Mango Pilot

Alt account
Banned
Apr 8, 2024
said this in another thread at some point, but the A24 going forward will not be the A24 of the past few years. they want to make money. less experiments, more stars.
Not sure why the stars is a bad thing. I like A24 because they make original non-IP movies. So them dropping an IP is good IMO. They've already made a shit ton of movies with "stars"

Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya
my bet is that with the sexual harassmetn allegations from last year, maybe there was more scrutiny placed on Bryan Fuller as filming started and he didn't pass it so he's being forced out. I like his work but he does seem like a mega arsehole, and there's always something kind of off about his shows that I can't put my finger on, and they're all usually better after he leaves (have not seen hannibal, bit too spooky for me).

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Update: It's not dead.

bloody-disgusting.com

“Crystal Lake” – A24 Has NOT Pulled the Plug on Their ‘Friday the 13th’ TV Series [Exclusive]

Can you believe it’s now been 15 YEARS since we last saw Jason Voorhees on the screen? In the wake of several years’ worth of legal troubles, the Voorhees family was finally set to return in a new Friday the 13th television series from A24, Peacock and Bryan Fuller (“Hannibal”) titled “Crystal...

Yayy maybe the series isn't as cursed anymore. I wanna see the moody horror version of Friday the 13th.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing about a Bryan Fuller project ever goes smoothly. So I am not surprised. As a huge Hannibal and Friday the 13th fan, I very much want this show but no way I could even begin to get excited until the show had a premiere date.

Bobjob4167

Apr 29, 2024
It's too much money in the Friday franchise to just let it sit. Problem is the legal situation revolving Jason has made it toxic for any studio. It's doesn't have a guy to champion it to anyone.

EndlessSummer

Mar 21, 2022
Nooooo :(

bloody-disgusting.com

“Crystal Lake” – A24 Has NOT Pulled the Plug on Their ‘Friday the 13th’ TV Series [Exclusive]

Can you believe it’s now been 15 YEARS since we last saw Jason Voorhees on the screen? In the wake of several years’ worth of legal troubles, the Voorhees family was finally set to return in a new Friday the 13th television series from A24, Peacock and Bryan Fuller (“Hannibal”) titled “Crystal...
Yeeeeeey

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
How does Bryan Fuller have such bad luck omg
How does Bryan Fuller have such bad luck omg

Cursed franchise aside, this always seemed like a weird combination imo.
I don't know, A24 rocks, but something like this just didn't seem like their kind of project.

Also, I feel really bad for Fuller, guy has it rough.

There was a story about him being a dick and sexually harassing people during the filming of a horror documentary on trans horror on Shudder.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I'm fine with A24 moving up into mid or high budget affair assuming the focus will still be on quality to an extent.

Ideal world is that someone like Neon steps into that void while A24 successfully gets us some more interesting mid and high budget films.

American mid to big budget cinema seems so stale right now with all the remakes and sequels dominating everything.

DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021
Bryan Fuller update.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/C6uTlJcSRz5

bloody-disgusting.com

“Crystal Lake” Update: A24 Going a “Different Way” with the ‘Friday the 13th’ TV Series

This week has brought a lot of confusion about “Crystal Lake,” A24, Peacock and Bryan Fuller’s (“Hannibal”) television series expansion of the Friday the 13th franchise. While reports and rumors spread about A24 pulling the plug on the series, we told you on Monday that that’s not exactly the...

PimentaGui

Jul 29, 2021
This is what? Fifth time Fuller has left a project due to creative differences?

Guy can't catch a break

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with A24 moving up into mid or high budget affair assuming the focus will still be on quality to an extent.

Ideal world is that someone like Neon steps into that void while A24 successfully gets us some more interesting mid and high budget films.

American mid to big budget cinema seems so stale right now with all the remakes and sequels dominating everything.

There are going to be sequels from A24. MaXXXine is already one of them.

You can not avoid that for higher budget projects that require more people to watch. It's either low budget experimental only or higher budget with risk management.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
There was a story about him being a dick and sexually harassing people during the filming of a horror documentary on trans horror on Shudder.

Fuller, and the production, were sued by Sam Wineman. Wineman made very specific claims against Fuller. And then 14 people from the production spoke out to defend Fuller, including someone Wineman specifically hired as his assistant. Variety has the most recent update I could find. Can't imagine we ever know the truth. These tend to end in settlements. And Fuller has had so many productions fall apart that he certainly seems like he has something about him that is disagreeable to say the least.

The documentary was "Queer for Fear" and encompassed more than trans people, by the way.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
There are going to be sequels from A24. MaXXXine is already one of them.

You can not avoid that for higher budget projects that require more people to watch. It's either low budget experimental only or higher budget with risk management.
tbc im not against sequels as a whole, im against the sort of endless brand farming and re-farming that is dominating American cinema and has been suffocating creativity at that level right now.

I also somewhat disagree that sequels are an inevitability of big budget cinema. Two of the most successful films last year weren't sequels and cinema for the longest time thrived without anywhere near the proliferation we see today cause consumers weren't obsessed with them.

I honestly suspect the pendulum swinging back a bit and I think we are seeing that.

There will almost certainly always be a place for sequels and certain brands, what I think is happening is that endlessly farming nostalgia and familar brands is no longer the superior guaranteer it once was as consumers are showing a preference shift and running into the double edged sword of nostalgia farming where fandoms are never satisfied

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana

bloody-disgusting.com

Good news indeed. Still not gonna get my hopes up, as it'll surely get cancelled if I do.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fuller, and the production, were sued by Sam Wineman. Wineman made very specific claims against Fuller. And then 14 people from the production spoke out to defend Fuller, including someone Wineman specifically hired as his assistant. Variety has the most recent update I could find. Can't imagine we ever know the truth. These tend to end in settlements. And Fuller has had so many productions fall apart that he certainly seems like he has something about him that is disagreeable to say the least.

The documentary was "Queer for Fear" and encompassed more than trans people, by the way.
thanks for sharing the Variety article.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
tbc im not against sequels as a whole, im against the sort of endless brand farming and re-farming that is dominating American cinema and has been suffocating creativity at that level right now.

I also somewhat disagree that sequels are an inevitability of big budget cinema. Two of the most successful films last year weren't sequels and cinema for the longest time thrived without anywhere near the proliferation we see today cause consumers weren't obsessed with them.

I honestly suspect the pendulum swinging back a bit and I think we are seeing that.

There will almost certainly always be a place for sequels and certain brands, what I think is happening is that endlessly farming nostalgia and familar brands is no longer the superior guaranteer it once was as consumers are showing a preference shift and running into the double edged sword of nostalgia farming where fandoms are never satisfied

Honestly, considering humanity has basically been retelling familiar stories on a regular basis for long, long before cinema, I don't feel the same way as you. And honestly, I don't see this as any different when we've had genre domination since the beginning of cinema with westerns. Even the 70s, 80s and 90s period of cinema people was poetically about is somewhat exaggerated in terms of experimentalness and originality when you actually look at the top 10s for each year.

It's just the medium back in the day was less in terms of tech and expectations. And more films were able to be sustained soley by enthuist audiences, similar to how the wild west of gaming was low tech and also easier to support by enthuists and smaller audiences.

I also don't think you're quite seeing a preference shift from non-enthusists you think is happening. Considering how many original IPs even here just flat out get ignored. There are definitely breakout hits, but it's not the pendulum swing you're describing. Heck, to be blunt? The fickleness you're describing with fandom happens with new and experimental films too. If fans of other genres acted like horror fans did and supported new ips on the levels they did, we would see way more sci-fi, dramas, ect. But people are absolutely just a fickle about new things despite asking for it. The fandoms are absolutely fickle, but at least enough of them still tune in even when they vocally are frustrated (or maybe the ones who are vocal aren't as large as they think).

I know there's a lot of yearning for various entertainment industries to be a certain way, and for audiences to go towards those things in droves regularly. But I also think there needs to be an understanding that depending on your level of personal investment in the medium, you're not going to be as bothered by similarities in things. Enthusiasts are always going to want to see something reach it's full potential, but not everyone is going to reach that level. Not to mention people like both making their own spin on things, and seeing new takes on the familiar. It's how Greek myths, monster stories like Dracula, adventure stories like Robin Hood, ect keep surviving.