• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Article here:

Forspoken:

Reviews of "FORSPOKEN," which we released on January 24, 2023, have been challenging. However, the game has also received positive feedback on its action features, including its parkour and combat capabilities, so it has yielded results that will lead to improvement of our development capabilities of other games in the future. That said, its sales have been lackluster, and while the performance of new titles with February and March release dates will be the ultimate determinant, we see considerable downside risk to our FY2023/3 earnings.

I mean those are the games S-E released in the latter half of 2022:

Voice of Cards: The Beasts of Burden
Various Daylife
The Diofield Chronicle
Valkyrie Elysium
Star Ocean: The Divine Force
Harvestella
Tactics Ogre: Reborn
Dragon Quest Treasures
Not including some games that got ports during that time.

Oct 26, 2017
Forspoken looked pretty interesting to me, but I was *seriously* turned off by the marketing. I might pick it up in the future, can anyone tell me in the in-game dialogue is anything like the infamous trailer?

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if Sony bought em tbh, they've just been releasing a lot of flops as of late

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
This sucks cause I love seeing them putting out titles with a bit smaller budgets
I think Tactics Ogre did quite well for what it is right? I saw that on some sales charts

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
There's no way Tactics Ogre Reborn didn't meet expectations. It outsold Sonic Frontiers and God of War in week one sales in Japan and it has a ton of reviews on steam

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You mean releasing a thousand niche strategy RPGs without any marketing didn't work?

It can't be.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Tactics Ogre Reborn didn't bomb at least. The rest of the games on that list are kind of meh.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Most of the game Square Enix released last year were fire, but, man, we only have so much money. They need to plan their shit better.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
The DioField Chronicle is a good game, the gameplay is awesome but the major issue I had with it is that so much of the story happens off screen, which sucks a lot. The story was fairly interesting just very badly presented. And they also did barely any marketing for that game. It's one of those games if they gave a bigger budget and attention has the potential of being a solid franchise, as it has a lot of unique aspects to it

The rest were pretty bad games

Liquid

Banned
Sep 13, 2021
There's no way Tactics Ogre Reborn didn't meet expectations. It outsold Sonic Frontiers and God of War in week one sales in Japan and it has a ton of reviews on steam

One region is far from standard to judge overall performance. That said, Tactics Ogre probably did well considering it was a remaster.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They crammed too many games in a small window and are surprised some didn't do well?

Diagon

Jun 9, 2018
Maybe it's just poor time management on my end, but I really think I'd have played like, 4 of those if they hadn't all released in like a month.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Those game were mostly mediocre and came one after another, this shouldn't be that surprising.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
When you release a bajillion games all close together with huge overlaps in the fanbase for each yeah they are proabably gonna hurt each other. The biggest rival for squares games last year was probably themselves lol.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
This has the smell of an acquisition in the future. The can't surely keep underperforming across so many titles and keep going forever can they? Are they heavily reliant on one or two games for survival or something?

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Forspoken looked pretty interesting to me, but I was *seriously* turned off by the marketing. I might pick it up in the future, can anyone tell me in the in-game dialogue is anything like the infamous trailer?

The dialogue is great. As is the character writing for Frey. Probably one of the more realistic characters, in terms of how she handled being transported to an odd world and grappling with how she is seen as a savior when she just wants to go home. The story fell a bit short towards the end as it felt like they ran out of budget and had to cut back on some story quests but overall the trailers really didn't do the story and writing justice.

I also want to do a shout out for Harvestella. The game is much better than most would expect and is really an RPG with farming SIM elements, rather than the other way round. The PC port is also really good in terms of performance. Didn't really see anyone encountering big AAA games issues. Square did the game dirty but not doing any marketing.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
square's output last year would be well suited for a sub service, i don't think it works well for individual purchases, full price in particular

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
I feel like every time SQEX says anything about sales of any game, it's always some variation of "lackluster" or "not as expected".

Really makes me wonder what's their expectation for these games.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
When you release a bajillion games all close together with huge overlaps in the fanbase for each yeah they are proabably gonna hurt each other. The biggest rival for squares games last year was probably themselves lol.

Also, if you start releasing games that could easily look like (nice) indie games you put yourself in direct competition with 23049 more games that may be as valid as yours and cost 1/3.

Oct 26, 2017
The dialogue is great. As is the character writing for Frey. Probably one of the more realistic characters, in terms of how she handled being transported to an odd world and grappling with how she is seen as a savior when she just wants to go home. The story fell a bit short towards the end as it felt like they ran out of budget and had to cut back on some story quests but overall the trailers really didn't do the story and writing justice.

Cool, I shall add it to the list!

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
they dumped a truck of games onto the market with little marketing and obvious lack of budget. some of those games could have been great with a little bit more budget. valkyrie elysium for example

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the games they released are incredible. They just need to space them out more.

This better not be a sign for their lower budget titles. These games are currently the shining stars of the company. Tactics Ogre Reborn and Harvestella are incredible and are the best games they released last year.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019

That trailer concentrated all the worst parts into a single ~20 second package, and tainted people's perception of what the dialogue would be like. Granted, it's still not exactly brilliant, but it doesn't plumb the depths of the writing septic tank like that trailer

bloodyroarx

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
We flooded the market with mid tier games (not that there is anything bad with them) and they all under sold.

Cant fucking blame your losses on Crystal D and the Montreal studios now can you Square?

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of mid releases back to back. Hope TO and TS did well though.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
This has the smell of an acquisition in the future. The can't surely keep underperforming across so many titles and keep going forever can they? Are they heavily reliant on one or two games for survival or something?

Man some of you are so desperate.

They're doing well with FFXIV and other FF titles.

Aug 22, 2018
Damn... I'm gonna miss this mid budget era of Square, I hope this doesn't deter them from interesting mid budget projects in the future and at the very least teaches them to actually space these releases out and not dump them out all right next to each other.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Too many games, too similar, many of them meh, shrinking your fanbases because of short sighted exclusivity, selling off the western studios, the ride never ends with SE.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

They are a sucessful business despite some flops. Nowhere near in need of saving. Lots of potential upwards obviously but not rly near "we have to sell".

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
They can underperform on console games as long as mobile gaming still performs well.
Square is still bigger than Capcom. If you smell an acquisition for them, then any company can just slip a bill to buy Capcom.

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
RIP luminous.
If FF16 isnt a sufficiently big hit I wonder if SE will rethink how they do AAA games.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Too many games, too similar, many of them meh, shrinking your fanbases because of short sighted exclusivity, selling off the western studios, the ride never ends with SE.

Selling the western studios was the correct call. They clearly couldnt manage them well, why continue to waste millions upon millions instead of streamlining your business?