texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
No, not Original Sin 2 but these ones:

A111d4CQcEL.jpg
10584131-1325696166-960700.jpg
Divinity-II-Developers-Cut-Free-Download.jpg

It's kinda rttp but more like lttp, since the first time I played it, I only spent an hour or so and dropped it after I reached the first town. I thought it's more akin to Kingdom of Amalur back then which bored me with its simplistic quests design. But last weekend, I suddenly had the urge to install the Director's Cut that has been sitting in my library forever. This time, I thought I'll try it while I wait for BG3 and I gave it a fair chance and wow, what a surprise it is.

The major points are definitely the lore, quests, and exploration. The narrative and writing are also so much fun and engaging, while also might get intense at times. If you've played Original Sin games and not this one yet, you can expect a lot of goofy and quirky dialogues whether from the NPCs or your dialogue choices. The quests are what you can expect from CRPGs, multiple ways to complete with multiple closures which will directly (or eventually) impact the people around you. There are many guards in the first town alone, for example, and every one of them is named. It's not without a reason, since a lot of them are either part of the story or some quests. The same goes with the town folks. Anyway, I love exploring the traditional wide linear maps with teleportation points here and there in this game. With the overflowing amount of open world games these days with free fast travel and respawning enemies, I kinda miss this kind of exploration in RPGs.

But it didn't come with its shortcomings as well, especially the combat. While the combat is a little bit janky, it's not as bad as your regular eurojank ones. It's actually quite fun and engaging. But what bothers me the most is the encounter design, especially in later parts of the game where you start encountering huge groups of enemies at once. A lot of the enemies can attack you from both melee and ranged, including magic, and you'd be busy avoiding them than dealing some damage because there's just so many of them throwing shit at you at once. There's also the part where you can transform into a dragon which change the gameplay quite considerably, but I feel like it's still quite undercooked. If only these parts of the game could be more refined, I believe the game would be more well received overall. I wonder if they have plans to remaster/soft remake it?

Now comes the future of Larian, what should they do next? I think Divinity II may server as a good prototype for their next game. With everything they've learned and gathered since this game, they could probably give another go at another 3rd person action combat RPG. With more budget and manpower this time, it would be amazing and might become their The Witcher 3 breakthrough.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I really want them having another go at 3rd person RPGs. I like them better than SRPGs. And I don't necessarily want a new BG immediately, but I'd take anything from them at this point, including a new original IP.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
we'll prob get at least one expansion to BG3 first, but i think dipping into both arpgs and crpgs is a good call

maybe a new original action rpg?

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
dragon commander needs a run back

edit: less snarky - I think there's maybe room in the market for a dialogue heavy ARPG, but it's a risky thing. That genre has titans defining what the genre is, and the established player base plays them for the character power fantasy and systems not the dialogue. Larian would have to bring its fans over on its own brand's reputation.

Last edited:

cubicle47b

Aug 9, 2019
Definitely Baldur's Gate 4 or Original Sin 3. There are plenty of other companies making action RPGs.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they or someone would fix the PC version because it stutters massively on every modern machine I've tried it on. Fortunately the 360 version works very well on Series X. It's a great game, I enjoy it very much. Lovely soundtrack too.

redbomb6

Sep 22, 2021
I think it would be cool for them to try again. Don't necessarily need to tie it to their existing IP either.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I played this in spring for my Backlogathon.

It's BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD. Like, really bad. The were done dirty before kickstarter, sent into realms of game design they had no business in and away from their strengths.

Just listen to the Late Great Kirill Pokrovsky's unearthly beauty and put a remaster out of your mind.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQStDwm1j2c

Did you play Ego Draconis or Dragon Knight Saga/Developer's Cut?

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
I want them to make expansions to BG3, take us to new lands, let us get past level 12, etc. etc. Theyve found their strength in CRPGs for now and nobody can do it like them.

I hope they make Neverwinter Nights 3 after the inevitable BG3 expansion.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I would prefer to have them stick to turn based CRPGs. They're becoming quite unique in that space with the kinda budgets they have, so there's no replacements, with cheaper productions being the only other option.

A third person cinematic RPG with real time combat could possibly result in bigger sales for them, but my personal interest would go way down if that's where they end up.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
Even though some of those action games were cool, Larian always wanted to make Baldur's Gate style games. To the point they defended the really awkward 2-character control in Beyond Divinity as "this is more like Baldur's Gate, therefore it is good." Now that they are making money with turn-based, I doubt they ever return to action games. Maybe they could license the IP out to another dev though.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
It was Ego Dragonis that made me a Larian fan and has had me throwing money at them ever since.

I loved this game, yeah pretty damn janky, but very fun. The writing really makes it stand out. Also the music - RIP Kirill - is beautiful.

The mind reading, build your own necro zombie, the tower and that ending! So good.

MAXOS!

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would love for them to do a Divinity 3. Eco draconis has been a guilty pleasure since release!

It's a bit rough around the edges, but it ki d of reminded me of fable in terms of tone which I appreciated!

03-AALIYAH

Jul 21, 2023
Original Sin 3. Minor drawbacks aside, I liked the tone and the sandboxy exploration of these ones.

But I expect them to prioritize Baldur 4 if BG3 is a commercial success.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
I don't mind either way, but they now do have a motion capture studio and bigger budget to return to make a third person action RPG like Divinity III or some other type

Regardless, if it's CRPG or not, what I actually want is for them to make something scifi

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
First-person RPG 😎

In all seriousness, I support whatever Larian want to make.

I feel like Larian would have been a great choice for the KOTOR remake.

Syne

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Feb 5, 2023
UK
It was Ego Dragonis that made me a Larian fan and has had me throwing money at them ever since.

I loved this game, yeah pretty damn janky, but very fun. The writing really makes it stand out. Also the music - RIP Kirill - is beautiful.

The mind reading, build your own necro zombie, the tower and that ending! So good.

MAXOS!
I was the same, I remember randomly coming across the demo on the 360 marketplace and after I finished it I immediately went out to pick up a copy of the game! I would love it if they ever felt like doing another one of those

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
I believe Swen said in an interview that he always wanted to make turn based RPGs but the publishers they worked for prior to original sin 1 never allowed it. They haven't looked back since, and if BG 3 sells as much as we all believe it will, there is no reason to change.

I do believe that the 3rd Person Camera will get more prominent in their Games going forward, just like it is already happening in BG 3. And i mean that while currently the games are more isometiric with the ability to zoom in to near over the shoulder, i can see it switching in the future with 3rd Person being the standard with the ability to zoom out into isometric.
Turn based will (thankfully) stay though i think.

azfaru

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Honestly I'd like more of what they do best. But in a new setting and IP. Its a rare treat to get a game like theirs. We're already flooded with the same old third person RPG formulas.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I'd really like it if they branched out more from their current formula while still sticking to CRPGs. The D&D ruleset helps improve a lot over the Original Sin games, but much of the game design still revolves around what they set up in those two games (and I don't mean that as a positive).

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I'd love to see them take another stab at 3rd person aRPG with a more cinematic flair, now that they have some experience.

But if BG3 is a huge success, and they wanna go with a sequel, I'll gladly take that as well.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
How about isometric ARPG like Divinity used to instead
That would be nice too, but probably not as their main game. Or perhaps something like Alaloth but with more interactable objects and environmental combos.

Honestly I'd like more of what they do best. But in a new setting and IP. Its a rare treat to get a game like theirs. We're already flooded with the same old third person RPG formulas.
But not with their RPG depths, mostly just action with RPG elements as dressings. That's why I want to see how Larian tackle it.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I didn't like Divinity 2. Or at least, it was entirely forgettable for me, I couldn't even finish it. So I'd rather Larian sticks to what they've been doing lately.

Dec 4, 2017
They should make Dragon Commander 2
Dragon Commander suffered from split focus. You need to command your forces in order to win the battle, but the game also expects you to actively fight in your dragon form. And there's no active pause system, IIRC.

Something like Sacrifice worked better for a FP-RTS because your character only cast spells, and the management aspect was slimmed down.

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
Divinity II was the last game of theirs that I really enjoyed so yes I would prefer if they went back to that instead of Original Sin/BG.

TBH, I really want more of Bellegar or whoever that rhyming/rapping/whatever it was wizard was. I really liked him.

Jul 29, 2023
I would Like Larian to keep making tactical CRPGs preferably turn based(Which is what I expect they will continue to do after all the success of Original Sin 1 and 2 and BG3) or with RTWP.

There are already many companies that make 3rd person action RPGs and even many game series that used to be purely action that are adding action RPGs and stat elements to their new games (like Gow since 2018).

While there has been a resurgence in CRPGs in recent years they are still a smaller portion of the RPG market compared to action RPGs, it would be a shame for me if Larian which are one of the few that make great CRPGs with high production values like Bioware used to with games like Kotor and Dragon Age Origins found success with 3rd person action RPGs and abbandoned CRPGs like Bioware did( I still really like Bioware and Mass Effect which is one of my favourite game series is 3rd person action RPG but still I'm sad what they did to Dragon Age gameplay wise as the series went on after Origins trying to turn it more into an action RPG)

A new Turn Based CRPG in a new setting/IP from Larian sound like the best option to me. Maybe set in a Sci-FI or Steampunk setting to keep things fresh and different but gameplay wise keep going in the direction you are already going since its working very well.

Last edited: