Status
Not open for further replies.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I just don't see the new consoles coming out this fall, too much going on with covid and potentially a recession

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I just don't see the new consoles coming out this fall, too much going on with covid and potentially a recession

i don't mind really. Other than the 'framerate and pixel counters', regular people that play games are still okay with the current gen games visual fidelity and performance.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Neither one of those things would stop the hardcore audience from purchasing the consoles on Day 1. The only thing that would delay the consoles is a complete collapse of the supply chain in China. I highly doubt that happens. I fully expect both consoles to launch this Fall. That said, they will be even more supply-constrained than usual.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Feel bad for Sony. They probably had plans to time their announcements around E3 for maximum effect and the virus screwed that all up.

Very curious to see how everything will play out. Very glad we've got some killer games to play in the meantime 😃

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Feel bad for Sony. They probably had plans to time their announcements around E3 for maximum effect and the virus screwed that all up.

Very curious to see how everything will play out. Very glad we've got some killer games to play in the meantime 😃

You mean microsoft?

If anything Sony comes out the least affected by the cancellation.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

Sony dropped out of e3 again and has no investment.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

Sony and MS are massive companies they will be fine.
Spare a thought for the smaller devs and indies that would have used E3 to market their wares.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
yup, i started to doubt after some other events got cancelled earlier and now the chances for delay until Q1 2021 are bigger.

I don't understand the logic being exercised by many people in this thread. Large gathering of people at a conference canceled in the Spring...yup, product launches in the Fall will be delayed now too. They are completely different entities. E3 is cancelled to protect publishers, journalists, and fans from getting sick when coming together at a huge conference. A product launch in the Fall has none of those risks. The supply chain would be the only thing to derail the launches.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
You mean microsoft?

If anything Sony comes out the least affected by the cancellation.

Lol, no I mean Sony. They already knew they weren't going to E3 and knew their competition would be there so I have to imagine they were preparing a strategy to time info around E3 for maximum effect, either before, during or after. Now we will have to see if MS will stick to their plan and or do something else.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I think they meant Sony knew the time and date of E3 so could plan a drop around then to suck up as much attention as possible. Now they don't know when MS is going to drop their stuff.
I don't really think they care that much and there was a good chance they have had pre e3 plans anyway.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame for everyone who was excited to go or watch, but public health is a lot more important. I'm sure the companies will rig up some cool trailers or montages to promote their new stuff in the summer, so it's not like we won't get anything cool to hype over.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The final nail in the E3 coffin? Would be a shame for it to go out like that, but what can you do?

I imagine Microsoft and Song will just do a digital E3 like press conference. I guess it just depends on what date they choose.

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Lol, no I mean Sony. They already knew they weren't going to E3 and knew their competition would be there so I have to imagine they were preparing a strategy to time info around E3 for maximum effect, either before, during or after. Now we will have to see if MS will stick to their plan and or do something else.

Ah gotcha. If they were trying to time it for Microsoft's info drop, things definitely got more ambiguous now.

Depending on how things continue even gamescom could be cancelled because that one draws a larger public crowd.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Going to be a really boring year for people in our industry and hobby, but better than than widespread pandemic and death

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017

With so many games being delayed already, I wouldn't doubt a console delay as well. I just cant think if a good release date. I know Switch released after the holidays.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Only reason I wanted E3 to still happen was to see the new direction it took that was enough to make Sony and Keighley nope out of it.

This is the right thing to do regardless.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
With so many games being delayed already, I wouldn't doubt a console delay as well. I just cant think if a good release date. I know Switch released after the holidays.

What do you mean with so many delays? Which games that were due for console launch in the Fall have been delayed? Presumably, the launch games are going to be announced later this Spring when the console events occur.

Fubuki

Jan 1, 2018
I don't understand the logic being exercised by many people in this thread. Large gathering of people at a conference canceled in the Spring...yup, product launches in the Fall will be delayed now too. They are completely different entities. E3 is cancelled to protect publishers, journalists, and fans from getting sick when coming together at a huge conference. A product launch in the Fall has none of those risks. The supply chain would be the only thing to derail the launches.
This epidemic already affect many manufacturing plants in China. It may actually delay certain products.

emperor_ing

Jan 10, 2018
United Kingdom
At this point it's probably the right decision and better to be safe than sorry. I do wonder though how this will affect the show's long-term future; if everyone goes the way of announcing everything online I'd expect either future shows to massively downsized and essentially fan conventions, or the end of E3 itself.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Being in the hospital for the last several days with my grandmom actually put this virus in preceptive for me.

We were talking to a nurse who was caring for my grandmom and the news started to talk about the virus. The nurse mentioned that everyone is worried about the virus, yet the US just had a very nasty flu season that killed at least thousand people, yet it was hardly mentioned on the news. I do remember this since near the beginning of the year, I got articles on my phone about how terrible the flu season was this year with a stain that was resistance to the flue shot and how teenagers were actually dying. Yet, this never really made the big headline news.

This isn't to discount the virus, but more of an insight how this virus got all this news, yet the flu season we just had never reached this point despite it killing more people.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
Being in the hospital for the last several days with my grandmom actually put this virus in preceptive for me.

We were talking to a nurse who was caring for my grandmom and the news started to talk about the virus. The nurse mentioned that everyone is worried about the virus, yet the US just had a very nasty flu season that killed at least thousand people, yet it was hardly mentioned on the news. I do remember this since near the beginning of the year, I got articles on my phone about how terrible the flu season was this year with a stain that was resistance to the flue shot and how teenagers were actually dying. Yet, this never really made the big headline news.

This isn't to discount the virus, but more of an insight how this virus got all this news, yet the flu season we just had never reached this point despite it killing more people.
You literally wrote that you read articles about how severe the flu season was then you go on to say how it was hardly mentioned in the news. Think about it.

Regardless, the flu was covered extensively by the US media.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
The way I see it, if they can launch consoles this fall at all, then they will. They would take a limited, supply constrained launch over no launch at all. I wouldn't rule out a delay, but at this point in time things are looking better and I would anticipate a soft launch rather than a delayed launch.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

The flu has been covered, a lot.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
You literally wrote that you read articles about how severe the flu season was then you go on to say how it was hardly mentioned in the news. Think about it.

Regardless, the flu was covered extensively by the US media.
It's also a VERY known quantity. With a partially effective vaccine. And a death rate well below 1.0%

Covid19 is deadlier, spreads just as easily/rapidly, and has no vaccine in sight. It is just MORE newsworthy than the seasonal flu.

Status
Not open for further replies.