• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
wccftech.com

CDPR Talks GI vs RT Illumination in Cyberpunk 2077 and Using JALI to Automate Facial Animation

CD Projekt RED developers discussed the difference between regular GI versus ray-traced bolstered illumination in Cyberpunk 2077.

This news is pretty big, no AMD ray Tracing at launch, means I'm buying 3070 for certain now. I expected Big Navi to have support day 1

MOD EDIT:

Ray tracing will only be available on PCs with GeForce graphics cards or via GeForce NOW at launch, though we expect that it'll be eventually compatible with AMD's new Navi graphics cards as well as being featured on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X once the proper enhancement updates drop for the next-gen consoles in 2021.

Last edited by a moderator:

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I thought that would be on an API level that would make it fairly easy to support both Nvidia and AMD cards?

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Big Navi won't launch until after the game comes out, going by the fact AMD revealed their Ryzen 5000 CPUs on Oct 8th and the launch is Nov 5th.
RDNA2 is being revealed on Oct 28th.

Also, isn't it an Nvidia supported title? They've been partnered with them for months, so the exclusivity makes sense.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Nvidia put in the effort, so of course.

You can't just tick the "ray tracing" box and have it work like magic, and AMD just don't have the developer relations capacity and capability for whatever reason.

Even if AMD come out with some masterwork GPU, they're still going to be tremendously behind Nvidia on actual implementation.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't mean much until we know when the AMD cards release. If they don't release before Cyberpunk then this is a given, no?

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I'm confused by the wording. The article says that the game needs DirectX 12 and I thought the DX12 RT API (DXR) is supposed to be vendor agnostic. Is it "Nvidia only" just because there's no AMD cards with ray tracing yet?

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
RIP AMD

I'm genuinely interested in what their version of Raytracing is going to be, but this may hurt their launch sales.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't surprise me if Nvidia just made a marketing deal for that. Would be scummy but obviously rather effective. Of course, AMDs cards are yet to be announced so maybe part of the issue lies there with no option to test yet.

Would be scummy but probably very effective. IgorsLAB says that nvidia has a lot of 3070s ready to flood the market after AMD announced their new generation, basically just waiting for pricing. DLSS and exclusive raytracing for Cyberpunk 77 are obviously going to make the 3070 that much more attractive.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I guess you could read this one way or another. AMD cards probably won't launch before the game.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now the true choice for a lot of people begins.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Am I missing something, but isn't conclusion that AMD cards can't run games RT effects on day 1 just assumption / speculation by WCCTech?

Not something developer said.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Nice, no 3080 or AMD gpu for me until 2021 I guess since AMD will probably miss the launch and 3080's are in the wind

Max A.

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't surprise me if Nvidia just made a marketing deal for that. Would be scummy but obviously rather effective. Of course, AMDs cards are yet to be announced so maybe part of the issue lies there with no option to test yet.

Would be scummy but probably very effective. IgorsLAB says that nvidia has a lot of 3070s ready to flood the market after AMD announced their new generation, basically just waiting for pricing. DLSS and exclusive raytracing for Cyberpunk 77 are obviously going to make the 3070 that much more attractive.
We also don't get DLSS and RTX on AMD sponsored games like Horizon (and the new Assassin's Creed?). It's scummy on both sides, these exclusive deals are such bullshit, I want DLSS everywhere!

Maxi

Oct 25, 2017
I mean that is expected right considering the AMD API had only just about hit and Cypberpunk is a game that was dev'd for like 6 months ago. The graphics guys aren't going to be re writing the rending engine for the AMD API/Drivers. Might come later once the new GPU and mature drivers hit.

Sounds like they are crunching pretty hard to get it to ship in a state they are happy with so aren't going top be messing with experimental RT features.

Give the poor Graphics coders a break! Don't want them crunching another extra 100 hours to implement the AMD api.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
There's several things you need to make RT work beyond just hardware capable of it. First and foremost are the drivers that make the card work and identify to the games that it's compatible with the feature. It's why RT options are grayed out if you don't have an RTX card, even if you're on Nvidia.

And we all know how AMD is well known for being on the ball with their drivers, right?

That's assuming AMD's cards can run RT using the exact same APIs that Nvidia's cards can and that it really is as simple as flipping a switch (which is probably true, but we don't know 100% just yet). But it's up to AMD to flip that switch, not the developers.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Watchdogs has Nvidia marketing and is even giving out codes with the new cards so i'll doubt they'll be able to show that off before release

It's doing RT on consoles and it's the same architecture so there's no reason to believe it can't do it on PC

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
We also don't get DLSS and RTX on AMD sponsored games like Horizon (and the new Assassin's Creed?). It's scummy on both sides, these exclusive deals are such bullshit, I want DLSS everywhere!

DLSS is proprietary tech that is only 100% possible on Nvidia, RT can be made using standard APIs open to all hardware vendors AFAIK
but, considering the AMD hardware with RT support is not even out yet, and the game is so close to launch it's understandable.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Well excellent. Hold on while I flush my remaining ideas to snag a 3000 series this year down the toilet.

Deleted member 54216

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 26, 2019
User banned (1 week): derailing with platform wars trolling over a series of posts. Previous infractions for trolling.
I know why I prefer consoles. I don't have to deal with this kind of nonsense.

cheduff

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks. Luckily I snagged a 3080 last week. RT has been blowing my mind. Control, Call Off Duty, Minecraft, Deliver Us The Moon, have all floored me. Cyberpunk is going to be insane.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused here because I was under the impression that RTX was still using the DXR API, it was just Nvidia optimized, compared to DLSS being an actual Nvidia-specific implementation of using machine learning for the purposes of upscaling resolutions.

Mark It Zero!

Apr 24, 2020
Am I missing something, but isn't conclusion that AMD cards can't run games RT effects on day 1 just assumption / speculation by WCCTech?

Not something developer said.
Yep. People jumping to conclussions as always instead of reading the article.

If RT is implemented using the standar extensions of DX/Vulkan it should work on AMD hard.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
What is the exact quote? Pardon me for not believing WCCFT piece on that.

Technically this could only be possible if CP2077 aims at using RT solely in conjunction with DLSS which would result in unplayable framerates on h/w which doesn't have the latter.

PC is not getting a Vulkan version of CP2077, at least not at launch.
PC is getting D3D12 version of CP2077 at launch and as the only version probably.