• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
I really like Axiom Verge. It has flaws, but it's very enjoyable for it's 8-10 hours of playtime.
I played this but did not finish it. Got stumped at one point and didn't get back to it. If it's only 10 hours I should really revisit. I have it for PS4 but should probably buy in a Switch sale.

EDIT: Looks like HLTB has it at 25 hours

Last edited:

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
I played this but did not finish it. Got stumped at one point and didn't get back to it. If it's only 10 hours I should really revisit. I have it for PS4 but should probably buy in a Switch sale.

EDIT: Looks like HLTB has it at 25 hours
Definitely not 25 hours. You might have looked at the wrong game on HLTB. A regular run through the game should be roughly 10 hours. I recommend giving it another shot.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Trying to find something as good as hollow knight, is this it? I also beat the 2 Ori games. I need something else

RGamer2009

Oct 28, 2017
Yeap, definitely one of the better Metroidvania games I have played.

This track in particular just left me in complete awe when I heard it the first time. The best track in my opinion:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
(Edit: Now I remember there was an absolutely awful music track playing at one section pretty far to the right, I think it had "vocals" and I couldn't stand it, so overall a negative on the music as well.)
I dropped the game because of it... >.>

It was incredibly grating, and the level itself was annoying, I'd often die to some enemies or by falling in some toxic ooze, and would have to tediously climb back up there and I just got frustrated. I know I was early in the game but I also found the bosses boring (the 2nd boss in particular was incredibly tedious and not fun at all, basically just jump to shoot at the thing on its head and repeat for several minutes).

I don't think it's a bad game per se but I didn't see anything in it that was particularly amazingly done or compelling, and the part I made it to was incredibly irritating, so I abandoned it.
Trying to find something as good as hollow knight, is this it? I also beat the 2 Ori games. I need something else
Salt and Sanctuary, Valdis Story and Blasphemous are far better Metroidvania games.

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
i really need to try this again. got to the final boss before quitting. i remember it being a neat, but convoluted and messy game. progressing did not always feel as fluid as it should be.
but everyone is raving over it still so perhaps it needs a second look

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely not. All 3 of those are Metroidvanias through and through. S&S is also Souls-like but it's still a Metroidvania, Blasphemous is absolutely not a Souls-like at all.
No. It has Souls mechanics. It's a Soulslike. No game that emulates Souls is a Metroidvania. If you're looking to play a MV, and you end up dodging a giant monster attacking twice then dodging again over and over and get a YOU DIED screen, that's totally not the same thing.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Is there a preferred platform to play this on? I've got Series X, Switch and Steam (wired older Xbox controller).

Morrigan

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
No game that emulates Souls is a Metroidvania.
Ah yes, because games cannot be hybrids. If you have RPG mechanics, your game cannot have action combat. This is flawless logic. /s

Anyway it's easy to see how wrong you are. Metroidvanias are not defined by their combat systems or their RPG mechanics (or lack thereof), they are defined by their world structure and level design.
Not only does Blasphemous not even have any stamina-based combat nor much of anything else making it Souls-like beyond some superficial "influence" (much like, say, Hollow Knight -- which is what the poster asked recommendations for!), in both S&S and Blasphemous, you have a non-linear, platforming side-scroller where you backtrack with traversal upgrades to access new areas. Calling them Metroidvanias is not incorrect, so please stop derailing this thread.

Is there a preferred platform to play this on? I've got Series X, Switch and Steam (wired older Xbox controller).
I'd assume all versions run fine since it's not a very demanding game, so it'd be whichever you prefer (e.g. Switch if you want portability, PC if not, etc). It was free on EGS a while back so you might have a copy of it for PC already.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I dropped the game because of it... >.>

It was incredibly grating, and the level itself was annoying, I'd often die to some enemies or by falling in some toxic ooze, and would have to tediously climb back up there and I just got frustrated. I know I was early in the game but I also found the bosses boring (the 2nd boss in particular was incredibly tedious and not fun at all, basically just jump to shoot at the thing on its head and repeat for several minutes).

I don't think it's a bad game per se but I didn't see anything in it that was particularly amazingly done or compelling, and the part I made it to was incredibly irritating, so I abandoned it.

Salt and Sanctuary, Valdis Story and Blasphemous are far better Metroidvania games.
Which of those 3 would you rate as the best?

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
Ah yes, because games cannot be hybrids. If you have RPG mechanics, your game cannot have action combat. This is flawless logic. /s

Anyway it's easy to see how wrong you are. Metroidvanias are not defined by their combat systems or their RPG mechanics (or lack thereof), they are defined by their world structure and level design.
Not only does Blasphemous not even have any stamina-based combat nor much of anything else making it Souls-like beyond some superficial "influence" (much like, say, Hollow Knight -- which is what the poster asked recommendations for!), in both S&S and Blasphemous, you have a non-linear, platforming side-scroller where you backtrack with traversal upgrades to access new areas. Calling them Metroidvanias is not incorrect, so please stop derailing this thread.

So Contra's a SHMUP. Good to know.

Ironic this happens in a thread about a game that's being called a "poor Metroidvania" when it actually runs closest to straight up Metroid out of all those listed games. It has no stats based progression at all. So yes, it's a "poor" metroidvania (despite it's completely useless categorical classification). Very good Metroid however.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I'd assume all versions run fine since it's not a very demanding game, so it'd be whichever you prefer (e.g. Switch if you want portability, PC if not, etc). It was free on EGS a while back so you might have a copy of it for PC already.
Oh good call, yeah I think I do have it on EGS, thx!

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
I played through it here a few weeks ago and still have some of the music stuck in my head.

So yeah, it's pretty great. Kinda wish it tracked item locations better instead of having to rely on only 2 manual reminders per map.

Morrigan

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Which of those 3 would you rate as the best?
It depends on what you prefer and what you like about Hollow Knight. As a Souls fan I do prefer Salt and Sanctuary over the rest. If you want more fast-paced action combat and some RPG-lite mechanics, Valdis Story. If you'd rather keep the dark fantasy setting but want to avoid the RPG/Souls-like aspect, I'd recommend Blasphemous.

Of course, I don't think Axiom Verge is a bad game either despite my earlier criticism, so if you want to try a more traditional Metroid-like and/or a sci-fi aesthetic, it's a good choice too. Assuming you haven't already played Super Metroid itself, which is the GOAT!

So Contra's a SHMUP. Good to know.

Ironic this happens in a thread about a game that's being called a "poor Metroidvania" when it actually runs closest to straight up Metroid out of all those listed games. It has no stats based progression at all. So yes, it's a "poor" metroidvania (despite it's completely useless categorical classification). Very good Metroid however.
Wut. I have no idea what you're even saying anymore, but all of this post seems to be replying to something literally no one in this thread has said.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
Wut. I have no idea what you're even saying anymore, but all of this post seems to be replying to something literally no one in this thread has said.
Not sure what you're reading then.

Then I disagreed with that comment and I'm instantly derailing the thread. (As Salt and Sanctuary is a far cry from say.. SOTN, Time Spinner, or Valdis Story for example. It's like someone asking for a carefully structured game and being recommended a roguelike with procedurally generated levels) Small wonder you thought so if you managed to not see the comment I was quoting somehow.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I like the game but every time I've played it I just got stuck and didn't know where to go. Found myself running around the entire map trying to figure out where I needed to go to progress.

That always kills the experience in any game like this for me. Maybe I was just misunderstanding something, I'll never know I guess. But in comparison, games like Hollow Knight I was able to find my way without issue, and I think that games map is much more complex.

Have you played Yoku Island express? Not to say it's as good as Hollow Knight, because I don't think any of your options are really, but I think it's a very underappreciated metroidvania and I'd personally rank it after Hollow Knight and Ori as far as modern metroidvanias go.

Last edited:

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I just finally completed this game after putting it down a few months after release. I had come back to it after a few weeks and forgot where I was supposed to go next/what I had just done etc. and I just got frustrated trying to figure it out and didn't want to start over.

Motivated by the sequel's appearance at E3 I decided to start over completely. The game still has serious issues regarding signposting imo, which I understand is likely intentional on the part of trying to feel like the original Metroid that had basically no assistance whatsoever in this regard.

Still, given the sort of meta nature of the game, it feels like a lot of the discovery aspect of hidden rooms/areas/weapons/notes etc is reliant on me putting in a layer of meticulousness I'm not interested in. I don't have a clear picture of the wider lore/story and I'm not going to go and find the last few notes I'd need to put it all together. I actually kind of like that I only understand about 75% of what actually happened, it feels appropriate.

That said the game is largely fantastic and I really enjoyed my time with it (save for one infuriating boss battle) and I can't wait for the sequel.

You won't find Axiom Verge to be nearly as graceful or fluid as those games. Most of it's innovation/interest comes from how you manipulate the game world, not the combat itself.

Morrigan

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Then I disagreed with that comment and I'm instantly derailing the thread. (As Salt and Sanctuary is a far cry from say.. SOTN, Time Spinner, or Valdis Story for example. It's like someone asking for a carefully structured game and being recommended a roguelike with procedurally generated levels) Small wonder you thought so if you managed to not see the comment I was quoting somehow.
What? All I said was that I didn't find it that great and then recommended games I thought were better in the same genre to someone who asked, then you proceeded to lecture me about how these games aren't actually in the same genre using spurious arguments. You don't have to agree with my picks but your #notruemetroidvania derail is getting grating so please stop.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
in a world of endless indie metroidvanias it is a good metroid, looking forward to the sequel. i don't think it's necessarily all that great, like the weapons almost feel totally pointless to chase around because i hardly use more than two of them, and most of the bosses aren't actually very good, but ultimately it's got good atmosphere and that counts for a lot

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
in a world of endless indie metroidvanias it is a good metroid, looking forward to the sequel. i don't think it's necessarily all that great, like the weapons almost feel totally pointless to chase around because i hardly use more than two of them, and most of the bosses aren't actually very good, but ultimately it's got good atmosphere and that counts for a lot
The Kilver's ability to hit through walls renders basically everything else useless outside of few specific scenarios; it really shouldn't have been the only weapon capable of doing that.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019

They're all metroidvanias, for sure, although Blasphemous is a weird one IMO due to how it does that backtracking with traversal upgrades part. As far as I remember, every single movement ability upgrade in the game is entirely optional - and while they do give you access to new abilities as well, those too are usually more movement-based and also optional. So it kind of plays out more like a straight action platformer, but turns into a metroidvania if you do optional side exploration, which is really unique and I'm not sure I've ever encountered that before in a game. I'd still call it a metroidvania overall, and I'm not meaning to argue or anything - I'm not entirely sure what my point is here, I guess I just wanted to mention how interesting I find that game's structure :).

I will say, for actual games that are specifically metroid-like and not heavy on the -vania portion, Axiom Verge is one of the very few that fit that bill. So I'm glad we're getting another one soon (plus an actual Metroid!) to fill that more specific niche

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i do like how some people hate the weird vocal song and i fucking love it, it's such an odd song to put in there

prettymuch the only song i revisit with regularity, though the ost in general is quite good

hasher

Oct 10, 2020
I played through Zero Mission and Fusion the last two weekends and Axiom Verge is better than them both.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Not perfect but quite an incredible achievement for a solo project and certainly worth playing.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry to bump up a month-old topic, but can someone help me get unstuck in this game? According to my achievements list, I have yet to beat the Sentinel boss, so maybe anyone looking to help can tell me where to find this boss. Also, in this video I found of said boss, the player is using a weapon I haven't seen before. I guess that could also help point me in the right direction.

Edit: There's also a bunch of "Get 100% of weapons/abilities/etc." achievements that I'm missing, but I may or may not go for those.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to bump up a month-old topic, but can someone help me get unstuck in this game? According to my achievements list, I have yet to beat the Sentinel boss, so maybe anyone looking to help can tell me where to find this boss. Also, in this video I found of said boss, the player is using a weapon I haven't seen before. I guess that could also help point me in the right direction.

Edit: There's also a bunch of "Get 100% of weapons/abilities/etc." achievements that I'm missing, but I may or may not go for those.

The Sentinel is in region 9: Mar-Uru. Check this map:

ddj8ypa-f8186f75-5882-455f-83f6-6b01bb80475d.png

Which coat do you have: the white, brown or red one? Take note of the coat you have, then search in this video to see what the player is doing when they get the same coat you have. That should point you in the right direction.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
The Sentinel is in region 9: Mar-Uru. Check this map:

ddj8ypa-f8186f75-5882-455f-83f6-6b01bb80475d.png

Which coat do you have: the white, brown or red one? Take note of the coat you have, then search in this video to see what the player is doing when they get the same coat you have. That should point you in the right direction.

Thanks, that helped! I managed to beat the game just from looking at the map and finding a few missing things, though it turned out that I was near the end, anyway.