Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
My expectation has generally been that if Series X was running games at 4k, the PS5 would be at around 1800p or something using reconstruction techniques to achieve a similar level of visual fidelity. If DuskGolem thinks this is a problem, I don't know if it'll play out that way in practicality. Unless developers intend to brute force 4K at the expense of performance/visuals.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I don't believe this for a second. If Xbox One X can do 4k native vs 1440p on PS4 Pro with 2TF difference then the PS5 wont have any problems with 10TF vs 12TF.
This is literally not how any of this works. PS5 and Series X have to render more complex scenes and thus games could have lower resolution than 4K, even thought Pro and One X had native 4K games.

Oct 30, 2017
Until we actually see XSX gameplay, I'm not putting much stock into this.

Even if, give us 4k checkerboarding and let the framerates run higher.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
As long as we get the funny memes like at the start of the current gen with the differences between XB1 and Ps4 it will be worth it

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
DLSS can basically make native 4K quality without using 4K resources.
True, but DLSS is Nvidia's baby and neither PS5 or XSX have dedicator tensor cores. We know XSX offers a DirectML solution to this using FP16/8/4 compute on the GPU however. Sony hasn't talked about this yet but I'd be surprised if PS5 hasn't implemented a similar solution. Obviously it won't be as good as having dedicated hardware like Nvidia, but it could still yield better upscaling than CB/TI. None of the games in the PS5 showcase used any kind of AI upscaling though, at least DF didn't notice if they did. Not convinced any of the games in Xbox's showcase were actually running on XSX hardware tbh, think it was all PC.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would be shocked if the Series X is cheaper than a PS5 considering it's undoubtedly more expensive to manufacture. I can see Microsoft matching the price though, even if they are selling at a loss.

I mean....the GPU is more expensive, the PS5s ssd was probably more and they seem to have more expensive coprocessors on board imo. I wouldn't be surprised if their closer than most think and Microsoft is ready to take a hit sense they're making a bigger bet on services.

Wouldn't be surprised if the series X is the cheaper console.

Gatsbits

Oct 28, 2018
If it's the case, I will continue to buy third parties games on Xbox and the Ps5 for the few exclusives.

Oct 25, 2017
Matt said the same thing FWIW. The gap between these consoles is smaller than the gap between PS4 and XB1 and yet people are somehow expecting more profound differences? How does logic work?
Some people want to believe the PS5 will be hard to develop for like the PS3. And the unconventional approach to clockspeeds and the new I/0 tech, both of which are hard to explain in a simple soundbite, gives them a lot of wiggle room to believe that.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
cancelled3ujnh.gif

No true 4K, no PlayStation 5 for me then.

All the available budget will go to a RTX 3080Ti.

DLSS for the win.

Oh... wait...

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not really surprised, these past two, maybe even three gens touted a resolution (480p, 720p, 1080p) and only got there some of the time.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Console wars and conspiracy theories about the media over a number of posts
The specs alone tell us there is a gap. Whether it be small or noticeable.

Someone is going to tell us.

idk, but in yesterday's DF video in particular I got a sense that they were trying to paint Sony with the same issues MS is facing right now as far as hype and Halo reception... when that is obviously and starkly not the case at all, but they were *really* trying to push it. It was weird af. lol

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We aren't getting 4K RT outside of racing games.
RT is the feature people should be worried about being over hyped. It's not going to be pretty on consoles above 1080p.
Ratchet and clank and spiderman are both confirmed native 4k and raytraced . So is godfall and ghost wire Tokyo and plenty more

Oct 26, 2017
4K is possible but it just comes down to at what cost. We have native 4K titles on PS4, so obviously it is possible.

I thought people wanted 60fps more anyways.

maabus1999

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't believe this for a second. If Xbox One X can do 4k native vs 1440p on PS4 Pro with 2TF difference then the PS5 wont have any problems with 10TF vs 12TF.
Even though Sony says they expect the variable clocks to stay max/high, until they really prove it (or optimize it) I think there is a lot of room for at least questions how well it will truly perform, especially for third party's who balance builds between multiple hardware configs. So rumors like this are not unsurprising to at least on the hardware side to me, but as the Generation goes on I'm sure the system will tighten up with optimizations and development experience. Me personally as a PC guy, I'm not a fan of variable clocks but that is just an opinion.

True, but DLSS is Nvidia's baby and neither PS5 or XSX have dedicator tensor cores. We know XSX offers a DirectML solution to this using FP16/8/4 compute on the GPU however. Sony hasn't talked about this yet but I'd be surprised if PS5 hasn't implemented a similar solution. Obviously it won't be as good as having dedicated hardware like Nvidia, but it could still yield better upscaling than CB/TI. None of the games in the PS5 showcase used any kind of AI upscaling though, at least DF didn't notice if they did. Not convinced any of the games in Xbox's showcase were actually running on XSX hardware tbh, think it was all PC.

It is amazing how fast DLSS is maturing with such noticeable revolutionary outputs. Not sure if the console folks can work with AMD to do something similar this generation at that scale to be honest (maybe XCloud can), but in my mind that tech is far outpacing anything else being put into gaming (including those SSD's but those are pretty sexy).

Sept. 1st is going to be very interesting I think.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Considering AAA game developers seem more interested in intensive graphical effects I can't say I'm surprised.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
We'll see.

I'm sure more games will be native 4k on XSX but games like Resident Evil 3 on Xbox One X show that this isn't the right choice for every single game.

Can't wait until this whole spiel is over and we can see real facts from digital foundry, etc.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
play in' fast and loose with the term gameplay there huh?
R&C
GT7
Godfall
Sackboy
Returnal
Spider-Man
Destruction All Stars
Astro's Playroom
Bugsnax
Deathloop
Kena
Oddworld
Ghostwire Tokyo
Little Devil Inside

I'm pretty sure that all the trailers for those titles (and others I've missed) showed actual gameplay footage in some way.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
idk, but in yesterday's DF video in particular I got a sense that they were trying to paint Sony with the same issues MS is facing right now as far as hype and Halo reception... when that is obviously and starkly not the case at all, but they were *really* trying to push it. It was weird af. lol

i dont think anyones trying to push a narrative, other than to say that there will be a gap in performance between the systems. Which given the specs shouldn't be surprising. Sony is way better aligned this holiday, they have a major exclusive game at launch, microsoft doesnt

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
as someone that has played around RTX on a PC, it became very obvious some sacrifices need to be made.

truth be told I don't expect too many next gen games with raytracing to be native 4k (and be hitting 60fps), regardless of the console.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
News just in, both consoles will use reconstruction techniques or dynamic resolution etc.

Only 3 months till we find out how these consoles stack up.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
User banned (3 days): Platform wars. Concern trolling.
Just to be clear, 12.16 would be the Xbox number of we are giving them the same detailed estimate, and 10.28 is not constant so you are also measuring a variable clock by its maximum which it cannot always use. I've seen some estimates of it dropping to about 9.2 depending on load, heat, and resource needs but I'll refrain from doing that math if we think it may be lower or higher than that and i missed it. But 18% is the most generous assumption you could give PS5.

Its quite reasonable for anyone here to realize that to achieve the same performance and settings, PS5 with even that generous calculation is about 1/5th less power so of course it may not be able to have the same resolution as Series X.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It's what I expected for third-party. Otherwise games would be 4K on the Xbox Series X and PS5, with a difference in visual features. What seems likelier is they would have shared 'console' settings, the Xbox Series X would reach 4K and the PS5 would be a lower resolution.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Even though Sony says they expect the variable clocks to stay max/high, until they really prove it (or optimize it) I think there is a lot of room for at least questions how well it will truly perform, especially for third party's who balance builds between multiple hardware configs. So rumors like this are not unsurprising to at least on the hardware side to me, but as the Generation goes on I'm sure the system will tighten up with optimizations and development experience. Me personally as a PC guy, I'm not a fan of variable clocks but that is just an opinion.
*Gets popcorn

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Just to be clear, 12.16 would be the Xbox number of we are giving them the same detailed estimate, and 10.28 is not constant so you are also measuring a variable clock by its maximum which it cannot always use. I've seen some estimates of it dropping to about 9.2 depending on load, heat, and resource needs but I'll refrain from doing that math if we think it may be lower or higher than that and i missed it. But 18% is the most generous assumption you could give PS5.

Its quite reasonable for anyone here to realize that to achieve the same performance and settings, PS5 with even that generous calculation is about 1/5th less power so of course it may not be able to have the same resolution as Series X.
Nah, Cerny himself said the PS5 will run at the top clockage most of the time and will only "downclock" if the game doesn't need any extra juice.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
This seems like a reasonable difference between the two consoles. Similar performance, but some slight differences in resolution and techniques to provide a "4k" image.

I don't think they'll be an uproar about 4K vs "fake" 4K next gen.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Ratchet and clank and spiderman are both confirmed native 4k and raytraced . So is godfall and ghost wire Tokyo and plenty more

Indeed. But if I had to guess the RT settings in those games are the equivalent to "low" on PC.
I think we'll get subtle RT settings. But no RT showcases like Control.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
This doesn't really make sense as long as PS5 can output 4K. Depending on how a game is made Series X or powerful PC cards can "struggle" to run 4K as well lol (and similarly a Pro and One X can easily handle a 4K output depending on the game too)

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I thought teraflops didn't matter?!

By the way I don't get the focus on TF, since resolution is determined by the GPU power and bandwidth. Thus your percentage is false anyway, because the Series X has a RAM advantage.
So it turns out Cerny was wrong when he said 8tflops was the minimum needed for 4K?
Nope, Cerny talked about PS4 games needing 8TF to run at native 4K.
That really makes it sound like the leap from PS4 Pro to PS5 is just getting a SSD but I guess we'll see how it plays out.
Nope, we are getting a massive leap in CPU power and thus interactions, physics, ... and obviously much better graphic.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
i dont think anyones trying to push a narrative, other than to say that there will be a gap in performance between the systems. Which given the specs shouldn't be surprising. Sony is way better aligned this holiday, they have a major exclusive game at launch, microsoft doesnt

it just seems like insiders and media are trying to reignite hype for XSX, and handicap PS5 in order to do it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
Imagine believing this when we already know that all games confirmed to be getting enhancements for both Ps5 and Series X runs at 4K and 30fps or 4K and 60fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.