Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
As someone whose favorite game is FF9, I'd be happy with just some boosted visuals and that's that.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that's fine. Mana-tier remake with VA and snappier battles will make it GOATed

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Who even is this person?

Either way, "not very ambitious" can mean a pretty wide range of things depending on the speaker's point of view.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I hope they do something with FFVIII as well.

The HD remasters are awful aesthetically.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
As long as the modest graphical improvements aren't mobile game tier (flat lighting and texture work) then I'm perfectly fine with this.

SketchDog

Nov 25, 2021
Toronto
I hope they do something with FFVIII as well.

The HD remasters are awful aesthetically.
I've said this a bunch of times but 6-10 should all be remade. We got 7, 9 leaked, hopefully they do the others. I'd rather take something that's mid budget if it can come out in a reasonable time and not have to wait a decade or more.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
While a 7R type of project would be a dream, I'm not sure it's realistic. But I think something similar to Dragon Quest XI would be a good fit maybe? Or is that also too ambitious?

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Just make it 60fps, tweak the battles a bit (speed em up, fix the trance system), make the card game not mandatory, and make the visuals a bit better I guess. Everything else is perfect as is.

Really hope they don't 'clutter' it up with floating health bars and other UI, FF9 is great because of how clean everything is. I love setting up my turn then holding the 'hide UI' button and watching it all play out

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Tbh I'm rather afraid of how the aesthetics of the remake will be, but hopefully its in good hands.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That quote comes off as some sort or downplaying or damage control. It's perfectly normal for a game to release multiplatform. Signing exclusivity deals is the rare thing these days.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I've said this a bunch of times but 6-10 should all be remade. We got 7, 9 leaked, hopefully they do the others. I'd rather take something that's mid budget if it can come out in a reasonable time and not have to wait a decade or more.
7 does need a proper old school remake as well. Maybe use the assets from the Remake trilogy?

Not sure if there's an appetite though.

The PC Mods are fantastic, but I'd like a proper release, also new localization to fix up all the mess from the OG translation.

The original FFVII is not the Remake trilogy. There are fundamentally different games.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Regardless of the authenticity of this 'leaker', I've always said that if FF9 was getting a remake, my ideal would be a Trials of Mana style one.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of whatever any leakers have to say, I was never expecting a IX remake to be anything close to a VII remake style game.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
All it has to be is like, 3D. It doesn't have to be fantastic 3D, just for the love of God stop using pre-rendered backgrounds and stop having battles run at 15 FPS.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
isn't this the insider that said that there were no plans for FFXVI on Xbox and days later Yoshi-p said they were planning ports for other consoels

SketchDog

Nov 25, 2021
Toronto
7 does need a proper old school remake as well. Maybe use the assets from the Remake trilogy?

Not sure if there's an appetite though.

The PC Mods are fantastic, but I'd like a proper release, also new localization to fix up all the mess from the OG translation.

The original FFVII is not the Remake trilogy. There are fundamentally different games.
I agree with you but I think that's all we're getting for 7, for better or for worse.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
While a 7R type of project would be a dream, I'm not sure it's realistic. But I think something similar to Dragon Quest XI would be a good fit maybe? Or is that also too ambitious?

DQXI might be too ambitious. The PS1 FFs have the problem of having pre rendered backgrounds that are so rich in detail, that any attempt to turn them 3D difficult without the right budget would be difficult or underwhelming. So I wonder how are they going to recreate that magic.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
FF7 is such a unique case that I doubt any FF would ever get a FF7 style remake. I don't think anybody expected a remake of that caliber.

ap_2

Jan 23, 2021
The Trials remake was fairly ambitious in that it moved a 2d sprite game into the fully 3d space. Taking FF9 from static backgrounds to full 3d would be pretty ambitious in it's own right. I expect the meaning here is that it isn't a 'AAA' type game, and will have a slightly budget feel to it, the way the Trials remake did.

I kind of hope they keep the static backgrounds though. That art is amazing.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
That doesn't seem like bad news, I'll be ok if it looks like Evercrisis.
Maybe with better backgrounds tho, sometimes they look a little bland.
FF9 art needs to be displayed in its full glory.
final-fantasy-vii-ever-crisis-release-date.jpg

Last edited:

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
As far as I am aware (very easily could have heard wrong/someone underestimating), it's more Trials of Mana than Rebirth on the scale of remakes.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
It never was going to be. Trials of Mana in terms of scope seems to make the most sense.

What I want is for them to nail the art style of the scenery. I think the visuals in that department will be a bit more than Trials in that case.

Saray

Nov 26, 2018
As long as it looks prettier than the original + Moguri mod, of which I have serious doubts, I'll be happy.

glow39

May 4, 2022
Crazy leak from random Twitter person. I think we were all expecting a FF7 tier remake

ReCross

Oct 25, 2017
Good. Save the effort and resources for a FF7R type remake for the game that deserves it. FF8.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
A Trials of Mana style remake is more than I would expect. I expected something more akin to Ever Crisis, or the Secret of Mana remake.

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
Never liked FF9 but I'm kind of excited to give it another shot with a remake. I hope it's still turn based at least.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
That is okay. FF7 is their parade and they needed to go BIG or go home

Not every project needs that kind of insane levels to it to make it good for me

OP
OP
Demon Lizardman
Oct 25, 2017
As far as I am aware (very easily could have heard wrong/someone underestimating), it's more Trials of Mana than Rebirth on the scale of remakes.
That's still pretty ambitious, because it's still taking a game that had fixed camera angles and now making it something that has a more dynamic camera/actually 3d enviroments

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Make Beatrix fully playable (eventually at some point), and a sped up battle engine and I am down to clown.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. The turbo popular golden goose ones were always FFVII and FFX.