This will be down mainly to the INT markets but I have a feeling that is more on turning off SW as a whole than TLJ being some sudden about face that 'ruined starwars' for people outside NA. Not that TLJ didn't have a big negative impact on the SW brand in some INT markets (China being the most obvious but not only example of the film opening strongly and then just collapsing).

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I don't give a fuck about how much money the film did, i was talking for myself before the "good taste police" came in defense of the film.

Gtfo with this shit or just don't partecipate on a discussion when people can have different opinions...
Comparing The Last Jedi to being as bad and damaging to a franchise as Alien Covenant is absurd.

You seem upset.

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone choosing RotS actually watched it recently? I feel like coming off Attack of the Clones anything seemed pretty good, but it really does not stand up on repeated viewings. You may not like everything in the ST but at the very least they're both fun and watchable films.