• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
They did look into the messages though and did not like what they saw. They don't want guys like that representing Irish rugby. It was a good decision.

Agree - as soon as those messages came out, their careers were effectively over. Even though I don't like the court of public opinion affecting somebody's livelihood - and I am aware of the irony of posting that with this forum's history - you can't be in the public eye and expect to say those things without it potentially affecting your career. I'm sure (even though it's not possible, I'm over 100% sure) they are not the only rugby players that have said or done such things but it's the right decision.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Agree - as soon as those messages came out, their careers were effectively over. Even though I don't like the court of public opinion affecting somebody's livelihood - and I am aware of the irony of posting that with this forum's history - you can't be in the public eye and expect to say those things without it potentially affecting your career. I'm sure (even though it's not possible, I'm over 100% sure) they are not the only rugby players that have said or done such things but it's the right decision.

Their rugby careers are definitely not over. They'll get picked up by a French or English team and they'll both carry on. Their stock has both dropped quite a bit and I doubt either will play in Ulster/Ireland again but they will continue to play professional rugby.

This whole situation has been such a mess. From their own behaviour, to people including Irish politicians effectively questioning the verdict of the trial, to the complete lack of measure in any of the commentary around the situation. I fucking despise trial-by-social-media. Personally, while I think some of the messages were fairly abhorrent, my opinion would have been that they were found not guilty and should have been allowed to carry on with their careers in Ireland. But the writing was on the wall there from a long way back. I think the IRFU are sending a message to all their other players as much as anything - put yourself in this position and there will be severe consequences.

And on your last sentence, we can't prove it obviously but you're absolutely right. Professional rugby players tend to be young, have high profiles and plenty of money. You know well that they aren't the only ones.

I also think there have been some really excellent discussions on consent, which oddly have been lead by sports journalists such as these guys. There's a chance to educate people here but you need to go searching for it in the middle of all the noise.

Last edited:

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Agree with pretty much all of that, Interested Observer - everything surrounding the trial has been a mess and a lot of the stuff around it has been about sending a message.

I take your point on the careers, thinking about it. They definitely won't play in Ireland although I'd be surprised if another home nation signed them. Could happen, but I don't think a club would want the hassle - or at least not for a couple of years. France or further afield is more likely - at least in the immediate future.

Last edited:

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Watched the conclusion of the Commonwealth games 7s series, why why why did Australia kick it out for extra time against the Black Ferns?

why

Oct 26, 2017
Their rugby careers are definitely not over. They'll get picked up by a French or English team and they'll both carry on. Their stock has both dropped quite a bit and I doubt either will play in Ulster/Ireland again but they will continue to play professional rugby.

This whole situation has been such a mess. From their own behaviour, to people including Irish politicians effectively questioning the verdict of the trial, to the complete lack of measure in any of the commentary around the situation. I fucking despise trial-by-social-media. Personally, while I think some of the messages were fairly abhorrent, my opinion would have been that they were found not guilty and should have been allowed to carry on with their careers in Ireland. But the writing was on the wall there from a long way back. I think the IRFU are sending a message to all their other players as much as anything - put yourself in this position and there will be severe consequences.

And on your last sentence, we can't prove it obviously but you're absolutely right. Professional rugby players tend to be young, have high profiles and plenty of money. You know well that they aren't the only ones.

I also think there have been some really excellent discussions on consent, which oddly have been lead by sports journalists such as these guys. There's a chance to educate people here but you need to go searching for it in the middle of all the noise.

I agree with all of the above, although I doubt there'll be in England, like gir said. More likely that they'll head to France or further afield like South Africa, New Zealand or Australia and the like.

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
maybe italy if one of the clubs has the cash. Would be treated like kings there

Treviso is actually playing surprisingly well as of late. They just beat Leinster in the RDS, and although Leinster were poor, Treviso were actually playing some pretty good rugby. They won't be quite as desperate for players as they used to be (but that's probably in part due to the foreign players they've already brought in).

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
1872 Cup back in the capital :D, uplifting after watching some abysmal Scottish tackling in the Singapore 7s.

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
If they can play as well as they did against Scarlets, then they should definitely be able to. Hopefully they get off to a good start.

OP
OP
CeeCee

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
Christ Racing are having dreadful luck. No Machenaud, and now their two best 10s are injured.

gir

Oct 25, 2017
sexton looks panicked, trying to win it on his own. Should kick for the corner and trust his forwards

gir

Oct 25, 2017
that's the difference, racing have made all but one of their penalties count, leinster haven't

gir

Oct 25, 2017
terrible match to watch, but good win for leinster. Racing could have won that until the 75th minute and then they started giving away silly mistakes. Until then, thought Leinster had shot themselves in the foot

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Good win for Leinster.

Solid unspectalur rugby, neither team really got close to a try. Two stupid plays at the death with the tilt tackle and Teddy Thomas running straight to the touchline after the lineout turnover. Can't afford to do that in such a tight game.

Leinster there for the taking in the Pro 14. Munster will be licking their lips for next week.

gir

Oct 25, 2017
Good win for Leinster.

Solid unspectalur rugby, neither team really got close to a try. Two stupid plays at the death with the tilt tackle and Teddy Thomas running straight to the touchline after the lineout turnover. Can't afford to do that in such a tight game.

Leinster there for the taking in the Pro 14. Munster will be licking their lips for next week.
think glasgow can beat scarlets next weekend?

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
think glasgow can beat scarlets next weekend?

Uhh maybe. Not confident.

Glasgow have had a serious dip in form since the 6 nations. Ali Price and Peter Horne have been well off for a while. Russell is always hit or miss but even in bad games it has been fine if the other backs step up. Scarlets don't have a huge advantage at the scrum but are just as capable as the Warriors on a fast pitch and quick recycling game.

Oct 27, 2017
Been going to Leinster games since the early 2000s in Donnybrook when we were absolutely muck, amazing to see the province joining the ranks of European rugby royalty. Can't believe it's 4 wins now, unreal.

I have never watched a match I enjoyed less than the match yesterday though. The first time Leinster took the lead was on 77 or 78 mins!

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Price and Peter Horne not playing. Good.

Hogg out late. Very bad. Needed the extra runner stepping into midfield.