Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
ffx.jpg

The ONLY Final Fantasy game I haven't finished. But I love it! I played it for the first time years ago on PS4 and stopped a bit after I got to the calm lands because I ran into a boss which resembled a giant robot or something (Which after a quick google search was named Defender X) and he was kicking my ass. For some reason my save also prevented me from grinding in the calm lands to beat him (I think it may have been corrupted or something). You would think after an experience like that I would hate the game. Oddly enough it's the contrary. I still listen to the chill music and remember loving the battle system. I now want to start a fresh file on Switch and just breeze through the game as simply as possible with the optimal party members, as I remember experimenting with Kimahri and Rikku back on my last playthrough and that was fun but this time I actually want to beat the game and give all the EXP to the good party members. I have some questions though for you FFX lovers (I know you crazy bastards are out there, people love this fucking game):

• I don't remember ever having to grind before encountering Defender X, but he kicked my ass. Is this supposed to be a level check or am I just bad? I may have screwed up my sphere grid somehow. Speaking of...

• The sphere grid seemed simple enough. I am afraid of getting off track with a character though. Obviously I'm not going to lead Lulu into melee skill territory for example but what general areas should I be aiming for for the main party members?

• Any notable grinding spots or am I good if I fight every random battle?

• is FFX - 2 worth playing afterwards if I liked the gameplay of X?

That's all!

Bonus: my favorite track from the game:

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FF X has like the best world building in any Final Fantasy game ever. FFX-2 is definitely worth playing. Even its just for closure. Its a pretty great game on its own too.

If you love the world of Spira then you should play FFX-2.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a particularly big fan of Final Fantasy but I'm fond of FFX and XIV.

It's a lovely game, I hope you finish it. I basically did the main story and left satisfied.

I had to grind for like 4-5 hours right before the final boss to beat the game so perhaps I rushed it.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I would say the first big spot that I would kick back and "grind" for fun would be the Mihen Highroad, after Luca, or a little later in the Moonflow area when you get your last party member. Lots of strong monsters worth good EXP and items. Calm Lands also good.

I don't really remember Defender X being that big of a block, but he's in front of a couple of difficulty spikes as it is. You were probably just a bit low leveled.

On the regular sphere grid, it's not really too possible to 'mess up' because most of them are actually very linear, with only short branches off of their main path. Only Kimahri really has a lot of option in where to go, and seems to end up a bit underpowered no matter what. IIRC, I think I generally try to have him head towards Auron's section of the grid.

I personally think FFX-2 is a must play if you enjoyed X's narrative, story, themes, etc. But it plays (and sounds) quite a bit different.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
people might be right when they say ffx-2 has a decently cool battle system but even then i think it is pretty sluggish to actually use, and also the rest of the game is a series of trash minigames and vignettes

not recommended

i honestly dont find it a compelling follow up at all

DeSolos

Nov 14, 2017
Maybe it's obvious, but Yuna -> Black Magic.

I beat the X-Defender back in the day using Hyper Mighty G on Yuna, Lulu, Rikku.

Rikku can do Hyper Mighty G by using her Overdrive Mix, and fusing a Lunar Curtain and a Bomb Core. If I remember correctly It casts Haste, Shell, Protect, Regen, and maybe also reflect.

It's a super good set of buffs that maybe too hard to do at that point o the game otherwise.

OP
OP

Deleted member 56266

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Maybe it's obvious, but Yuna -> Black Magic.

I beat the X-Defender back in the day using Hyper Mighty G on Yuna, Lulu, Rikku.

Rikku can do Hyper Mighty G by using her Overdrive Mix, and fusing a Lunar Curtain and a Bomb Core. If I remember correctly It casts Haste, Shell, Protect, Regen, and maybe also reflect.

It's a super good set of buffs that maybe too hard to do at that point o the game otherwise.

I remember reading about a strategy where you give Yuna the 4 black magic spheres and she becomes way better than Lulu. I'll keep it in mind, thanks!

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I do wish Square Enix would patch in the boosters that are in the PC version of the game. I don't know that I'd have the patience to grind anymore.

Shurp

Nov 29, 2017
I don't remember ever having to grind before encountering Defender X, but he kicked my ass. Is this supposed to be a level check or am I just bad? I may have screwed up my sphere grid somehow. Speaking of...
I don't really remember Defender X being that big of a block, but he's in front of a couple of difficulty spikes as it is. You were probably just a bit low leveled.

You can always cheese it by provoking it with Tidus, so that it only uses Blast Punch on him, which only halves his current HP, makes for a pretty easy battle.
Pretty sure its susceptible to blind too, but I may be remembering that wrong

IzzyRX

Powered by Friendship™
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing it right now, just before the final boss, doing some side quest and I can't for the life of me get the 200 dodges or the chocobo race. I was set at doing all the sidequests, but that shit ain't fun. I did almost everything else but fuck those Sigils.
I love it overall, but some minigames are just plain stupid. I'll grind a little with Don Tonberry for AP and finish it, i'm really excited to try FFX-2.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FFX-2's combat system is dope as hell. I'd definitely try it out after beating X. Before XII changed my expectations I considered X-2's combat to be the best in the series. Looking back it's no surprise that they made the huge change with 12

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
FF X has like the best world building in any Final Fantasy game ever. FFX-2 is definitely worth playing. Even its just for closure. Its a pretty great game on its own too.

If you love the world of Spira then you should play FFX-2.

I prefer the original sphere grid. Might as well grind in the calm lands, for Defender X
and right after that is Mt Gagazet w fucking Seymour from hell that will destroy you

OP
OP

Deleted member 56266

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Glad to hear the praise for X-2 as well, guess I will check it out afterwards.

I prefer the original sphere grid. Might as well grind in the calm lands, for Defender X
and right after that is Mt Gagazet w fucking Seymour from hell that will destroy you

Like I said pretty sure I had a corrupted save cause I couldn't go back to the calm lands lol

Shurp

Nov 29, 2017

Oh god, my first play through of that, i was so underleveled for that fights, i ended up getting all my Aeons to overdrive and used them one after the other and just prayed for survival.

"Death awaits you!" dead aeon

OP
OP

Deleted member 56266

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Am also open to any unrelated general tips you FFX experts have for me as I am starting a new playthough.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
  • I don't remember ever having to grind before encountering Defender X, but he kicked my ass. Is this supposed to be a level check or am I just bad? I may have screwed up my sphere grid somehow. Speaking of...
  • The sphere grid seemed simple enough. I am afraid of getting off track with a character though. Obviously I'm not going to lead Lulu into melee skill territory for example but what general areas should I be aiming for for the main party members?
  • is FFX - 2 worth playing afterwards if I liked the gameplay of X?
  1. Defender X and the boss two after him are probably the biggest level checks in the game. Try taming some monsters in the Calm Lands and doing some of the side stuff. Funnily enough, I only got to play FFX way back when because my neighbor got stuck on Defender X. Thanks, buddy!
  2. Just follow their natural paths. The traditional sphere grid is pretty foolproof as you need key spheres to migrate anywhere.
  3. Just fight every random battle. The game isn't grind heavy. Make sure you have a proper boss battle strategy like Hasting your party.
  4. Whereas X was the pinnacle of turn-based battle at the time, X-2 was the pinnacle of active-time battle. If you can look past the ultra-saccharine, it's a good game and a good follow-up lore wise.
Am also open to any unrelated general tips you FFX experts have for me as I am starting a new playthough.
Have fun with Kimahri. People on the internet dislike him because they think he's boring because he doesn't get his own Sphere Grid space. He's your blue mage, go experimental with him. You can make a second status effecter like Wakka, dip into Rikku for steals, chip in with heals, etc. If you're afraid of "breaking" your characters but also want to experience the Sphere Grid for real, do it with Kimahri.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Oh god, my first play through of that, i was so underleveled for that fight
I went out and bought the strategy guide at that point, lol

I'm not sure if there are any quirks specific to the Switch version to watch out for.

It's not a terribly difficult game, unless you're trying to 100% it, just play through however you want and enjoy the ride.

Shurp

Nov 29, 2017

Apart from planning out your route on the sphere grid (beginner or expert btw?) might be worth looking into when you can get key spheres, or some of the other special spheres, getting black magic on Yuna can make Lulu redundant as a character in battle.

if you want to maximize leveling, then you may want to switch through as many characters as you can per battle, as long as they take an action they will gain AP from battle. (this can be quite a slog to do though from my experience, I always start of intending to do so but I always end up using the same few characters all the time)

It's not a terribly difficult game, unless you're trying to 100% it, just play through however you want and enjoy the ride.

This is good advice, don't try and rush through, and for the love of god, try to minimize the battles you flee from or you will end up underleveled by the time you reach the Calm Lands/Gagazet again (my first playthrough ended up this way)

IzzyRX