Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ROTS is awful. Only thing it has going for it is that it's not AOTC, although the dialogue is almost as bad.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
tenor.gif

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I can only think that people that say these things were edgy children when they first watched ROTS.

Either that or this whole thread is an elaborate prank. A troll thread, created with a sole purpose to create anger and anarchy.

Yes, that must be it. There is no way anybody would think ROTS is better than TFA or TLJ........

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I mean, if we constitute meme-ness and unintentional memorability as indicators of quality of a film, yes absolutely Revenge Of The Jedi is better lol.

EDIT: Sith! Confusing titles to these movies, man.

Last edited:

Kimura

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. The Last Jedi
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Rogue One
6. Revenge of the Sith
7. The Force Awakens
8. Attack of the Clones
9. The Phantom Menace

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Many of y'all need space Jesus in this thread.

I'm still in the middle of my RoTS rewatch (Kenobi chasing Grievous after Palpatine reveals himself to Anakin), and it's a ball dropping mess. TFA may play it safe by retreading ground and sacrifice some development and world building for pacing, but it's overall at worst a competent film. It doesn't contradict itself scene by scene and its gags work in the moment instead of poured on, either to lighten what barely resembles serious material or to distract from the horrid execution under it, I can't quite decide.

It's no AoTC, but at this point TPM may be above it. Everything that the events are said or meant to be in RoTS that are supposed to be monumental feel like parodies. The best it gets is "You're supposed to be the Chosen One" scene and the Order 66 montage apart from the Jedi Temple. That's it. Vader is only capable of killing younglings and unarmed CEOs. Palpatine can do the exact same maneuvers as the Jedi and it doesn't matter, sometimes being the first to ask Anakin to do them (spying). The pacing problems from the moment Palpatine is about to be arrested to get to the again non-existent Vader. Indecision if Obi-Wan is the fatherly best friend or mistrusted must be sleeping with my wife even before the turn. The inept Cyborg with TB. Death by broken heart and the whole somehow Vader doesn't realize force chocking to death kills people. Eyes changing to Sith Iris when killing people he would have killed as a Jedi, rather than when he decides to kill helpless younglings.

Opening space battle was okay I suppose.

Upon recent rewatches

1. ESB
  2. ANH
  3. TLJ
  4. RoTJ
  5. TFA
  6. Rogue One
  7. TPM
  8. RoTS
  9. AotC

Last edited:

T'Challa Shakur

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You really hate these disney movies eh? The bad CGI alone and pitiful script just makes it awful. How can you hate how TLJ and TFA is written then turn around and start praising prequel movies?

If you said the 3rd-6th season of Clone Wars, Id agree. But C'mon Son. Stop being salty that a real writer got a hold of Luke and gave him some character development.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
If we're ranking again

The Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
The Last Jedi
The Force Awakens
Rogue One
Return of the Jedi
The Phantom Menace
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Cones

Last edited:
OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
You really hate these disney movies eh? The bad CGI alone and pitiful script just makes it awful. How can you hate how TLJ and TFA is written then turn around and start praising prequel movies?

If you said the 3rd-6th season of Clone Wars, Id agree. But C'mon Son. Stop being salty that a real writer got a hold of Luke and gave him some character development.

Pump your brakes, kid. I said no such thing. TLJ is the best thing since the OT.

EDIT:

Since we are already into rankisn I'll just post my rankings from my other thread.

GOD TIER:
ESB
ANH

Good tier:
ROTJ-TLJ (Time will tell whether TLJ ultimately lands for me, its tied with ROTJ, for now. But, could be pushed into God tier)

Decent tier:
ROTS
TFA

Bad tier:
TPM
RO

Is this even a movie tier?:
AOTC.

Thisman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rankings and score

Empire Strikes Back 10
A new hope 10
Return of the Jedi 9
Revenge of the Sith 7
The force awakens 5-6
The last Jedi 4
Phantom Menace 1
Attack of the Clones 1

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Okay what is happening here.

It seems more and more people are coming to accept the truth that TFA was hot trash if you have ever seen IV.

If you are like 8 or 9 and VII is your first SW then it's a perfectly fine experience, but if you have seen the other films it's a waste of a movie.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
You weren't the guy in every TLJ thread complaining how they ruined everything?

Nah, you must be thinking about someone else. Also, criticism doesn't mean that someone "hates" something. I typically don't spend a lot of time thinking about or criticizing things I hate, only things I care about, a lot. I have my problems with The Last Jedi, Finn and Luke's treatment primarily. But, it is by far the best sequel movie, miles better than TFA, and the right step forward for the franchise. As I said in the OP, TLJ is a messy fucking movie, but also a bold one. I'll take an ambitiously flawed movie over tired retreads and fan-service any day. Which is also why I like ROTS more than TFA, it has its flaws, but it's bold and ambitious while retaining the core of Star Wars. Meanwhile, TFA is just retreading well worn ground like ROTJ but without any of the Luke stuff.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
How do people feel about it after watching the Clone wars cartoon? It basically also now acts as a series finale to the show.

T'Challa Shakur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Nah, you must be thinking about someone else. Also, criticism doesn't mean that someone "hates" something. I typically don't spend a lot of time thinking about or criticizing things I hate, only things I care about, a lot. I have my problems with The Last Jedi, Finn and Luke's treatment primarily. But, it is by far the best sequel movie, miles better than TFA, and the right step forward for the franchise. As I said in the OP, TLJ is a messy fucking movie, but also a bold one. I'll take an ambitiously flawed move over tired retreads and fan-service any day. Which is also why I like ROTS more than TFA, it has its flaws, but it's bold and ambitious while retaining the core of Star Wars. Meanwhile, TFA is just retreading well worn ground like ROTJ but without any of the Luke stuff.

My mistake then. I think I was confusing your avi.

Dench

Nov 26, 2017
The top 100 Star Wars movies:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
4. Return of the Jedi
50. Rogue One
75. The Force Awakens
97. The Phantom Menace
98. The Last Jedi
99. Revenge of the Sith
100. Attack of the Clones

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's personally my favorite along with the Empire Strikes Back.

That said I do understand why people dislike it.

Squall5042

Oct 25, 2017
RoTS is tied with Clones as the worst Star Wars movies. Phantom menace is the only decent of the three. And lol at sequel trilogy hate.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Since this has become another list war. My top 3 (mind you, this is how it entertains ME, not necessarily the film quality) are:

1) ESB
2) TFA
3) RotS

Yes, you don't have to exclusively like one batch of trilogies.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely agree, its not a controversial opinion.

ROTS is a good movie, with some of the best Starwars moments in the Saga.

Darth Plageus the wise was bloody chilling.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with the OP. While TFA and TLJ may have been superior films in areas such as direction. Taken as a whole, specifically as episodes in a grand space opera and not isolated films or one offs, ROTS is superior.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
ROTS is the worst Star Wars prequel. None of the prequels are close to on par with the OT.
I've chilled. I'm totally chill now. Chill.

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm seriously never gonna enter another Star Wars thread on Era ever again. The hyperbole from some of these posts.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
I Like it more than ROTJ, less than TFA though

Empire
Force Awakens
A New Hope
Rogue One
Sith
ROTJ
Phantom/Clones
Clone Wars

TLJ is not on the list, because it is still too new and I have seen it only once

Oct 26, 2017
This again?

Empire Strikes Back
The Last Jedi
A New Hope
The Force Awakens
Revenge Of The Sith
Rogue One
Return Of The Jedi
Attack Of The Clones
The Phantom Menace

Marjorine

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it. The only Star Wars movie I really disliked is AOTC. But even that one? I can sit through it. I just really like Star Wars. Even bad Star Wars.

I did not like ROTS better than TFA. However, it is by far my favorite of the prequels.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OK here's the thing I have to say.

The prequels are plagued by bad scripting and insanely awkward dialogues. But all in all, the stories were compelling, the characters were unique, the world building was phenomenal (which Clone Wars and KOTOR used to its full potential), the adventure feel was great.

Maybe it's because I grew up with it but I can easily see past the issues to enjoy them.

TFA was solid despite lacking creativity and adventure. It's my least rewatched Star Wars film. (Obviously as it came out later, but by that I mean I don't really want to see it again after watching it a couple of times)

Agree with this. I still enjoy watching the prequels in run throughs (especially ROTS) despite the flaws.

But I think I have a more favorable opinion of TFA than you :P

I also really enjoyed Rogue One as a war movie set in the Star Wars universe rather than be upset at it for lack of character arcs lol

And I thought TLJ was probably the best Star Wars film...and I think ESB is the best Star Wars movie

Guess I'm one of the Weird Star Wars fans who enjoys all the movies so far :D

Oct 25, 2017
The entire prequel trilogy, ROTS included, probably rank among in the 10% percentile worst movies I've ever seen.

I've attempted to rewatch ROTS especially at the peak of my Star Wars hype and I end up turning it off after five minutes. The characters are so bad, the action is so eye-glazingly boring. I can't really think of anything redeeming outside of the quality of the CGI for 2005 and I have no idea why anyone would champion it.

There's that bit where the movie spends 2 minutes as Anakin and Obi-Wan cheer on R2-D2 for fighting off some buzz droids and I'm just like, huh, space combat is one of my favorite things in any film and yet this scene is so bad and static and dull I really just want to turn it off. Then they pop out of their little ships like action figures and go to down on perfectly choreographed, extremely boring robot slicing and dicing and I really, REALLY want to turn it off. So I do.

The Force Awakens at least engages me with plot, character, world building, humor, and so on. I'm so baffled by anyone who hates on it. At its worst, it's still a very competent movie with a coherent narrative and great action.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Obi-Wan and Anakin cheering on R2-D2 as he electrocuted buzz droids in the middle of an insanely huge battle is worse than the fathiers

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
I love it, my most quoted film of all time. I use these lines so many times in real life.

• Sith Lords are our speciality
  • Not if anything to say about it I have
  • UNLIMITED POWAH!!!!
  • Only a sith deals in absolutes
  • Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?
  • You're breaking my heart Anakin
  • I have the high ground
  • Love can't save you Padme only my new powers can do that
  • NOOOOOOOOO
  • Another happy landing
  • From my point of view the Jedi are evil
  • WELL THEN YOU ARE LOST
  • So this is how liberty dies
  • I am the senate
  • It's treason then
  • -The oppression of the Sith will never return, you have lost
  • NO, NO, NO you will die!!!
  • He has control of the senate and the courts, he's too dangerous to be left alive
  • Oh too weak, don't kill me, pweease.
  • A sith lawd?
  • I SEE THROUGH THE LIES OF THE JEDI! I do not fear the darkside as you do
  • I have brought peace, freedom, justice, and security to my new empire
  • I HATE YOOOOU!!!
  • It is only natural, he cut off your arm, you wanted revenge
  • Dewit
  • Twice the pride, double the fall
  • You underestimate my power
  • What have I DONE
  • What about the joint attack on the Wookies?
  • Go to the mustafar system, wipe out Viceroy Gunray and the other seperatist leaders. Once more the sith will ruuuuule the galaxy, and we shall have, peaaace.
  • Is it possible to learn this power? Not from a jedi
  • YOU WILL NOT TAKE HER FROM ME!
  • This will make a fine addition to my collection
  • I can feel your anger, it gives you focus, makes you strong
  • LIAR!
  • I'm sorry sir, it's time for you to leave
  • If you're not with me, then you're my enemy.

Oct 28, 2017
The prequels are better than the current sequels. The fact that we see the expanded universe and politics of the republic, and how Palpatin manipulated everything was great to show. The prequels have much more depths than 7 and 8. ROTS is the best SW movie. It had everything, politics, Anakin turning to the dark side, jedi´s demise (even though the way it was done was dumb), the end of the republic and the creation of Darth Vader.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Revenge of the sith is not in anyway shape or form a good film. It's not even a decent one, let alone better than TFA or TLJ. By every metric of filmmaking it fails as it tries to wrap up a horrid trilogy that failed right off the bat while also trying so hard to neatly tie everything up in a nice little bow. Leading to a metric fuckton of plot contrivances, (which is saying something considering the prequels are full of them), that are incredibly laughable. Like Chewbacca the war hero who worked alongside Yoda in the CW as they repelled the droid attack on the wookies. Hell Sheev and Obiwan aren't even well acted in this film when you consider what those actors are capable of. This is not good chemistry at all, as Hayden doesn't have any chemistry with any actor in this trilogy. This is two actors reading their lines, with incredibly awkward camera framing and editing doing nothing to add to the scene, which as a reveal, should be incredibly dramatic.

Meanwhile, the entire crux of Anakin's character is the fact that he's married despite that being against his upbringing. This is how they portray his romance:

There's no chemistry or believability whatsoever. Ok, so the entire crux of the character's motivation is a complete failure in every sense of the word. Yet OP wants us to believe that this is a decent film that's better than a critically acclaimed film where the people in charge actually knew what they were doing, because apparently we give films browny points for poorly exploring darker themes. :|

I'm just gonna say it but let it go guys. It's a shit film, it was a shit film when it came out a decade ago, it's still a shit film a decade later even if the CW show is good.

ROTS is easily the best of the prequels though, that I'll give OP.
Not really saying much.

Last edited:

brandonh83

Oct 25, 2017
Even if he just thought he was totally lying it's not something you just don't tell Windu or Yoda.

You think they'd say hey, it's at least worth looking into instead of just not doing anything about Palpatine for three years even after hearing from Dooku that the Chancellor is Darth Sidious while they notice the dark side surrounds the Chancellor.

True.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
Revenge of the sith is not in anyway shape or form a good film. It's not even a decent one, let alone better than TFA or TLJ. By every metric of filmmaking it fails as it tries to wrap up a horrid trilogy that failed right off the bat while also trying so hard to neatly tie everything up in a nice little bow. Leading to a metric fuckton of plot contrivances, (which is saying something considering the prequels are full of them), that are incredibly laughable. Like Chewbacca the war hero who worked alongside Yoda in the CW as they repelled the droid attack on the wookies. Hell Sheev and Obiwan aren't even well acted in this film when you consider what those actors are capable of. This is not good chemistry at all, as Hayden doesn't have any chemistry with any actor in this trilogy. This is two actors reading their lines, with incredibly awkward camera framing and editing doing nothing to add to the scene, which as a reveal, should be incredibly dramatic.

Let it go guys.

Sheev is fucking amazing in that scene. I love his shit eating grin at the 2:07 mark.

Even better when he gets turned on by Anakin's anger. "I know you would, I can feel your angah, it gives you focus, makes you strooong."

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"It's better than Attack of the Clones!"
"At least it has some original ideas, unlike Force Awakens!"

If the only way you can make a case for ROTS is by slagging off the other prequels or sequels, the n that really doesn't speak well for ROTS.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
One of the best first posts will see on this site. I rather get more movies like ROTS than generic by the number trash like TFA that was conceived by a bunch of office suits that have no idea what makes this franchise good.
TFA is literally the perfect example of the people in charge having an obsessive understanding of what made the franchise good in the first place place when it debuted 1977. If your main complaint about TFA is that it resembles the hero's journey structure of ANH, then you completely missed the point of what the film was trying to accomplish.

"It's better than Attack of the Clones!"
"At least it has some original ideas, unlike Force Awakens!"

If the only way you can make a case for ROTS is by slagging off the other prequels or sequels, the n that really doesn't speak well for ROTS.
"I'll take what barely passes as a commentary on politics over a celebration of why SW is good any day of the week!! Something something lightsaber fights and originality™ despite the hilarious amount of shoehorning to tie everything together. Yoda riding Chewbacca is original™, thus it's good, by default. "