Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
Mario 64 is one of the easiest games to just turn on and play for any amount of time. 5 minutes, 2 hours, whatever. The game needs no introduction, really, it's as essential to 3D games as its predecessors were to 2D ones. What makes my most recent playthrough unique, however, is my discovery of the PC port and its wonderful modded content.

pd95kkvi3na51.jpg

One of the most appealing factors of this PC port is the fact that there's an subset of its modding community who are dedicated to preserving the art style of the game's concept/promotional art. Seriously, these character models look nearly exactly like the models on the boxart and in the manual.

Long_Jump.PNG

What really impresses me now is the implementation of global illumination and ray tracing into the game! It seriously brings the original art style to life in a way that no modern Mario game could ever hope to achieve:

View: https://youtu.be/ChqP2ecA8qE

Applying all of this great stuff, plus some HD textures and HUD elements has brought the game back to life substantially more than Nintendo's $60 3D All Stars could ever hope to achieve. Mind, my PC isnt powerful enough to be able to use global illumination and RTX, but the game still looks really damn good. There are a few audio bugs here and there, but it's a damn fine port

Anyone interested in downloading this port should do some digging around the official website:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
everything about the decompilation project is super cool. One day I'll grab it to play the game again. Though in my case, I think I'll stick with the original models. I've seen a bunch of fan-made Mario models, and they all look off artisticly. I think my ideal way of playing this game would be with the original models, widescreen display and maybe ray-tracing. Updated controls and HD UI too.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Is Render96 a visually cohesive experience yet? Don't want to bother setting it up if it's like 45% redone models or something like that.