AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
apps.24222.63283233232126176.842a7578-9d6c-4fa4-81fc-4d1b1bc868ae.27431897-4ac3-4bf0-a67a-2a0a936e8f4e

I decided to load my save from when I played this game years ago. I wanted to play the game and I knew I was missing some items and areas, so I jumped in after years of not touching the game.

I knew the game was good, but goddamn, I had forgotten just how great it is. Everything about it is superb: the controls, the mechanics, the music, and the atmosphere. This game oozes atmosphere like crazy. The music works beautifully with the art design to create a cohesive whole that really gives the game its own signature feel. Here's a taste of the music:

The most impressive part is that this game was made by one dude: Petroglyph Games alumni Tom Happ. He did everything: design, programming, art and music. Goddamn. Mad impressive.

I am super pumped for the sequel. I'll have to check some youtube videos that explore the first game's lore. Any recommendations? Any VaatiVidya-like for this game?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I could not get into this game at all, I suspect because people told me it was almost exactly like metroid and of a similar quality (and I bought it on that basis). It didn't feel much like metroid so I bounced fairly early.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
It's ok in my book, the atmosphere is intriguing, sometimes it looks like a mess. The bosses are all pretty boring for the most part as are most of the enemy designs in the game. The guns can be cool but the level and enemy design don't put them to interesting use. The level design is alright in its pacing and scenarios but nothing particularly stands out as memorable. The ost is pretty good in general. I can appreciate the novelty of the items, but the general moveset isn't that interesting to use.

It's fine but nowhere close to a top tier game overall for me.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Did some stuff other metroidvanias should incorporate, specifically its respawn mechanic

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
apps.24222.63283233232126176.842a7578-9d6c-4fa4-81fc-4d1b1bc868ae.27431897-4ac3-4bf0-a67a-2a0a936e8f4e

I decided to load my save from when I played this game years ago. I wanted to play the game and I knew I was missing some items and areas, so I jumped in after years of not touching the game.

I knew the game was good, but goddamn, I had forgotten just how great it is. Everything about it is superb: the controls, the mechanics, the music, and the atmosphere. This game oozes atmosphere like crazy. The music works beautifully with the art design to create a cohesive whole that really gives the game its own signature feel. Here's a taste of the music:

The most impressive part is that this game was made by one dude: Petroglyph Games alumni Tom Happ. He did everything: design, programming, art and music. Goddamn. Mad impressive.

I am super pumped for the sequel. I'll have to check some youtube videos that explore the first game's lore. Any recommendations? Any VaatiVidya-like for this game?

That music track, and the area it plays in in particular, are just top-tier stuff. So damn good. I think this game is right up there with Hollow Knight, for sure. I feel like comparing it, HK, Super Metroid/Fusion/Zero Mission, and SOTN/AOS/OOE is really just splitting hairs as they're all amazing metroidvanias. Can't wait for both AV2 and Silksong.

Jan 11, 2018
It was a decent Metroid clone, though the final two areas felt unfinished and quite bad. Looking forward to the sequel which looks more unique.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I played it when it released on Vita back around 2016, and just replayed it on Switch and I appreciated it way more the second time.

I took my time and really grew to understand how well the map is laid out, how the mechanics fit together, and especially the super cool glitch gun/tool.

I wish the optional guns you could unlock were a little more worthwhile, there's only a few that actually feel worth it (like the flame thrower). But that's pretty much my only complaint with the game.

I'm so excited for the sequel, more so than any other Metroidvania this year.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
One of my favorite games of last gen. The first game I bought after buying a PS4. Can't wait for the second game.

Blasphemous is also an underrated game of similar mechanics. If you haven't played it OP you should give it a shot.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
I went through it again this past Spring, before the AV2 delay. It's a very fun game that held down the fort until Metroid's triumphant return. For me, this is another Taxman-Sega situation where if Nintendo said they were handing T.Happ the keys to 2D Metroid, I'd be like... yup, this is the person! Really hope AV2 makes it this year. Dread and AV2 on my Switch OLED makes for a happy me, lol.

This track fucking sends me everytime!

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
Absolutely love this game. It's my favourite of all the games that have come out in the metroidvania resurgence the last few years. I completely agree on the soundtrack too. Cellular Skies is a particular favourite.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it, although I wish the map was better in terms of marking where items you have/haven't collected are (at least when I played it last, it didn't have this).

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't actually like the visuals or controls that much, and I don't even remember the music.
(Edit: Now I remember there was an absolutely awful music track playing at one section pretty far to the right, I think it had "vocals" and I couldn't stand it, so overall a negative on the music as well.)

I did however LOVE the level design and the power-ups, and it's probably the only game I've ever played through 3 times in a row to get faster and faster times. Just because the overall game design was so spot-on and enjoyable.

One of the best Metroidvanias!

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wish the optional guns you could unlock were a little more worthwhile, there's only a few that actually feel worth it (like the flame thrower). But that's pretty much my only complaint with the game.
Yeah there are way too many guns that aren't worth anything.

I didn't actually like the visuals or controls that much, and I don't even remember the music.
(Edit: Now I remember there was an absolutely awful music track playing at one section pretty far to the right, I think it had "vocals" and I couldn't stand it, so overall a negative on the music as well.)
I know which track you're talking about, and it's definitely weak. It's the only one in the game that I dislike.

ignata

Dec 26, 2017
Denver
This was the first game in a long time where when I knew I was near the end I was disappointed it was almost over.

GabriocheXD

May 27, 2019
Really a great game, loved it. I also suggest Environmental Station Alpha to anyone who liked Action Verge.

thelooseteeth

Mar 8, 2019
Played through it for the second time a few weeks back and liked it as much as I did the first time. Waited long enough to forget the critical path, so it felt fresh. It filled the metroid void created by the dread announcement, anyway.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Wasn't this entire game, OST included, made by one person? Extremely impressive.

I really like Axiom Verge. It has flaws, but it's very enjoyable for it's 8-10 hours of playtime.

Looking forward to the successor.

And yes, the music is awesome and fits the aesthetic perfectly.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
A really good game. Some of the best "i wonder if something's hidden there … there is!" moments in games

I remember being blown away by using the glitch ability on an enemy, seeing various text characters flashing over them in a specific pattern in their glitched state, typing those characters on my keyboard, and then opening a secret pathway nearby. 🤯

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently playing Axiom Verge for the first time at the moment and really enjoying it. The soundtrack and the atmosphere are fantastic, and the game controls well. I like how the weapons feel unique within the genre, like the drill and the glitch gun. It's incredible that Happ did all the work himself -- I thought that he'd surely gotten a composer for the music because it was so good, but nope, he did that too. Amazing.

The only thing I haven't enjoyed is that the first two bosses felt bullet spongey and very repetitive in how you fight them, hopefully that improves with power upgrades. Can't wait to play more.

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Hard to believe this game was made by one person. Bought on the Vita, then Switch and beat multiple times. Once you master the system it's legit.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I played it when it released on Vita back around 2016, and just replayed it on Switch and I appreciated it way more the second time.

I'm thinking of doing the same. I liked Axion Verge well enough the first time around, but didn't come close to falling in love like so many others did. It does sound very tempting as a handheld game, though.

Plus, I have since played and fallen in love with the OG Metroid, so the referential/subversive/love letter-y bits should do more for me next time.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'm thinking of doing the same. I liked Axion Verge well enough the first time around, but didn't come close to falling in love like so many others did. It does sound very tempting as a handheld game, though.

Plus, I have since played and fallen in love with the OG Metroid, so the referential/subversive/love letter-y bits should do more for me next time.
I took my time with the second playthrough and really forced myself not to use a guide (think I might have in one or spots, but one small secret stuff) and it really made me appreciate the design a lot more.

Like when you fall down a pit and get the grapple hook, instead of being frustrated and looking up a video for how to get out, I realized that whole area is designed to teach you how to use the grapple. Needing to swing to get across some gaps, jump and grab a ceiling, or grab diagonally to reach a further away spot.

I'd say the only genuinely BAD design in the game are the invisible drill blocks. They can look just like normal blocks with 0 distinguishing marks, but they're still drillable.
Hidden breakable walls are one of my biggest annoyances in Metroidvanias. I should need to smack or use a specific item on EVERY wall in the game to find every secret. If you're going to do it at least let me buy a secret map or something that marks that there's something there.

AV does do a nice thing we're it'll mark on the map if you've found every room and collectible in an area. It's less direct than putting all the secrets on the map, but it helps to let you know you missed something.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I took my time with the second playthrough and really forced myself not to use a guide (think I might have in one or spots, but one small secret stuff) and it really made me appreciate the design a lot more.

Like when you fall down a pit and get the grapple hook, instead of being frustrated and looking up a video for how to get out, I realized that whole area is designed to teach you how to use the grapple. Needing to swing to get across some gaps, jump and grab a ceiling, or grab diagonally to reach a further away spot.

I'd say the only genuinely BAD design in the game are the invisible drill blocks. They can look just like normal blocks with 0 distinguishing marks, but they're still drillable.
Hidden breakable walls are one of my biggest annoyances in Metroidvanias. I should need to smack or use a specific item on EVERY wall in the game to find every secret. If you're going to do it at least let me buy a secret map or something that marks that there's something there.

AV does do a nice thing we're it'll mark on the map if you've found every room and collectible in an area. It's less direct than putting all the secrets on the map, but it helps to let you know you missed something.

Alright, you definitely have me feeling like I grossly underappreciated AV's take on the formula, lol. Sounds great. Even that invisible drill block thing, which I'm sure I'll end up finding annoying too, has me curious about how the game mixes OG Metroid's sensibilities with modern design staples and some innovations.

Actually been on a 2D Metroid kick since Dread's announcement, and all I have left is Samus Returns. Looking forward to hitting up AV afterwards.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
That's Inexorable. Oddly enough, it's my favorite track in the game, but I kinda understand why someone wouldn't like it.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
That's Inexorable. Oddly enough, it's my favorite track in the game, but I kinda understand why someone wouldn't like it.

Listening to it now, I admit it was harsh to call it "awful". I think it was the regular walking between the two regions and hearing those opening seconds over and over again, that grated on my nerves. :)

Edit: No okay, the voices really do become grating after a while, with all the cutting and repeating. 😅

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I saw Happ mention in a tweet a while back that the sequel will release well in advance of Metroid Dread. So maybe August or early September at the very very latest?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I loved the atmosphere in the game, reminded me of a bunch of C64 games back in the day like the Thalamus stuff. And obviously the Metroid influence. Very different to most other Metroid(vanias) we get these days.

One of my favourite games of all time.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Listening to it now, I admit it was harsh to call it "awful". I think it was the regular walking between the two regions and hearing those opening seconds over and over again, that grated on my nerves. :)

Edit: No okay, the voices really do become grating after a while, with all the cutting and repeating. 😅
I think I like how alien it sounds.

The instrumental part is really cool. Maybe a version without the vocals would be appreciated.

Last edited:

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Never knew the programmer also made the music! I love the main theme soook fucking good! Love to listen it on the car

Oct 25, 2017
It's an awesome game and a miles better Metroid than Metroid Returns. Super impressive that Happ did all of this on his own and hearing the drama he and his family had to go through, is heart-wrenching.

Will buy the sequel without a doubt.

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
I saw the special edition Switch version for a reasonable price and went for it. My first play lasted hours and I don't even like Metroidvanias. Highly recommended.

Jun 2, 2019
It's so good at what it wants to do that i have the same love/hate relationship with this game that i have with the original Metroid.

I won't say it's a masterpiece, but it's pretty damn good.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
One of the better in the genre for sure. I'm not sold on the second yet (the trailers didn't grab me much), but he's earned the benefit of the doubt.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Great job OP. Now I need to replay this game. I loved it some years ago, it completely calmed my Metroid thirst.

Oct 26, 2017
The way it utilized it's retro aesthetic was superb and it reminded me how a a pixel art game can still be extremely atmospheric.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's an absolutely amazing game. I'd love to replay it but I doubt it would have the same impact as it did first time.

Genuinely think it's (at least) top three metroidvanias ever. I think it's better than some of the classics for sure.

itsaziz

Nov 8, 2017
It's decent but the whole glitching and pixel art makes the game look bad. Also the hallucination section sucks.

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
Such a great game, I loved playing it. I'm not one for most in game music (appreciating or even noticing it really) but this stood out, simply superb. You know he released a randomizer back in Jan of this year right? I gave it a shot and it's pretty cool.