• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11018

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, the rumor has been debunked. Nothing to see here folks...

I guess making a thread off of a SemiAccurate article is always a hard gamble.

Edit: It is strange that Intel responded to Charlie's article so quickly. They usually never release any responses to his stuff. Maybe shareholders are antsy enough about 10nm that Intel wants to nip any possible agitating news in the butt.

Well i cannot see the intel post, but that's a good move to swiftly debunk the thing. They have just reorganized the unit and changed management... i guess the employees of the unit dedicated to the process were very anxious with that rumor.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Repost:
I heard this rumour 2-3 months ago from friend working for supplier at Intel Oregon.
Something to it anyway, Intel are re-tooling Intel Israel F28 from 10nm to 14nm so as they can get some product out the door there & recoup some of the investment costs.

I heard its the back-end process that is the problem for 10nm.
Intel process is split into front-end (non-copper) and back-end (copper).
They went very ambitious with new materials for back-end & it has failed badly.
Rumour is the back-end is going to a modified 14nm node.

Interesting. And let's be honest, these numbers are so meaningless (in a lot of ways), they could still claim it was 10nm when it actually got around to shipping. It's not like they could be accused of lying, since it's all arbitrary anyways.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: It is strange that Intel responded to Charlie's article so quickly. They usually never release any responses to his stuff. Maybe shareholders are antsy enough about 10nm that Intel wants to nip any possible agitating news in the butt.
Nobody would be surprised if they'd actually cancel their 10nm process at this point. Thus the debunking since the rumor is plausible enough to affect their stocks if not sales.

It's not true according to what I've heard btw. But it's hard to say how a 10nm process which will eventually be used for Ice Lake will compare to what Intel were planning to use for Cannon Lake back in 2016. There's a huge chance that they will be significantly different.

OP
OP
Vanta Aurelius
Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Nobody would be surprised if they'd actually cancel their 10nm process at this point. Thus the debunking since the rumor is plausible enough to affect their stocks if not sales.

It's not true according to what I've heard btw. But it's hard to say how a 10nm process which will eventually be used for Ice Lake will compare to what Intel were planning to use for Cannon Lake back in 2016. There's a huge chance that they will be significantly different.

Do you think Intel is retooling to have a process structure similar to TSMC with their 7nm process? Or, is Intel just going to make further enhancements to their 14nm process and call it 10nm?

I'm just not sure of what scrapping an entire node means when Intel is dependent on launching a new node dubbed with 10nm. Are they pretty much succeeding the performance crown to AMD and the node advantage to TSMC and Samsung? Will Intel be able to regain their advantage?

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo

Intel is just 3 years late with 10nm

This is not how research works. Everything that's put in the "research" section of this image cannot technically be late; those dates are just tentative guesses for which they had to be optimistic to look good. But you can't really talk about delay for something that is in a research phase at the time this image was made.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Do you think Intel is retooling to have a process structure similar to TSMC with their 7nm process? Or, is Intel just going to make further enhancements to their 14nm process and call it 10nm?

I'm just not sure of what scrapping an entire node means when Intel is dependent on launching a new node dubbed with 10nm. Are they pretty much succeeding the performance crown to AMD and the node advantage to TSMC and Samsung? Will Intel be able to regain their advantage?
Intel's 14nm is not the same as other foundries' 14nm.

AFAIK, progress is better on their future smaller nodes. 10nm ended up being a nonstarter for them for various reasons (they say they're still working on it, but I'm not sure anybody really knows why).

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

AFAIK, progress is better on their future smaller nodes. 10nm ended up being a nonstarter for them for various reasons (they say they're still working on it, but I'm not sure anybody really knows why).
EUV is one of the reasons

OP
OP
Vanta Aurelius
Oct 27, 2017
ATL

Gamer's Nexus has a great video that goes into the possibilities around what issues Intel has ran into.

It looks like one reason things aren't working out was that Intel's jump to quad-patterning might have been too costly for 10nm to be economically viably.

Nesotenso

Oct 26, 2017
I think a lot of the hardcore PC gamers on this forum already know this, but people shouldn't read a lot into the node naming conventions. TSMC '7nm' will probably comparable to Intel's 10nm. Node process names stopped meaning anything a long time ago.

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/technology_node

hope this helps with the confusion.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think Intel is retooling to have a process structure similar to TSMC with their 7nm process?
TSMC's "7nm" is actually a step behind Intel's 10nm but it wouldn't surprise me if Intel's 10nm which will be used will end up being a bit wider than initially expected - in the same way their 14++ is wider than 14+ and 14. That being said there's zero chance of Intel's process being in any way compatible with TSMC's.

Or, is Intel just going to make further enhancements to their 14nm process and call it 10nm?
Unlikely as they have to increase density to make such statement and it won't be possible on 14nm.

Nobody will have any advantage soon and everyone will struggle with newer processes. Transistor scaling is ending, we're almost at atomic levels now. As for Intel "succeeding the performance crown to AMD", well, let's see how AMD will fare on 7nm first - and if they'll be able to actually outperform Intel's 14nm CPUs. Then again Intel can always use the same TSMC foundry which AMD is using - AMD don't have a unique production line completely to itself anymore.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody will have any advantage soon and everyone will struggle with newer processes. Transistor scaling is ending, we're almost at atomic levels now. As for Intel "succeeding the performance crown to AMD", well, let's see how AMD will fare on 7nm first - and if they'll be able to actually outperform Intel's 14nm CPUs. Then again Intel can always use the same TSMC foundry which AMD is using - AMD don't have a unique production line completely to itself anymore.

Honestly, if both companies could be fairly equal in performance when things completely stall out, it'd probably be best case scenario for everyone. Would result in best competition/prices.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if both companies could be fairly equal in performance when things completely stall out, it'd probably be best case scenario for everyone. Would result in best competition/prices.
AMD still has a lot of catching up to do for this. It's also rather naive to think that equal process would result in equal performance - ATI/AMD and NV has been using same processes for their GPUs since forever, didn't stop them from falling flat on their faces with new products from time to time. The market will still be competitive, it's just that with CPUs the end of scaling likely means the end of rising of number of CPU cores - but since we'll probably hit 16 or 32 on a consumer die by that moment this shouldn't be much of an issue.

Nov 8, 2017
Never knew there was such strong intel defenseforce in here.

It is factually true that Intel's process technology labels have remained "more honest" than those from other foundries, i.e. the sizes correlate much more closely with the actual dimensions. We hear this repeatedly from industry experts, hardware reviewers and so on. This has nothing to do with defense forces or fanboys. I'm not sure why you'd even be upset over that kind of thing since it's not an indictment of AMD (it's the foundries, not AMD or Nvidia that decide on the nomenclature).

Isn't Intel's 10nm as good as TSMC/Samsung 7nm?

They are both targeting the same ballpark. The precise perf of both nodes won't be known until we have comparable products on the market.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Intel's 10nm as good as TSMC/Samsung 7nm?
It was supposed to be better actually. But it's hard to say what will be its comparative state once it will be used for mass production now.

21824d1529099818-slide4.jpg

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
AMD still has a lot of catching up to do for this. It's also rather naive to think that equal process would result in equal performance - ATI/AMD and NV has been using same processes for their GPUs since forever, didn't stop them from falling flat on their faces with new products from time to time. The market will still be competitive, it's just that with CPUs the end of scaling likely means the end of rising of number of CPU cores - but since we'll probably hit 16 or 32 on a consumer die by that moment this shouldn't be much of an issue.

You're putting words into my mouth there. I never said equal processes = equal results. I simply said it'd be ideal if they could be close in performance when shrinks died out. Zen 2 obviously needs to make up a little more ground and AMD needs to find a way to match Intel's clock speeds, but if they can, it's a best case ending point. Contrast to where AMD was 5 years ago. That would have been an awful point (for consumers) to stall out at.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
That would have been an awful point (for consumers) to stall out at.
My point is that it never was about equal processes. The simple fact that all chips will eventually be made on a similar sized process doesn't mean that these chips will provide the same performance or even perf/dollar.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
https://wccftech.com/intel-10nm-process-not-cancelled/

Intel Replies To 10nm Process Node Cancellation Rumors: "We Are Making Good Progress on 10nm"

Intel has officially posted a reply to the cancellation reports of their 10nm process, spread by certain media outlets. According to Intel, the reports are untrue and they are still making good progress when it comes to 10nm.

Intel on 10nm Cancellation Rumors: Reports Are Untrue, Making Good Progress

Intel's 10nm woes are nothing that the tech industry isn't aware of. The company has been so far behind on schedule with what they initially promised that even Intel themselves don't exactly know when a retail product is going to ship out to consumers. This means that some sort of controversy from the rumor mill is expected to rise and that just happened to be so.

Yesterday, Semiaccurate posted in an exclusive report that Intel has killed off one of its most major technology, the 10nm process. The 10nm process has its problems and most of them are related to manufacturing delays and yields but the website reported that Intel has simply said goodbye to their 10nm process, one of the marketing highlights for many years for the company.