• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember backing a Kickstarter project he was involved with.

Still waiting on it lol

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Didn't Yoshi-P say a dream project of his was to work on a Vagrant Story game with Matsuno? That would be my dream outcome here if Matsuno is getting the pre-production going while XVI is finished up.

Super unlikely, but let a man dream...

Please find out where you read this because holy hell, that would be incredible!

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember backing a Kickstarter project he was involved with.

Still waiting on it lol
Unsung Story? It came out literally one year ago

store.steampowered.com

Unsung Story on Steam

Unsung Story is a spiritual successor to Final Fantasy Tactics that takes place in a world where spells are cast as songs and a 77-year war has damaged the foundations of magic. Build a team to work backwards in time from the final battle to find a way to save Lasfaria.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
This is giving me 4 phrases for a collaboration event made to promote a mobile gacha game, but if people want to get excited, I'm all up for that.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Please find out where you read this because holy hell, that would be incredible!
I was made aware of it by the poster right below you, DiipuSurotu =D

From a 2018 interview:
That was a long but really interesting interview. A little sad too, as Matsuno sounds kind of negative regarding his own work and talent.
And Yoshida is such a fanboy. He was half joking but his project to reunite Matsuno, Ito, Minagawa and Akihiko Yoshida, with himself acting as producer, for a new HD game set in the world of Vagrant Story is something I really want to see become reality. Hope he will be able to take a break from XIV someday, sooner than later .

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
His games lack the mainstream appeal that other FF games have imo. They're usually less character-focused and tackle more mature themes. Even his content in FFXIV was met with a mixed reception. Fans of his past work love it, those who are uninitiated consider it dull
His games sold millions lol, one of the most prolific creators at Square

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unsung Story? It came out literally one year ago

store.steampowered.com

Unsung Story on Steam

Unsung Story is a spiritual successor to Final Fantasy Tactics that takes place in a world where spells are cast as songs and a 77-year war has damaged the foundations of magic. Build a team to work backwards in time from the final battle to find a way to save Lasfaria.
Still in early access.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

I don't think the poster is wrong though that Matsuno as it stands today lacks mainstream appeal. Most people dont even know who he is anymore, outside of his fans.

Atleast thats what it seems like whenever he comes up when I talk with people.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020

I was basing my opinion based on my own experiences and XIV's players reaction to his content.

If we're talking about sales, brand recognition is an important factor. IIRC his non-ff games (Vagrant Story, Tactics Ogre, Crimson Shroud, etc) didn't 'sell millions'. Tactics Ogre might be the exception if you accumulate all of its re-releases, but even then I wouldn't put it in the same echelon as Square's heavy hitters.

I do think he consistently made quality games, but quality games aren't enough reason for Square to 'throw money at him'

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the new rumored remasters are because YoshiP has gained a lot of clout and thus can be a voice to champion them. That seems to be how Square makes decisions on which titles to revisit.

Also, ya'll are sleeping on the Ogre Battle saga, not just TO. Still one of my favorite RPGs to date. I'd cream myself if he was brought in to do the last episode of it, tactical or traditional.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MATSUNO-SAMA HAD AN IDEA FOR VAGRANT STORY II, I'M JUST SAYING

I mean: Please and thank you. I wouldn't wish the weight and stress of game development and directing on him again considering how that went last time, but man, there are some capable people out there. Who knows.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think the poster is wrong though that Matsuno as it stands today lacks mainstream appeal. Most people dont even know who he is anymore, outside of his fans.

Atleast thats what it seems like whenever he comes up when I talk with people.

I was basing my opinion based on my own experiences and XIV's players reaction to his content.

If we're talking about sales, brand recognition is an important factor. IIRC his non-ff games (Vagrant Story, Tactics Ogre, Crimson Shroud, etc) didn't 'sell millions'. Tactics Ogre might be the exception if you accumulate all of its re-releases, but even then I wouldn't put it in the same echelon as Square's heavy hitters.

I do think he consistently made quality games, but quality games aren't enough reason for Square to 'throw money at him'

Personal popularity represents nothing when it comes to selling games.

We already have interviews with Yoshi-P stating the positive reception of Matsuno's content was unbelievable and much higher than expected to the point that it boosted the sales of FF Tactics and FFXII.

FF Tactics sold over 3 millions, which sold better than any FF spin-offs to this day. Ivalice games have all been Every Ivalice game is a million seller outside of A2.

I don't know why Square Enix wouldn't throw money at him, when they tried to give Yuji Naka of all people a spin to end up with Balan Wonderworld.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'd be happy with a game like Lost Order, tbh. Or for him to just go back and finish Lost Order and release it on Switch and Apple Arcade, or something, anything.
Maybe he's going to write for the new Star Ocean game that everyone has forgotten about already? lol.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Personal popularity represents nothing when it comes to selling games.

We already have interviews with Yoshi-P stating the positive reception of Matsuno's content was unbelievable and much higher than expected to the point that it boosted the sales of FF Tactics and FFXII.

FF Tactics sold over 3 millions, which sold better than any FF spin-offs to this day. Ivalice games have all been Every Ivalice game is a million seller outside of A2.

I don't know why Square Enix wouldn't throw money at him, when they tried to give Yuji Naka of all people a spin to end up with Balan Wonderworld.

I think you misunderstand. I am not saying Matsuno isnt good or that I dont think he should get cash thrown at him.

I just think people dont value him as much as they should.

HK-48

Jan 14, 2021
England
Just give me Lost Odyssey 2, I'd really like that

edit: found this gem
Ddwzc4fUQAAlV5n.jpg

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I made a post a while ago wondering if the impending ports of FFT and Tactics Ogre (both on the GeForce leak, plus mentioned in some SE marketing surveys) would mean another new game, since that was how the Ivalice Alliance stuff worked. Kawazu mentioned he was gearing up for some push too (and he spearheaded the Ivalice Alliance), but he seems too busy with SaGa to do anything else.

Guildenstern

Oct 29, 2017
Matsuno: Rather than looking back at the past, I'm the kind of person who loves trying out new things. But when you reach my age, you start having thoughts like "How much time do I have left to keep making games?". And I'm not talking about retirement, I'm talking about death. Recently, I've been to more funerals than weddings, and it made me aware of how limited our time is. On places like Twitter, fans sometimes send me messages like "I really wish you'd make a new Ogre or FFT!!". When I see messages like this, a part of me thinks "I probably need to make one before I die".

Reading this comment I think this is one of the few chances to have a full game from Matsuno. Let's hope YoshiP manages to reunite Minagawa, Yoshida, Akiyama and Sakimoto for one last game in Ivalice.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Matsuno: Rather than looking back at the past, I'm the kind of person who loves trying out new things. But when you reach my age, you start having thoughts like "How much time do I have left to keep making games?". And I'm not talking about retirement, I'm talking about death. Recently, I've been to more funerals than weddings, and it made me aware of how limited our time is. On places like Twitter, fans sometimes send me messages like "I really wish you'd make a new Ogre or FFT!!". When I see messages like this, a part of me thinks "I probably need to make one before I die".

Reading this comment I think this is one of the few chances to have a full game from Matsuno. Let's hope YoshiP manages to reunite Minagawa, Yoshida, Akiyama and Sakimoto for one last game in Ivalice.
Source?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Cygames never did officially say what happened to Lost Order in the end... :(
It could always get World of Demons-ed, but that seems less likely since I imagine CyGames are probably pissed with whatever happened on Granblue.
It's from a Dengeki Online interview in 2019 alongside Naoki Yoshida about his contributions to FFXIV.

Funnily enough, you made the thread about it lol :P!
www.resetera.com

Yasumi Matsuno comments on possible new Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Battle Saga games

More at: https://www.dualshockers.com/yasumi-matsuno-final-fantasy-tactics-ogre-battle-comments/ Replace with Vaan and Penelo if too old

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's from a Dengeki Online interview in 2019 alongside Naoki Yoshida about his contributions to FFXIV.

Funnily enough, you made the thread about it lol :P!
www.resetera.com

Yasumi Matsuno comments on possible new Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Battle Saga games

More at: https://www.dualshockers.com/yasumi-matsuno-final-fantasy-tactics-ogre-battle-comments/ Replace with Vaan and Penelo if too old
Thread 'Yasumi Matsuno comments on possible new Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Battle Saga games' https://www.resetera.com/threads/ya...antasy-tactics-ogre-battle-saga-games.115853/
😅
Oh lmao

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Super awesome for anything he does. Simply the best writer in the biz if you ask me and one hell of a game designer.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exciting news.

But... Is he just randomly writing a scenario to try and pitch to companies? Or is he actually writing for a game?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Exciting news.

But... Is he just randomly writing a scenario to try and pitch to companies? Or is he actually writing for a game?
There's no way he's writing on spec, not unless it isn't a game.

Worth mentioning he infrequently mentions working long hours on something on Twitter, but obviously we have no idea what it is and it could always be more XIV content, etc. He also mentioned wanting to have something to show for the 25th anniversary for FFT, so it could inexplicably be even more content for that like War of the Lions (for whatever version was leaked by GeForce now).

Koivusilta

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Source? I'm pretty sure Crisis Core sold better.

The only reliable (official) sales numbers I was able find for either game say that the PS1 version of FFT alone had sold 2.4 million copies by 2011, while Crisis Core was at 2,1 million in 2009 (PDF). Given that CC has only ever been available physically on PSP, with no subsequent ports or even a digital release on PSN, I'd be surprised if it somehow managed to outsell FFT, since that has been readily available in one form or another for the past 10+ years.