Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017

I'm a bit surprised that this series doesn't generate much hype on here.
I saw the first season close when it released in 2017, but never got around to Season 2 once that came out. Started it last week, nearly binged the whole thing and am in the middle of Season 3 right now. It's currently sitting at 90% on Rottentomatoes.
It's a pretty great psychological crime drama series, well acted and well written, with the highlight being Bill Pullman's turn as troubled, aging Detective Harry Ambrose.
For anyone interested Netflix, doesn't really advertise the season order. The correct one is "Cora" > "Julian" > "Jamie".

As one of the main hooks is the hows, whys and mysteries of each case please use Spoiler tags when appropriate.

Edit: As some have pointed out below, it seems S3 is not yet available on US Netflix.

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
The first season is amazing. Seriously unsettling at times and some unique twists.
I kinda hated the second season. I couldn't stand that child ... at all. It was really annoying to watch IMHO.
Third season is good again, nowhere near as good as the first one, but good.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Loved the first two seasons, super-solid series and Bill Pullman leading it is AMAZING.

Still waiting for season three to be shown in Sweden... gah.

Oct 25, 2017
The first season is amazing. Seriously unsettling at times and some unique twists.
I kinda hated the second season. I couldn't stand that child ... at all. It was really annoying to watch IMHO.
Third season is good again, nowhere near as good as the first one, but good.
I didn't hate the second season, but yeah 1 > 3 > 2 would be my ranking as well. Really underrated show.

Stike

Oct 27, 2017
The show and especially Harry Ambrose are fantastic.

Such moral twilight.

Harry shooting Jaimie in cold blood was amazing. That character has such darkness to him...

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Thanks for recommending this. We went through the first season over the past week or so.

This aired on USA? It seems a lot more risque than anything else they've done.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Late bump but I finished season 1 and I'm surprised how little attention this show gets. I had no idea it's 4 years old already - I hadn't even heard of it.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly can't tell if Bill Pullman is a good actor. Am I the only one with this problem?

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I had this series on my radar for a while, but finally got around to binging it this week on Netflix. The series as a whole is fascinating. Eight episodes a season, anthology show so each season completes its own story, though the same main character is featured throughout (unlike Fargo and True Detective that focus on different characters/settings each season). If you haven't yet, check it out.

Oct 28, 2017
So I watched the first season and it was great. Not amazing, but damn great. The series kept me hooked and the slow creep towards the reveal was well executed for the most part. Some pacing issues here and there for my liking. Even though it's only 8 episodes. I thought the acting was solid enough. So not perfect, but damn good still.

Check this out if you're looking for a murder mystery on an anthology-ish format. I think it should be said, the first season has some heavy sexual themes.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
I honestly can't tell if Bill Pullman is a good actor. Am I the only one with this problem?
Was kinda watching this over my laptop screen while bestie was binging S3. All I'll say about Pullman is that I can't keep a straight face whenever he tries to go all "super intense" in a scene, as in that S3 finale.

Oct 28, 2017
So I watched S2. It was good. Not S1 tier but quite good.

Now I'm watching late S3. The season started OK but I feel like it's gone worse. There's no sense of development or progress. It just feels dull or not well depicted.

The first two seasons had a nordic noir kinda aspect to them. The 3rd season is different and it's not working for me.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I don't think this warrants a new thread, but Season 4 is currently airing. It's OK - though his whole transition into woo believer in general bothers me. Also, this just got cancelled and won't be back for S5.

OP
OP
Seijuro

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this warrants a new thread, but Season 4 is currently airing. It's OK - though his whole transition into woo believer in general bothers me. Also, this just got cancelled and won't be back for S5.
Just saw that Season 4 is showing up on my region's Netflix in January. Looking forward to it, but a shame it's been cancelled.